Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea's city centre redevelopment 14:45 - Jan 21 with 10076 viewsSwanzay

Swansea Council leader Rob Stewart and Business Minister Edwina Hart will reveal the blueprint for Swansea's city centre redevelopment on Friday morning.

With plans for a new retail and leisure space and improved links between the city centre and the sea, it is one of the most anticipated announcements in Swansea's recent history.

Can we be hopefull of a decent proposal that will regenerate the City or will this be papering over the cracks and the cheaper option?
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 15:20 - Jan 26 with 1377 viewsCopperJack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 14:11 - Jan 26 by Lord_Bony

Regarding Parc Tawe and the madness of the council.

Hammersons the owners of the retail park pulled out of a 1 BILLION pound deal to develop the city centre a few years back because of the meddling council.

This time round they are spending over £10 million on a facelift and re development of Parc Tawe..this will be good for Swansea.

All this and then the dozy twits on the council come along and impose no less than 35 restrictions in the plans. The daftest being that after its developed they cannot approach any big name companies to fill those huge size units. Wtf is the point of doing it up then? How many jobs would that create with the retail park full of quality tenants.

Luckily,Hammersons have appealed and the court overturned the council saying it will be a good gateway for people coming into the city centre to park,walk through and shop in the councils new development.

So,all good for Swansea's future but some of those councillors and planners need to lighten up and welcome more investment and development WITHOUT RESTRICTION.?..just like the council at Cardiff seems able to do...maybe that's the difference.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Hammersons pulled out because after several years because they did literally nothing - can't blame everything on the council. A large part of it was down to Hammerson's apathy.

Okay, so what if all these restaurants/shops etc go to Parc Tawe? Nobody will go into the centre, it will degenerate further, and people will complain that retail parks are the death of the city centre. Swansea council actually wanted to completely get rid of Parc Tawe and build something else there -the arena was first discussed for that site.The restrictions are there to protect the city centre - what's the point of having more strong retail parks to give people even more reasons not to visit the city?

Funny enough, the people who overturned it was a Welsh court, the same Welsh governance which has a vested interest in ensuring Swansea stays a dump, because then the £170m which is currently being spent in Cardiff every year continues, and Swansea town remains barren. I hope Parc Tawe does well, but not at the expense of the city centre,

Former council leader -

Mr Phillips said: "We wanted to ensure this development didn't torpedo any city centre development before it gets off its feet.
"It's a pity that Hammerson didn't show the same energy when they were our agent as they have with their own development."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-28839940

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 16:40 - Jan 26 with 1326 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 15:20 - Jan 26 by CopperJack

Hammersons pulled out because after several years because they did literally nothing - can't blame everything on the council. A large part of it was down to Hammerson's apathy.

Okay, so what if all these restaurants/shops etc go to Parc Tawe? Nobody will go into the centre, it will degenerate further, and people will complain that retail parks are the death of the city centre. Swansea council actually wanted to completely get rid of Parc Tawe and build something else there -the arena was first discussed for that site.The restrictions are there to protect the city centre - what's the point of having more strong retail parks to give people even more reasons not to visit the city?

Funny enough, the people who overturned it was a Welsh court, the same Welsh governance which has a vested interest in ensuring Swansea stays a dump, because then the £170m which is currently being spent in Cardiff every year continues, and Swansea town remains barren. I hope Parc Tawe does well, but not at the expense of the city centre,

Former council leader -

Mr Phillips said: "We wanted to ensure this development didn't torpedo any city centre development before it gets off its feet.
"It's a pity that Hammerson didn't show the same energy when they were our agent as they have with their own development."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-28839940

I remember the delays also but not in detail so am glad for the reminder.

No one has commented on it but, at the end of Rob Stewart's interview on HTV last week he said 'there is a £4 billion pound story to be told here'. I obviously don't know where the figures come from, they could include the barrage and the new campus, but I did read somewhere else that the £500 million quoted would be just the start.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:03 - Jan 26 with 1286 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 16:40 - Jan 26 by johnlangy

I remember the delays also but not in detail so am glad for the reminder.

No one has commented on it but, at the end of Rob Stewart's interview on HTV last week he said 'there is a £4 billion pound story to be told here'. I obviously don't know where the figures come from, they could include the barrage and the new campus, but I did read somewhere else that the £500 million quoted would be just the start.

£4 billion sounds great John, that's way more than what Carediff got..

Your petition seems to have worked!

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:04 - Jan 26 with 1255 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:03 - Jan 26 by Lord_Bony

£4 billion sounds great John, that's way more than what Carediff got..

Your petition seems to have worked!

I knew they'd listen eventually
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:32 - Jan 26 with 1241 viewsJackfath

What does Sir Terry Matthews get out of this?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:58 - Jan 26 with 1224 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:32 - Jan 26 by Jackfath

What does Sir Terry Matthews get out of this?

Or what did Sir Terry and the Swansea Bay Development Region do to get the investment (if indeed it exists)? The silence Is deafening from them. Maybe they are having problems getting the Cardiff Media to take notice. If so why don't they cry foul to SWEP who seen strangely receptive to this sort of thing at the moment. I worry that is support is the last salvo if and editor about to be replaced by the Cardiff based owners for a more Cardiff Centric appointee.
I was surprised at Sir Terry's appointment after his comments about naming the whole of South Wales 'Cardiff'. Perhaps there was method in the madness of his appointment as he can ensure our Region keeps schtum whilst Cardiff's powers on with impunity. I don't hear many protests about the lack of support for our City Deal from the Swansea Bay Region.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2016 19:00]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 19:36 - Jan 26 with 1200 viewsGowerjack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 12:30 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

Bryan.
I'm dismayed to read that.

My mother used to sing at various venues and I always believed Swansea people were musical by birth.

The Orpheus itself is world renowned for his unique sound.

Up here, live music is very vibrant and over the water, most scousers have an inate desire to show off by singing, painting, acting so arts venues are always well attended.

Many were foolked off at Manchester having so many venues ,hence the echo arena.

I bought another guitar recently and got speaking to a local band in the shop and they say live music is vital for human expression . It got pretty deep .

Wirral has a poor live music scene apart from pubs but we re lucky to be so close to Liverpool ..

Just hope this venue gets built and people get off their arses.

Time was when the rank had some decent bands playing.

Pretty depressed to read your post tbh.

How are you getting on with the Telecaster my frind?

King of Twang?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 09:42 - Jan 27 with 1130 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:58 - Jan 26 by Private_Partz

Or what did Sir Terry and the Swansea Bay Development Region do to get the investment (if indeed it exists)? The silence Is deafening from them. Maybe they are having problems getting the Cardiff Media to take notice. If so why don't they cry foul to SWEP who seen strangely receptive to this sort of thing at the moment. I worry that is support is the last salvo if and editor about to be replaced by the Cardiff based owners for a more Cardiff Centric appointee.
I was surprised at Sir Terry's appointment after his comments about naming the whole of South Wales 'Cardiff'. Perhaps there was method in the madness of his appointment as he can ensure our Region keeps schtum whilst Cardiff's powers on with impunity. I don't hear many protests about the lack of support for our City Deal from the Swansea Bay Region.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2016 19:00]

Don't believe anything until it happens, that's when we'll know the money exists.

And you're right. The Swansea Bay Development Region should be all over the SWEP plugging plugging the investment to ensure it doesn't go away. As should the Council. They, also, are struck dumb until there's a big announcement to be made. They should be screaming from the front pages all the time.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:26 - Jan 27 with 1115 viewsperchrockjack

Getting there Gower.

Im the new KEEF on the block

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024