Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Poppy 12:58 - Nov 2 with 10628 viewsunion_jack

FIFA are banning the home nations from displaying the poppy on international shirts.

Outrageous?

Or preventing a floodgate opening for other countries to have their political say on their shirts?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Poppy on 15:34 - Nov 2 with 1719 viewslondonlisa2001

The Poppy on 15:25 - Nov 2 by DafyddHuw

No, I completely understood your point of view. What surprised me was -

"I imagine it's the same the other way round - other countries may have symbols of their national pride that are as dear to them, and yet we might find it offensive from our standpoint. "

where you're clearly implying that the poppy is a symbol of our national pride which is dear to us. I just wondered why you made that assumption.

I was saying that the poppy has become that, not that I agree that it should be so.

My post was badly worded as it didn't make that clear.

I think it is now seen as a symbol of national pride, which is why the prime minister is commenting on it. I did say that respect may be a better word.

I personally think it's completely up to an individual to wear one or not. The only thing that I find irritating actually, is the wearing of a white poppy to indicate that the wearer doesn't support war. In my mind, I can't imagine that any sane person supports war to be honest, so I find that a ridiculous standpoint to suggest that wearing a red poppy means you are a bloodthirsty hawk.
The Poppy on 15:52 - Nov 2 with 1705 viewscentrestandswan

The Poppy on 15:06 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

Since inception and pride in the sons of these islands who gave their lives so you and I wouldn't have to.

Here here along with the Soviets and Americans and the Commonwealth and the Chinese and many other countries , remember the Forces of all these places that died for us and themselves for a "free world" and treat them on equal terms .

It doesn't take the wearing of a poppy once a year to show you remember, just look around at the world today and all the carnage there is ,the wearing of poppies for a fortnight doesn't seem to have had much influence in that respect. Remember by all means and endeavor to see it never happen again. "WW1 , the war to end all wars." Some arms dealers are having a laugh somewhere.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

The Poppy on 16:01 - Nov 2 with 1698 viewsDarran

The Poppy on 15:52 - Nov 2 by centrestandswan

Here here along with the Soviets and Americans and the Commonwealth and the Chinese and many other countries , remember the Forces of all these places that died for us and themselves for a "free world" and treat them on equal terms .

It doesn't take the wearing of a poppy once a year to show you remember, just look around at the world today and all the carnage there is ,the wearing of poppies for a fortnight doesn't seem to have had much influence in that respect. Remember by all means and endeavor to see it never happen again. "WW1 , the war to end all wars." Some arms dealers are having a laugh somewhere.

Very well said you're not as thick as your sister makes out.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Poppy on 16:07 - Nov 2 with 1688 viewsHighjack

I can understand perfectly why Fifa don't allow it, but there should be some sort of compromise. Perhaps a minutes silence before lick off or laying of a poppy wreath or something.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Poppy on 16:12 - Nov 2 with 1686 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 15:52 - Nov 2 by centrestandswan

I'm sure you understand how hard I'm biting my lip here trying not to politicise the thread in response to your points...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Poppy on 16:20 - Nov 2 with 1672 viewsNogginthenog

The Poppy on 16:07 - Nov 2 by Highjack

I can understand perfectly why Fifa don't allow it, but there should be some sort of compromise. Perhaps a minutes silence before lick off or laying of a poppy wreath or something.

A lick off, what a novel idea!
The Poppy on 16:30 - Nov 2 with 1659 viewsHighjack

The Poppy on 16:20 - Nov 2 by Nogginthenog

A lick off, what a novel idea!

It was my fat fingers, not a Freudian slip honest.

But I'm sure many a world conflict could have been prevented with the offer of mutual fellatio.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Poppy on 16:34 - Nov 2 with 1652 viewscentrestandswan

The Poppy on 16:30 - Nov 2 by Highjack

It was my fat fingers, not a Freudian slip honest.

But I'm sure many a world conflict could have been prevented with the offer of mutual fellatio.

Plays for Man U does he not?

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Login to get fewer ads

The Poppy on 17:54 - Nov 2 with 1603 viewsexiledclaseboy

I buy a poppy annually but I don't/won't wear it. This is mainly because of the fact that it's become almost compulsory in recent years and not wearing one is seen as almost some kind of traitorous act. It's ridiculous, someone is castigated publicly every year for exercising their right not to wear a poppy. And it has without doubt been appropriated as a nakedly political symbol by some groups in more recent years. It never used to be like this. It used to be an understated symbol of quiet remembrance and it's become an ostentatious display of nationalism and a stick to beat people with.

The UK FAs know the rules. If they feel that strongly about it they should have their players wear poppies and take whatever punishment comes with it.

Poll: Tory leader

The Poppy on 18:01 - Nov 2 with 1592 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 17:54 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

I buy a poppy annually but I don't/won't wear it. This is mainly because of the fact that it's become almost compulsory in recent years and not wearing one is seen as almost some kind of traitorous act. It's ridiculous, someone is castigated publicly every year for exercising their right not to wear a poppy. And it has without doubt been appropriated as a nakedly political symbol by some groups in more recent years. It never used to be like this. It used to be an understated symbol of quiet remembrance and it's become an ostentatious display of nationalism and a stick to beat people with.

The UK FAs know the rules. If they feel that strongly about it they should have their players wear poppies and take whatever punishment comes with it.

"it's become an ostentatious display of nationalism and a stick to beat people with."

It's nothing of the bloody sort!

The Poppy on 18:02 - Nov 2 with 1589 viewsDarran

The Poppy on 17:54 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

Yes and talking of ostentatious it's hideous to see the bimbos like Kay Burley trying to wear the most garish poppy possible too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Poppy on 18:14 - Nov 2 with 1571 viewstrampie

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Poppy on 19:03 - Nov 2 with 1526 viewsunion_jack

The Poppy on 18:01 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

"it's become an ostentatious display of nationalism and a stick to beat people with."

I don't understand that at all. To me, it's always been a symbol to remember the fallen in the conflicts since WW1.

Things change however. My avatar was once a proud flag to fly (and still is to me) but associated more with fascism nowadays. Latterly, the cross of St. George is taking on the same association.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Poppy on 19:17 - Nov 2 with 1513 viewstrampie

[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 19:22]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Poppy on 19:27 - Nov 2 with 1489 viewsepaul

The Poppy on 18:14 - Nov 2 by trampie

A machine of mass death with a poppy on it very uneasy with that

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The Poppy on 19:39 - Nov 2 with 1261 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 19:27 - Nov 2 by epaul

A machine of mass death with a poppy on it very uneasy with that

That would be one way of looking at it, I suppose. The other way would be as an exhibit at the RAF Museum, Cosford for the launch of last year's appeal.

The Poppy on 19:45 - Nov 2 with 1242 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Poppy on 19:39 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

That would be one way of looking at it, I suppose. The other way would be as an exhibit at the RAF Museum, Cosford for the launch of last year's appeal.

It's a crass juxtaposition, regardless of context.

The Poppy on 19:47 - Nov 2 with 1239 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 19:45 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

It's a crass juxtaposition, regardless of context.

Not to servicemen.

The Poppy on 19:49 - Nov 2 with 1237 viewssherpajacob

The Poppy on 18:01 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

If anybody appears on a bbc programme not wearing one, then the outraged letter writers of Tunbridge wells get their biggest possible sticks out and march en masse on broadcasting house intent on delivering a good beating.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Poppy on 19:53 - Nov 2 with 1227 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Poppy on 19:47 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

Not to servicemen.

Maybe not, but that's not necessarily a recommendation.

The Poppy on 19:54 - Nov 2 with 1226 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 19:49 - Nov 2 by sherpajacob

If anybody appears on a bbc programme not wearing one, then the outraged letter writers of Tunbridge wells get their biggest possible sticks out and march en masse on broadcasting house intent on delivering a good beating.

So the Guardian would have us believe.

The Poppy on 19:56 - Nov 2 with 1218 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 19:53 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

Maybe not, but that's not necessarily a recommendation.

Tell me, Clase, when you put money into a poppy collection tin what motivates you?

The Poppy on 19:57 - Nov 2 with 1217 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Poppy on 19:54 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

So the Guardian would have us believe.

Ha yeah. It's all the fault if the least read newspaper in the country that appearing on TV for three weeks at the end of October/beginning of November every year without wearing a poppy is now almost a capital offence which means that the offender is obviously disrespecting war dead deliberately.

The Poppy on 19:58 - Nov 2 with 1214 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Poppy on 19:56 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

Tell me, Clase, when you put money into a poppy collection tin what motivates you?

To contribute to a fund that helps ex-servicemen and women who need it. I'd have thought that was fairly self evident.

The Poppy on 20:03 - Nov 2 with 1198 viewsLohengrin

The Poppy on 19:57 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

Ha yeah. It's all the fault if the least read newspaper in the country that appearing on TV for three weeks at the end of October/beginning of November every year without wearing a poppy is now almost a capital offence which means that the offender is obviously disrespecting war dead deliberately.

'Ooooh! Those nasty proles are threatening us.'

There are three things every year that mark the run-up to Armistice Day. The clocks go back, the old boys set up the RBL stall in the market and the 'luvvies' start their piglet squealing!
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 20:04]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024