Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... 16:15 - Jan 11 with 14182 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Then it's even more certain that we're going to go down. If not this season, then the next.

Olsson is a player who has been linked with us in every window since 2014. And every time there was news about our interest in him, I dreaded it. In the 7 seasons he has played in the Premier League he has never proven that he is good enough. It's very telling that no less than 3 TIMES has a club been relegated with him as their starting left back: in the 11/12 season with Blackburn, in the 12/13 season with Norwich, and again with Norwich last season. Currently, he's hardly cutting it in the Championship.

I've been very vocal about my displeasure of seeing Neil Taylor week in and week out in the teamsheet and the need for this to be changed, but Martin Olsson should not be the one to take his place. This is an upgrade in the sense that a piece of shít has had a little sugar sprinkled on it. It's a completely negligible upgrade. Even as unbelievably atrocious as Taylor is, Olsson is hardly better.

The fact that we bought him, and paid £5m no less, is utterly fvcking ridiculous. If this is the kind of player we're going to sign, then it's crystal clear that Huw Jenkins has learned absolutely nothing from his mistakes. Still, we're throwing money at lower league players who aren't good enough at this level, and still, our recruitment is as pathetic as ever.

[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 16:06]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:37 - Jan 11 with 3324 viewsjasper_T

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:32 - Jan 11 by AussieSwan

I was wondering where Buttner had gone. He would've been a great signing on a free

If we're in for Narsingh I still would have asked PSV what they were after for Jetro Willems. He would have been a fantastic signing

But Olsson is better than Taylor so I'll take it. If we can get 5m for Taylor at WBA or Palace then it looks like a good deal

No fckin chance we get £5m for Taylor.

He's going to be here till his contract runs out.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:39 - Jan 11 with 3296 viewsConcerned_Parent

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:21 - Jan 11 by Neath_Jack

So why hasn't another premier league team snapped him up then, if he's so good like?

just because he's been without a club since July it means absolutely anything. Lassana Diarra was unattached for MONTHS after he left and served a year long suspension for beach of contract with Lokomotiv Moscow, and Marseille were the only ones willing to take a punt on him. since then he's been one of the best midfielders in France and it was reported this month that Mourinho is interested in bringing him to Man U
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 18:41]
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:42 - Jan 11 with 3272 viewsraynor94

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:16 - Jan 11 by MyFinalHeaven

He's been fit and healthy since though. He was linked to Chelsea and Inter a few months ago:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/07/who-is-chelsea-transfer-target-martin-caceres-all-
http://www.football-italia.net/95751/inter-rekindle-caceres-interest

85 appearances in ten years, a model of consistency

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:43 - Jan 11 with 3263 viewsdobjack2

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:22 - Jan 11 by MyFinalHeaven

Agreed. Did we really go through all the trouble and money of hiring a football analytics expert (Dan Altman) to help us on transfers and identify new targets, only to sign the same crappy players we were interested in for years?

Proper incredible stuff. It really beggars belief.

Surely if Altman is backing the signings then we have identified good acquisitions but not signed them previously.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:44 - Jan 11 with 3243 viewsmorningstar

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:24 - Jan 11 by Starsky

I for one am going to reserve judgement on Olsson until hes played a few games for us.

I don't think we can expect top notch signings when we're entrenched in the relegation zone.

well i'm going to reserve judgement on Olsson until we actually sign him. so far that's all we have are dodgy newspaper reports , twitter rumours and over 100 posts on here spread out over 2 threads.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:47 - Jan 11 with 3220 viewsKrisP

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:34 - Jan 11 by Starsky

Yep
Can you imagine if we signed a Spanish league 2 full back and get 10 years service for 10k

There'd be uproar

If he was that good why hasn't someone else signed him before us, huh?
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:48 - Jan 11 with 3208 viewsTheResurrection

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:39 - Jan 11 by Concerned_Parent

just because he's been without a club since July it means absolutely anything. Lassana Diarra was unattached for MONTHS after he left and served a year long suspension for beach of contract with Lokomotiv Moscow, and Marseille were the only ones willing to take a punt on him. since then he's been one of the best midfielders in France and it was reported this month that Mourinho is interested in bringing him to Man U

You're missing the point.

Spectacularly.

And the fact no other team in world football has come in for him is not the only thing. How do you know he wants to come and play in England/Wales?

Maybe he's made that quite clear.

It's pathetic plucking out big names from a hat with no other knowledge than they were once great players.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:48 - Jan 11 with 3198 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:43 - Jan 11 by dobjack2

Surely if Altman is backing the signings then we have identified good acquisitions but not signed them previously.

Or Altman likes his cosy job where he gets to play moneyball and isn't going to speak against Jenkins.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Login to get fewer ads

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:03 - Jan 11 with 3141 viewsConcerned_Parent

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:48 - Jan 11 by TheResurrection

Spectacularly.

And the fact no other team in world football has come in for him is not the only thing. How do you know he wants to come and play in England/Wales?

It's pathetic plucking out big names from a hat with no other knowledge than they were once great players.

you've failed to do your research

spectacularly

it was reported a few months ago that there were 4 premier league clubs interested in him including us (the other 3 were sunderland, southampton, and west brom), as well as fiorentina and roma

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-southampton-amon
http://www.around-j.com/fiorentina-step-intterest-martin-caceres/
http://romapress.us/2016/07/01/19788/

it's pathetic that you would talk about such players like this and how we should count him out when you know absolutely nothing about him and have never even seen him play. i would suggest next time that you keep your mouth shut
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:07 - Jan 11 with 3101 viewsjack247

Underwhelming. Probably an upgrade on Taylor, but not the sort of signing that's going to make a lot of difference.

This is the sort of signing we should be making on deadline day when we have sorted the important business out.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:13 - Jan 11 with 3045 viewsCambJack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:03 - Jan 11 by Concerned_Parent

spectacularly

it was reported a few months ago that there were 4 premier league clubs interested in him including us (the other 3 were sunderland, southampton, and west brom), as well as fiorentina and roma

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-southampton-amon

it's pathetic that you would talk about such players like this and how we should count him out when you know absolutely nothing about him and have never even seen him play. i would suggest next time that you keep your mouth shut

One thing free agents are notorious for these days is HUGE signing on fees and wage demands (see Gomis, Ayew) so Id imagine that is the reason we, and other clubs haven't considered him. He might be unattached, but that doesn't mean he's cheap.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:17 - Jan 11 with 3013 viewsFerrieBodde

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:48 - Jan 11 by TheResurrection

Spectacularly.

How do you know he doesn't want to come to play in England/Wales? So you're his agent now all of a sudden? Congrats to you for finding a job. I thought you'd spend the remainder of your days continuing to post utter rubbish here and going on ad infinitum about how Sigurdsson needs to be dropped and sold.

For the record, I think Caceres is a quality player, and our squad could REALLY use a utility guy who can play as a cb, lb, and rb, a la Lahm and Azpilicueta. He has been linked with many clubs since he left Juve and continues to be pursued by teams. As it stands, it seems like he's merely considering his options and taking his time to decide what's best for him.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:20 - Jan 11 with 2994 viewsdobjack2

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:48 - Jan 11 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Or Altman likes his cosy job where he gets to play moneyball and isn't going to speak against Jenkins.

My previous post was a bit tongue in cheek. All he would appear to have, like Clement is input, so far it seems nothing has really changed Jenkins has the final say
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:26 - Jan 11 with 2960 viewsDyfnant

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:07 - Jan 11 by jack247

Underwhelming. Probably an upgrade on Taylor, but not the sort of signing that's going to make a lot of difference.

This is the sort of signing we should be making on deadline day when we have sorted the important business out.

Have to disagree. If he can stop some crosses coming in and actually pass the ball forward to one of our players it will make a huge difference.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:28 - Jan 11 with 2947 viewsFerrieBodde

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:13 - Jan 11 by CambJack

One thing free agents are notorious for these days is HUGE signing on fees and wage demands (see Gomis, Ayew) so Id imagine that is the reason we, and other clubs haven't considered him. He might be unattached, but that doesn't mean he's cheap.

Just because we continually let agents bully us, decide to give signing on fees to free agents, and pay the most exorbitant transfer prices and wages for the crappiest of players, it doesn't mean that the rest of the football world is doing it. Most free agents actually sign without signing on fees. Even high profile ones often sign without getting a nice chunk of money--in recent seasons Fuchs went to Leicester, van der Wiel went to Fenerbahce, and Konoplyanka went to Sevilla all for free with no signing fee.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:29 - Jan 11 with 2548 viewsnantywatcher

Apart from me is anyone on this thread over 12 years old?
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:38 - Jan 11 with 2533 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:42 - Jan 11 by raynor94

85 appearances in ten years, a model of consistency

Not sure what statistics you're looking at. Since the 07/08 season he's made 224 total club appearances. It's a pretty good number considering he had some injuries and was playing for Barcelona, Sevilla, and Juventus where he was competing with arguably the best defenders in the world.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:50 - Jan 11 with 2495 viewsNeath_Jack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:39 - Jan 11 by Concerned_Parent

Ah right, my mistake then.

It's just one would assume that if a player is as good as you and the other oddball is making out, then he would not be without a club for very many days.

I was obviously wrong.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:00 - Jan 11 with 2477 viewsTheResurrection

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:03 - Jan 11 by Concerned_Parent

spectacularly

WTF does that prove?

Absolutely nothing.

The fact still remains he's still without a club. Who knows what the real reasons behind that are but if it was straightforward surely to God a player of his calibre would've gone somewhere by now??

Using him as a stick to beat anything with is a tad desperate old boy?

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:03 - Jan 11 with 2460 viewsjasper_T

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:26 - Jan 11 by Dyfnant

Have to disagree. If he can stop some crosses coming in and actually pass the ball forward to one of our players it will make a huge difference.

Some big assumptions here. Hope they pay off.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:10 - Jan 11 with 2447 viewsConcerned_Parent

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:00 - Jan 11 by TheResurrection

WTF does that prove?

Absolutely nothing.

The fact still remains he's still without a club. Who knows what the real reasons behind that are but if it was straightforward surely to God a player of his calibre would've gone somewhere by now??

Using him as a stick to beat anything with is a tad desperate old boy?

"WTF does that prove?

Absolutely nothing."

that you're wrong. do you not remember what you said?

"And the fact no other team in world football has come in for him is not the only thing."

dear oh dear. it's no sense arguing with a kid who can't even remember the last thing he said
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:16 - Jan 11 with 2416 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 19:50 - Jan 11 by Neath_Jack

Ah right, my mistake then.

It's just one would assume that if a player is as good as you and the other oddball is making out, then he would not be without a club for very many days.

I was obviously wrong.

Diarra isn't the only one. Anichebe had been without a club since last May and since coming to Sunderland recently he's been somewhat of a revelation. In 8 starts as a winger he's already scored more goals (3) than Barrow, Routledge, Dyer, and Montero combined, and against clubs who beat us convincingly (Bournemouth and Hull). We could have really used him.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:28 - Jan 11 with 2379 viewsTheResurrection

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:10 - Jan 11 by Concerned_Parent

"WTF does that prove?

Absolutely nothing."

that you're wrong. do you not remember what you said?

"And the fact no other team in world football has come in for him is not the only thing."

dear oh dear. it's no sense arguing with a kid who can't even remember the last thing he said

Have I missed something then? Like in the last half hour? Has he joined a club in that time??

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:55 - Jan 11 with 2307 viewslondonlisa2001

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:48 - Jan 11 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Rumour has it that's quite a long way from the truth Dwight.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 20:59 - Jan 11 with 2290 viewslondonlisa2001

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:37 - Jan 11 by jasper_T

No fckin chance we get £5m for Taylor.

He's going to be here till his contract runs out.

Well he may be now.

Until yesterday it was unlikely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024