Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? 07:41 - Feb 14 with 6341 viewsDr_Parnassus

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Straight swap deal.

Get your votes in.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2023 7:41]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:02 - Feb 18 with 427 viewsDr_Parnassus

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 08:44 - Feb 18 by jack247

Sorry. It was either shot or chance conversion rate. Not now, this was a couple of months ago. He’s been on a decent run since then.

No idea, wouldn’t be best practice to take a select portion of Piroes season and compare to Ayews whole tenure though. I’m sure we could isolate a similar period in Ayews career if that is true.

What matters is his overall performance for Swansea. Piroe has around 70 games and Ayew has around 90.

Taking penalties away because it heavily skews reality, Piroes shot conversion is far higher. Which is remarkable considering the vast majority of Ayews goals come from close range.

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:07 - Feb 18 with 427 viewsjack247

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 08:24 - Feb 18 by Dr_Parnassus

For him to beat the men you say he does (his dribbling stats aren’t as good as you suggest, he had limited pace) there would need to be deep lying defence. There isn’t, hence why we have incredibly low touches in the box and Piroe has to striker a huge amount of his goals from outside the box.

But again this just comes down to chance conversion, Piroes is significantly higher despite the majority of his chances being harder than Ayews, of which a 36% come from within 6 yards, as opposed to only 3% in Piroes case.

There’s a difference in twisting and turning past a player enough to make a few yards, shift it on to your left foot to get a shot away and knocking a ball past a player and outpacing them. He’s very good at the former.

We have low touches in the box now because we’re incredibly slow getting there and defences are inevitably camped around it. We were much more defensive under Cooper but transitioned quicker. The only player v player comparisons we can make have to factor in the different playing styles.

Plus, as per my last post, if Piroe picks it up a few yards outside the area, his instinct is to shoot on either foot. Ayew picks it up in the same place, he will drive at the defender and either get closer to goal on his stronger foot, or lose possession. Either way it won’t be a chance from outside the box.
Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:15 - Feb 18 with 413 viewsDr_Parnassus

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:07 - Feb 18 by jack247

There’s a difference in twisting and turning past a player enough to make a few yards, shift it on to your left foot to get a shot away and knocking a ball past a player and outpacing them. He’s very good at the former.

We have low touches in the box now because we’re incredibly slow getting there and defences are inevitably camped around it. We were much more defensive under Cooper but transitioned quicker. The only player v player comparisons we can make have to factor in the different playing styles.

Plus, as per my last post, if Piroe picks it up a few yards outside the area, his instinct is to shoot on either foot. Ayew picks it up in the same place, he will drive at the defender and either get closer to goal on his stronger foot, or lose possession. Either way it won’t be a chance from outside the box.

Well I have posted Ayews goals above, all of them.

It’s a relatively short video, you tell me how many he receives the ball outside the box and does as you describe, driving past players resulting in an “in box” goal.

I’ll have a watch of it as well and see if we get to the same number.

My memory of the video was that a third were penalties, a third were pure tap ins and the rest was generally penalty spot cut backs etc

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:22 - Feb 18 with 409 viewsDr_Parnassus

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 10:23 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

You must be remembering another Ayew.

All his championship goals:

Goals: 31

Goals outside the 18 yard box: 1 (3.2%)
Goals inside the 18 yard box (outside 6): 12 (38.7%)
Goals inside the 6 yard box: 8 (25.8%)
Penalties: 10 (32.2%)

So he only scored one goal outside the box, a large % tap ins from inside the 6 yard box.

Bump - this is the video.

I counted only 1 goal as you describe.

There would be an argument potentially for 2 if you count the one where he simply advances the ball 3 yards before shooting, but he didn’t beat anyone, just moved it a bit closer from picking it up just outside the box.

It struck me while watching how little of those chances would present themselves under this system.

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:27 - Feb 18 with 403 viewsjack247

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:15 - Feb 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Well I have posted Ayews goals above, all of them.

It’s a relatively short video, you tell me how many he receives the ball outside the box and does as you describe, driving past players resulting in an “in box” goal.

I’ll have a watch of it as well and see if we get to the same number.

My memory of the video was that a third were penalties, a third were pure tap ins and the rest was generally penalty spot cut backs etc

Ok, that’s fair. I had 3 including the one that was scored from outside the box.

When he drives into the box and loses possession, passes or wins a penalty, what does that count as? Does it only count as a chance if he shoots?
Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:34 - Feb 18 with 401 viewsDr_Parnassus

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:27 - Feb 18 by jack247

Ok, that’s fair. I had 3 including the one that was scored from outside the box.

When he drives into the box and loses possession, passes or wins a penalty, what does that count as? Does it only count as a chance if he shoots?

Yep, same as a last ditch tackle on Piroe, it won’t count as a chance.

Ayew takes penalties so any he wins will be counted in his “penalty included xG” and also shot conversion rate, although it’s not very reliable as a comparison - and of course winning a couple of more penalties due to his time in the box should never be something to consider in a side that spends the majority of the time outside it.

Piroe is by far a better fit in this side by almost every metric.

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:59 - Feb 18 with 377 viewsjack247

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:34 - Feb 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Yep, same as a last ditch tackle on Piroe, it won’t count as a chance.

Ayew takes penalties so any he wins will be counted in his “penalty included xG” and also shot conversion rate, although it’s not very reliable as a comparison - and of course winning a couple of more penalties due to his time in the box should never be something to consider in a side that spends the majority of the time outside it.

Piroe is by far a better fit in this side by almost every metric.

Fair enough I’ll take that as well.

We’d win more penalties with Ayew, but happy to accept that’s not going to make a huge difference.
Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 10:06 - Feb 18 with 374 viewsDr_Parnassus

Would you swap Ayew for Piroe? on 09:59 - Feb 18 by jack247

Fair enough I’ll take that as well.

We’d win more penalties with Ayew, but happy to accept that’s not going to make a huge difference.

We would if he got enough possession in the box, but I’m not convinced he would.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024