Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! 08:00 - Jun 2 with 8272 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55149/steve-cooper-will-

TWITTER
https://twitter.com/_KeithHaynes

INSTA
https://www.instagram.com/swansea_independent?utm_source=qr
Swansea_Independent

FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/SwanseaIndependent

REDDIT
https://www.reddit.com/r/swanseacity/comments/no8est/wednesday_talks_for_cooper_

This post has been edited by an administrator
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 15:42 - Jun 2 with 1423 viewstylagarwjack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 09:20 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

If we offer him a new deal we just lose more money when the axe inevitably falls, if we don't then we go into the season with inherent instability at the helm and just provide more ammunition for him and the odd souls who still back him to use as confirmation that he hasn't been "backed".

We're basically in the same situation we were in during the summer of 2010. A manager who on paper has done reasonably well, but the club and a large proportion of the fans quietly want to just sod off.

Yes we are, but with some key differences.

Sousa did make us more defensive but at least he didn’t rip up the work of the previous manager in the way Cooper has. Let’s not forget that Sousa had two quality players from the previous season’s squad missing (Scotland and Gomez) and his and the club’s (at the time) lack of ability in the transfer market led to them not being replaced properly.

With the addition of some quality in forward areas, mainly Sinclair, and then more laterally with Borini (as well as working out how best to use Dobbie) Rodgers was able to more or less hit the ground running the following season, more so than any new manager would now I think, unless of course we appointed someone who plays similar “football” to Cooper, god forbid.

I would also say that we had a more stable squad of good quality players back then, and were probably in better financial shape than we are now, with the loss of parachute payments and the £100 season tickets meaning we are probably again relying on player sales to fund the club for next season.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 15:43]
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 15:44 - Jun 2 with 1412 viewsOptimisticJack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 15:38 - Jun 2 by Joe_bradshaw

I enjoyed watching Potter's team fail to get promoted far more than I have watching Cooper's team fail to get promoted. A return to a pass and move style is more important to me than a few more points and no promotion either way.
Cooper's points return is remarkably high for virtually every other statistic about our games which is credit to him but I'm bored to tears.

Agree with regards to style of play.
However Steve Cooper did get us within 90 minutes of the Premier League.
Defensively under Potter we were poor Ipswich at home springs to mind.
I did however leave the stadium that day feeling we had been entertained despite shipping 4 or 5 goals at home.

Optimisticjack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:01 - Jun 2 with 1371 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 15:44 - Jun 2 by OptimisticJack

I did however leave the stadium that day feeling we had been entertained despite shipping 4 or 5 goals at home.

Yes, he remarkably got us to within 90 minutes of promotion but it was still a painful watch. Five shots on target in three play off games. We only just managed a shot on target per hour played.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:09 - Jun 2 with 1350 viewsOptimisticJack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:01 - Jun 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Yes, he remarkably got us to within 90 minutes of promotion but it was still a painful watch. Five shots on target in three play off games. We only just managed a shot on target per hour played.

Sadly must agree.

Optimisticjack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:14 - Jun 2 with 1341 viewsmonmouth

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:01 - Jun 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Getting us to Wembley and then humiliatingly playing like a bunch of scared school kids is a bigger letdown than being 7th. That’s clearly the best he’s got, and it’s simply not good enough. Why would we want to pay for more of that? Potter is a proven premier league manager, being praised for his team’s football, and being talked of for Tottenham and Everton. There is simply no comparison.

Cooper has topped out with the most lucky play off entrance ever (he had failed, and then Forest imploded), and limping past the only team in the play offs he had a chance against before surrendering embarrassingly...Selection, tactics, substitutions, reading the games, reacting positively, motivating. He has nothing. Just lump it up the pitch, stay in shape and hope you get lucky.

He’s garbage.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:19 - Jun 2 with 1332 viewsOptimisticJack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:14 - Jun 2 by monmouth

Getting us to Wembley and then humiliatingly playing like a bunch of scared school kids is a bigger letdown than being 7th. That’s clearly the best he’s got, and it’s simply not good enough. Why would we want to pay for more of that? Potter is a proven premier league manager, being praised for his team’s football, and being talked of for Tottenham and Everton. There is simply no comparison.

Cooper has topped out with the most lucky play off entrance ever (he had failed, and then Forest imploded), and limping past the only team in the play offs he had a chance against before surrendering embarrassingly...Selection, tactics, substitutions, reading the games, reacting positively, motivating. He has nothing. Just lump it up the pitch, stay in shape and hope you get lucky.

He’s garbage.

Should never underestimate the knowledge of football fans.
If Steve Parish were to come on here and read the many posts of a similar nature he would look elsewhere for a manager that's for sure.

Optimisticjack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:32 - Jun 2 with 1299 viewsmonmouth

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:19 - Jun 2 by OptimisticJack

If Steve Parish were to come on here and read the many posts of a similar nature he would look elsewhere for a manager that's for sure.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:59 - Jun 2 with 1263 viewsKeithHaynes

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:19 - Jun 2 by OptimisticJack

He is 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:00 - Jun 2 with 1263 viewsjasper_T

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 15:44 - Jun 2 by OptimisticJack

Defensively under Potter we had the third best record for conceding goals from open play in the division that season. Only Sheffield United and Boro conceded fewer. And we've conceded more from open play under Steve Cooper in each of his seasons.

Truly awful from set pieces with Potter, but to suggest Ipswich (3-2, not 4 or 5) was a common sight is outright false. It was at the start of October, and was Dan James first good game for us. Grimes started at left back, Connor right wing. Early days.
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:20 - Jun 2 with 1215 viewsDr_Parnassus

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 14:50 - Jun 2 by Thornburyswan

Interesting one Dr, if you’d been isolated for two years with no access to anything other than the statistical results + league tables you’d be thinking nice work for his first club management position particularly noting our very limited transfer funds.

Unfortunately for those of us who want to watch the team play it perfectly proves the old adage of lies, damn lies & statistics.

I disagree.

You don’t win consistently by playing badly, what you may be describing is winning in a manner which you dislike. Sadly winning isn’t easy, especially with such limited resources, and at this point any form of consistent winning is wholly desirable.

Under Potter many thought we were playing good football and didn’t get a sniff of the playoffs, this with the likes of Dan James, Olly McBurnie, Joe Rodon et al.

I would suggest that playing attractive football and failing to make the playoffs would cause far more dissatisfaction amongst the fan base than playing effective football and having preferential results and achieving playoffs.

If it was easy to play attractive football and get consistent results, then everyone would. I do find it quite amazing that people genuinely believe a new manager will be able to achieve such a feat when so many have failed to do so previously.

Only Brendan Rodgers has managed to get us winning consistently at this level and winning enough points to challenge for promotion....

He is arguably one of the best managers in Europe.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:22 - Jun 2 with 1218 viewsOptimisticJack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:00 - Jun 2 by jasper_T

Defensively under Potter we had the third best record for conceding goals from open play in the division that season. Only Sheffield United and Boro conceded fewer. And we've conceded more from open play under Steve Cooper in each of his seasons.

Truly awful from set pieces with Potter, but to suggest Ipswich (3-2, not 4 or 5) was a common sight is outright false. It was at the start of October, and was Dan James first good game for us. Grimes started at left back, Connor right wing. Early days.

Stand corrected.
Your memory is better than mine.
Finishing 10th under Potter was quite an achievement.

Optimisticjack

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:33 - Jun 2 with 1195 viewsguthrieintherain

I agree he is an incredible talent Palace need to move fast Or they will miss out with Spurs,Everton and Wolves all looking for new managers.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:42 - Jun 2 with 1170 viewsThornburyswan

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:20 - Jun 2 by Dr_Parnassus

I disagree.

You don’t win consistently by playing badly, what you may be describing is winning in a manner which you dislike. Sadly winning isn’t easy, especially with such limited resources, and at this point any form of consistent winning is wholly desirable.

Under Potter many thought we were playing good football and didn’t get a sniff of the playoffs, this with the likes of Dan James, Olly McBurnie, Joe Rodon et al.

I would suggest that playing attractive football and failing to make the playoffs would cause far more dissatisfaction amongst the fan base than playing effective football and having preferential results and achieving playoffs.

If it was easy to play attractive football and get consistent results, then everyone would. I do find it quite amazing that people genuinely believe a new manager will be able to achieve such a feat when so many have failed to do so previously.

Only Brendan Rodgers has managed to get us winning consistently at this level and winning enough points to challenge for promotion....

He is arguably one of the best managers in Europe.

Fair enough Dr you are clearly entitled to your view & I do agree that you do not win consistently playing badly - however the issue I have is over the passed two seasons I have, bar a handful of games, rarely enjoyed a match & even when we were winning our approach was ‘let’s drop 10 yards & hold what we have.

That philosophy is fine against top 3/4 sides & in last maybe 5 minutes of a game but not, for me, as a standard strategy from the first whistle.

The other critical point for me was very limited progression in playing style & strategy - I accept we progressed in the points per game & league table.

For me we both, that’s Cooper & us, have gone as far as we can together and a parting of the ways this summer would suit both parties - I’m under no illusion that a new manager will suddenly get us playing better but I’m sure he/she will try & I will give them time, even if that means a relegation battle next season.
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:57 - Jun 2 with 1135 viewsonehunglow

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:14 - Jun 2 by monmouth

He’s garbage.

Absolutely,which is why I started a thread questioning whether it was worth reaching a play off only to be humiliated. It realaly did prolong the pain of this turgid coach's reign.
We so desperately need to restart and dumpong this guy is crucial.

He should have gone by now

We are better than Steve Cooper and we deserve much more respect as fans. He fed us a load of management speak drivel and utterly failed to bring in quality players . Bearing in mind the fees we received under his tenure makes me seethe more than any manager I can remember and I can go back more years than most.
These forums give a platform for those wanting to be seen as great and better
fans ;to big themselves up to other keyboard Kings of Nothing.

I believe we kid ourselves that Cooper will be taken by another club.Sky pundit drivel speak is one thing but nobody with football nous is taken in by Steve Cooper,as has been shown this season when a succession of managers of clubs playing badly hitherto have simply stuffed us,ie,Huddersfield.Twice. People need to recall how we capitulated but still passed the ball sideways and backwards and had a keeper kicking the ball directly into touch when we needed it in opponents box.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:03 - Jun 2 with 1132 viewsHeadmaster

What's the decision then? Has he gone yet?
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:08 - Jun 2 with 1113 viewsCatullus

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:42 - Jun 2 by Thornburyswan

Fair enough Dr you are clearly entitled to your view & I do agree that you do not win consistently playing badly - however the issue I have is over the passed two seasons I have, bar a handful of games, rarely enjoyed a match & even when we were winning our approach was ‘let’s drop 10 yards & hold what we have.

That philosophy is fine against top 3/4 sides & in last maybe 5 minutes of a game but not, for me, as a standard strategy from the first whistle.

The other critical point for me was very limited progression in playing style & strategy - I accept we progressed in the points per game & league table.

For me we both, that’s Cooper & us, have gone as far as we can together and a parting of the ways this summer would suit both parties - I’m under no illusion that a new manager will suddenly get us playing better but I’m sure he/she will try & I will give them time, even if that means a relegation battle next season.

That was the big problem, I could understand caution against Watford or Brentford but Wycombe???
I posted the shooting stats earlier, we were third from bottom. Up to a point we were extremely efficient in front of goal but then at some point we just stopped shooting. Our low number of shots at goal became a tiny number.

Ok we were 90 minutes aay from the EPL, 90 minutes but a million miles away. Playing like that against Brentford I'd expect us to lose nearly every time. No shots on target and defending poorly, it was hardly a glorious failure, we did not go down fighting, it was with a whimper.
If people can be happy watching that dross again, even if it brings success, I reckon the attendances will suffer. Kids won't want to watch it. They'd rather watch MOTD.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:10 - Jun 2 with 1098 viewsjasper_T

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 17:22 - Jun 2 by OptimisticJack

Stand corrected.
Your memory is better than mine.
Finishing 10th under Potter was quite an achievement.

I looked it up. Enjoyable game for sure, Celina should have scored a hattrick with the chances DJ was setting up for him.

We had an international break immediately afterwards, DJ went with Wales for the first time but didn't even get to put the kit on, and Potter dropped him for the next league game (Villa in the first wingbacks experiment). Still two months away from naming an unchanged starting 11. People forget that whole period when they claim Cooper has had a weaker squad to work with, it took half a season for many of the stars to establish themselves.
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:16 - Jun 2 with 1080 viewsHeadmaster

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 16:59 - Jun 2 by KeithHaynes

He is 👍

Ffs, the one time we actually need a club to take a manager off our hands.

Any other clubs interested in him?
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:24 - Jun 2 with 1064 viewsPawelAbbott

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:08 - Jun 2 by Catullus

That was the big problem, I could understand caution against Watford or Brentford but Wycombe???
I posted the shooting stats earlier, we were third from bottom. Up to a point we were extremely efficient in front of goal but then at some point we just stopped shooting. Our low number of shots at goal became a tiny number.

Ok we were 90 minutes aay from the EPL, 90 minutes but a million miles away. Playing like that against Brentford I'd expect us to lose nearly every time. No shots on target and defending poorly, it was hardly a glorious failure, we did not go down fighting, it was with a whimper.
If people can be happy watching that dross again, even if it brings success, I reckon the attendances will suffer. Kids won't want to watch it. They'd rather watch MOTD.

The point it got worse was when Hourihane was shoe horned into the side. That's when we became really pedestrian
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:33 - Jun 2 with 1049 viewsKeithHaynes

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:16 - Jun 2 by Headmaster

Ffs, the one time we actually need a club to take a manager off our hands.

Any other clubs interested in him?

It was reported on here last week that the American owners want Cooper but the chairman definitely doesn’t, he wants Dyche or at the very least Howe.

Spurs and WBA still looking to fill positions. And if they go for a Potter at Spurs, Brighton looks favourite, but that’s only my opinion.

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:45 - Jun 2 with 1031 viewsThornburyswan

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:33 - Jun 2 by KeithHaynes

It was reported on here last week that the American owners want Cooper but the chairman definitely doesn’t, he wants Dyche or at the very least Howe.

Spurs and WBA still looking to fill positions. And if they go for a Potter at Spurs, Brighton looks favourite, but that’s only my opinion.

Interesting K, SSN reporting Conte talking to Spurs - interesting to see in Nuno fancies the Everton job.

Be quite a coup getting Dyche or Howe & unless our American committee are up for spending a good few $$$ would seem unlikely to me so hope you have the inside line on that.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 18:45]
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 19:06 - Jun 2 with 968 viewsmonmouth

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:45 - Jun 2 by Thornburyswan

Interesting K, SSN reporting Conte talking to Spurs - interesting to see in Nuno fancies the Everton job.

Be quite a coup getting Dyche or Howe & unless our American committee are up for spending a good few $$$ would seem unlikely to me so hope you have the inside line on that.

He means Palace.

We need rid of our numpty before we can look for someone else. My main hope is WBA, or as Keith says, Brighton who may be fooled that he’s another Potter. No Prem club without scales over their eyes will touch him. Although maybe just maybe we can get his PowerPoint fantasy show in front of someone else daft enough to believe it.

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 19:31 - Jun 2 with 934 viewsThornburyswan

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 19:06 - Jun 2 by monmouth

He means Palace.

We need rid of our numpty before we can look for someone else. My main hope is WBA, or as Keith says, Brighton who may be fooled that he’s another Potter. No Prem club without scales over their eyes will touch him. Although maybe just maybe we can get his PowerPoint fantasy show in front of someone else daft enough to believe it.

Ah thanks Mon, that makes more sense.
Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 19:44 - Jun 2 with 909 viewsonehunglow

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:33 - Jun 2 by KeithHaynes

And it why we can never move forward with these owners

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 20:10 - Jun 2 with 883 viewsKeithHaynes

Steve Cooper will be given an ultimatum today. Stay and do your job - or go ! on 18:45 - Jun 2 by Thornburyswan

Sorry, I meant Palace, they have American owners.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024