Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Please help me understand this! 06:48 - Apr 10 with 3812 viewssoulboy

As i've only been watching The Dale since 1966, i wonder if someone, preferably a supporter of our chairman, can explain this. The chairman appoints a new manager who turns out to be a disaster. Almost half way through the season he is fired and an interim one is appointed who turns out to be even worse. Another manager is appointed who up to now has 14 points from 14 games, relegation form. In the summer players who have proved they aren't good enough will be shown the door. The chairman publicliy states he has got two major descisions wrong and the entire mess is his all fault. Despite this he hasn't offered to resign. Can someone explain how the chairman is still in his job?
Please help me understand this! on 07:00 - Apr 10 with 2359 viewsdale1968

Why Should he??

He is a Human Being not a Machine and do Humans not make mistakes??

Yes.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Please help me understand this! on 07:35 - Apr 10 with 2332 viewsnordenblue

Can i ask you a question too while were on the subject, who would be at the head of the worlds longest queue to replace him if as you say he offers to resign, and would have the clubs interest more at heart than our current chairman? Put simply who would pump endless amounts of their own money into a club the town doesn't give a toss about?
Please help me understand this! on 08:05 - Apr 10 with 2310 viewsSalwaDale

What a ridiculous post. Why does. Culpability have to mean resignation? Give me a league 2 Rochdale over a Rochdale in administration. Without doubt CD got it wrong this season but why on earth that should mean he resigns I have absolutely no idea. Unless you have an endlesss supply of money to pump into the club Soulboy?

TBBT

Please help me understand this! on 09:30 - Apr 10 with 2228 viewsSuddenLad

The Chairman 'got lucky' with the appointment of Keith Hill, it worked and we advanced immeasurably as a professional club, and got the 'holy grail' of promotion.

Then, when Hillcroft decamped, the Chairman assumed his luck would continue with the appointment of Steve Eyre. Wrong, and likewise with Beech, who was a bigger gamble than ever, given our situation at the time.

I'm willing to bet that there is no-one more disappointed nor more embarrassed by our current situation, than the Chairman.

If I have one gripe with him, it is the nonsensical claim about the 'quality of candidates' statement he made during the selection process prior to Eyre being given the job.

That's made him look a fool when you consider where we are now. That said, like all of us, he's older, wiser and probably won't make the same mistake again.

John Coleman is hardly the 'young, up-and-coming manager' model that the Chairman was so keen to promote 10 months ago.

The sooner August comes, the better. The last 9 months have been torrid, disappointing, difficult to watch and a massive learning curve for everyone, Chairman included. Talk of him standing down is utter nonsense - get a grip.

As Keith Hill said only yesterday after the Blackpool - Barnsley game, 'I want to stick this season in Room 101 and get on with the next'. I know exactly what he means.

Up the Dale.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Please help me understand this! on 09:30 - Apr 10 with 2223 viewsJumeirahDale

I assume every time you've made a mistake in your professional life soulboy you've instantly resigned from your job?

Most people would instead prefer to learn from their mistakes and get better, because they have a f*cking brain in their nut.

CD has put his heart, soul and a shedload of money into the club, and has provided several seasons of success to compare with one of modest failure. If you can find someone else capable, we're all ears.
Please help me understand this! on 09:41 - Apr 10 with 2201 viewselectricblue

On that basis who do you want to replace him?

Are you looking to be the next chairman, would you be a football league club chairman!

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Please help me understand this! on 10:34 - Apr 10 with 2139 viewsBlueDutch

It will be interesting, if come next April we are in a similar position in League 2. I can't see Coleman attracting players any better than ones he had at Accrington Stanley. Rochdale are fast becoming the same club as in pre Parkin days. But unfortunately not as well run off the field as they were then. I hope I am wrong but I see a very tricky couple of seasons coming up, unless someone with money comes along to boost the coffers. I personally think Dunphy is out of his depth, but like someone said, there is nobody else, so we are stuck with him.

upthedale.nl

Please help me understand this! on 10:48 - Apr 10 with 2119 viewsfunkkk

Please help me understand this! on 09:30 - Apr 10 by SuddenLad

The Chairman 'got lucky' with the appointment of Keith Hill, it worked and we advanced immeasurably as a professional club, and got the 'holy grail' of promotion.

Then, when Hillcroft decamped, the Chairman assumed his luck would continue with the appointment of Steve Eyre. Wrong, and likewise with Beech, who was a bigger gamble than ever, given our situation at the time.

I'm willing to bet that there is no-one more disappointed nor more embarrassed by our current situation, than the Chairman.

If I have one gripe with him, it is the nonsensical claim about the 'quality of candidates' statement he made during the selection process prior to Eyre being given the job.

That's made him look a fool when you consider where we are now. That said, like all of us, he's older, wiser and probably won't make the same mistake again.

John Coleman is hardly the 'young, up-and-coming manager' model that the Chairman was so keen to promote 10 months ago.

The sooner August comes, the better. The last 9 months have been torrid, disappointing, difficult to watch and a massive learning curve for everyone, Chairman included. Talk of him standing down is utter nonsense - get a grip.

As Keith Hill said only yesterday after the Blackpool - Barnsley game, 'I want to stick this season in Room 101 and get on with the next'. I know exactly what he means.

Up the Dale.

I have no doubts that Dunphy has given it his all over the past few years, unfortunately that doesn't mean he is up to the task. For me appointing Hilly was the only real thing of note he has done and as you admit he got lucky.

The season has been awful and unfortunately, by his own admission, this is largely due to CD's mistakes. The fact is that even though he supported Hill as much as possible he has allowed the off field situation to stagnate. Mistakes in appointments of managers are commonplace but he has done little away from the playing side of things to make me feel he has done a good job.
Login to get fewer ads

Please help me understand this! on 11:37 - Apr 10 with 2069 viewssoulboy

Yes, i have made mistakes like everyone else but Dunphy had two major tasks this season - to appoint a new manager who turned out to be hopeless - and to fire him, which he did too late. Both catastrophic errors. And wigandale why is my original post ridiculous, have i said something that wasnt correct? Am i imagining it that Dunphy has admitted he got major decisions wrong? Perhaps you think Eyre was a good choice or Beech should have been given more?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Please help me understand this! on 11:48 - Apr 10 with 2048 viewsDaley_Lama

Is CD got something "wrong" in appointing Steve Eyre did he equally get something "wrong" in appointing Keith Hill?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Poll: DF in or out

Please help me understand this! on 12:23 - Apr 10 with 1984 viewsfunkkk

Please help me understand this! on 11:48 - Apr 10 by Daley_Lama

Is CD got something "wrong" in appointing Steve Eyre did he equally get something "wrong" in appointing Keith Hill?

Hill was a temporary appointment until he made it impossible for CD not to give him the job. I'm still at a loss to understand how Eyre was worthy of a managerial role at a League 1 football club. Then there was the Beech debacle...
Please help me understand this! on 12:27 - Apr 10 with 1969 viewsraadale

I've read some tripe on this messageboard recently, in fact it's becoming pretty famous for it. But this topic has to be the tripiest i've ever read. Sack the chairman indeed. If you've been watching Dale since 1966 and you think this is bad then you've had your eyes firmly shut and your head buried in the sand for quite a lot of the last 45 years. In the middle of one of the worst economic periods for a very long time we have a safe and secure club and have money for a decent assault on league 2 next year. I assume you were 100% against the Eyre, Beech and Coleman signings when dunphy employed them? I just can't seem to find your posts of disgust from those time periods yet Dunphy is supposed to have the power of foresight about it and therefore should fall on his sword accordingly.

Yes we've not had a good season but anybody who wants Coleman out already when he's been playing with Eyres team and a few loan signings and hasn't had the benefit of any sort of transfer window wants their bumps felt.

Maybe we should sell the club to somebody who doeasn't give a shit but says they've got lots of money, i hear munto finance are in the market.
Please help me understand this! on 12:27 - Apr 10 with 1966 viewsSalwaDale

Please help me understand this! on 11:37 - Apr 10 by soulboy

Yes, i have made mistakes like everyone else but Dunphy had two major tasks this season - to appoint a new manager who turned out to be hopeless - and to fire him, which he did too late. Both catastrophic errors. And wigandale why is my original post ridiculous, have i said something that wasnt correct? Am i imagining it that Dunphy has admitted he got major decisions wrong? Perhaps you think Eyre was a good choice or Beech should have been given more?

The resign bit was the ridiculous bit. The rest was probably fair enough.

TBBT

Please help me understand this! on 12:28 - Apr 10 with 1966 viewsDaley_Lama

Fair enough, Hill was appointed in a temporary role and did indeed make the position his own.

Apart from with hindsight, was there any difference between Hill's appointment in a temporary role and Chris Beech's appointment?

CD as fully admitted he got SE wrong and partly put it down to trusting people who sold him a duck egg.

Poll: DF in or out

Please help me understand this! (n/t) on 12:29 - Apr 10 with 1963 viewsPhil

Please help me understand this! on 12:31 - Apr 10 with 1953 viewsSuddenLad

Please help me understand this! on 11:48 - Apr 10 by Daley_Lama

Hindsight isn't really the point.

Keith Hill was picked from within the club and initially put 'in temporary charge'. He more or less served a 'probationary period', subsequently proved his worth, thus earning himself a full time contract. The club were fortunate that it went in their favour. We could say that the decision proved to be correct one. It wasn't a hasty decision.

Steve Eyre, was carefully chosen over a protracted period and a lengthy interview process. He was chosen (so we are told) from numerous 'high quality applicants', was given a lengthy contract from the outset, was a disaster and the decision to dispense with his services was made too late. The selection process was flawed, the decision to appoint him was a disaster, and many said so at the time. It was the wrong decision before we had ever kicked a ball.

I don't think looking at it in hindsight has much to do with it. One decision was made with due consideration and made properly, the other was made with totally the wrong 'criteria' in mind, i.e: appointing 'a young up-and-coming manager, simply for the sake of it.

If ever we needed a firm hand on the tiller, and someone who knew what League One was about, it was last August - particularly when half the team was heading either for the M62 or M6.

At least we now have a man in charge who knows the ins-and-outs of League Two, and with whom we have a fighting chance. We hope.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Please help me understand this! on 12:33 - Apr 10 with 1948 viewsukidale07

He got it wrong. Cd came out and said so. He is bound to make a mistake, If be at Dale or whatever else , doesn't meant that he has to step down. Yes this season hasent been greast but at least he can be man enough to take a share of the blame.
Please help me understand this! on 12:48 - Apr 10 with 1916 viewsfunkkk

Please help me understand this! on 12:28 - Apr 10 by Daley_Lama

Fair enough, Hill was appointed in a temporary role and did indeed make the position his own.

Apart from with hindsight, was there any difference between Hill's appointment in a temporary role and Chris Beech's appointment?

CD as fully admitted he got SE wrong and partly put it down to trusting people who sold him a duck egg.

It was the handling of the Beech situation that was the main problem to be honest...
Please help me understand this! on 12:49 - Apr 10 with 1908 viewsJumeirahDale

Please help me understand this! on 12:31 - Apr 10 by SuddenLad

Hindsight isn't really the point.

Keith Hill was picked from within the club and initially put 'in temporary charge'. He more or less served a 'probationary period', subsequently proved his worth, thus earning himself a full time contract. The club were fortunate that it went in their favour. We could say that the decision proved to be correct one. It wasn't a hasty decision.

Steve Eyre, was carefully chosen over a protracted period and a lengthy interview process. He was chosen (so we are told) from numerous 'high quality applicants', was given a lengthy contract from the outset, was a disaster and the decision to dispense with his services was made too late. The selection process was flawed, the decision to appoint him was a disaster, and many said so at the time. It was the wrong decision before we had ever kicked a ball.

I don't think looking at it in hindsight has much to do with it. One decision was made with due consideration and made properly, the other was made with totally the wrong 'criteria' in mind, i.e: appointing 'a young up-and-coming manager, simply for the sake of it.

If ever we needed a firm hand on the tiller, and someone who knew what League One was about, it was last August - particularly when half the team was heading either for the M62 or M6.

At least we now have a man in charge who knows the ins-and-outs of League Two, and with whom we have a fighting chance. We hope.

I can see some validity in some of your points, however starting with 'hindsight isn't really the point' doesn't work. Hindsight is the point. All those lining up to watch CD fall on his sword might have mumbled a few words of concern when SE was appointed, but it was hardly the mass protest your post makes it sound like.

I'm happy for people to criticise the non-playing side of the club (which we all know needs a kick up the arse), but having a go at CD for making a decision which he made with the best intentions and didn't come off (and he has now apologised for) is the mark of a sh*thouse.

Oh and Phil, if you think the Directors have made net zero contribution to the club you might want to find another thread, this one is probably a bit over your head pal.
Please help me understand this! on 13:02 - Apr 10 with 1878 viewselectricblue

I'm all for CD to take Dale forward for another 10yrs and from this season CD has been on a massive learning curve and still is..
The appointment of SE still baffles me to this day, when looking at CV's you have two options.
Option one, in the waste bin.
Option two interview the person..
But reading SE CV sure CD had read that SE had never managed a team only coached and that to me should have put his CV in option one..
Coaching and managing are two different skills and SE has neither..

Please help me understand this! on 13:04 - Apr 10 with 1870 viewsSalwaDale

Please help me understand this! on 13:02 - Apr 10 by electricblue

I'm all for CD to take Dale forward for another 10yrs and from this season CD has been on a massive learning curve and still is..
The appointment of SE still baffles me to this day, when looking at CV's you have two options.
But reading SE CV sure CD had read that SE had never managed a team only coached and that to me should have put his CV in option one..

Can't believe I'm typing this but I know footballers who would completely disagree about SE's coaching ability.

As for his managerial ability then I think you are spot on. I now can't even listen to GMR without being forced to angrily shout at the radio. What next, him and Simpsonout on late kick off together - I'd explode.

TBBT

Please help me understand this! on 13:07 - Apr 10 with 1861 viewselectricblue

Please help me understand this! on 13:04 - Apr 10 by SalwaDale

Can't believe I'm typing this but I know footballers who would completely disagree about SE's coaching ability.

As for his managerial ability then I think you are spot on. I now can't even listen to GMR without being forced to angrily shout at the radio. What next, him and Simpsonout on late kick off together - I'd explode.

I cant remember the last time that i listened to GMR, i just dont rate the station.
In fact i dont listen to the radio anymore as the music is utter cr@p.

Please help me understand this! on 13:16 - Apr 10 with 1844 viewsjudd

Please help me understand this! on 13:02 - Apr 10 by electricblue

You're assuming, and rightly so, that any CV presented by any applicant accurately reflected experience to date.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Please help me understand this! on 13:30 - Apr 10 with 1823 viewselectricblue

Please help me understand this! on 13:16 - Apr 10 by judd

You're assuming, and rightly so, that any CV presented by any applicant accurately reflected experience to date.

Yes....
But then the question at the interview should have asked what his managerial achievements where, then SE was snookerd behind the blue..

Please help me understand this! on 13:39 - Apr 10 with 1809 viewsjudd

Please help me understand this! on 13:30 - Apr 10 by electricblue

Yes....
But then the question at the interview should have asked what his managerial achievements where, then SE was snookerd behind the blue..

Hmm.

CV states "Managed Real Barcelona Reserves to win Europa League"

Question - "Did you manage Real Barcelona to win Europa League?"

Answer - "Yes".

Response - "Job's yours"

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024