Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea's city centre redevelopment 14:45 - Jan 21 with 9936 viewsSwanzay

Swansea Council leader Rob Stewart and Business Minister Edwina Hart will reveal the blueprint for Swansea's city centre redevelopment on Friday morning.

With plans for a new retail and leisure space and improved links between the city centre and the sea, it is one of the most anticipated announcements in Swansea's recent history.

Can we be hopefull of a decent proposal that will regenerate the City or will this be papering over the cracks and the cheaper option?
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:50 - Jan 23 with 1845 viewsdickythorpe

[Post edited 23 Jan 2016 12:13]
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 11:54 - Jan 23 with 1832 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 11:39 - Jan 23 by CopperJack

Cardiff doesn't apply because the WAG build all their developments. Want to create a mark before the Assembly Elections? Sign Langy's petition - http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/159778/petition-against-

RE: Lord Bony, the reason the council didn't want Parc Tawe signing big nanem shops/restaurants is because it's on the outskirt of town and we want to bring people into town. If we have people going there, it'll take footfall away from town - then people will complain about out of town retail parks sucking the life out of the city.

Lisa's right, there is a lot of money in Swansea these days, and this could really work. The report said there's £170m being lost every year to Trostre/Cardiff. If we can keep that, then all the better.

Rob Steward, in my opinion, has done a fantastic job so far, and if he pulls this off, will be our best ever council leader (even if he is Labour).

It is a big ask and I hope it comes off. I thought Steward had said the funding was in place. I take the point however that there is an election coming up so it is no surprise the Cardiff media are all over this. They are hoping to big up Welsh Labour thereby keeping their Cardiff Centric gravy train going by ensuring we are are good little voters and keep them in power.
3,500 thousand is not a bad size for an arena. That is seated I believe so it would be considerably bigger for a standing audience. Anyways the days if the large gigs seem to be nearly over now with fewer fewer taking place. We should also be looking at the Albert Hall (1500 seated / 5000 standing) and the Palace. The latter could take the place of the Patti for smaller gigs which is now basically used for Indian, Pakistani etc weddings.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 12:21 - Jan 23 with 1795 viewsCopperJack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 11:54 - Jan 23 by Private_Partz

It is a big ask and I hope it comes off. I thought Steward had said the funding was in place. I take the point however that there is an election coming up so it is no surprise the Cardiff media are all over this. They are hoping to big up Welsh Labour thereby keeping their Cardiff Centric gravy train going by ensuring we are are good little voters and keep them in power.
3,500 thousand is not a bad size for an arena. That is seated I believe so it would be considerably bigger for a standing audience. Anyways the days if the large gigs seem to be nearly over now with fewer fewer taking place. We should also be looking at the Albert Hall (1500 seated / 5000 standing) and the Palace. The latter could take the place of the Patti for smaller gigs which is now basically used for Indian, Pakistani etc weddings.

Unfortunately, the funding is primarily coming from the private sector so is inherently unstable. The WAG are contributing £30m - hardly the half a billion they're spending on a city deal & the billions they spent on St Davids/Cardiff Bay. They spend £20m each year just maintaining Cardiff Bay.

I think the civic centre site will be done, my biggest concern is that the St David's site will fall apart because, as nice as a new arena will be, I'd much rather have a regenerated city centre. In fairness, Steward has done well.

I'd still vote anyone but Labour in the forthcoming assembly elections (and in that thread I posted, I have an email response from Leanne Wood claiming that she would rectify the disparity in funding), but as for council elections, I think Rob Steward has earned his right to stay in his post. Done more in the last 6 months to turn Swansea around than in the previous 20 years of local government. Lets just hope it comes to fruition.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 12:30 - Jan 23 with 1791 viewsperchrockjack

Bryan.
I'm dismayed to read that.

My mother used to sing at various venues and I always believed Swansea people were musical by birth.

The Orpheus itself is world renowned for his unique sound.

Up here, live music is very vibrant and over the water, most scousers have an inate desire to show off by singing, painting, acting so arts venues are always well attended.

Many were foolked off at Manchester having so many venues ,hence the echo arena.

I bought another guitar recently and got speaking to a local band in the shop and they say live music is vital for human expression . It got pretty deep .

Wirral has a poor live music scene apart from pubs but we re lucky to be so close to Liverpool ..

Just hope this venue gets built and people get off their arses.

Time was when the rank had some decent bands playing.

Pretty depressed to read your post tbh.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 12:59 - Jan 23 with 1771 viewsLord_Bony

Yes Bryan

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 15:04 - Jan 23 with 1705 viewsDyfnant

It'll have to be a top notch development to attract people from Swansea west. Trostre's so convienient, 10'minutes down a bypass and ample parking

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:20 - Jan 23 with 1649 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff doesn't apply because the WAG build all their developments. Want to create a mark before the Assembly Elections? Sign Langy's petition - http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/159778/petition-against-

RE: Lord Bony, the reason the council didn't want Parc Tawe signing big nanem shops/restaurants is because it's on the outskirt of town and we want to bring people into town. If we have people going there, it'll take footfall away from town - then people will complain about out of town retail parks sucking the life out of the city.

Lisa's right, there is a lot of money in Swansea these days, and this could really work. The report said there's £170m being lost every year to Trostre/Cardiff. If we can keep that, then all the better.

Rob Steward, in my opinion, has done a fantastic job so far, and if he pulls this off, will be our best ever council leader (even if he is Labour).

Good reminder CJ about the petition. Signatures are stuck on 244 so all reminders welcome.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:32 - Jan 23 with 1634 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 12:21 - Jan 23 by CopperJack

Unfortunately, the funding is primarily coming from the private sector so is inherently unstable. The WAG are contributing £30m - hardly the half a billion they're spending on a city deal & the billions they spent on St Davids/Cardiff Bay. They spend £20m each year just maintaining Cardiff Bay.

I think the civic centre site will be done, my biggest concern is that the St David's site will fall apart because, as nice as a new arena will be, I'd much rather have a regenerated city centre. In fairness, Steward has done well.

I'd still vote anyone but Labour in the forthcoming assembly elections (and in that thread I posted, I have an email response from Leanne Wood claiming that she would rectify the disparity in funding), but as for council elections, I think Rob Steward has earned his right to stay in his post. Done more in the last 6 months to turn Swansea around than in the previous 20 years of local government. Lets just hope it comes to fruition.

You're right to tell people not to trust Labour. There have been plans in the past for Swansea's development which sounded great, like these ones, but they never got off the ground.

And reminding people that Leanne Wood has stated that Plaid, if they have the power, will ensure that funding is spread to where it is needed is also a point well worth making time and time again. They won't be the biggest party after the election but they'll be the ONLY party which Labour can look to to get their plans through the Assembly.

Whatever the makeup of the Assembly after the election, coalition or whatever, they'll have REAL power. They'll be able to demand that some of their plans are realised and, hopefully, that will include spreading investment round the whole of the country.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:10 - Jan 23 with 1614 viewsperchrockjack

Problem is. Swansea is labour . Labour has historically fooked up

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 09:15 - Jan 24 with 1539 viewslifelong

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:10 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

The 5 MP's representing Liverpool are Labour, 81 of the 90 Council seats there are held by Labour.... Just saying.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 9:22]
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 09:20 - Jan 24 with 1536 viewsPrivate_Partz

Welsh Labour has messed up recently. Not so on much in the past. Nationally they are better the the blue idiots in charge now but that's is for another thread. Corbyn 4 or something like that I think it is now....

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:07 - Jan 24 with 1505 viewsKilkennyjack

Built us a nice new Stadium mind .....

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:09 - Jan 24 with 1498 viewsJackfath

What I am pleased about is that in the promotional videos the developers have loads of smartly dressed non limping people carry high end shopping bags and the sun is shining.

I wonder if the people wandering around the city centre right now are aware they'll have to smarten themselves up considerably.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:24 - Jan 24 with 1486 viewsLord_Bony

Can they do some Cgi in the video to make it more realistic...this should include big issue sellers,winos, homeless in the doorways and copious amounts of charity shops and the pissheads falling out of pubs....would be good viewing I reckon...instead of this sterile, perfect world of shopping.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 11:12 - Jan 24 with 1465 viewsJackfath

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:24 - Jan 24 by Lord_Bony

Can they do some Cgi in the video to make it more realistic...this should include big issue sellers,winos, homeless in the doorways and copious amounts of charity shops and the pissheads falling out of pubs....would be good viewing I reckon...instead of this sterile, perfect world of shopping.

You forgot Gregg's paper bags, Costa coffee/Starbucks cups and dogshit.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 11:18 - Jan 24 with 1459 viewsDr_Winston

Pointless bitching about the lack of funding from the WAG. It's not going to change, and no matter what Leanne Wood says it wouldn't change under a Plaid Govt either.

Swansea will have to do it all itself or not bother and quit f*cking moaning about it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:22 - Jan 24 with 1387 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 12:59 - Jan 23 by Lord_Bony

Yes Bryan

I had to check for a minute who Bryan was lmfao

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:12 - Jan 24 with 1359 viewsDarran

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 08:32 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

It's good to see plans but it's better to see them implemented.

3500 arena ,frankly, is way to small to make it a major venue to challenge Cardiff because that is what it's about.

It's nothing to travel 40 mins to a gig.

The Liverpool arena is superb and recently held a major equestrian show ,which shows how flexible it can be. But on its own it's not enough.

I'm rather sad to see everything moving towards the sea and ideally would have liked to see the older parts regenerated. Liverpool is far luckier as was Manchester as the Luftwaffe left some architectural masterpieces untouched.

Still, its something

"It's nothing to travel 40 mins to a gig"

Or to watch "your" team.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 22:18 - Jan 25 with 1247 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Looks very good, really like the idea of gardens on top or inside of the shops in the one section. Hope it come s off as the city centre really needs this.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 08:45 - Jan 26 with 1166 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 11:18 - Jan 24 by Dr_Winston

Pointless bitching about the lack of funding from the WAG. It's not going to change, and no matter what Leanne Wood says it wouldn't change under a Plaid Govt either.

Swansea will have to do it all itself or not bother and quit f*cking moaning about it.

40 miles of motorway does not make more ambitious or better politicians. They are all the same. It is almost impossible for Swansea to do it itself without a level playing field. We have WAG and the Cardiff based media against us. It is not just Swansea though. It is the rest of Wales and this has resulted in the complete complacency of Joe Public. Shrug of the shoulders and a 'Cardiff gets everything' comment is the norm.
Moan, bitch, complain, get on the backs of the media and politicians I say. You would be surprised how twitchy they get when taken to task on this. It is a long hard road but giving up is not the answer. We have to fight our corner but it cannot be done without a massive shift in investment across the whole of Wales.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 09:12 - Jan 26 with 1147 viewsCopperJack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 08:45 - Jan 26 by Private_Partz

40 miles of motorway does not make more ambitious or better politicians. They are all the same. It is almost impossible for Swansea to do it itself without a level playing field. We have WAG and the Cardiff based media against us. It is not just Swansea though. It is the rest of Wales and this has resulted in the complete complacency of Joe Public. Shrug of the shoulders and a 'Cardiff gets everything' comment is the norm.
Moan, bitch, complain, get on the backs of the media and politicians I say. You would be surprised how twitchy they get when taken to task on this. It is a long hard road but giving up is not the answer. We have to fight our corner but it cannot be done without a massive shift in investment across the whole of Wales.

Couldn't agree more. Our city has not degenerated into a mess due to an act of God, it's because of 30 years of disproportionate investment - had we had several billion pound spent on us, then I'm sure we'd also be in a pretty good situation.

Simply accepting that your hard-earned tax money will be taken from your city, from your family and spent to make the lives of people from Cardiff even easier utterly baffles me - and if there is one enemy of Swansea, it's morons who think that the status quo should just continue as it is.

People pressure has given universal enfranchisement, partly-ended animal testing, given civil rights (in theory), ended slavery. Now, don't get me wrong, I know these are vastly different, but for people to say 'don't bother moaning or trying, just accept it', is utterly absurd.

Yes, lets all just accept that every day we're getting taken for granted whilst our money is wantonly robbed from us and spent to keep making Cardiff better whilst our families struggle to find good employment in Swansea - what a ridiculous attitude.

Write to your AM and sign the petition. If you don't want your family and friends to continue struggling, then act now before the assembly elections, because afterwards, they won't want to know and we'll have another 4/5 years of grand government buildings being built in Swansea, while our city will degenerate further.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 09:44 - Jan 26 with 1129 viewsunion_jack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 09:12 - Jan 26 by CopperJack

Couldn't agree more. Our city has not degenerated into a mess due to an act of God, it's because of 30 years of disproportionate investment - had we had several billion pound spent on us, then I'm sure we'd also be in a pretty good situation.

Simply accepting that your hard-earned tax money will be taken from your city, from your family and spent to make the lives of people from Cardiff even easier utterly baffles me - and if there is one enemy of Swansea, it's morons who think that the status quo should just continue as it is.

People pressure has given universal enfranchisement, partly-ended animal testing, given civil rights (in theory), ended slavery. Now, don't get me wrong, I know these are vastly different, but for people to say 'don't bother moaning or trying, just accept it', is utterly absurd.

Yes, lets all just accept that every day we're getting taken for granted whilst our money is wantonly robbed from us and spent to keep making Cardiff better whilst our families struggle to find good employment in Swansea - what a ridiculous attitude.

Write to your AM and sign the petition. If you don't want your family and friends to continue struggling, then act now before the assembly elections, because afterwards, they won't want to know and we'll have another 4/5 years of grand government buildings being built in Swansea, while our city will degenerate further.

I think you mean Cardiff in the last sentence but other than that, hear hear!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:02 - Jan 26 with 1113 viewsCopperJack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 09:44 - Jan 26 by union_jack

I think you mean Cardiff in the last sentence but other than that, hear hear!

Good spot! I did indeed. Lets hope enough of a fuss is created before the Assembly Elections.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:12 - Jan 26 with 1105 viewsunion_jack

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 10:02 - Jan 26 by CopperJack

Good spot! I did indeed. Lets hope enough of a fuss is created before the Assembly Elections.

Yes indeed. Time for action.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 14:11 - Jan 26 with 1034 viewsLord_Bony

Regarding Parc Tawe and the madness of the council.

Hammersons the owners of the retail park pulled out of a 1 BILLION pound deal to develop the city centre a few years back because of the meddling council.

This time round they are spending over £10 million on a facelift and re development of Parc Tawe..this will be good for Swansea.

All this and then the dozy twits on the council come along and impose no less than 35 restrictions in the plans. The daftest being that after its developed they cannot approach any big name companies to fill those huge size units. Wtf is the point of doing it up then? How many jobs would that create with the retail park full of quality tenants.

Luckily,Hammersons have appealed and the court overturned the council saying it will be a good gateway for people coming into the city centre to park,walk through and shop in the councils new development.

So,all good for Swansea's future but some of those councillors and planners need to lighten up and welcome more investment and development WITHOUT RESTRICTION.?..just like the council at Cardiff seems able to do...maybe that's the difference.

This post has been edited by an administrator

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024