Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How and why did we start following the swans. 19:46 - Mar 15 with 3266 viewsAguycalledJack

Not sure if this has been done before but I’ll start.

Started as a family thing with me. Dad worked continentals, so took me to the swans when he could. Because of this, it was my grandfather and uncle who instilled the true passion for the swans in me and took me along what seemed like every Saturday. Sitting in the centre stand. My grandfather used to say he’d had the same seat since the 2nd world war. With his name on it I used to believe it. Now for me it’s still a family thing, dad, uncle, cousin, nephews etc. It’s my daughters first game against QPR and at the age of 5 she can’t wait. Hopefully, another generation of swans fans started. I have Also gained so many good mates by following the swans through the good and mainly the bad times.

Going off on a tangent, this is why the club and the team mean so much to people.
[Post edited 15 Mar 19:48]
How and why did we start following the swans. on 00:23 - Mar 21 with 507 viewsRobbie

North Bank from late 60 s for me , Posh seats in the Centre Stand across the eyeline .

Started working and a pay packet followed , paid £4 to sit in them seats as a one off .

Nope , back to The North Bank , not for me .

Malcom Struel was Chairman them , Doug Sharpe came soon after , all characters with a bit of background , but did their bit for the club , knew who they were .

Now football is run by Sky , Oligarch and Saudi influences , Vetch Field atmoshpere is long gone and sadly missed .

Much as like The Liberty / Dot com whatever the ever changing name is , cannot get the thrill and feel , even as a then youngster standing on the NB .
How and why did we start following the swans. on 11:15 - Mar 21 with 458 views1983

How and why did we start following the swans. on 00:23 - Mar 21 by Robbie

North Bank from late 60 s for me , Posh seats in the Centre Stand across the eyeline .

Started working and a pay packet followed , paid £4 to sit in them seats as a one off .

Nope , back to The North Bank , not for me .

Malcom Struel was Chairman them , Doug Sharpe came soon after , all characters with a bit of background , but did their bit for the club , knew who they were .

Now football is run by Sky , Oligarch and Saudi influences , Vetch Field atmoshpere is long gone and sadly missed .

Much as like The Liberty / Dot com whatever the ever changing name is , cannot get the thrill and feel , even as a then youngster standing on the NB .

I feel sorry for Swansea City fans who never watched football at the Vetch, it will always be the Vetch for me that's why I have been to .com stadium about 20 -30 times since the move. I have sat in all the stands and hospitality its Swansea City FC...but its not mine, the derby game did feel like Swansea City of old I seen some old faces I haven't seen for about a decade, that gritty atmosphere, sh1t weather and our players getting stuck in and giving it 100% I'm sure it will soon turn back to that sterile enviroment of organised entertainment,wearing the club shop with pop corn and hot dogs.
I know a lot of cardiff fans feel the same way about CCS & Ninian park and they don't bother only for their big games against us

How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:35 - Mar 21 with 401 viewsSullutaCreturned

How and why did we start following the swans. on 11:15 - Mar 21 by 1983

I feel sorry for Swansea City fans who never watched football at the Vetch, it will always be the Vetch for me that's why I have been to .com stadium about 20 -30 times since the move. I have sat in all the stands and hospitality its Swansea City FC...but its not mine, the derby game did feel like Swansea City of old I seen some old faces I haven't seen for about a decade, that gritty atmosphere, sh1t weather and our players getting stuck in and giving it 100% I'm sure it will soon turn back to that sterile enviroment of organised entertainment,wearing the club shop with pop corn and hot dogs.
I know a lot of cardiff fans feel the same way about CCS & Ninian park and they don't bother only for their big games against us

I sort of agree, I miss the Vetch too but it's partly sentimentality. Like a lot of us I grew up there, I made lifelong frends there and I experienced some stuff I'm glad my son never will. In turn he says he's jealous that he will never see some of the things I did.

We cannot stop "progress" but the increasingly sterile nature of sport isn't in any way an improvement to me, the recent "derby" game brought back the feeling, the passionand the enjoyment that has been missing for much too long. Myself and my son prefer the away games.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:49 - Mar 21 with 390 viewsonehunglow

How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:35 - Mar 21 by SullutaCreturned

I sort of agree, I miss the Vetch too but it's partly sentimentality. Like a lot of us I grew up there, I made lifelong frends there and I experienced some stuff I'm glad my son never will. In turn he says he's jealous that he will never see some of the things I did.

We cannot stop "progress" but the increasingly sterile nature of sport isn't in any way an improvement to me, the recent "derby" game brought back the feeling, the passionand the enjoyment that has been missing for much too long. Myself and my son prefer the away games.

It’s entirely sentiment .
It was a dump with no facilities at all.
These days ,our beauts won’t stand around in freezing pisse nor can they go without a bottle of plastic beer .
Apart from that,when young,we couldn’t really see so brought orange boxes ,milk crates ,wooden steps to stand on.
It’s progress and much these days lack “ character” but fact is we have changed and wouldn’t put up with it as things were

Kids no longer get sent up chimneys and the milkmen now don’t have horses to put the floats

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:54 - Mar 21 with 383 viewsSullutaCreturned

How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:49 - Mar 21 by onehunglow

It’s entirely sentiment .
It was a dump with no facilities at all.
These days ,our beauts won’t stand around in freezing pisse nor can they go without a bottle of plastic beer .
Apart from that,when young,we couldn’t really see so brought orange boxes ,milk crates ,wooden steps to stand on.
It’s progress and much these days lack “ character” but fact is we have changed and wouldn’t put up with it as things were

Kids no longer get sent up chimneys and the milkmen now don’t have horses to put the floats

Well the last line, the world would be a better place if we'd never discovered ol and the internal combustion engine!

Did you know I was a Luddite!

You do have a point though, the reason our crowds are better is the better ground, the better facilities, otherwise we would be playing in a cess pit in front of a few thousand.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:59 - Mar 21 with 379 viewsonehunglow

How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:54 - Mar 21 by SullutaCreturned

Well the last line, the world would be a better place if we'd never discovered ol and the internal combustion engine!

Did you know I was a Luddite!

You do have a point though, the reason our crowds are better is the better ground, the better facilities, otherwise we would be playing in a cess pit in front of a few thousand.

lol.
I remember being in school with a lad who’s dad drive the last horse drawn milk float .
Samuels

You’ve sent me back 60 yrs !

I forgot to add the fact boys were flogged in schools for missing homework

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024