Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Poppy 12:58 - Nov 2 with 10145 viewsunion_jack

FIFA are banning the home nations from displaying the poppy on international shirts.

Outrageous?

Or preventing a floodgate opening for other countries to have their political say on their shirts?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Poppy on 13:24 - Nov 2 with 3759 viewssherpajacob

If England and Scotland both want to wear poppies they should be allowed.

For us, bearing in mind we are playing Serbia, we should be allowed if the Serbs agree.

Serbia suffered more than any other single country during the great war, only right we should ask their opinion.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Poppy on 13:30 - Nov 2 with 3749 viewsLohengrin

It's utter nonsense. The poppy is NOT, nor ever has been, a political symbol. When The Haig Fund was first launched in 1921 Edward, Prince of Wales, speaking after the second Cenotaph ceremony has this to say..

"all of us who were there will recall the words of McCrae, well remember the sight of this red bloom and ponder too the lads no longer with us. Though this fund is enabling vital care for wounded British ex-servicemen let the symbol itself be one of reconciliation. Let all of us, the survivors, in every nation of Europe be of one accord and lift our voices together and say never again."

Bollocks to FIFA!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Poppy on 13:30 - Nov 2 with 3747 viewsdickythorpe

6 pager........

Do the Germans wear poppies?
The Poppy on 13:34 - Nov 2 with 3738 viewsGravy

Good on our PM for delivering a broadside to the corrupt chunts as well.

Yes, it is outrageous.

Two FIFA World Cups never took place at all because of WWII. I suppose the irony of that is lost on these bureaucrats, a good half of whom would be speaking German were it not for those who laid down their lives...

Boils my p/ss...
The Poppy on 13:37 - Nov 2 with 3724 viewsNogginthenog

Wear them anyway no matter what that bunch of corrupt arseholes has to say.
The Poppy on 13:38 - Nov 2 with 3723 viewsdailew

Good.

About time someone stood up to poppy fascism.

Remember, it's all about the wearer.

Virtue signalling for right wingers.

Soon it will be all year firking round.

[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 13:46]

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

The Poppy on 13:39 - Nov 2 with 3723 viewsunion_jack

The Poppy on 13:30 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

It's utter nonsense. The poppy is NOT, nor ever has been, a political symbol. When The Haig Fund was first launched in 1921 Edward, Prince of Wales, speaking after the second Cenotaph ceremony has this to say..

"all of us who were there will recall the words of McCrae, well remember the sight of this red bloom and ponder too the lads no longer with us. Though this fund is enabling vital care for wounded British ex-servicemen let the symbol itself be one of reconciliation. Let all of us, the survivors, in every nation of Europe be of one accord and lift our voices together and say never again."

Bollocks to FIFA!

But is it not how it perceived nowadays? I.e. the fund supporting current serving servicemen and the regions in which we are active.

What about Iraq wearing something on their shirts which may be inflammatory to Iran for example?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Poppy on 14:02 - Nov 2 with 3690 viewspierre91

...it's that time of year again.........

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/shortcuts/2016/nov/01/fifas-poppy-ban-the-la
Login to get fewer ads

The Poppy on 14:15 - Nov 2 with 3672 viewssherpajacob

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/campaign/manifesto-2015/

Is the royal British legion political?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Poppy on 14:23 - Nov 2 with 3654 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 14:15 - Nov 2 by sherpajacob

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/campaign/manifesto-2015/

Is the royal British legion political?

Politically neutral, studiedly so.

The Poppy on 14:29 - Nov 2 with 3642 viewslondonlisa2001

The Poppy on 14:23 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

Politically neutral, studiedly so.

Surely only neutral within a defined political space though Loh? Wouldn't be seen as neutral to a global audience?

I guess that's the issue really. All of us (or the vast majority of us) would struggle to see how anyone could possibly be offended by the wearing of a poppy. But there would be parts of the world that clearly see it as a political expression. Some not too far away. I imagine it's the same the other way round - other countries may have symbols of their national pride that are as dear to them, and yet we might find it offensive from our standpoint.

It's all very difficult. I will wear a poppy with pride by the way, so am not talking about my personal views, but trying to see it as it may be viewed elsewhere.
The Poppy on 14:53 - Nov 2 with 3614 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 14:29 - Nov 2 by londonlisa2001

Surely only neutral within a defined political space though Loh? Wouldn't be seen as neutral to a global audience?

I guess that's the issue really. All of us (or the vast majority of us) would struggle to see how anyone could possibly be offended by the wearing of a poppy. But there would be parts of the world that clearly see it as a political expression. Some not too far away. I imagine it's the same the other way round - other countries may have symbols of their national pride that are as dear to them, and yet we might find it offensive from our standpoint.

It's all very difficult. I will wear a poppy with pride by the way, so am not talking about my personal views, but trying to see it as it may be viewed elsewhere.

The RBL is most certainly neutral in a party-political sense. Could it be viewed as political in as much as it lobbies on behalf of its members, Lisa? I don't think so, most certainly not in the way critics would have us believe. That's just my opinion though I think it the correct one and I'm giving it as an RBL member of thirty years standing.

There is a great deal of pride involved in wearing a poppy and most certainly a sense of identification with previous generations. Dai seems to think that's 'virtue signalling,' most everybody else I'd suggest regards it as an act of gratitude.

No doubt there are some people somewhere who don't share my outlook. There's not much I can do about that save to tell them I have seen first-hand the enormous amount of good The RBL, and likewise the CWGC, have done and continue to do.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 15:19]

The Poppy on 14:56 - Nov 2 with 3610 viewsDafyddHuw

The Poppy on 14:29 - Nov 2 by londonlisa2001

The poppy is a symbol of our national pride?

I thought it was something you bought so that money goes to the British Legion to help injured servicemen.
The Poppy on 14:57 - Nov 2 with 3604 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 14:56 - Nov 2 by DafyddHuw

I thought it was something you bought so that money goes to the British Legion to help injured servicemen.

I'd suggest it's both.

The Poppy on 15:00 - Nov 2 with 3599 viewsDafyddHuw

The Poppy on 14:57 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

I'd suggest it's both.

Since when? And national pride in what?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 15:01]
The Poppy on 15:00 - Nov 2 with 3597 viewsDarran

The whole debate every year gets on my tits. The fact that you won't see anyone on Sky or the BBC until the middle of November is pathetic they're clearly not wearing them as a mark of rememberance they're wearing them so some sad c*nt doesn't get offended.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 15:10]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Poppy on 15:05 - Nov 2 with 3592 viewslondonlisa2001

The Poppy on 14:56 - Nov 2 by DafyddHuw

I would suggest that the wearing of a poppy on a football shirt is a demonstration that it is at least to some degree, a symbol of national pride rather than simply a fundraiser.

Perhaps 'respect' would be a better word than pride? Don't know. But I do believe that not wearing a poppy is now seen as somehow non-patriotic. I think that's what dailew was referring to. A politician / newsreader / public figure wouldn't be seen without one these days.
The Poppy on 15:06 - Nov 2 with 3588 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 15:00 - Nov 2 by DafyddHuw

Since when? And national pride in what?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 15:01]

Since inception and pride in the sons of these islands who gave their lives so you and I wouldn't have to.

The Poppy on 15:08 - Nov 2 with 3579 viewsDafyddHuw

The Poppy on 15:05 - Nov 2 by londonlisa2001

I would suggest that the wearing of a poppy on a football shirt is a demonstration that it is at least to some degree, a symbol of national pride rather than simply a fundraiser.

Perhaps 'respect' would be a better word than pride? Don't know. But I do believe that not wearing a poppy is now seen as somehow non-patriotic. I think that's what dailew was referring to. A politician / newsreader / public figure wouldn't be seen without one these days.

See Daz's previous post.

And I've never worn a poppy on my life? Does that make me non-patriotic?
The Poppy on 15:09 - Nov 2 with 3575 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 15:00 - Nov 2 by Darran

The whole debate every year gets on my tits. The fact that you won't see anyone on Sky or the BBC until the middle of November is pathetic they're clearly not wearing them as a mark of rememberance they're wearing them so some sad c*nt doesn't get offended.

After reading that I've never been more certain that the demise of the Grammar School heralded disaster.

The Poppy on 15:10 - Nov 2 with 3573 viewslondonlisa2001

The Poppy on 15:08 - Nov 2 by DafyddHuw

See Daz's previous post.

Yes, and I agree with it.

But that also demonstrates that it's far more than a fundraiser, for if it was simply a fundraising mechanism, people would wear it, not wear it, at their pleasure.
The Poppy on 15:11 - Nov 2 with 3565 viewsDarran

The Poppy on 15:09 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

After reading that I've never been more certain that the demise of the Grammar School heralded disaster.

I was on my phone piss off.

It's true though.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Poppy on 15:13 - Nov 2 with 3562 viewslondonlisa2001

The Poppy on 15:08 - Nov 2 by DafyddHuw

See Daz's previous post.

With regard to your edit, which was done after my answer - no, not in my eyes. I think it's completely up to you.

I think you are misunderstanding my point of view. I was simply trying to point out to Lohengrin why a symbol of an organisation that supports the British Armed Forces could easily be seen as political in the broadest sense when viewed by the rest of the world even if it is politically neutral in a British sense.
The Poppy on 15:14 - Nov 2 with 3559 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 15:11 - Nov 2 by Darran

I was on my phone piss off.

It's true though.

Of course you start seeing them crop up as November approaches, they don't sell them all year round, dopey!

The Poppy on 15:25 - Nov 2 with 3528 viewsDafyddHuw

The Poppy on 15:13 - Nov 2 by londonlisa2001

With regard to your edit, which was done after my answer - no, not in my eyes. I think it's completely up to you.

I think you are misunderstanding my point of view. I was simply trying to point out to Lohengrin why a symbol of an organisation that supports the British Armed Forces could easily be seen as political in the broadest sense when viewed by the rest of the world even if it is politically neutral in a British sense.

No, I completely understood your point of view. What surprised me was -

"I imagine it's the same the other way round - other countries may have symbols of their national pride that are as dear to them, and yet we might find it offensive from our standpoint. "

where you're clearly implying that the poppy is a symbol of our national pride which is dear to us. I just wondered why you made that assumption.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024