Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Davies to Spurs?.. 15:47 - Jun 29 with 35131 viewsAtleticoAbertawe

No idea how reliable this report is but apparently Spurs have "in principle" agreed terms with Ben Davies.

http://www.sportinastorm.com/mobile//Premier-League/Tottenham-Hotspur/Spurs-agre
[Post edited 29 Jun 2014 15:54]

"If you bring in £80, then don’t spend £100. That’s not hard, is it?" - Huw Jenkins 2013

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:25 - Jul 1 with 1958 viewsUxbridge

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:22 - Jul 1 by WarwickHunt

Nope - but if he wants to go he'll go for market value which will be closer to £8m than £30m.

I suspect we'll find out soon enough...

Like Taylor wanted to go? The club has plenty of power in this instance.

There's a rather substantial difference between the market value of the player and the price it would take for us to sell someone. The argument seems to be tending to the former when the latter is surely more relevant here. I don't dispute that the highest that someone would be prepared to pay for him is £8m but I wouldn't sell at that price personally. The club may disagree and we'll find out soon enough.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:25 - Jul 1 with 1958 viewsDrizzy

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:22 - Jul 1 by WarwickHunt

Nope - but if he wants to go he'll go for market value which will be closer to £8m than £30m.

I suspect we'll find out soon enough...

Spot on.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:32 - Jul 1 with 1923 viewsJackSomething

Apropos of nothing, Sky are reporting that Fulham are going to pay £10m for Ross McCormack. Bonkers.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:35 - Jul 1 with 1904 viewsmonmouth

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:32 - Jul 1 by JackSomething

Apropos of nothing, Sky are reporting that Fulham are going to pay £10m for Ross McCormack. Bonkers.

Well they paid 12m for that Troggly bloke, and he's just an uglier version of Vasquez.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:46 - Jul 1 with 1859 viewsC_jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:24 - Jul 1 by Drizzy

You'd think he was Roberto Carlos with the way some are valuing him.

Was very exposed last season and quite poor defensively especially in the latter half of the season. We conceded an awful lot of goals from crosses on his side.

The guy was literally dumped in the deep end at 19, and told to swim, and swim he did. There were numerous shouts on here at the time that we were damaging him by playing him too much, and that's what happened. Last season is nowhere near a true reflection of his ability.

To accept £10m now for a quick buck is absolute idiocy. F**k anyone else, he's worth more than that to the club, and that's the only thing that matters.

And of course, when a cross comes in, there's nothing nobody else can do about it.. especially central defenders.

Very sad to see him being turned into an escape goat, at 21 ffs.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:52 - Jul 1 with 1830 viewsWarwickHunt

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:46 - Jul 1 by C_jack

The guy was literally dumped in the deep end at 19, and told to swim, and swim he did. There were numerous shouts on here at the time that we were damaging him by playing him too much, and that's what happened. Last season is nowhere near a true reflection of his ability.

To accept £10m now for a quick buck is absolute idiocy. F**k anyone else, he's worth more than that to the club, and that's the only thing that matters.

And of course, when a cross comes in, there's nothing nobody else can do about it.. especially central defenders.

Literally? Err....no.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:54 - Jul 1 with 1820 viewsJackSomething

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:35 - Jul 1 by monmouth

Well they paid 12m for that Troggly bloke, and he's just an uglier version of Vasquez.

Aye, that was a wee bit of a mistake. In their defence, they were hoping he'd score the goals to keep them up. Now they're possibly throwing silly money at a relatively old player who's never played above Championship level. Even while in the Championship, he's had 3 great seasons and 3 crap ones, so hardly reliable.

As for Ben, we often hear around here about a lack of ambition among the fans and realising that we're playing with the big boys now. In that case, why would we meekly accept £8m, even if Ben wants to go? As Ux keeps saying, we (presumably) don't want to sell, so we can hold out for a higher fee. Ben's under contract and he doesn't seem the type to threaten to strike or any other nonsense, so I see no reason we can't comfortably achieve in excess of £10m, even if we can't reach the £15m we got for Allen.

Would £12m be above Ben's actual value? Almost certainly, but that doesn't stop the ludicrous fees that are paid on a regular basis.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:04 - Jul 1 with 1776 viewsDrizzy

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:46 - Jul 1 by C_jack

Not a scape goat just an honest assessment of his ability. It's clear from that post your view is clouded by a fair amount of fanciful nonsense.

£10m isn't a quick buck. It's a huge fee for a full-back who we could replace for a fraction of that cost.

Login to get fewer ads

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:19 - Jul 1 with 1736 viewsicecoldjack

We Are lucky to have 2 decent full backs ib ben and neil so im not too bothered if we sell one of them.

Ben is better going forward,neil is better defending.

If we look at the daft goals conceeded last season id say the more defensive full back needs to used , taylor is far better at sniffing out danger than ben ,who IMO lacks defensive nous due to his inexperience,it Will come though and i guess it becomes a question of cashing in or perserviring ,both options Are decent ones to have.

Personally i Think we should sell at 10m or higher, what hindered taylor the most last season was not getting a decent run of games and getting his match sharp ess up to speed.

Taylor has better game management for me, while ben struggled to replicate his go forward and IMO lost a bit of confidence because of being exposed positionally,no doubt teams looked at bens game and nulified it more than once.

Our problem area is defence,lets Get our defenders pro seilt doing what they Are paid to do first, taylor is the best option hete for me.

If we sell ben for 10m id be happy, if he stays here id be happy, but one thing is certain, our back four look woeful at times and it needs a change of personell , i dont see ben improving drastically with the centre halves he has inside him so a move may be good for him and us.

Taylor on form is a very good player,given a chance to bed in he can Get back to his best .

Just my take on it !
Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:28 - Jul 1 with 1698 viewsMattG

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:04 - Jul 1 by Drizzy

Not a scape goat just an honest assessment of his ability. It's clear from that post your view is clouded by a fair amount of fanciful nonsense.

£10m isn't a quick buck. It's a huge fee for a full-back who we could replace for a fraction of that cost.

Any names? It's easy to say he could be replaced "for a fraction of that cost" but if you factor in his age and PL experience, the field narrows considerably.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't sell if a bid of £10m came in and Ben wanted to go, just that I don't think replacing him with a better alternative (or even like-for-like) would be as easy as all that.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:29 - Jul 1 with 1677 viewshooplehead

he's far from all that

8 million is robbery

fokin sell
Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:43 - Jul 1 with 1621 viewsicecoldjack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:28 - Jul 1 by MattG

Any names? It's easy to say he could be replaced "for a fraction of that cost" but if you factor in his age and PL experience, the field narrows considerably.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't sell if a bid of £10m came in and Ben wanted to go, just that I don't think replacing him with a better alternative (or even like-for-like) would be as easy as all that.

With the amount of basic errors and poor positional play we just as well gamble on a newbie anyway, same can be said for our other defenders!

Not one of them is a rock!

Ben Will Get better though and this is the problem with getting rid,just how good Will he Get or has he hit his peak?

If we have a good technically player who has pace je aint gonna be far from bens level,not the way we play, because we keep the ball well it lessens the risk of being exposed too often by attacking players.

Its when we dont have the ball ben looks a touch iffy, most dribbled past defender in the prem league i read on the Spurs forum.

No doubt ben had the second season syndrome and i feel he Will improve but gauging the level of improvement is the trick.

If we Are prepared to listen to offera maybe monk has already gauged it ?

We have a good player in taylor so we have a rare luxury in this situation, im cool with what ever the club decide .
Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:46 - Jul 1 with 1606 viewsC_jack

A huge fee? We are not in League One anymore, £10m for a key asset is paltry. We don't need the money, our transfer budget or any other operation doesn't rely on it. It's a quick buck, it doesn't change anything.

I'd like you to suggest some of these names that we could replace him 'for a fraction', I'll give you a chance to boot up the latest PC installment that you've obviously been playing a lot lately.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:48 - Jul 1 with 1600 viewsWarwickHunt

Even when the market seemingly inevitably decides his value ( immimently it seems), we'll have the nowhere near enough/didn't have to sell/can't replace him arguments on here.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, we'll probably have Taylor (a better defender), a highly promising youngster and around £10m to spend on strengthening other, more needed areas.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:51 - Jul 1 with 1593 viewsC_jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:48 - Jul 1 by WarwickHunt

Even when the market seemingly inevitably decides his value ( immimently it seems), we'll have the nowhere near enough/didn't have to sell/can't replace him arguments on here.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, we'll probably have Taylor (a better defender), a highly promising youngster and around £10m to spend on strengthening other, more needed areas.

What is £10m going to get us then? A gamble on a lower league prospect most likely.

The market has moved on, and so have we.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:53 - Jul 1 with 1575 viewsWarwickHunt

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:51 - Jul 1 by C_jack

What is £10m going to get us then? A gamble on a lower league prospect most likely.

Well, according to you, all the players we want to keep are worth £10m so it shouldn't be too difficult...
Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:57 - Jul 1 with 1549 viewsDrizzy

Michu, Amat, Chico and Routledge.

It's plenty of money in the right hands.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:01 - Jul 1 with 1528 viewsDaggyjack

£10 million? Say thanks to Ben, wish him luck and sell.
Yes, £10 million will get you a lower league prospect or failing that an international defender from abroad I'm sure with enough change for a right back or midfielder.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:04 - Jul 1 with 1516 viewsDrizzy

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:01 - Jul 1 by Daggyjack

£10 million? Say thanks to Ben, wish him luck and sell.
Yes, £10 million will get you a lower league prospect or failing that an international defender from abroad I'm sure with enough change for a right back or midfielder.

Don't bother with C_jack, mate. It's peanuts apparently.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:05 - Jul 1 with 1507 viewsC_jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:53 - Jul 1 by WarwickHunt

Well, according to you, all the players we want to keep are worth £10m so it shouldn't be too difficult...

They're worth that to the club because we have no reason to sell them other than to make a significant profit. I'd expect other clubs, in the Premier League, to have the same mentality.

We wouldn't sell any of our key players for that amount. Look around, Mccormack, a decent championship player is about to go for that. Norwich bought Van Wolfswinkel for £8m ffs.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:08 - Jul 1 with 1495 viewsDrizzy

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:05 - Jul 1 by C_jack

They're worth that to the club because we have no reason to sell them other than to make a significant profit. I'd expect other clubs, in the Premier League, to have the same mentality.

We wouldn't sell any of our key players for that amount. Look around, Mccormack, a decent championship player is about to go for that. Norwich bought Van Wolfswinkel for £8m ffs.

He's a good young player but he's far from the indispensable stalwart you're making him out to be. What's even more hilarious is that we have an arguably better replacement to play the position if he leaves.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:14 - Jul 1 with 1474 viewsC_jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 14:57 - Jul 1 by Drizzy

Michu, Amat, Chico and Routledge.

It's plenty of money in the right hands.

The same Chico you've buried for months?

Routledge was wanted off the books at Newcastle, which I previously discussed. Not relevant to this discussion.

Amat, bought as a future prospect, not someone we were going to put straight in to the side, again not relevant.

Michu is the anomaly, and a lot to do with the current manager. Never denying there are gems on the continent.

If we're looking at quality to go straight into the side, £10m isn't going to cut it.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2014 15:16]

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:26 - Jul 1 with 1420 viewsItchySphincter

Ben didn't look great in a lot of games last season and it wasn't due to being overplayed in the second half of the season either - he looked like he needed a break about four or five games in, something I almost got strung up for saying at the time. Chico can't keep getting pulled out of position or being fall guy for his increasingly more frequent brain fades.

If he doesn't step up this year or continues in a similar manner his value will be nowhere near 8 million.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:27 - Jul 1 with 1417 viewstomdickharry

Its the club's philosophy,through Jenkins,that players are sold in the best interest of our club. We must therefore assume that what would appear to be a paltry fee of £8M for Davies is a fee in the best interest of our club. We do not know at this stage of any negotiations if there is a package being put together resulting in the sale of Davies with Siggy coming to us in a straight swap,we must not lose sight of the fact that Siggy is an experienced Internation/PL player who scores goals and who may be seen by the powers to be at our club a more valuable player than Davies and they have consequently agreed to sell at what appear to many to be a low fee but in reality the aim of the exercise is to secure the services of a top class goal scoring midfield player.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:31 - Jul 1 with 1394 viewsItchySphincter

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:27 - Jul 1 by tomdickharry

Its the club's philosophy,through Jenkins,that players are sold in the best interest of our club. We must therefore assume that what would appear to be a paltry fee of £8M for Davies is a fee in the best interest of our club. We do not know at this stage of any negotiations if there is a package being put together resulting in the sale of Davies with Siggy coming to us in a straight swap,we must not lose sight of the fact that Siggy is an experienced Internation/PL player who scores goals and who may be seen by the powers to be at our club a more valuable player than Davies and they have consequently agreed to sell at what appear to many to be a low fee but in reality the aim of the exercise is to secure the services of a top class goal scoring midfield player.

True to some degree but as much as I like Gylfi I'd be sick at the thought of them taking a player we want to keep in exchange for a player that they don't want and it costing us money. If they don't want Gylfi he should be a makeweight, not the other way around.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024