Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Davies to Spurs?.. 15:47 - Jun 29 with 35109 viewsAtleticoAbertawe

No idea how reliable this report is but apparently Spurs have "in principle" agreed terms with Ben Davies.

http://www.sportinastorm.com/mobile//Premier-League/Tottenham-Hotspur/Spurs-agre
[Post edited 29 Jun 2014 15:54]

"If you bring in £80, then don’t spend £100. That’s not hard, is it?" - Huw Jenkins 2013

Davies to Spurs?.. on 16:59 - Jun 30 with 2625 viewsDaggyjack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:26 - Jun 30 by Danielswan

I believe we can get a better fullback for 8 million, lots of potential and cheap players in eastern Europe

Not sure if it's been mentioned as well that we have been linked to now (& previously) to Marcos Alonso of Fiorentina. A quality left back, who did well at Sunderland on loan last season. Probably available to loan or buy and would mean we didn't have to rely on a rookie (Kingsley) as cover for Taylor.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:01 - Jun 30 with 2619 viewsMattG

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:20 - Jun 30 by AtleticoAbertawe

When you consider that we have Taylor and the new boy Kingsley at left back and the chance that Michu could well leave, I think a deal that brings Gylfi this way could prove to be a good deal for us as long as we fairly compensated.

My concern then would be the possibility of Taylor getting injured as he did in 2012/13. I know that worked out OK thanks to Ben coming in and doing such a sterling job but I'd be wary about our chances of being as lucky again.

The only reason I can see for this happening would be if Ben was desperate for the move. That would suggest he isn't happy at the Club and there's been nothing to indicate that - very much the opposite, if anything.

Of course, if the rumours of him being on £1600 a week have any substance, that might be enough. Can't see that being true, though, and raises the question of why he signed an extension last year to stay on the same wages.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:06 - Jun 30 with 2588 viewswaynekerr55

Davies to Spurs?.. on 16:59 - Jun 30 by Daggyjack

Not sure if it's been mentioned as well that we have been linked to now (& previously) to Marcos Alonso of Fiorentina. A quality left back, who did well at Sunderland on loan last season. Probably available to loan or buy and would mean we didn't have to rely on a rookie (Kingsley) as cover for Taylor.

Lets not forget we need to meet our home grown quota.

IF we were to sell 8m is nowhere near enough

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:08 - Jun 30 with 2567 viewsAnotherJohn

Davies to Spurs?.. on 16:57 - Jun 30 by Drizzy

Outside of the ridiculously over-inflated market for young British players, £8m is a a fair price for Ben in our situation. He's a talented natural footballer but has his flaws, particularly when defending crosses. Taylor is a perfectly adequate left-back, not quite as exciting, but more stable and we can use that money to invest in a quality winger who can cross a ball or a central defender who knows how to mark a striker in the box.

Don't really understand the logic here. First Davies is a British player and so that is the market. Second, given that we have so far signed two free transfer players (no doubt with signing on fees admittedly) the piggy bank with the TV money shouldn't be so empty that we can't buy a winger. 'In our situation' conveys to me small club mentality.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2014 17:09]
Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:10 - Jun 30 with 2551 viewsAtleticoAbertawe

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:01 - Jun 30 by MattG

My concern then would be the possibility of Taylor getting injured as he did in 2012/13. I know that worked out OK thanks to Ben coming in and doing such a sterling job but I'd be wary about our chances of being as lucky again.

The only reason I can see for this happening would be if Ben was desperate for the move. That would suggest he isn't happy at the Club and there's been nothing to indicate that - very much the opposite, if anything.

Of course, if the rumours of him being on £1600 a week have any substance, that might be enough. Can't see that being true, though, and raises the question of why he signed an extension last year to stay on the same wages.

You make a good point regarding Taylor's injury, if the club still has concerns about his fitness we should keep Ben if possible.

"If you bring in £80, then don’t spend £100. That’s not hard, is it?" - Huw Jenkins 2013

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:14 - Jun 30 with 2533 viewsDarran

Reading this thread I keep asking myself if anyone's ever heard of Huw Jenkins?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:16 - Jun 30 with 2515 viewsTheClash

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:14 - Jun 30 by Darran

The Future is tomorrow's today!

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:19 - Jun 30 with 2496 viewslondonlisa2001

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:14 - Jun 30 by Darran

Thank God - sense at last.

We don't exactly have recent form for underselling players - Joe Allen anyone ...

People seems to forget that a lot of these national journos are supporters of the London clubs - hence always rumours to Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and QPR!!
Login to get fewer ads

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:31 - Jun 30 with 2434 viewsjackonicko

I don't really understand why we think he is still on £1,600pw.

So, yes, Ben was on £400pw. He then signed a new contract that quadrupled his salary after he broke into the first team. That was December 2012.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2237515/Ben-Davies-sees-400-we

Then, a year later, he signed a further 12 month contract extension to 2017. You can be damn sure that after being a first team regular in the intervening 12 months, this extension was for a hell of a lot more than £1,600pw.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11731/9087040/premier-league-swansea-def
Davies to Spurs?.. on 18:50 - Jun 30 with 2242 viewsNeath_Jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:31 - Jun 30 by jackonicko

I don't really understand why we think he is still on £1,600pw.

So, yes, Ben was on £400pw. He then signed a new contract that quadrupled his salary after he broke into the first team. That was December 2012.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2237515/Ben-Davies-sees-400-we

Then, a year later, he signed a further 12 month contract extension to 2017. You can be damn sure that after being a first team regular in the intervening 12 months, this extension was for a hell of a lot more than £1,600pw.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11731/9087040/premier-league-swansea-def

It's 10k.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:12 - Jun 30 with 2185 viewsGowerjack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:47 - Jun 30 by Neath_Jack

I'm not keen on this idea that we get Gilfy in exchange or part exchange for Ben. Why do our fans always hanker to have ex players back, it very rarely works for any side. If we have to sell Ben, then lets get the maximum amount of cash for him, then go from there.

This

I'd never have ex players back.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:19 - Jun 30 with 2144 viewsjackonicko

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:12 - Jun 30 by Gowerjack

This

Except for Leon, presumably?
Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:20 - Jun 30 with 2126 viewsDrizzy

Davies to Spurs?.. on 17:08 - Jun 30 by AnotherJohn

Don't really understand the logic here. First Davies is a British player and so that is the market. Second, given that we have so far signed two free transfer players (no doubt with signing on fees admittedly) the piggy bank with the TV money shouldn't be so empty that we can't buy a winger. 'In our situation' conveys to me small club mentality.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2014 17:09]

Well it's going to be hard to understand when you choose to ignore my first statement. His nationality is irrelevant to his talent. For a player of his ability, £8m is a more than fair price. Serge Aurier, a much more accomplished full-back, is rumoured to be valued at that very price. The Luke Shaw and Andy Carroll deals are anomalies.

I wasn't meant to show a small club mentality. If anything it's the kind of business that's allowed us to grow as a club. Selling players at the right time has been key to our success. We didn't need to sell Joe Allen but doing so allowed us to invest in Chico, Michu, Ki and Hernandez with the TV money being freed up to use on developing the infrastructure. Selling him and investing wisely in two or three more players would be a good move. "Our situation" is good because we have Neil Taylor another good young left-back of equal ability who should fill the void quite comfortably.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:24 - Jun 30 with 2101 viewsDrizzy

There are some on here who would genuinely decline £10m for Ben Davies. That's Ben Davies now. Staggering. Probably the same lot who would have declined £25m for Michu last summer. If he continues his form from the latter part of last season I wonder what they'll be saying then?

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:43 - Jun 30 with 2026 viewswaynekerr55

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:24 - Jun 30 by Drizzy

There are some on here who would genuinely decline £10m for Ben Davies. That's Ben Davies now. Staggering. Probably the same lot who would have declined £25m for Michu last summer. If he continues his form from the latter part of last season I wonder what they'll be saying then?

Well my tuppence worth is that if he isn't flogged to death we'll see the
best of Ben. Football - all about opinions

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:51 - Jun 30 with 1994 viewsStarsky

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:43 - Jun 30 by waynekerr55

Well my tuppence worth is that if he isn't flogged to death we'll see the
best of Ben. Football - all about opinions

Are you talking about training again? *reaches for down arrow*

It's just the internet, init.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:52 - Jun 30 with 1989 viewsAnotherJohn

Well you have me stumped.! When somebody writes (in their first sentence ( that I allegedly missed): 'Outside of the ridiculously over-inflated market for young British players, £8m is a a fair price for Ben', I assume they do mean outside and not inside that market. Of course, Ben is most definitely inside that market because he qualifies as a home-grown player. That seems a very simple and straightforward point. No doubt Spurs would like to think that market prices for British players don't apply to a club 'in our situation', meaning a club they believe that can raid on the cheap because a nod and a wink from them will unsettle a player and force a move. To them 10 million is a fair price for Gylfi even though he can't manage more than 15 starts in a season. Wonder how much they would ask for Rose.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:53 - Jun 30 with 1976 viewswaynekerr55

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:51 - Jun 30 by Starsky

Are you talking about training again? *reaches for down arrow*

No I meant being overplayed (e.g. Taylor played well at the Emirates and was then dropped)

Although rumours have surfaced that despite the disappearance of Oscar the 21's will be doing those stupid f*cking sand dune runs again...

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:58 - Jun 30 with 1941 viewsDarran

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:12 - Jun 30 by Gowerjack

This

Like Britton like.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:58 - Jun 30 with 1935 viewsStarsky

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:58 - Jun 30 by Darran

Like Britton like.

Like Curtis like

Davies to Spurs?.. on 20:00 - Jun 30 with 1922 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:58 - Jun 30 by Darran

Like Britton like.

Gylfi was never ours to have back anyway. Great for our first season but I'd like to think we're aiming higher these days. And 10 million? No f*cking way dude

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Davies to Spurs?.. on 20:03 - Jun 30 with 1907 viewsllareggub

Levi the spurs chairman is probably one of the meanest men currently on the planet its quite simple if he wants ben davies he pays the going rate which imo starts at around the 15 million pound mark .............got to say tho gylfi did well for us it was a while ago , since he has been at spurs he hasnt been a consistent starter , makes me wonder how his value has increased
Davies to Spurs?.. on 20:05 - Jun 30 with 1900 viewswaynekerr55

Davies to Spurs?.. on 20:03 - Jun 30 by llareggub

Levi the spurs chairman is probably one of the meanest men currently on the planet its quite simple if he wants ben davies he pays the going rate which imo starts at around the 15 million pound mark .............got to say tho gylfi did well for us it was a while ago , since he has been at spurs he hasnt been a consistent starter , makes me wonder how his value has increased

Huw Jenkins is probably the only tight arse that can fight with him...or just turn his phone off

Davies to Spurs?.. on 20:08 - Jun 30 with 1876 viewsDrizzle

Davies to Spurs?.. on 19:58 - Jun 30 by Starsky

Like Curtis like

Robbie James came back and did well. So did Alan Waddle.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 20:11 - Jun 30 with 1858 viewsStarsky

Davies to Spurs?.. on 20:08 - Jun 30 by Drizzle

Robbie James came back and did well. So did Alan Waddle.

Colin pascoe,
Dai Davies cough...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024