Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... 16:15 - Jan 11 with 14183 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Then it's even more certain that we're going to go down. If not this season, then the next.

Olsson is a player who has been linked with us in every window since 2014. And every time there was news about our interest in him, I dreaded it. In the 7 seasons he has played in the Premier League he has never proven that he is good enough. It's very telling that no less than 3 TIMES has a club been relegated with him as their starting left back: in the 11/12 season with Blackburn, in the 12/13 season with Norwich, and again with Norwich last season. Currently, he's hardly cutting it in the Championship.

I've been very vocal about my displeasure of seeing Neil Taylor week in and week out in the teamsheet and the need for this to be changed, but Martin Olsson should not be the one to take his place. This is an upgrade in the sense that a piece of shít has had a little sugar sprinkled on it. It's a completely negligible upgrade. Even as unbelievably atrocious as Taylor is, Olsson is hardly better.

The fact that we bought him, and paid £5m no less, is utterly fvcking ridiculous. If this is the kind of player we're going to sign, then it's crystal clear that Huw Jenkins has learned absolutely nothing from his mistakes. Still, we're throwing money at lower league players who aren't good enough at this level, and still, our recruitment is as pathetic as ever.

[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 16:06]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 07:34 - Jan 12 with 2562 viewsAngelRangelQS

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 07:21 - Jan 12 by CambJack

And as we all know, the tevez/mascherano deals were so dodgy rules were put in place across world football to make sure they didn't happen again, nearly costing West Ham a fortune and points deduction as a result. They weren't exactly known world beaters anyway the day they signed.

And comparing deals today to deals in 2003 is lunacy, the world of football has changed massively since then. If a comparable Dugarry was available today you can bet he'd be asking for a lot more money
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 7:26]

And I'm pretty sure Mascharano went there in the summer
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 07:42 - Jan 12 with 2547 viewsSwaneeRiver

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 05:33 - Jan 12 by Cooperman

Bayern got rid of Kirchoff because he's never more than 60% fit and the Sunderland fans knew that when the saw the photo of him holding up a red and white striped shirt. Not much has changed since. All in all a good bit of business by those in Munchen.

Pretty sure most top teams don't look at their squad and think "Who's our best players?" then go and sell or loan them to other clubs.
As you say, clubs only get rid of players because they are injured, or not going to aid their drive towards titles and cups
Often the big names that do join relegation-threatened teams are there for a big paycheck and little else.
So many teams have made the mistake of trying to buy their way out of trouble by spending big, only for it to backfire when they get relegated
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:00 - Jan 12 with 2529 viewsNeiltheTaylor

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 07:34 - Jan 12 by AngelRangelQS

And I'm pretty sure Mascharano went there in the summer

And kept out of the team by Hayden Mullins!

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:07 - Jan 12 with 2517 viewsshandyjack

Last Jan, Newcastle spent £27m brining in JJS,Townsend and Doumbia(loan). They still went down. Spending big and bringing in players of proven PL quality doesn't necessarily guarantee safety. Neither came in with a relegation clasue on their wages, if we spent that sort of money we would struggle in the championship if we could not offload them

Poll: Expectation for the season

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:09 - Jan 12 with 2514 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The people who now own our club don't spend money on it. Therefore the chances of us making a big name signing or even loaning one are between extremely slim to nil. Spending a few million on the likes of Carroll and Olson isn't even catching up with the lack of spending in the summer compared to similar sized clubs.

People can argue until they're blue in the face about whether we should sign player x or player y. The owners aren't listening.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:18 - Jan 12 with 2651 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 07:21 - Jan 12 by CambJack

And as we all know, the tevez/mascherano deals were so dodgy rules were put in place across world football to make sure they didn't happen again, nearly costing West Ham a fortune and points deduction as a result. They weren't exactly known world beaters anyway the day they signed.

And comparing deals today to deals in 2003 is lunacy, the world of football has changed massively since then. If a comparable Dugarry was available today you can bet he'd be asking for a lot more money
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 7:26]

"They weren't exactly known world beaters anyway the day they signed."

Are you fvcking serious?

Wow.

Before Tevez signed with West Ham he had already made over 20 caps for Argentina and won the Olympics, won the Argentine league, the Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, and the Club World Cup (then known as the Intercontinental Cup) with Boca, and the Brazilian league with Corinthians. Even more, he was deemed better than all the super stars Argentina had playing in the best clubs in Europe (guys like Crespo, Aimar, Riquelme, Zanetti, Veron, Heinze, Saviola, Cambiasso, etc.) and managed to win Argentine Footballer of the Year over them not once but twice, and had already amassed the following individual accolades:

South American Footballer of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2005
South American Team of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2005
Copa Libertadores MVP Award: 2003
Footballer of the Year of Argentina: 2003, 2004
Argentine Sportsperson of the Year: 2004
Summer Olympics Golden Boot: 2004
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Best Player: 2005
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Championship Squad: 2005
Bola de Ouro: 2005
Bola de Prata: 2005

Even if you forget ALL OF THAT for a second, it's still laughably and hysterically ironic how you would say he wasn't "exactly a known world beater" when he literally beat the world at football. Twice. He did it in 2003 when he played and beat the defending CL winners AC Milan in the Intercontinental Cup in 2003 and again in 2004 when he won the Olympics.

Back in 2006 no young player was more accomplished and decorated than Tevez was. He was just about the most highest profile signing from Latin America until Neymar came along, and no player garnered as many individual awards in such a short amount of time until Messi came along.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 8:32]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:24 - Jan 12 with 2633 viewsjesushchrist

Fat Ronaldo....Ronaldinho....!
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:28 - Jan 12 with 2615 viewsCambJack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:18 - Jan 12 by MyFinalHeaven

"They weren't exactly known world beaters anyway the day they signed."

Are you fvcking serious?

Wow.

Before Tevez signed with West Ham he had already made over 20 caps for Argentina and won the Olympics, won the Argentine league, the Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, and the Club World Cup (then known as the Intercontinental Cup) with Boca, and the Brazilian league with Corinthians. Even more, he was deemed better than all the super stars Argentina had playing in the best clubs in Europe (guys like Crespo, Aimar, Riquelme, Zanetti, Veron, Heinze, Saviola, Cambiasso, etc.) and managed to win Argentine Footballer of the Year over them not once but twice, and had already amassed the following individual accolades:

South American Footballer of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2005
South American Team of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2005
Copa Libertadores MVP Award: 2003
Footballer of the Year of Argentina: 2003, 2004
Argentine Sportsperson of the Year: 2004
Summer Olympics Golden Boot: 2004
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Best Player: 2005
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Championship Squad: 2005
Bola de Ouro: 2005
Bola de Prata: 2005

Even if you forget ALL OF THAT for a second, it's still laughably and hysterically ironic how you would say he wasn't "exactly a known world beater" when he literally beat the world at football. Twice. He did it in 2003 when he played and beat the defending CL winners AC Milan in the Intercontinental Cup in 2003 and again in 2004 when he won the Olympics.

Back in 2006 no young player was more accomplished and decorated than Tevez was. He was just about the most highest profile signing from Latin America until Neymar came along, and no player garnered as many individual awards in such a short amount of time until Messi came along.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 8:32]

Ok, Tevez was known. Jesus. Getting back to the point you were trying to make, those deals were dodgy, illegally so. We won't be signing an equivalent tevez or mascherano
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 8:38]
Login to get fewer ads

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 09:02 - Jan 12 with 2580 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 08:28 - Jan 12 by CambJack

Ok, Tevez was known. Jesus. Getting back to the point you were trying to make, those deals were dodgy, illegally so. We won't be signing an equivalent tevez or mascherano
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 8:38]

You're missing the point. I'm not saying we should be signing a bonafide star like Tevez or Mascherano. What I'm saying is that 1) we need to be signing much, MUCH better players than Olsson if we actually want to stay up and 2) it is completely untrue that a club on the verge of relegation in January is unable to attract good players--people here are literally saying that a club in a position such as ours can and will never be able to secure anyone better than a scrub or a reject. As already mentioned with the multitude of names mentioned, this is totally untrue. If Sunderland could get Defoe being 19th as we are now, if a rock bottom West Ham side coached by a total fraud (Avram Grant) could get Demba Ba, and a hopeless QPR side that eventually finished dead last get Loic Remy, then there is no reason why we cannot do the same.

And for the record, West Ham didn't really do anything "illegal." Everyone in the Premier League were signing third party owned players before 2006 and everyone is still signing them since. They were the only ones unfortunate to get punished for it, and the only ones who kicked up a fuss about it were Sheffield United, and it was only because they were relegated. Literally every South American player is owned by a third party. We already have a third party owned player here in the Swans w/ Federico Fernandez (Twentytwo SA, an Argentine football investment fund/management company owns a percentage of him), and we tried to sign another during the summer (Enner Valencia). I strongly suggest you read more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_ownership_in_association_football
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3809482/Third-party-ownershi
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/-sp-jorge-mendes-agent-third-pa
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 9:07]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 09:10 - Jan 12 with 2560 viewsjasper_T

Championship teams can vastly outspend bottom half La Liga and Serie A teams in wages, it's not like being a relegation candidate here is a complete roadblock to new signings.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 09:47 - Jan 12 with 2517 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 09:10 - Jan 12 by jasper_T

Championship teams can vastly outspend bottom half La Liga and Serie A teams in wages, it's not like being a relegation candidate here is a complete roadblock to new signings.

It is if the club owners are looking to make a profit on transfer dealings.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 09:59 - Jan 12 with 2490 viewsjasper_T

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 09:47 - Jan 12 by Joe_bradshaw

It is if the club owners are looking to make a profit on transfer dealings.

That's moving the goalposts (to Bristol and Ipswich)
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 11:07 - Jan 12 with 2439 viewsJackBaston

Im glad a few other people are agreeing with me
signing bang average players for cheap was the reason we're in this mess in the first place
especially ones that seemed to be picked by Huw
We're still a Premier League club, and its not like we're doomed like Villa last season
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 11:10 - Jan 12 with 2427 viewsraynor94

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 11:07 - Jan 12 by JackBaston

Im glad a few other people are agreeing with me
signing bang average players for cheap was the reason we're in this mess in the first place
especially ones that seemed to be picked by Huw
We're still a Premier League club, and its not like we're doomed like Villa last season

So who do you think we should realistically sign?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:05 - Nov 18 with 2218 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Naughton gets a bunch of stick from our fans (not that I don't disagree with it), but I have no idea why our other fullback never gets any criticism. It seems like just because Olsson scored a couple of goals last season people are completely willing to ignore the fact that he's an awful fvcking player.

The guy is seriously one of the worst defenders I have ever seen. He can't win a header to save his life, and every time a ball gets whipped into the box near his vicinity you just know the guy he's marking (or supposed to be marking assuming he hasn't switched off like he often does) is going to head it home.

Going forward he's pretty abject too. Aside from those 2 goals, he's offered nothing since. No assists and chances created whatsoever. A typical Olsson play is getting the ball barely into the final third, and instead of taking on his man or advancing play, he just whips a hopeful, hail mary cross in hoping it'll find someone in a white shirt. Woeful stuff.

Like I said in the OP: he's been relegated 3 TIMES as a starting left back in the EPL. No surprise that it's looking like it'll be 4 times now. Thanks Jenkins!

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:11 - Nov 18 with 2205 viewsthereisnospoon

yeah i don't really know why olsson gets a pass. he's been responsible for god knows how many goals since his first app. if you're in the box and olsson's the only one marking you all it takes is a half decent cross for a goal to come about. the boy can't win an aerial duel even if his life depended on it

i don't understand why he's so bad at clearing balls and defending in the air. it's not that he's particularly short. he's the exact same height as ben davies and 3 inches taller than leighton baines ffs
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:28 - Dec 19 with 2042 viewsMyFinalHeaven

So...are there still any imbeciles left who think Martin Olsson is a good player? I'm talking especially to all those who attacked me earlier in this thread for stating the truth.

It seems like the guy is directly responsible for at least one goal conceded every game. If not for giving away a stupid penalty, it'll be because he completely switched off and fails to mark his man. Today was the former. Stopping a cross or blocking a shot? Forget about it.

As I said in the OP, if we didn't get relegated in our first season with him, then we'll go down with him in the next. There's a reason the guy is about to get relegated for the FOURTH TIME IN SIX YEARS.

I tried to warn you lads.

Congrats on a Prem record Martin. Everyone knew you weren't a Premier League footballer except a certain Huw Jenkins. With your impending 4th relegation, hopefully he'll finally grasp what everyone else with a brain could see.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2017 3:29]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:36 - Dec 19 with 2027 viewsE20Jack

Olsson is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 06:19 - Dec 19 with 1963 viewsOnelessstar

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:28 - Dec 19 by MyFinalHeaven

So...are there still any imbeciles left who think Martin Olsson is a good player? I'm talking especially to all those who attacked me earlier in this thread for stating the truth.

It seems like the guy is directly responsible for at least one goal conceded every game. If not for giving away a stupid penalty, it'll be because he completely switched off and fails to mark his man. Today was the former. Stopping a cross or blocking a shot? Forget about it.

As I said in the OP, if we didn't get relegated in our first season with him, then we'll go down with him in the next. There's a reason the guy is about to get relegated for the FOURTH TIME IN SIX YEARS.

Congrats on a Prem record Martin. Everyone knew you weren't a Premier League footballer except a certain Huw Jenkins. With your impending 4th relegation, hopefully he'll finally grasp what everyone else with a brain could see.

I think you're a bit off base here... 1) Despite the poor marking, it was not a penalty 2) He played a important part of keeping the team up last season 3) There are many players who've had lesser seasons than MO so far so have a go at them.

That said, MO has not shown what he did last year. Most concerning though, to restate the obvious, is that HJ is past it but majority ownership isn't doing anything about it. HJ just can't run a Premiership club anymore.... Poor decisions/timing on sales; poor signings and resignings etc. The momentum (and thrill) is gone... so who would choose to come here unless the money was ridiculous -- which it won't, can't and shouldn't be.

Poll: How long before a Swansea City fan can consider themselves a "Jack"?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 06:33 - Dec 19 with 1947 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 06:19 - Dec 19 by Onelessstar

I think you're a bit off base here... 1) Despite the poor marking, it was not a penalty 2) He played a important part of keeping the team up last season 3) There are many players who've had lesser seasons than MO so far so have a go at them.

That said, MO has not shown what he did last year. Most concerning though, to restate the obvious, is that HJ is past it but majority ownership isn't doing anything about it. HJ just can't run a Premiership club anymore.... Poor decisions/timing on sales; poor signings and resignings etc. The momentum (and thrill) is gone... so who would choose to come here unless the money was ridiculous -- which it won't, can't and shouldn't be.

"He played a important part of keeping the team up last season."

So he had a good run of a few games. Great. So did Carroll. You can live in the past. But I like to live in the present. And currently both of them are playing us straight to the Championship.

What counts is how they're playing now. And they're playing like their usual selves: shit. With the state we're in, I can give two fvcks what such and such did for us x months or years ago.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 12:27 - Dec 19 with 1839 viewsTheResurrection

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:28 - Dec 19 by MyFinalHeaven

You embarrassed yourself in the OP and you're embarrassing yourself now.

Do us a favour and fack off.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 12:29 - Dec 19 with 1833 viewsE20Jack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 12:27 - Dec 19 by TheResurrection

You embarrassed yourself in the OP and you're embarrassing yourself now.

Do us a favour and fack off.

At least we know Nivvy is ok. I was concerned.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 12:53 - Dec 19 with 1798 viewspencoedjack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:36 - Dec 19 by E20Jack

Mine as well
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 12:59 - Dec 19 with 1784 viewsE20Jack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 06:33 - Dec 19 by MyFinalHeaven

"He played a important part of keeping the team up last season."

So he had a good run of a few games. Great. So did Carroll. You can live in the past. But I like to live in the present. And currently both of them are playing us straight to the Championship.

What counts is how they're playing now. And they're playing like their usual selves: shit. With the state we're in, I can give two fvcks what such and such did for us x months or years ago.

You do realise Jonathan Viera has also led his team into a similar position?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 13:26 - Dec 19 with 1751 viewsvetchonian

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 03:36 - Dec 19 by E20Jack

Only because he is our only left back!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024