Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit fear mongering 12:48 - Apr 13 with 10841 views1BobbyHazell

Wiki definition - 'Fear mongering or scaremongering is the deliberate use of fear based tactics including exaggeration and usually repetition to influence the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.'

I see David Miliband, a man, we shouldn't forget, who carries the almost unthinkable label of being deemed less effective than his brother, has been shoved out by the Secret Handshakers to terrify us all.

In a breathtaking display, even by politicians standards, of Bullshitchutzpah he has claimed that an out vote would not only contribute to the 'destruction of International order' but is 'THE NUMBER ONE THREAT TO THE GLOBAL (yes GLOBAL) ECONOMY.' !!!!!

F-ing hell!! They don't do the scaremongering by half these fellas, you know The Powers That Be are afraid of the public actually choosing something not in their plan when they start throwing around such blatantly over the top threats.

This is on the ITV News website -

"The historic failure of the IMF is that it has normally been too optimistic. When it gets gloomy, perhaps we should be afraid, very afraid. "

That's an editorial piece of writing by the way not a quote from a Stay In campaigner. All that's missing is a ghost going 'woooooo' at the end of the sentence.

Pathetic, but sadly, as they well know which is why they do it, very effective.

As for the IMF's hilarious warning, have a listen to the Icelandic President at the time of their 'exit' and the warnings he received from them. This is comfortably the best interview with a politician I have ever listened to. Very relevant to our current times. Well worth a listen.

Stay strong brothers and sisters.
Brexit fear mongering on 18:47 - Apr 13 with 2590 viewsTrom

I'm not really convinced by arguments one way or the other. On the one hand the eurozone is our major export market (around 45% of our exports I believe) but on the flip the UK remains the 5th biggest global economy (by GDP).

What I do think is the timing of this debate is crazy. We survived the credit crunch followed by the eurozone crisis and global growth remains sluggish. China is slowing down with GDP growth now at 6.8% relative to the double digit growth they had experienced. This has natural resource exporters like Brazil showing negative growth.

I just feel that this whole debate adds volatility to the UK economy and of course Eurozone economies that could well do without it given the fragility of the growth we are currently seeing. Surely the time for this vote is when the economy is more robust? Even the UKs 2.1% growth is underpinned by 0.5% base rates and the QE program remains at £375bn. So whilst we sustain the illusion of growth by punishing savers to bail out irresponsible borrowers I'm not sure that our economic growth long terms seems to be on a stable footing.

Yet politicians have opened this can of worms at this precise moment.
Brexit fear mongering on 18:55 - Apr 13 with 2580 views1BobbyHazell

Brexit fear mongering on 18:34 - Apr 13 by derbyhoop

It's not scaremongering and it's not just the IMF, though. 100 leading economists were polled by the FT in January. The assessment was that the UK's economy would be weaker next year, the result coming too late to affect 2016 performance in a significant way. How many of those 100 economists dissented from the standard view? NONE.

All assessments by leading forecasting companies point to a decline on UK GDP of between 0.5 and 9.8%. Then the governor of the BOE stated that a Brexit was the biggest threat to the UK economy.

The difficulty is that it's impossible to be certain on the possible effect as the nearest precedent is when Greenland left the EU in 1985. It took them 3 years, with considerable Danish help, to organise a free trade deal covering 56,000 people and 1 industry, fishing. For me coming out does not stack up on any economic and trade grounds. Now, if the Out campaign want to focus on any other issues, that's a different argument.

I won't get into a debate with you about the merits or accuracy of 'expert' economists and their predictions (see 2008), that's a whole thread of its own.

It is Scaremongering because we are being told that it is a 'threat to the GLOBAL ECONOMY' !!! That is a little different from a potential dip in the UK's GDP, which could happen anyway. I refer you the wiki definition of scaremongering at the top of this thread. Apt.
Brexit fear mongering on 21:04 - Apr 13 with 2514 viewsNortholt_Rs

Brexit fear mongering on 14:34 - Apr 13 by QPRDave

If we are so vital not only to the EU but globally, why didn't the EU offer us a better deal when davie boy went a beggin ?
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 14:34]

Because they knew full well he'd cave in and walk away beaming like a Cheshire Cat with the few tiny morsels they threw at him. Which is exactly what happened of course...

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Brexit fear mongering on 21:48 - Apr 13 with 2476 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I really want to vote leave, but I know it will be a Tory leave which scares the shit out of me.
Brexit fear mongering on 22:41 - Apr 13 with 2446 viewsmartincook

Great post 1BobbyHazell.
New poster. Very old R'. Stilton.
'Bye for now.
Brexit fear mongering on 00:07 - Apr 14 with 2416 viewsAgedR

Brexit fear mongering on 21:48 - Apr 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

I really want to vote leave, but I know it will be a Tory leave which scares the shit out of me.

Ah, there's the rub.

I'm almost decided to go with leave, but, the only thing holding me back is the reasons given by leave campaigners. A Tory government unshackled my a united parliamentary labour opposition or the EU is a terrifying prospect.

I'm firmly in BobbyHazell' corner. Although, in truth, I'm not sure that unbridled capital reproduction will be in any way decelerated irrespective of the result.

I'm pretty sure the British public will choose to utterly fxxk itself with all this reclaimed sovereignty.

But I'm probably still out.

If you don't have your principles...

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Brexit fear mongering on 00:41 - Apr 14 with 2406 viewsFDC

This is a pretty good debate on this from a left-y perspective. Still not sure what I think though, although I'm extremely skeptical about prospects for reforming the EU.

I really like Anindya Bhattacharya, so whatever he says.

Brexit fear mongering on 03:52 - Apr 14 with 2393 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit fear mongering on 18:34 - Apr 13 by derbyhoop

It's not scaremongering and it's not just the IMF, though. 100 leading economists were polled by the FT in January. The assessment was that the UK's economy would be weaker next year, the result coming too late to affect 2016 performance in a significant way. How many of those 100 economists dissented from the standard view? NONE.

All assessments by leading forecasting companies point to a decline on UK GDP of between 0.5 and 9.8%. Then the governor of the BOE stated that a Brexit was the biggest threat to the UK economy.

The difficulty is that it's impossible to be certain on the possible effect as the nearest precedent is when Greenland left the EU in 1985. It took them 3 years, with considerable Danish help, to organise a free trade deal covering 56,000 people and 1 industry, fishing. For me coming out does not stack up on any economic and trade grounds. Now, if the Out campaign want to focus on any other issues, that's a different argument.

I have had a few days trying to argue for Brexit without using money or immigration .Its going quite well because money is just about all the remain side have to say , but the comparison with Greenland or Norway or Canada is like comparing Barcelona with Bradford City
. We are the 5th biggest world economy , we are the financial centre of the world , we have the best innovators and universities . In 85 there was no internet , everything took longer we could do the trade deals much faster now . How did we lose so much confidence in ourselves and what we can achieve ?
The ttip arguement is the best though . You cant be against ttip and vote to stay ... fact .
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 3:56]
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit fear mongering on 03:55 - Apr 14 with 2391 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit fear mongering on 21:48 - Apr 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

A vote to stay is a vote for ttip ..
Brexit fear mongering on 04:54 - Apr 14 with 2382 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Brexit fear mongering on 03:55 - Apr 14 by essextaxiboy

A vote to stay is a vote for ttip ..

This is the thing, TTIP is awful, but a EU free Tory Britain would dream up some other unimaginable abomination.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 5:31]
Brexit fear mongering on 07:42 - Apr 14 with 2353 viewsQPRDave

Received my govt propaganda yesterday and will be sending it straight back to sender.
I read that the EU are going to force us to take more migrants as well.
All the fear mongering by the IN crowd over the economy and how we'll be ruined, is nothing compared to the influx of people walking into this country, which is at breaking point within the nhs schools and housing etc is far more worrying.
Brexit fear mongering on 07:49 - Apr 14 with 2348 viewsDorse

Brexit fear mongering on 04:54 - Apr 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

This is the thing, TTIP is awful, but a EU free Tory Britain would dream up some other unimaginable abomination.

Sounds like HP Lovecraft has written half the thread: 'The Unnamable', 'The Lurking Fear', 'The Thing On The Doorstep', 'The Road To Madness'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Brexit fear mongering on 08:11 - Apr 14 with 2333 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit fear mongering on 04:54 - Apr 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

As you know I have a different view but at least if we are out ,you and anyone who shares your views can vote the Torys out as soon as 2020 if you dont like their abominations .

Who knows , dump the lame duck Corbyn and get someone like Dan Jarvis in the hot seat and you might even persuade me ...maybe

Try getting rid of the Eurocrats who are negotiating TTIP though ... no chance
Brexit fear mongering on 08:21 - Apr 14 with 2324 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit fear mongering on 07:42 - Apr 14 by QPRDave

Received my govt propaganda yesterday and will be sending it straight back to sender.
I read that the EU are going to force us to take more migrants as well.
All the fear mongering by the IN crowd over the economy and how we'll be ruined, is nothing compared to the influx of people walking into this country, which is at breaking point within the nhs schools and housing etc is far more worrying.

As soon as we vote to stay, the EU will see it as a ringing endorsement for everything they are doing .

Anything that Dave has not "negotiated" will be assumed to be ok , and IMO some of what he has got agreement on will be kicked into promise land .

Thats Turkey in the EU, an EU Army even if we are "allowed" to keep our own and of course TTIP.......... thats for starters .

Owzat for project fear ?
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 8:22]
Brexit fear mongering on 08:28 - Apr 14 with 2317 viewsDiscodroids

I always wondered about Bono and his ilk, on the tele this morning extolling the virtues of the EU ,because he writes and sings a few songs why he should have any more say than Flo at number 32 withthe freshly washed nets?

When elevated to celeb-hood, are you allotted super-human powers, precognition, does your IQ shoot up or perhaps your ego expands exponentially because you are surrounded by yes men and women. You must carry gravitas because you can rhyme "lepers in your head" with"come to raise the dead" ?

In any case he should think about just fcking off.

i also noted that CEO of The Electoral Commission, Claire Bassett, nominated 'VOTELEAVE' the less robust and far less popular body compared to' GO ' As the official campaign for the Referendum..

Claire Basset....a common purpose graduate.. Were fkd.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 8:30]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Brexit fear mongering on 08:32 - Apr 14 with 2082 viewsElHoop

On Betfair a Brexit was 2.98 (just under 2/1) when the referendum was called. It then drifted to around 3.6 I think, but it's now back to 2.98 again. So the campaign to date and a whole lot of scaremongering hasn't got them anywhere at all. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Brexit campaign itself gets moving as we've not heard much at all from anyone apart from the scaremongers.
Brexit fear mongering on 08:55 - Apr 14 with 2067 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Wait until the economic immigrants/illegal immigrants and occasional refugee start pouring into Greece etc again.

That will turn a lot of people, it hasn't started yet.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Brexit fear mongering on 09:14 - Apr 14 with 2054 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'm not keen to dip my toe into this debate, but, whichever side of the debate you stand, for the record I'll give you three post-Brexit predictions:-

1. Big push for Scottish independence, possibly Welsh too.
2. Shitstorm in Northern Ireland - Unionists big supporters of Brexit, Republicans other way round. Not going to re-start the Troubles, but going to make the power-sharing even trickier.
3. Even bigger shitstorm in Tory party. Probable resignation of Dave, maybe Osbourne too; even if not, really tough job for them to work alongside cabinet members who will have politically damaged them. Personally I don't think any of the Brexiters in the cabinet are fit to run a whelk-stall; if Boris Johnson is your best shot for PM, you're in trouble. Given the size of the Tory majority, with the SNP, Greens, Lib Dems and Plaid Cymru wholeheartedly pro-EU and the Labour parry likely to unite on a bash-the-Tories agenda, it'll be "interesting" to see how a Eurosceptic Tory cabinet manages to run the country with UKIP and Unionist support.
Brexit fear mongering on 10:37 - Apr 14 with 2027 viewsTheBlob

Brexit fear mongering on 09:14 - Apr 14 by CiderwithRsie

I'm not keen to dip my toe into this debate, but, whichever side of the debate you stand, for the record I'll give you three post-Brexit predictions:-

1. Big push for Scottish independence, possibly Welsh too.
2. Shitstorm in Northern Ireland - Unionists big supporters of Brexit, Republicans other way round. Not going to re-start the Troubles, but going to make the power-sharing even trickier.
3. Even bigger shitstorm in Tory party. Probable resignation of Dave, maybe Osbourne too; even if not, really tough job for them to work alongside cabinet members who will have politically damaged them. Personally I don't think any of the Brexiters in the cabinet are fit to run a whelk-stall; if Boris Johnson is your best shot for PM, you're in trouble. Given the size of the Tory majority, with the SNP, Greens, Lib Dems and Plaid Cymru wholeheartedly pro-EU and the Labour parry likely to unite on a bash-the-Tories agenda, it'll be "interesting" to see how a Eurosceptic Tory cabinet manages to run the country with UKIP and Unionist support.

Thw Welsh pushing for independence?They know which side their bread's buttered - preferably both sides - and are not as militant as the Scots.We've got one of the biggest contingent on "ins" here in Ceredigion since massive amounts of farming subsidies come from the EU.The UK gov say they'll take up the slack if we pull out but who knows.
We've got an absolute joke of a leader,Carwyn Jones,who was cruelly exposed for his mind boggling ignorance on Question Time a little while back.All he needs is a red nose and revolving bow tie to make the hideous tableau complete.
Wales could teach the world all about begging bowl politics.
Lend us a tenner.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Brexit fear mongering on 10:43 - Apr 14 with 2017 viewsCiderwithRsie

Brexit fear mongering on 10:37 - Apr 14 by TheBlob

Thw Welsh pushing for independence?They know which side their bread's buttered - preferably both sides - and are not as militant as the Scots.We've got one of the biggest contingent on "ins" here in Ceredigion since massive amounts of farming subsidies come from the EU.The UK gov say they'll take up the slack if we pull out but who knows.
We've got an absolute joke of a leader,Carwyn Jones,who was cruelly exposed for his mind boggling ignorance on Question Time a little while back.All he needs is a red nose and revolving bow tie to make the hideous tableau complete.
Wales could teach the world all about begging bowl politics.
Lend us a tenner.

"They know which side their bread's buttered - preferably both sides - and are not as militant as the Scots.We've got one of the biggest contingent on "ins" here in Ceredigion since massive amounts of farming subsidies come from the EU.The UK gov say they'll take up the slack if we pull out but who knows."

Exactly my point.

Not that I see an independent Wales as a runner, mind. Scotland is different though and NI republicans obviously don't want independence as such but unity with the Republic. Not going to happen soon but I detect tin openers being reached for while absent-mindedly rummaging for metal containers full of wriggly tubular limbless fellas.
Brexit fear mongering on 11:37 - Apr 14 with 1991 views1BobbyHazell

Some good points all round this morning.

To pick up on the theme of Post Brexit scenarios, I agree with Bazza and Aged that the exit in itself still leaves us very vulnerable to the continuing dismantling of a lot of our social structures and/or our ownership of them. As we've seen, they've already prepared themselves for the possibility of an Out win by putting Gove and Boris at the forefront of the campaign so that in terms of Their Plan there won't be any initial change.

But as Essex rightly points out at least there is a chance of change. There's always the possibility (however small) that enough people will wake up to the Society Dismantling that has been created through so called Austerity, which is actually just a Wealth Grab (by the already wealthy ) precipitated by a supposed financial crash (it takes about 5 minutes of googling to see where all that wealth has gone; Clue - it's to a very small minority of people/organisations who already had most of it). So, in the unlikely event that enough people do start to see it at least we'll still have enough power/control over our own sovereignty to make our own decisions about how our society is organised.

So, I'm hoping for some miracle where we can ease up on the left/right bickering so encouraged to keep us divided, and come up with ways that genuinely serve us all as a society/community. For instance as someone who would traditionally be considered left wing, I'm more than willing to cede to the right/Ukippers in terms of looking at immigration. If our own countrymen are telling us that their communities are under strain then we should be listening and acting accordingly. Equally, I'd hope that when I try to explain to them that that Community Strain is not only caused by who has been allowed into the country but also by the Wealth Grab that is being acted out that is tricking us into thinking that we have to accept such drastic reductions in our infrastructure, in our assistance to our most vulnerable members etc etc that they will accept we need to look at that side of things too. We have absolutely no need to reduce what we do for ourselves as a society whilst watching the wealth flow ever upwards at an increasing rate. That is part of the illusion that I always refer to. It's a trick, the world's greatest con.

If we vote to stay in, then TTIP will definitely be hoisted upon us and I can guarantee that that will be the end of us even being able to pretend that we have a say in our own sovereignty. Our ownership by financial and corporate institutions and unelected Brussels Dwelling Bureaucrats will no longer be covert, it will be the actual law.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024