Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seriously, how much would it take? 09:49 - Jul 14 with 4418 viewsdingdangblue

To accept an offer for our best player, top scorer and main goal threat 3 weeks before the season starts? Hogan went to the Championship and we got 750-800k (rumoured) and its turned out an unbelievable deal with his unfortunate injury. Done went to Sheff Utd in Jan - probably trebled his wages and we got an offer we just couldn't refuse 500k +add ons (rumoured). I really cant see Barnsley paying anywhere near those amounts at this current time - surely we wouldn't just sell for any offer they make (say 200-250k)?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:17 - Jul 14 with 2941 viewszxcvbnm

I know it probably means jack but hill at the end of season awards said hendo was the best signing he ever made. I can't see hill wanting to sell hendo. Let's remember hendo is heading to the twilight of his career is not a hogan or Dawson and worth a fortune.

Hopefully this is rubbish.

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:26 - Jul 14 with 2910 viewsdingdangblue

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:17 - Jul 14 by zxcvbnm

I know it probably means jack but hill at the end of season awards said hendo was the best signing he ever made. I can't see hill wanting to sell hendo. Let's remember hendo is heading to the twilight of his career is not a hogan or Dawson and worth a fortune.

Looking at Hendo's fitness and physique he could easily go on for another 5-6 seasons - maybe more if he wished. His game doesn't rely on pace - he's just a Fantastic footballer with a fantastic football brain - bit like Teddy Sheringham who enjoyed his most successful period in his 30's.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:33 - Jul 14 with 2880 viewsTalkingSutty

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:17 - Jul 14 by zxcvbnm

200k tops because of his age.Its not worth getting upset about, it's been spelled out in capital letters by Hilly that we won't stand in the way of any player moving, that's one of the conditions when they sign for little old Rochdale. That's why we will always be, little old Rochdale.

There's no desire to gain promotion from the Chairman or board and also a percentage of supporters, so selling our best player is something we will always have to do because those players are more ambitious than our club.It's a dangerous game of Russian roulette because the margins between success and failure are very slim. The increased gate receipts this season mean there is no need to sell, but we will.

Can you imagine what would happen if we made a determined effort to keep hold of our best players?.....it doesn't bare thinking about.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2015 10:51]
Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:39 - Jul 14 with 2843 viewsSuddenLad

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:33 - Jul 14 by TalkingSutty

200k tops because of his age.Its not worth getting upset about, it's been spelled out in capital letters by Hilly that we won't stand in the way of any player moving, that's one of the conditions when they sign for little old Rochdale. That's why we will always be, little old Rochdale.

There's no desire to gain promotion from the Chairman or board and also a percentage of supporters, so selling our best player is something we will always have to do because those players are more ambitious than our club.It's a dangerous game of Russian roulette because the margins between success and failure are very slim. The increased gate receipts this season mean there is no need to sell, but we will.

Can you imagine what would happen if we made a determined effort to keep hold of our best players?.....it doesn't bare thinking about.

Care to elaborate as to which supporters don't want to see the club promoted ? Never heard any wanting the club to lose games so we don't get higher up the league table.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:44 - Jul 14 with 2824 viewsdingdangblue

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:33 - Jul 14 by TalkingSutty

Not strictly true (even though I can see from the tone of your post you are being slightly sarcastic) - we turned down Middlesbrough's offers for Craig Dawson.

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:48 - Jul 14 with 2814 viewsChaffRAFC

Think DDB is a little off with those figures, probably about £100k short on both Hogan and Done but if Henderson were to leave it would be very different.

Henderson, some regard as the best player we've ever had. He's certainly up there for me. To sell him for what would be around £200k probably just doesn't give us any benefit. We're in a position where £200k isn't a massive amount given what we'll get out of the player and therefore it would only benefit two parties, Ian Henderson (if he wanted to leave) and the club buying him.

The Matt Done transfer hit me hard, I got over it eventually but if we were to sell Ian Henderson, now, for what would only be a small some compared to his worth, then we may as well jack it all in now.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:50 - Jul 14 with 2801 viewszxcvbnm

Staying in league 1 for next season is worth an extra 300,000 or so. If keeping hendo helps then it's worth more than we'd get in a transfer fee.

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:05 - Jul 14 with 2746 viewsTalkingSutty

Seriously, how much would it take? on 10:39 - Jul 14 by SuddenLad

Care to elaborate as to which supporters don't want to see the club promoted ? Never heard any wanting the club to lose games so we don't get higher up the league table.

Well yes, if you trawl back on the forum to when the Done sale was taking place there are several regular posters who stated promotion to the Chamionship would damage the club, some of the fans who I attend games with think the same thing, but I don't think publishing their names on a open forum is the way forward. The Chairman also stated the Championship was a step too far , that must suggest he wants us to lose games going off your analogy.

Obviously you don't have to actively go out to lose a game. Selling your best players can also achieve the same aim. Does that explain it any better?

Bottom line, some fans are happy to remain in League one/ two and others think with Hilly at the helm and the right mentality from everybody at the club we could reach the Championship. I think we could have achieved that last season if we really wanted it buts that's just my opinion and others think differently.

Whether or not a season or two in the Championship would damage the club is a different discussion altogether.
Login to get fewer ads

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:16 - Jul 14 with 2716 viewsSuddenLad

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:05 - Jul 14 by TalkingSutty

Well yes, if you trawl back on the forum to when the Done sale was taking place there are several regular posters who stated promotion to the Chamionship would damage the club, some of the fans who I attend games with think the same thing, but I don't think publishing their names on a open forum is the way forward. The Chairman also stated the Championship was a step too far , that must suggest he wants us to lose games going off your analogy.

Obviously you don't have to actively go out to lose a game. Selling your best players can also achieve the same aim. Does that explain it any better?

Bottom line, some fans are happy to remain in League one/ two and others think with Hilly at the helm and the right mentality from everybody at the club we could reach the Championship. I think we could have achieved that last season if we really wanted it buts that's just my opinion and others think differently.

Whether or not a season or two in the Championship would damage the club is a different discussion altogether.

Thinking that promotion to the Championship would damage the club isn't the same as not wanting to get there.

If we look back at the Wembley loss to Stockport; did we want to win - you bet we did - were we prepared for League One ? Probably not and the extra time it took to get there was to the clubs' advantage.

On promotion, we were better prepared, had a better squad and made the transition more easily than we would have done by winning at Wembley.

(It was the change of manager that eventually did for us, or more correctly, the choice of Hill's successor. I still shudder).

I think there is a bit of a feeling that we are not yet ready for the Championship, but that won't stop the staff, management and players doing their best to get there.

We won't know how we will fare until we get there. KH wants to get there as much as anyone and I wouldn't mind betting that if he got a whiff of any ideas from above that we shouldn't go all out to get to the Championship, he would pack up and go.

Why else are he and the players here if not to achieve promotion ?
[Post edited 14 Jul 2015 11:27]

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:25 - Jul 14 with 2674 viewselectricblue

When people say Dale.are not ready for the championship level it can be taken in several ways and after the interview with Dunphy on GMR last season stating so..
I have thought about it...
The reasons i see that Dale are not ready could be:-
No proper training facilities etc..
Then there is the wage structure that players can demand at championship level which could and may well sink the club to a level of playing non league for many a season.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:38 - Jul 14 with 2635 viewsdingdangblue

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:25 - Jul 14 by electricblue

When people say Dale.are not ready for the championship level it can be taken in several ways and after the interview with Dunphy on GMR last season stating so..
I have thought about it...
The reasons i see that Dale are not ready could be:-
No proper training facilities etc..
Then there is the wage structure that players can demand at championship level which could and may well sink the club to a level of playing non league for many a season.....

The Championship TV money after next season is 5million alone. Even if we doubled our wage budget we wouldn't spend that in 2 seasons (going off our normal contract length) - then you would have increased sponsorship and gate receipts. It would take a lot more work organising behind the scenes ( maybe thats what Dunphy is frightened of ?).

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:54 - Jul 14 with 2587 viewsAtThePeake

200k.

Tangled up in blue.

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:35 - Jul 14 with 2427 viewsTalkingSutty

Seriously, how much would it take? on 11:16 - Jul 14 by SuddenLad

Thinking that promotion to the Championship would damage the club isn't the same as not wanting to get there.

If we look back at the Wembley loss to Stockport; did we want to win - you bet we did - were we prepared for League One ? Probably not and the extra time it took to get there was to the clubs' advantage.

On promotion, we were better prepared, had a better squad and made the transition more easily than we would have done by winning at Wembley.

(It was the change of manager that eventually did for us, or more correctly, the choice of Hill's successor. I still shudder).

I think there is a bit of a feeling that we are not yet ready for the Championship, but that won't stop the staff, management and players doing their best to get there.

We won't know how we will fare until we get there. KH wants to get there as much as anyone and I wouldn't mind betting that if he got a whiff of any ideas from above that we shouldn't go all out to get to the Championship, he would pack up and go.

Why else are he and the players here if not to achieve promotion ?
[Post edited 14 Jul 2015 11:27]

I have to disagree with most of that post, only a few months ago the Chairman publicly stated on Radio Manchester, promotion to the Championship wouldn't be good for the club, the thought frightened him to death. Hill was manager at the time.

Selling players like Matt Done and Ian Henderson isn't want you do if you are serious about progressing to the next league so no I don't agree that we are going all out for the Chamionship as you put it.

By the way I am not saying gaining promotion to the Championship will in the long run be in the clubs best interest, nobody knows what the financial permutations will be, it's a step into the unknown. I understand those who think it could ultimately damage the club but constantly selling our best players does more or less prevent us from ever finding out.

It's a vicious circle because we can't match other clubs when it comes to players salaries and once their head is turned they look at the financial rewards and also do Rochdale Football Club match the same ambitions as the players and I don't think they do. The lack of support from the town being the main stumbling block holding the club back and not having the confidence to push on.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2015 12:43]
Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:37 - Jul 14 with 2417 viewsFrog

I don't see why a season or 2 in the Championship would be damaging, you don't have to pay extra wages if you keep the same squad on the same deal, providing they don't have a clause in there. Players may also take a chance on the shop window effect and the club could bank some cash.
Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:40 - Jul 14 with 2399 viewsSuddenLad

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:37 - Jul 14 by Frog

I don't see why a season or 2 in the Championship would be damaging, you don't have to pay extra wages if you keep the same squad on the same deal, providing they don't have a clause in there. Players may also take a chance on the shop window effect and the club could bank some cash.

No doubt the players have clauses in contracts allowing for increases in salaries in the event of promotion.

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:46 - Jul 14 with 2364 viewstazzydjr

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:40 - Jul 14 by SuddenLad

No doubt the players have clauses in contracts allowing for increases in salaries in the event of promotion.

It would make the transfer policy more clearer and explain why Rochdale sell best talent season after season got many talented players and if Rochdale carrying on developing this talent can only be a good thing and makes the club more appealing for future big names and future England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales stars

#SellNottoGoBust

#SellfortheFuture

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:51 - Jul 14 with 2342 viewsTalkingSutty

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:40 - Jul 14 by SuddenLad

The rewards for reaching the Chamionship are very attractive and an increase in salaries wouldn't be a problem. The problem arises when 2 and 3 year contracts are awarded to players followed by a relegation.

Keep selling our best players and survive/ consolidate in league one is the diet and we have to get used to it. It's a lot better option than what we've endured for the last 40 years or so.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2015 12:55]
Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:59 - Jul 14 with 2299 viewszxcvbnm

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:51 - Jul 14 by TalkingSutty

The rewards for reaching the Chamionship are very attractive and an increase in salaries wouldn't be a problem. The problem arises when 2 and 3 year contracts are awarded to players followed by a relegation.

Keep selling our best players and survive/ consolidate in league one is the diet and we have to get used to it. It's a lot better option than what we've endured for the last 40 years or so.

All sensible clubs have relegation clauses in their contracts. So wages would decrease if the worst happened

Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:00 - Jul 14 with 2297 viewsSuddenLad

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:51 - Jul 14 by TalkingSutty

Compared to some of the absolute dross I've watched since the early 1960's, these are undoubtedly the 'Golden Days' by comparison, but that doesn't mean to say I don't want the club to continue upwards.

I'd love to see the club get promoted and I can't believe any of the staff wouldn't want to progress.

I can understand the apprehension, trepidation or call it what you will. Let's bother about that when we've achieved it.

Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:00 - Jul 14 with 2297 viewsKenBoon

I've got deja vu with this stuff, so I'll just say that it's terrible that a Football Club our size has one person doing marketing. We're a national business. You find any national business who's biggest income is selling to people (tickets, shirts, etc) and you'll find a team of people. We just do one. It is no surprise that the fan base doesn't grow.
Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:11 - Jul 14 with 2234 viewsTalkingSutty

Seriously, how much would it take? on 12:59 - Jul 14 by zxcvbnm

All sensible clubs have relegation clauses in their contracts. So wages would decrease if the worst happened

Maybe we should be asking what's the downside of promotion to the Championship and try to highlight what damage it will cause to the club.

Why do some supporters not relish reaching the Championship and what are the fears behind their thinking ? Do we have the backroom staff capable of implementing a plan to maximise the financial streams etc ?

The infrastructure of the club itself would worry me more than our ability to survive in the Championship, i wouldn't bet against Hilly getting it right on the pitch.
Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:13 - Jul 14 with 2217 viewsJL_Dale

Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:00 - Jul 14 by KenBoon

I've got deja vu with this stuff, so I'll just say that it's terrible that a Football Club our size has one person doing marketing. We're a national business. You find any national business who's biggest income is selling to people (tickets, shirts, etc) and you'll find a team of people. We just do one. It is no surprise that the fan base doesn't grow.

Fully agree with this KB, but unfortunatley this will never get addressed by the club.
Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:14 - Jul 14 with 2216 viewsTalkingSutty

Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:00 - Jul 14 by KenBoon

Agree Ken.
Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:19 - Jul 14 with 2176 viewselectricblue

Isnt it what players and managers do each season strive to reach that division above either via automatic promotion or via the play offs...
Take that out of the equasion and then is it all worth it!
Dale where once a club for the player reaching the end of his career and thats all changed..
I think we need some reasoning from the chairman upon the reasons why and then perhaps it can put this to bed as they say..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Seriously, how much would it take? on 13:25 - Jul 14 with 2150 viewsJL_Dale

Surely the aim of a football club is to win as much as possible and not just take part?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024