Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... 16:15 - Jan 11 with 14177 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Then it's even more certain that we're going to go down. If not this season, then the next.

Olsson is a player who has been linked with us in every window since 2014. And every time there was news about our interest in him, I dreaded it. In the 7 seasons he has played in the Premier League he has never proven that he is good enough. It's very telling that no less than 3 TIMES has a club been relegated with him as their starting left back: in the 11/12 season with Blackburn, in the 12/13 season with Norwich, and again with Norwich last season. Currently, he's hardly cutting it in the Championship.

I've been very vocal about my displeasure of seeing Neil Taylor week in and week out in the teamsheet and the need for this to be changed, but Martin Olsson should not be the one to take his place. This is an upgrade in the sense that a piece of shít has had a little sugar sprinkled on it. It's a completely negligible upgrade. Even as unbelievably atrocious as Taylor is, Olsson is hardly better.

The fact that we bought him, and paid £5m no less, is utterly fvcking ridiculous. If this is the kind of player we're going to sign, then it's crystal clear that Huw Jenkins has learned absolutely nothing from his mistakes. Still, we're throwing money at lower league players who aren't good enough at this level, and still, our recruitment is as pathetic as ever.

[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 16:06]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 21:02 - Jan 11 with 1960 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:28 - Jan 11 by TheResurrection

Have I missed something then? Like in the last half hour? Has he joined a club in that time??

That's not what you said. You said there was only one club in for him. That is completely untrue.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 21:14 - Jan 11 with 1923 viewsJackBaston

These signings stink of getting ready for the championship, no ambition at all
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 21:51 - Jan 11 with 1854 viewsjesushchrist

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 21:14 - Jan 11 by JackBaston

Am I the only one who is happy if we sign Olsson.......anyone who puts Neil the kunt Taylor on the bench is a future swans legend in my eyes.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 21:57 - Jan 11 with 1830 viewsGriffting

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 21:14 - Jan 11 by JackBaston

Who would you like to see come in this window?
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:11 - Jan 11 with 1802 viewsAngelRangelQS

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 21:57 - Jan 11 by Griffting

Who would you like to see come in this window?

He'd like to see people on the fringes of the big clubs on loan (rarely happens - Everton are refusing to loan out McCarthy despite the fact he's way down the pecking order) or extremely talented youngsters from top clubs in less fashionable leagues who will crawl over hot coals to sign for a club in the middle of nowhere, who are 19th in the league having had 5 "permanent" managers in the last 14 months, for a relegation wage reduction.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:12 - Jan 11 with 1797 viewsjesushchrist

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:11 - Jan 11 by AngelRangelQS

He'd like to see people on the fringes of the big clubs on loan (rarely happens - Everton are refusing to loan out McCarthy despite the fact he's way down the pecking order) or extremely talented youngsters from top clubs in less fashionable leagues who will crawl over hot coals to sign for a club in the middle of nowhere, who are 19th in the league having had 5 "permanent" managers in the last 14 months, for a relegation wage reduction.

Amen
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:18 - Jan 11 with 1775 viewsjesushchrist

It's not about getting in the big names warming the bench from other clubs, I would rather players who will put a shift in to make a name for themselves and hopefully turn our fortunes around, with the right attitude and a bit of fighting spirit who knows what will happen.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:29 - Jan 11 with 1722 viewsAngelRangelQS

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:18 - Jan 11 by jesushchrist

It's not about getting in the big names warming the bench from other clubs, I would rather players who will put a shift in to make a name for themselves and hopefully turn our fortunes around, with the right attitude and a bit of fighting spirit who knows what will happen.

There's very little incentive for those clubs to loan their players out anyway. Some of them are still competing in 3 or 4 competitions and won't risk leaving themselves short.

It's no different to fans from a championship club debating about getting McBurnie or Kingsley on loan from us.
Login to get fewer ads

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:30 - Jan 11 with 1721 viewsNeiltheTaylor

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:59 - Jan 11 by londonlisa2001

Well he may be now.

Until yesterday it was unlikely.

It seemed unlikely that we were going to complete the Olsson deal until someone stuck the nut on Taylor in training...prime suspect is Kingsley

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:39 - Jan 11 with 1694 viewsLeonWasGod

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:29 - Jan 11 by nantywatcher

Apart from me is anyone on this thread over 12 years old?

I'm just about, although I don't think my IQ is that high.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:43 - Jan 11 with 1682 viewsraynor94

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:38 - Jan 11 by MyFinalHeaven

Not sure what statistics you're looking at. Since the 07/08 season he's made 224 total club appearances. It's a pretty good number considering he had some injuries and was playing for Barcelona, Sevilla, and Juventus where he was competing with arguably the best defenders in the world.

Sorry plus 29 cup appearances, don't include his International appearances, not great for ten years

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:29 - Jan 11 with 1636 viewsJJJack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:43 - Jan 11 by raynor94

Sorry plus 29 cup appearances, don't include his International appearances, not great for ten years

Raynor you're having a mare here. Caceres has played 315 games including internationals in 10 seasons prior to this one. He's hardly rent-a-crock or Darren Anderton is he?
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:32 - Jan 11 with 1631 viewsJackBaston

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 22:11 - Jan 11 by AngelRangelQS

You dont have to put relegation clauses on loans
Not sure you understand how the loan market works son
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:35 - Jan 11 with 1621 viewsJackBaston

The main reason Im against these signings is because theyre 1 million percent not touted by Clement or our Moneyball expert
Theyre all Jenkins targets that werent good enough in the last year and a half, but now suddenly theyre going to turn our season around
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:36 - Jan 11 with 1618 viewsJacket

What a ridiculous thread. Who did you expect to rock up at the Liberty? Danny Rose? Monreal? Only consideration is if he's better than Taylor, or even Kingsley now seeing as Taylor is injured.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:48 - Jan 11 with 1593 viewsraynor94

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:29 - Jan 11 by JJJack

Raynor you're having a mare here. Caceres has played 315 games including internationals in 10 seasons prior to this one. He's hardly rent-a-crock or Darren Anderton is he?

Well I'm reading wiki, and soccerbase, my apologies if these two are wrong

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:51 - Jan 11 with 1587 viewsAngelRangelQS

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:32 - Jan 11 by JackBaston

You dont have to put relegation clauses on loans
Not sure you understand how the loan market works son

Come on then, who do you think we can get on loan?

We'll bookmark it and then on Feb 1st, we'll see how many of them actually move to comparable clubs, son.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 00:10 - Jan 12 with 1564 viewsJackBaston

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 23:51 - Jan 11 by AngelRangelQS

Come on then, who do you think we can get on loan?

We'll bookmark it and then on Feb 1st, we'll see how many of them actually move to comparable clubs, son.

A couple of years ago, a small club that just got promoted to the prem got in a loanee from a top German club

Ive stated on other threads who I think could come, whether or not they would or not I cant do anything about
But backing the club to not even enquire and to settle for mediocrity is not something Im happy with
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 01:50 - Jan 12 with 1497 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 00:10 - Jan 12 by JackBaston

A couple of years ago, a small club that just got promoted to the prem got in a loanee from a top German club

Ive stated on other threads who I think could come, whether or not they would or not I cant do anything about
But backing the club to not even enquire and to settle for mediocrity is not something Im happy with

Who is the loanee in question?

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 02:02 - Jan 12 with 1492 viewsGriffting

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 01:50 - Jan 12 by MyFinalHeaven

I'm assuming he means Gylfi?

I take umbrage with Hoffenheim being a top German club mind.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 02:11 - Jan 12 with 1488 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:24 - Jan 11 by Starsky

I for one am going to reserve judgement on Olsson until hes played a few games for us.

I don't think we can expect top notch signings when we're entrenched in the relegation zone.

I'm not expecting "top notch signings." I'm expecting decent players who are worthy upgrades over who we currently have and who can and will help us beat the odds and stay up. Is that really too much to ask for?

Instead we got a guy who has never proven himself to be good enough at this level and who has been relegated 3 times in the 4 seasons he's been a starting left back in the Prem. Olsson is 28 years old, and will be 29 by the end of the season. Players who are inadequate and bang average like Olsson do not suddenly turn good at the latter half of their careers. I want to be optimistic, but it just doesn't happen.

It's funny. In his first press conference as owner Levien said that his most important priority was for the team to "have the resources to succeed" and that he "want[ed] to make a splash" when asked about transfer spending. As it happened, we instead got approximately £0 in investment and to date there still has been fvck all. Incredible how even with our Premier League status in jeopardy this greedy, deceiving cvnt still hasn't put in a pound, and is happy to see Jenkins continue his policy of spending bit part money on bit part players.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 02:32 - Jan 12 with 1476 viewsJackBaston

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 01:50 - Jan 12 by MyFinalHeaven

I do mean Gylfi yeah
But you look at players like Cambiasso who went to Leicester and kept them up
Kirchoff joined Sunderland from Bayern when they were rock bottom last year

Think people are underestimating our club a bit too much, we can definitely do better than Olssen, Carroll and Narsingh
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:50 - Jan 12 with 1449 viewsFerrieBodde

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 02:32 - Jan 12 by JackBaston

I do mean Gylfi yeah

Think people are underestimating our club a bit too much, we can definitely do better than Olssen, Carroll and Narsingh

Agreed.

It's utterly amazing how people here think that just because we're in the relegation zone it means that we will be unable to get any decent players. Are these idiots completely unaware that it's happened many times in the past where a great player went to a side fighting relegation?

But forget great or decent players. Even bonafide stars have come to bottom 3 sides before. In 2003 a Birmingham City side fighting relegation managed to secure a former Barca and Milan forward and World Cup and Euro winner who had made 55 caps for France, Christophe Dugarry. He ended up playing a gigantic part in keeping them up and even has a spot in their Hall of Fame despite only having played 2 seasons for B'ham.

Then there's West Ham in 06/07. These guys were rock bottom of the league, absolutely hopeless, and only an absolute miracle was going to keep them up. But even despite all that they managed to get freaking Javier Mascherano (yes, that one), a guy who had then already become the Argentine NT's starting DM and was widely regarded as one of the best players in Latin America. As we all know, he would go on to play a major role in what is now regarded as "The Great Escape" and was sold thereafter to Liverpool for big bucks.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 3:51]
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 05:33 - Jan 12 with 1428 viewsCooperman

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 02:32 - Jan 12 by JackBaston

I do mean Gylfi yeah

Bayern got rid of Kirchoff because he's never more than 60% fit and the Sunderland fans knew that when the saw the photo of him holding up a red and white striped shirt. Not much has changed since. All in all a good bit of business by those in Munchen.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 07:21 - Jan 12 with 1373 viewsCambJack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:50 - Jan 12 by FerrieBodde

Agreed.

It's utterly amazing how people here think that just because we're in the relegation zone it means that we will be unable to get any decent players. Are these idiots completely unaware that it's happened many times in the past where a great player went to a side fighting relegation?

But forget great or decent players. Even bonafide stars have come to bottom 3 sides before. In 2003 a Birmingham City side fighting relegation managed to secure a former Barca and Milan forward and World Cup and Euro winner who had made 55 caps for France, Christophe Dugarry. He ended up playing a gigantic part in keeping them up and even has a spot in their Hall of Fame despite only having played 2 seasons for B'ham.

Then there's West Ham in 06/07. These guys were rock bottom of the league, absolutely hopeless, and only an absolute miracle was going to keep them up. But even despite all that they managed to get freaking Javier Mascherano (yes, that one), a guy who had then already become the Argentine NT's starting DM and was widely regarded as one of the best players in Latin America. As we all know, he would go on to play a major role in what is now regarded as "The Great Escape" and was sold thereafter to Liverpool for big bucks.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 3:51]

And as we all know, the tevez/mascherano deals were so dodgy rules were put in place across world football to make sure they didn't happen again, nearly costing West Ham a fortune and points deduction as a result. They weren't exactly known world beaters anyway the day they signed.

And comparing deals today to deals in 2003 is lunacy, the world of football has changed massively since then. If a comparable Dugarry was available today you can bet he'd be asking for a lot more money
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 7:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024