Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
gone backwards 18:28 - Jan 10 with 16331 viewsswansealad69

Like monk and what he has done over the years..
But cant help feel we have lost our pass and movement around the pitch.
Yes we needed a plan b under br and ml but now we look clueless at times and the amount off times we give the ball away cheaply is shockin.
As iv said I like monk but feel our passing and patient football has gone backward.
Allso what is going on with Wayne and nathan? Nathan just seams lost and rarley cuts in to get the ball but just holds out wide.Wayne just gives the ball away or loses it time and time again.
I know im going to get some sh, t for this but we have been poor for most the season and its only a handful of games were we realy look good.
gone backwards on 10:34 - Jan 11 with 1848 viewscurleigh

gone backwards on 20:30 - Jan 10 by controversial_jack

We were nowhere near West Ham! Can you explain this please?

Ditto
gone backwards on 11:05 - Jan 11 with 1805 viewscurleigh

gone backwards on 21:12 - Jan 10 by Newhousemustscore

Yes I can. Approx 1 yr ago we played west ham and lost 2-0. We were shocking that day and in most peoples opinion we were nowhere near them and they only had 10 men. Our manager at the time was a man called michael laudrup and he was subsequently sacked. Fast forward 12 months and we matched them. I can do a more exhaustive explanation if you struggle with this. Can you confirm if you do please?

1 year ago we played them AWAY and lost 2-0. AT HOME we played them off the park, drew 0-0 only because they parked the bus, Fast forward 12 months, we were AGAIN abysmal up there, same kind of performance, yesterday apart from a 20 minute spell were were much the better team, second half reminded me of the Spurs game, there is something about Upton park that brings the worst out of us,as has been said we have finished higher than them for the last 2 seasons.
gone backwards on 12:02 - Jan 11 with 1761 viewsApeShit

gone backwards on 10:32 - Jan 11 by jacksinceever

Only six PL teams have conceded less than us this season so far - Chelsea (19), Man City + Man U (both 20), Southampton (19), Stoke (24) and Aston Villa (23). Several teams are on the same as us, but overall 7th best defence. Considering "our defending has been worst than it has been for a few seasons", that's not bad !

I hadn't looked at the stats to be honest, well just goes to show the high standards I hold our defence up to
gone backwards on 12:07 - Jan 11 with 1756 viewsjacksinceever

gone backwards on 12:02 - Jan 11 by ApeShit

I hadn't looked at the stats to be honest, well just goes to show the high standards I hold our defence up to

Fair enough!
Took me about 10 minutes to type that, what with going back and forth to the BBC Website
gone backwards on 12:16 - Jan 11 with 1727 views_

gone backwards on 23:39 - Jan 10 by acejack3065

It depends who we play. Why press a hoofball team?

When we played Liverpool away we pressed high and it worked until Jonjo gave up on 60 minutes because he's too fat.

We've been better at the back under Garry. We were more flimsy than wet cardboard under Laudrup.

What??? What are you on about?

We didn't press Liverpool at all and we were embarrassing up there.

We immediately without the ball get into shape these days, we look to create our defensive lines and invite them onto us. We don't press teams any more and we are giving traditional long ball teams like West Ham and Villa lovely amounts of time on the ball where they are enjoying it and gaining more and more confidence.

We should have gone for West Ham yesterday like we did in the last half hour. I thoroughly enjoyed the game overall though it has to be said and West Ham came down to play not just sit back, in fact they'll be gutted they didn't win that one.

It's a tough month for us and JonJo hasn't helped us but our style of play should be a lot more adventurous and our pressing game should come back immediately, especially at home.

The op makes some good points but the happy clappers won't have any of it.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

gone backwards on 12:32 - Jan 11 with 1719 viewsacejack3065

gone backwards on 12:16 - Jan 11 by _

What??? What are you on about?

We didn't press Liverpool at all and we were embarrassing up there.

We immediately without the ball get into shape these days, we look to create our defensive lines and invite them onto us. We don't press teams any more and we are giving traditional long ball teams like West Ham and Villa lovely amounts of time on the ball where they are enjoying it and gaining more and more confidence.

We should have gone for West Ham yesterday like we did in the last half hour. I thoroughly enjoyed the game overall though it has to be said and West Ham came down to play not just sit back, in fact they'll be gutted they didn't win that one.

It's a tough month for us and JonJo hasn't helped us but our style of play should be a lot more adventurous and our pressing game should come back immediately, especially at home.

The op makes some good points but the happy clappers won't have any of it.

I was at Anfield and I thought we were pressing. I watched the game back and we used a 442 press to defend. Gary Neville even highlighted it's reasonable effectiveness in the first half. He also highlighted when it fell apart, which was when Jonjo gave up and let Lallana have free reign to run at our defenders.

Our performance was pretty poor but it only fell apart completely after we were 3-1 down and two of those goals were absolute gifts.

I'd love for people slating our defence to use some stats rather than just evoking this vague sense that we have lost our way. Of course it's difficult to undermine Garry "jobs for the boys" Monk when all the stats support him and the job he's done.

The "happy clappers" won't be happy because the club is having its best ever league start and people still think the wheels are coming off.
gone backwards on 13:51 - Jan 11 with 1688 viewsApeShit

gone backwards on 12:32 - Jan 11 by acejack3065

I was at Anfield and I thought we were pressing. I watched the game back and we used a 442 press to defend. Gary Neville even highlighted it's reasonable effectiveness in the first half. He also highlighted when it fell apart, which was when Jonjo gave up and let Lallana have free reign to run at our defenders.

Our performance was pretty poor but it only fell apart completely after we were 3-1 down and two of those goals were absolute gifts.

I'd love for people slating our defence to use some stats rather than just evoking this vague sense that we have lost our way. Of course it's difficult to undermine Garry "jobs for the boys" Monk when all the stats support him and the job he's done.

The "happy clappers" won't be happy because the club is having its best ever league start and people still think the wheels are coming off.

We didn't really press them, they pressed us!
gone backwards on 13:56 - Jan 11 with 1681 viewsShonky

gone backwards on 11:05 - Jan 11 by curleigh

1 year ago we played them AWAY and lost 2-0. AT HOME we played them off the park, drew 0-0 only because they parked the bus, Fast forward 12 months, we were AGAIN abysmal up there, same kind of performance, yesterday apart from a 20 minute spell were were much the better team, second half reminded me of the Spurs game, there is something about Upton park that brings the worst out of us,as has been said we have finished higher than them for the last 2 seasons.

Played them off the park? Uh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24599797

Its just a ride...

Login to get fewer ads

gone backwards on 14:18 - Jan 11 with 1656 viewsskippyjack

gone backwards on 12:32 - Jan 11 by acejack3065

Except Lallana was Brittons... hence why he was hauled off.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

gone backwards on 14:22 - Jan 11 with 1649 viewsacejack3065

gone backwards on 14:18 - Jan 11 by skippyjack

Except Lallana was Brittons... hence why he was hauled off.

For the third goal he wasn't.
gone backwards on 14:25 - Jan 11 with 1645 viewsGreatBritton

gone backwards on 22:46 - Jan 10 by acejack3065

We are still having the bulk of possession like we did under Brendan. We are still looking for the quick killer ball like we did under Laudrup. We are still looking to play the ball from the back like we did under Roberto. We still score the bulk of our goals from open play, moving the ball from right to left, feeding it to feet or putting crosses across the box.

What's changed?

We are more alert to clearing our lines which avoids bringing unnecessary pressure onto ourselves. We are willing to dig deep and compromise the "philosophy" when needs must. We are willing to be more physical and more defensively minded in general. We also have 30 points in January.

I genuinely believe a reasonably sized section of our fans have become irritated and somewhat spoilt in recent months. I also think it's because they haven't recovered from the exit of Michael Laudrup. We had a high profile ex player as manager and our fans haven't respected the replacement. For these people there will be nothing that Garry can do to appease their lust for a superstar at the helm.

Under Garry we have looked the steadiest yet since gracing the premier league but he has been placed under more scrutiny than any Swansea City manager in the last ten years. We have won at old Trafford, beaten Arsenal at home and accumulated 30 points before February. For any club outside the Top 8 in the prem this is quite a remarkable achievement and we have done this with a manager who has been a manager for barely a year.

Despite all of this we have fans complaining about the state of our football. Honestly if Swansea City can achieve what we have in the last 6 months and it's still not satisfactory, then it's genuinely best if you find another club. Our club will never be fit to serve your needs as I don't see what we could achieve which would quench your thirst for assertaining success whilst playing attractive football.

We can have discussions about style of play but our record this year stands testament to Garry Monks ability and potential as a manager.

Spot on, Acejack
gone backwards on 14:30 - Jan 11 with 1633 viewsskippyjack

gone backwards on 14:22 - Jan 11 by acejack3065

For the third goal he wasn't.

Because it wasn't Jonjos job.. Leon was walkies... and Jonjo failed miserably filling in for him.. hence why Britton was taken off.. go and have a word with Garry if you want.. you'll listen to him more than me.. because he's skilled and I'm unskilled.. just like T2C and others wouldn't listen to me about Leighs dividend package.. until T2C confirmed it..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

gone backwards on 14:52 - Jan 11 with 1606 viewssixpenses

gone backwards on 21:12 - Jan 10 by Newhousemustscore

Yes I can. Approx 1 yr ago we played west ham and lost 2-0. We were shocking that day and in most peoples opinion we were nowhere near them and they only had 10 men. Our manager at the time was a man called michael laudrup and he was subsequently sacked. Fast forward 12 months and we matched them. I can do a more exhaustive explanation if you struggle with this. Can you confirm if you do please?

At the risk of being branded hysterical by Stasi again for a perfectly measured post

Why are you going back 12 months when they also beat us by a 2 goal margin at theirs just a month ago.

I don't understand why you would do this!!! Surely not an agenda?

I thought it was a good exciting game, but they were bossing us for much of it. However the OP makes some fair points.

I would also point out that that a year ago we had been experiencing a protracted period of major key injuries with a massively crowded fixture list. Despite that we were having a brilliant run in Europe had defeated Manu at theirs to stay in the FA cup and were still on course to stay up on straight points alone (and on like for like points were merely 1 point behind our previous amazing top ten season finish).

The fact that we lost by 2 goals to West Ham when they had just held Chelsea to a draw at theirs and were going through a period that would see Sam crowned manager of the month when they won every match in Feb by 2 goals as I remember and only ! team managed to score against them.

As Ash said himself in the press him and Monks were in the process of "Saving the club" and according to IS it was common knowledge to everyone except Laudrup that he was going to be sacked. Given I had watched Ash sulk and show no leadership on the pitch for quite a number of games, and given these players obviously had the Chairman's ear I have no idea what the atmosphere must have been like leading up to that game.

Fast Forward to last month with full support of the Chairman (indeed his credibility depending on your success), a virtually fully fit team and the strongest and most expensive team to date and yet still beaten by the same margin.

So why did you pick last year when in fact this was the manager that beat West Ham at home 3-0 as part of our best ever start to a season to date.
gone backwards on 14:56 - Jan 11 with 1590 viewsacejack3065

gone backwards on 14:30 - Jan 11 by skippyjack

Because it wasn't Jonjos job.. Leon was walkies... and Jonjo failed miserably filling in for him.. hence why Britton was taken off.. go and have a word with Garry if you want.. you'll listen to him more than me.. because he's skilled and I'm unskilled.. just like T2C and others wouldn't listen to me about Leighs dividend package.. until T2C confirmed it..

Uh it was, Gary Neville even highlighted it on Sky Sports. People were tearing him a new one for days on here over it.

Not sure what listening to Garry and your skills has to do with anything sorry. I've missed something there.
gone backwards on 15:37 - Jan 11 with 1553 viewsskippyjack

gone backwards on 14:56 - Jan 11 by acejack3065

Uh it was, Gary Neville even highlighted it on Sky Sports. People were tearing him a new one for days on here over it.

Not sure what listening to Garry and your skills has to do with anything sorry. I've missed something there.

Because Gary Nevile was wrong.. people on here were wrong..

I don't know.. maybe Garry set the team up.. Garry gives the instructions.. Garry actually manages the team.. he actually gives players roles to follow.. and the fact 'Britton' was out of position for that 3rd goal.. when he shouldn't have been.

gone backwards on 16:12 - Jan 11 with 1498 viewsjacksinceever

gone backwards on 10:32 - Jan 11 by jacksinceever

Only six PL teams have conceded less than us this season so far - Chelsea (19), Man City + Man U (both 20), Southampton (19), Stoke (24) and Aston Villa (23). Several teams are on the same as us, but overall 7th best defence. Considering "our defending has been worst than it has been for a few seasons", that's not bad !

Scrap Stoke from that list! Now we are 6th best defence
gone backwards on 16:17 - Jan 11 with 1482 viewsjacksinceever

gone backwards on 14:30 - Jan 11 by skippyjack

Careful young man. Are you suggesting that Leon might have been to blame for something there - or did I mis read it?
gone backwards on 16:24 - Jan 11 with 1470 viewsswansealad69

At no point have I slaged monk off or talked him bad.
However I do belive we have lost our traditional passing game under him.
You can go on about how many points we have and so on but the truth is we are struggling in most games when in the past we looked comfortable.
Not a single person can come on here and say they are happy with our passing ability at the moment as we are struggling to put 4 together.
Dyer just seams to atay out wide and hardly cuts inside roughts has been awfull for a wile now yet he kept playing him week in and out.
As iv said I like monk and wish him the best as he loves the club I love but think it was the wrong choice to give a guy who had no experience as coaching let alone management as a gamble.
But thats my opinion and its my right to make my opinion without being slaged off for it.
gone backwards on 16:26 - Jan 11 with 1465 viewsDarran

gone backwards on 16:24 - Jan 11 by swansealad69

You can go on about how many points we have and so on but the truth is we are struggling in most games when in the past we looked comfortable.
Not a single person can come on here and say they are happy with our passing ability at the moment as we are struggling to put 4 together.
Dyer just seams to atay out wide and hardly cuts inside roughts has been awfull for a wile now yet he kept playing him week in and out.
As iv said I like monk and wish him the best as he loves the club I love but think it was the wrong choice to give a guy who had no experience as coaching let alone management as a gamble.
But thats my opinion and its my right to make my opinion without being slaged off for it.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/135727/tom-carroll/#5

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

gone backwards on 16:45 - Jan 11 with 1429 viewsjacksinceever

gone backwards on 16:24 - Jan 11 by swansealad69

With respect , this season we have deservedly beaten Man U, Burnley, West Brom, Everton Leicester, Arsenal, QPR, Hull and Aston Villa ( I won't count Rotherham & Tranmere). That's nine PL sides. With a bit more luck, we'd also have beaten Southampton, Newcastle and Stoke, as well as got at least draws against Man City and Spurs.
From the time we won the COC to the end of Laudrup's tenure, I feel most of these matches would have been lost.
How anyone cannot see we have improved overall as a team under Monk is incredible, even if we are not playing the "pass it five yards" football (which had become boring and often ineffective)
Tom Carroll completed a reported 95 passes yesterday - not bad in a side than cannot manage to string more than four passes together.
Also you say about others going on about points, but without points, goals and a solid defence (the sixth best in the division mind) we'd be facing relegation, and none of us would be worrying about "the passing game"
gone backwards on 17:45 - Jan 11 with 1389 viewsswansealad69

gone backwards on 16:45 - Jan 11 by jacksinceever

With respect , this season we have deservedly beaten Man U, Burnley, West Brom, Everton Leicester, Arsenal, QPR, Hull and Aston Villa ( I won't count Rotherham & Tranmere). That's nine PL sides. With a bit more luck, we'd also have beaten Southampton, Newcastle and Stoke, as well as got at least draws against Man City and Spurs.
From the time we won the COC to the end of Laudrup's tenure, I feel most of these matches would have been lost.
How anyone cannot see we have improved overall as a team under Monk is incredible, even if we are not playing the "pass it five yards" football (which had become boring and often ineffective)
Tom Carroll completed a reported 95 passes yesterday - not bad in a side than cannot manage to string more than four passes together.
Also you say about others going on about points, but without points, goals and a solid defence (the sixth best in the division mind) we'd be facing relegation, and none of us would be worrying about "the passing game"

You are just beating around the bush tho.
Tell me somthing do u go to the games and have u done so for the last 5 management teams including monk?
If no then u wont understand but if u have please explain to me why u cant see the difference in our play.
As I said we rarely pass the ball over 5 times in 1 game.
We give the ball away cheaply and there for invite teams back on us.
Yes I was at them games mentioned but we didnt look convincing in many.
To say we won and deserve to is another matter as the point I made was we cant hold on to the ball and be patient anymore as we use to.
gone backwards on 18:02 - Jan 11 with 1359 viewsjacksinceever

gone backwards on 17:45 - Jan 11 by swansealad69

You are just beating around the bush tho.
Tell me somthing do u go to the games and have u done so for the last 5 management teams including monk?
If no then u wont understand but if u have please explain to me why u cant see the difference in our play.
As I said we rarely pass the ball over 5 times in 1 game.
We give the ball away cheaply and there for invite teams back on us.
Yes I was at them games mentioned but we didnt look convincing in many.
To say we won and deserve to is another matter as the point I made was we cant hold on to the ball and be patient anymore as we use to.

The point is, like many I do go and have been going since the late 1960's.
So if you want to talk about inept managers try Harry Gregg, Colin Appleton, Kevin Cullis, Alan Cork, Colin Addison and even two legends (for various reasons) Nick Cusack and Alan Curtis.
How many games over the past ten years have you heard the crowd moaning at yet another sideways five yard pass or watching the ball going round in triangles, slowly working it's way forward only to watch it work it's way back again.
For all that we could and should have done better, I for one would rather watch an exciting game like yesterday, than the boring matches which marked Sousa's tenure, some of Rodgers tenure, and much of Laudrup's last year in charge
gone backwards on 18:54 - Jan 11 with 1331 viewsshandyjack

gone backwards on 00:53 - Jan 11 by Starsky

I tell you what grips my shite on this forum...
When we we've been playing well and not getting results, we get the posters ranting that " it's no good having all that possession if we're not getting the results"
Then, when we mix it up a bit, working with the players at hand... And get the best points return yet in 4 seasons, we get the "ooh we've lost our passing game".
What we've got here, right now is a mix of these two ideals...

We're having a great season. Start enjoying it. Today's game was a good un.

this is the truth, people love a moan when there isn't anything to moan about. Try being a Villa fan or a Hull fan at the moment

Poll: Expectation for the season

gone backwards on 19:10 - Jan 11 with 1304 viewsswansealad69

gone backwards on 18:54 - Jan 11 by shandyjack

this is the truth, people love a moan when there isn't anything to moan about. Try being a Villa fan or a Hull fan at the moment

Yes I remember many off them manager's as iv been going since early 80s.
But them days are a bit diffrent to say the least
You say about boring football but it was not, its called patient and movement football, is it no coincidence that we are the worst at throwing a lead away this season?if we could hold on to the ball then teams cant score.
Please dont tell me u enjoy watching us give the ball away time and time again in every game.
U talk about boring football and management yet the best football in my opinion since I been going was played under ml when wba came here 2 seasons back.
That football in the first half was as good as it can get.
We have been praised for our football all over the world yet now cant pass for sh.t.
gone backwards on 19:20 - Jan 11 with 1292 viewsNeathJack

gone backwards on 19:10 - Jan 11 by swansealad69

Yes I remember many off them manager's as iv been going since early 80s.
But them days are a bit diffrent to say the least
You say about boring football but it was not, its called patient and movement football, is it no coincidence that we are the worst at throwing a lead away this season?if we could hold on to the ball then teams cant score.
Please dont tell me u enjoy watching us give the ball away time and time again in every game.
U talk about boring football and management yet the best football in my opinion since I been going was played under ml when wba came here 2 seasons back.
That football in the first half was as good as it can get.
We have been praised for our football all over the world yet now cant pass for sh.t.

Yesterday we completed 536 passes. When we played West Ham under Laudrup last season we completed 491 passes.

Yesterday our pass completion % was 85% compared to the corresponding fixture last season of 83%.

Yet apparently we "now cant pass for sh.t."
[Post edited 11 Jan 2015 19:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024