Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are you a Yorkshire Daley? 00:16 - May 19 with 10708 viewsNorthYorksDale

I recently got a mention in my sons weekly school newsletter related to me being a Dale fan.
The school has recently been connecting with ex pupils and in last weeks edition one James Proctor suggested he’d be the only ex pupil of the school ever to play professional football for Rochdale. I’ll be honest I had to look him up and it seems he had 1 start and a couple of sub appearances in the 95/96 season before he moved on to play in the US.

The story went onto suggest that not only would James be the only pupil to play for Rochdale but that in all likelihood I would be the only Rochdale fan to live in Yorkshire!!

If you’re now located located on the dark side or have lived over these parts for any period please let me know the town and how many Dale fans in your household so I can set the record straight with a strongly worded response to the editor in chief !!
Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 17:03 - May 23 with 1398 viewsncfc_chalky

I've got to ask....

Are there any of you lot secretly living in Nottingham?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 17:09 - May 23 with 1381 viewsTVOS1907

Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 17:03 - May 23 by ncfc_chalky

I've got to ask....

No(tts).

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 18:11 - May 23 with 1335 viewsyorkshirefan

Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 17:03 - May 23 by ncfc_chalky

I've got to ask....

Lived in Forest Fields for 4 years (and survived)
Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 19:07 - May 23 with 1314 viewsncfc_chalky

Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 18:11 - May 23 by yorkshirefan

Lived in Forest Fields for 4 years (and survived)

I feel your pain

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 19:42 - May 23 with 1302 viewsNorthYorksDale

Still no apology .......

Dear Editor,

It was a great delight to discoverer through the 86th edition of the Read School newsletter that this fine school has links with a fine football club. Compared to the history of the school however, even though it’s over one hundred years old Rochdale Association Football club is a mere youngling. The club was the first ever to reach a major cup final whilst playing within the fourth tier of English football, until recently it was the ‘only’ club to achieve such a feat when some tin pot team from West Yorkshire managed the same. Sadly, that where the records end.

From the high of discovering my favourite association football club is associated in some small way to The Read school, imagine my disappointment to discover the article went on to make completely unfounded claims about the number of Rochdale supporters that have ventured away from God’s own country, from the red rose county! The article made a veiled attempt to cover the complete lack of research undertaken with the use of ‘perhaps even’ but I expect more from such a highly regarded publication.

I would strongly disagree with your numerical claim and can now back this up with data, real data, not that mythical data or as some would say fake news. Having undertaken a poll over a short period I can now confirm there at least thirty loyal supporters that are or have been suffering in this part or the world performing our missionary work. Given more time who knows how many there could be, there may even be fifty ! Most responses to my poll from those that went on to return to the better side of the Pennines ended their reply with a message along the lines of “then got released for good behaviour never to return.”, for me though, I fear that may not be possible and I do quite like it now that I’ve got used to the ways of the very odd folk in these parts.

Can I suggest in future the appropriate diligence is followed in gathering at least sample data before making such baseless accusations.

I await a full apology.

Regards,
Disappointed YorkshireDALEy

Thank you for this thoughtful and considered response, Ian.

I somehow knew that when I was penning those words this time last week, that they would come back to bite me. I thought myself safe though, when earlier this week, there was total Rochdale radio silence, but in my heart of hearts knew that it couldn't last. A man's passion and pride, once stirred, cannot be held fettered within.

I really want to publish your letter in this week's edition, but feel that perhaps, the subject matter and the nature of the satirical discourse might be too much for some, that they might not appreciate the subtle layers of wit and repartee going on, such that they may wade in unknowingly, and wholeheartedly on the right, or the wrong side of the argument here. And who can say who is right?

Suffice it to say, I will wholeheartedly and unreservedly apologise for my unfounded comments about Rochdale. All, I need to have at my disposal now, are the actual statistics and data in support of Rochdale's army of White Rose fans rooted in this locale that you intimated you would be able to supply. I am sure you will furnish me with those in due course, remembering that, in order to double the fanbase (i.e. to move from one, to two) you cannot include Harrison in your figures.

Your loyal servant,

The Editor.
Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 19:56 - May 23 with 1292 viewsonedalefan

In the opposite direction.
Lived in Crossgates, Leeds until 84, married and lived in Morley/Churwell for 3 years before moving to Rochdale due to the job (on missionary work according to my wife!). Introduced to Spotland by a new neighbour, and having previously been a season ticket holder at Elland Road for a number of years, was pleasantly surprised how you were made to feel part of the club. Soon became a season ticket holder and as soon as my son was old enough to enjoy, moved to the family stand and got him hooked and now 30 years late, we are still in the Pearl Street every game.
As an aside, due to visiting grandparents in Leeds one Sunday when Leeds were at home, stopped at Elland Road to see if any tickets available and was charged £40 for adult and 10 year old. Never been back since!
Are you a Yorkshire Daley? on 16:33 - May 26 with 1140 viewsinthenet

Lived over here in Brighouse for 22 years still have a season ticket .

Rastrickblue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024