Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speed Awareness Course 12:35 - May 23 with 7581 viewsGloucs_R

Posted on here a few weeks ago that I got caight speeding, 38 in a 30. Anyway, I got the forms through today for my Speed Awareness Course. Thames Valley is managed by the AA who charge £95 for you to attend. I said I didnt want to do the course in the TV so they told me to contact Glocs County who only charged me £72. Bit of a pish take that one company charge you so much more than another for the same course.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Speed Awareness Course on 23:24 - May 24 with 2638 viewsWanderR

I would of thought they could save money on these courses by forcing you to watch this video over and over for four hours instead.

Current location: OX10

Speed Awareness Course on 23:30 - May 24 with 2626 viewsCOASTALHOOP

Speed Awareness Course on 23:24 - May 24 by WanderR

I would of thought they could save money on these courses by forcing you to watch this video over and over for four hours instead.

This
Speed Awareness Course on 23:40 - May 24 with 2619 viewsBluce_Ree

Speed Awareness Course on 22:52 - May 24 by COASTALHOOP

I hope to god that none of you ever have to bury a child, killed by a speeding motorist.
Just 5mph over 30 can be the difference between life and death.
It's 30 for a reason.

I'm just messing around. I've been done for speeding twice in 15 years of driving. 36 and 38mph. And the last time was a while ago now. I'm not in the habit of speeding around. I do however like having a bit of fun on this messageboard occasionally but don't worry that's getting beaten out of me one post at a time...

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Speed Awareness Course on 23:58 - May 24 with 2610 viewsSydneyRs

Speed Awareness Course on 15:21 - May 24 by Bluce_Ree

Imagine some c*nts. Well that's the speed camera people.

I've had two in the last three years. 38 and 36mph. Oh f*ck off! Both of them on p1ss-poor signed roads which felt like 40mph ones.

So, for the second one I went on a speed awareness course. Bunch of surly c*nts sat there for SIX HOURS on a Saturday with no refreshments provided and we're a million miles from any shops. C*nts. After that bullshit we then have to go driving with some instructor c*nts. I'm in some guy's car - a fking hairdresser's piece of shit car - and he's telling me to drive around in third (like a c*nt) as that makes driving at 30mph feel really natural. Whatever you massive paedophile. It makes it easy for you to cruise by schools. C*nt.

He gets me to drive around and because we're in the middle of fcking nowhere, it's all country lanes and shit. There's no traffic or anything and I'm pootling around at 30 like some sort of b*stard. It's AGONY. I accidentally relax and I'm doing like 32 and he goes 'woah' like the f*cking HORSE MOLESTING C*NT that he is. F*ck my life. After five minutes of this fcking bullshit I've got a queue of like seven cars behind me getting pissed off. He's like 'ignore them and stick with 30 mph' like some sort of horrific nazi. For the next twenty minutes they, and I, are apoplectic with rage because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE AT 30 MPH. THIS IS WHY NO-ONE WANTS TO DO IT.

I'm dying of fking shame incase someone thinks I'm the fking Josef Fritzl 30 MPH c*nt and not this stamp-collecting c0ckholder who probably has his mother's fcking sp*nk-riddled corpse in the boot. Eventually I'm let out of this fcking Fritzl-basement-on-wheels and allowed back into my car which by now feels like the sweet, sweet thrillride I've always wanted.

Did I speed home? Yes. I was so wound up at having to spend my whole Saturday doing this bullshit that I'd have quite happily done 100MPH through a fcking nursing home at that point.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

As rants go that has to be one of the best ever.

The line about his Mother's corpse
Speed Awareness Course on 23:59 - May 24 with 2607 viewsandygg

Speed Awareness Course on 22:52 - May 24 by COASTALHOOP

I hope to god that none of you ever have to bury a child, killed by a speeding motorist.
Just 5mph over 30 can be the difference between life and death.
It's 30 for a reason.

Trouble is, most of the cameras are situated in the middle of no-where, where there are no pedestrians around. They are put there to make money, not save lives.
If it`s outside a school, or a built up area, then that is fair enough.
Speed Awareness Course on 00:03 - May 25 with 2603 viewsSydneyRs

Speed Awareness Course on 23:59 - May 24 by andygg

Trouble is, most of the cameras are situated in the middle of no-where, where there are no pedestrians around. They are put there to make money, not save lives.
If it`s outside a school, or a built up area, then that is fair enough.

No different here in Oz, the last thing they want is for people to actually stop speeding.

Revenue raisers. ATAF.

That said you only have yourself to blame if caught. Think I've been done 4 times, although none in the last 3 or 4 years.
Speed Awareness Course on 09:48 - May 25 with 2557 viewsdanehoop

So you knowingly broke the law. Instead of getting a more serious penalty you were given a better option, which possibly might improve your apparently deficient driving standards and be more productive for society.

Having received a genuine result your response is to complain about how hard done by you have been. Mmm. Yep, that sounds fair.

Never knowingly understood

Speed Awareness Course on 13:10 - May 25 with 2526 viewsCliff

Right first off let's get it out of the way - yes I have been caught once speeding on camera. Now to the main point of my post.

There are a lot of people who don't like speeding cameras or cameras at junctions looking for red light jumpers. personally I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you, you were caught breaking laws that were put in place for safety reasons.

It seems to me from postings on here and elsewhere and conversations over the years, that people are mainly annoyed at the manner in which they are caught, i.e. with technology. I take it that people with these views wouldn't object to CCTV images being used to track down offenders if they were mugged / assaulted in the street, or are these cameras somehow different?

If you are caught breaking the law then you are caught, pure and simple, it's no good complaining about HOW you were caught. I would have sympathy for people if they complained the laws were wrong, and could back up their claims,. Until then surely we look to technology to help track down more offenders (of all types, not just motorists) thus freeing up police time to work on area where technology is of less use.

Login to get fewer ads

Speed Awareness Course on 14:13 - May 25 with 2505 viewsQPR_Jim

Speed Awareness Course on 13:10 - May 25 by Cliff

Right first off let's get it out of the way - yes I have been caught once speeding on camera. Now to the main point of my post.

There are a lot of people who don't like speeding cameras or cameras at junctions looking for red light jumpers. personally I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you, you were caught breaking laws that were put in place for safety reasons.

It seems to me from postings on here and elsewhere and conversations over the years, that people are mainly annoyed at the manner in which they are caught, i.e. with technology. I take it that people with these views wouldn't object to CCTV images being used to track down offenders if they were mugged / assaulted in the street, or are these cameras somehow different?

If you are caught breaking the law then you are caught, pure and simple, it's no good complaining about HOW you were caught. I would have sympathy for people if they complained the laws were wrong, and could back up their claims,. Until then surely we look to technology to help track down more offenders (of all types, not just motorists) thus freeing up police time to work on area where technology is of less use.

The rules are wrong! (at least some of them)

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/rules.html
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/speeding.html

Can I have some sympathy now please.

As I said before I was caught doing 42 approaching a 40 area but had not yet left the 30 limit. Banged to rights, no arguement there. But seeing as I was on a dual carriageway in a non-built up area I'm not going to lose any sleep over being unsafe as it clearly isn't. How can I be dangerous one minute then 50m later perfectly fine? You can drive at 30mph down a residential road with kids out playing, this is more dangerous but not illegal, go figure that one out.

Now I'd like to point out I've never had an accident on the road, however the things that cause me trouble and have made me come closest to an accident are the following:

People parking too close or opposite a junction.

People doing under 60mph on a motorway when people are coming on/off.

People not indicating and or cutting people up.

These things (and many more I probably can't think of) are far more likely to cause an accident than breaking the speed limit but the Police couldn't care less.

The genuine dangers on the roads that the police ARE concerned about are drink driving or driving whilst on the phone, but there is no technology available to prevent that other than having police cars out on the streets to catch them. If they had the technology to help them catch drink drivers and people driving whilst on the phone that would help far more than speed cameras ever could.
Speed Awareness Course on 15:03 - May 25 with 2496 viewsCliff

Speed Awareness Course on 14:13 - May 25 by QPR_Jim

The rules are wrong! (at least some of them)

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/rules.html
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/speeding.html

Can I have some sympathy now please.

As I said before I was caught doing 42 approaching a 40 area but had not yet left the 30 limit. Banged to rights, no arguement there. But seeing as I was on a dual carriageway in a non-built up area I'm not going to lose any sleep over being unsafe as it clearly isn't. How can I be dangerous one minute then 50m later perfectly fine? You can drive at 30mph down a residential road with kids out playing, this is more dangerous but not illegal, go figure that one out.

Now I'd like to point out I've never had an accident on the road, however the things that cause me trouble and have made me come closest to an accident are the following:

People parking too close or opposite a junction.

People doing under 60mph on a motorway when people are coming on/off.

People not indicating and or cutting people up.

These things (and many more I probably can't think of) are far more likely to cause an accident than breaking the speed limit but the Police couldn't care less.

The genuine dangers on the roads that the police ARE concerned about are drink driving or driving whilst on the phone, but there is no technology available to prevent that other than having police cars out on the streets to catch them. If they had the technology to help them catch drink drivers and people driving whilst on the phone that would help far more than speed cameras ever could.

You would have got some sympathy if you hadn't have included links to a web site that contains utter garbage dressed up as science!

I'm sure some of the raw data that site contains is correct but the analysis is hopelessly flawed, it actually states that the best drivers generally drive faster than average! What do they suggest - variable speed limits on the same roads depending on "driver competence" ? - that won't cause any confusion will it!

Also what they seem to completely ignore is it is not "drivers competence" and therefore "risk of crashing" that is taken into account when setting the speed limits but the effects of the accident SHOULD one occur, or do they suggets that these so called "competent drivers" only ever speed in rubber cars that don't hurt pedestrians?
Speed Awareness Course on 15:11 - May 25 with 2495 viewsNorthernr

Speed Awareness Course on 15:21 - May 24 by Bluce_Ree

Imagine some c*nts. Well that's the speed camera people.

I've had two in the last three years. 38 and 36mph. Oh f*ck off! Both of them on p1ss-poor signed roads which felt like 40mph ones.

So, for the second one I went on a speed awareness course. Bunch of surly c*nts sat there for SIX HOURS on a Saturday with no refreshments provided and we're a million miles from any shops. C*nts. After that bullshit we then have to go driving with some instructor c*nts. I'm in some guy's car - a fking hairdresser's piece of shit car - and he's telling me to drive around in third (like a c*nt) as that makes driving at 30mph feel really natural. Whatever you massive paedophile. It makes it easy for you to cruise by schools. C*nt.

He gets me to drive around and because we're in the middle of fcking nowhere, it's all country lanes and shit. There's no traffic or anything and I'm pootling around at 30 like some sort of b*stard. It's AGONY. I accidentally relax and I'm doing like 32 and he goes 'woah' like the f*cking HORSE MOLESTING C*NT that he is. F*ck my life. After five minutes of this fcking bullshit I've got a queue of like seven cars behind me getting pissed off. He's like 'ignore them and stick with 30 mph' like some sort of horrific nazi. For the next twenty minutes they, and I, are apoplectic with rage because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE AT 30 MPH. THIS IS WHY NO-ONE WANTS TO DO IT.

I'm dying of fking shame incase someone thinks I'm the fking Josef Fritzl 30 MPH c*nt and not this stamp-collecting c0ckholder who probably has his mother's fcking sp*nk-riddled corpse in the boot. Eventually I'm let out of this fcking Fritzl-basement-on-wheels and allowed back into my car which by now feels like the sweet, sweet thrillride I've always wanted.

Did I speed home? Yes. I was so wound up at having to spend my whole Saturday doing this bullshit that I'd have quite happily done 100MPH through a fcking nursing home at that point.

Speed Awareness Course on 15:53 - May 25 with 2475 viewsGloryHunter

Speed Awareness Course on 15:11 - May 25 by Northernr

Great post Bruce. Glad I didn't get the chance to go on one now. Don't be put off posting because some people can't take a joke.
Speed Awareness Course on 16:58 - May 25 with 2458 viewsQPR_Jim

Speed Awareness Course on 15:03 - May 25 by Cliff

You would have got some sympathy if you hadn't have included links to a web site that contains utter garbage dressed up as science!

I'm sure some of the raw data that site contains is correct but the analysis is hopelessly flawed, it actually states that the best drivers generally drive faster than average! What do they suggest - variable speed limits on the same roads depending on "driver competence" ? - that won't cause any confusion will it!

Also what they seem to completely ignore is it is not "drivers competence" and therefore "risk of crashing" that is taken into account when setting the speed limits but the effects of the accident SHOULD one occur, or do they suggets that these so called "competent drivers" only ever speed in rubber cars that don't hurt pedestrians?

I'm not entirely convinced with all their data either tbh.

They do not suggest any such thing as variable speed limits just that the speed limits should be set as the upper end of the average speed. This works on the assumption that the average driver is not trying to kill people and is a considerate person who's able to make his own judgement of safe speed based on his surroundings.

I know lots of roads that are marked as 30mph but the width of the roads and the clear un-obstructed sightlines make me sure 40mph would be more suitable. On the otherhand I think all residential roads in built up areas should be 20mph as there's more chance of people/kids walking out. I'm sure it won't supprise you to learn that the roads that are 30mph where there is an arguement it could be 40mph have cameras along them and the roads that are 30mph despite most sensible people realising 25mph is pushing it do not.

Anyway lets leave it there, if we go any further I fear for your shift key with all the ?'s, !'s and quotations.
Speed Awareness Course on 17:07 - May 25 with 2448 viewsCliff

Speed Awareness Course on 16:58 - May 25 by QPR_Jim

I'm not entirely convinced with all their data either tbh.

They do not suggest any such thing as variable speed limits just that the speed limits should be set as the upper end of the average speed. This works on the assumption that the average driver is not trying to kill people and is a considerate person who's able to make his own judgement of safe speed based on his surroundings.

I know lots of roads that are marked as 30mph but the width of the roads and the clear un-obstructed sightlines make me sure 40mph would be more suitable. On the otherhand I think all residential roads in built up areas should be 20mph as there's more chance of people/kids walking out. I'm sure it won't supprise you to learn that the roads that are 30mph where there is an arguement it could be 40mph have cameras along them and the roads that are 30mph despite most sensible people realising 25mph is pushing it do not.

Anyway lets leave it there, if we go any further I fear for your shift key with all the ?'s, !'s and quotations.

I think we are pretty much in agreement, in that if anything needs to be changed it's the limits on certain roads, and that's what people should complain about not the method used to police the current limits.

There got away without using the shift key once !
Speed Awareness Course on 21:22 - May 25 with 2419 viewswestberksr

well my 35 in a 30 was on a B road between Henley and Reading; if there were any kids on that road the parents would need arresting! Middle of countryside and I lapsed by getting done; first time in 27 years of driving, average 25,000 miles pa.

Yep I got caught; will do the course and probably learn something from it.

But; for the love of God, the rant was a hilarious spoof of a possible scenario; nobody on here would condone speeding and reckless driving.

save the Bluce Ree One
Speed Awareness Course on 11:44 - Mar 27 with 2231 viewsJuzzie

Back to the top.

Why? Becuase I have to go on a Speed Awareness Course . 41 in a 30mph.

No complaints, bang to rights, it's 30mph for a reason. In context, it was the A316 which is predominantntly a 40mph limit (including a school right in a 40mph zone) but has a couple of short 30mph zones. It was 10.30am on a Monday morning and as I'd had a couple of hours off work and was then making my way to work and the traffic was clear by then and I just carried on at 35/40 that I had been doing all along the A316 and just didn't realise I was in a short 30 section. My fault.

I will no doubt have to sit there for 4 hours being utterly humiliated and biting my lip and not reacting even though I'd want to.

Why? Because I'm fking sick to death of utterly cnting drivers who do the most dangerous things yet get away with it because it's within the speed limit and there's no patrol cars around because the forces have been cut. Where the fk is all the money from the fines going to then?

Just yesterday on the VERY same stretch of road I had this cnt in a SUV tailgating me (I'm on a 800cc motorbike) and trying to bully me to go faster even though I was right on the speed limit. I couldn't go on the inside lane because a bus had stopped at a bus stop just ahead. He decided to undertake me, reaslised there was the bus there (obvioulsy too busy bullying me to have noticed) then blatantly cut me up as he got back into the outside lane. This was a minute after he had negotiated a roundabout in an aggresive and bullying manner. Not to me, but to other road users.
As I drove past him when we slowed down at the next set of lights he was a mid-20's guy. I gave him all the V signs, vvanker signs etc and he looked at me like he didn't give a schit.

This is on top of the daily dosage of drivers with appalling lane changing behaviour, using mobile phones, wearing headphones, jumping red lights, the rear of the car so dirty you can't see the number plate (on purpose of course) which is illegal, no lights at night, high beam/fog lights in clear daylight or at night in a built up area, being completely oblivious to other road users and so on.

These are just as bad as doing 40 in a 30, or 50 in a 40 etc, so why aren't these people being caught and prosecuted, it's madness.

[Post edited 27 Mar 2015 12:07]
Speed Awareness Course on 12:09 - Mar 27 with 2173 viewsDiscodroids

first off they cant fine you for speeding , my mate down the pub used to watch crown court when doing a bunk from school , if you have a 2p piece under your tongue it negates the calibration of the camera by some form of osmosis.

also if the camera isnt wearing a police hat when it clocks you , you have grounds for appeal and possible just cause to plough into a bus queue of your choosing while chinged beyound reason

furthermore , if they dont measure your skidmarks after driving down your high street like a daytona on the bonvelle saltflats, the pigs cant nick you.

just get them on the boil wash on the double sly , before they come calling.

lastly if you mow down the old bag , vi, over the road to me , i'll send jo round to the nick to give you a footjob under the table at visiting time.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2015 12:15]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Speed Awareness Course on 12:19 - Mar 27 with 2158 viewsHunterhoop

Ultimately, speed does not kill. Bad driving kills.

Going at 40mph in a built up area with loads of kids about is bad driving.

Doing 40mph on a dual carriage way is not bad driving. Doing 40mph on an empty country road is not bad driving. Doing 40mph at night in a residential area when there is no one on the pavement or roads is not bad driving.

It's the same at the upper end of the limits. Doing 85mph on the motorway today is a damn sight safer than doing 70mph in 1970. Cars stop far quicker than they used to, they all have power steering, they all have better safety features (airbads, crumple zones, etc).

It is sheer lunacy the speed limit is 70mph on the motorway.

Equally, common sense must be applied to speed limits. On most roads there is a time and a place where 20, 30 or 40 mph is right and sensible. At the same time there are times on the same roads where it's not and driving faster than the rigid speed limit is perfectly safe and sensible.

The "speed kills" brigade do my head in. BAD DRIVING KILLS NOT SPEED.

As has been said, speed cameras are there as revenue raisers not safety features. The A3 is a great example. There's about 5 in a 10-15 mile stretch each way between Putney and Hook. It's 3 lanes and there are no pedestrians anywhere. All the traffic does is cruise at 55-60mph and then all collectively break as one to get down to 50mph and then all accelerate back up to the cruising speed and then all break again....and so on. In what way are these cameras saving lives?

If drivers followed the rule of the road that "if you're not overtaking then get into the inside lane", there is no danger whatsoever to increasing that 50 zone to a 60 zone.

The same can be said for roads all over the country.

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills. If you want to make the road safer have more police on the roads not more speed traps.
Speed Awareness Course on 12:36 - Mar 27 with 2131 viewsJamie

Speed doesnt kill, bad driving kills. Says bad drivers. Who speed.
Speed Awareness Course on 12:41 - Mar 27 with 2122 viewsJuzzie

The letter I have received says "We are trying to educate people, rather than take legal action". - That's great, I applaud that but what about all the idiots I just described? How are they going to be caught and educated if there are no patrol cars around to spot them?
Basically, it seems you can drive like an utter cnt and as long as you don't get caught on a camera, you're laughing.

[Post edited 27 Mar 2015 12:44]
Speed Awareness Course on 12:42 - Mar 27 with 2119 viewsJuzzie

Speed Awareness Course on 12:36 - Mar 27 by Jamie

Speed doesnt kill, bad driving kills. Says bad drivers. Who speed.

It's not as black & white as that and that's my point.
Speed Awareness Course on 12:50 - Mar 27 with 2079 viewsDaiHo0p

I'm amazed that Gloucs managed to get his tractor to speed..
Speed Awareness Course on 12:52 - Mar 27 with 2076 viewsdolcelatte

On a serious note some Insurance companies are making it a condition of your insurance that you notify them if you have to attend a speed awareness course - Churchill are one I believe. They then increase your premium by roughly the amount of the cost of the course... You won't have the points of course but it will affect your insurance with them for 5 year.

Read the small print peeps.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Speed Awareness Course on 12:54 - Mar 27 with 2074 viewsGloucs_R

Speed Awareness Course on 12:50 - Mar 27 by DaiHo0p

I'm amazed that Gloucs managed to get his tractor to speed..

Well it was down hill....and I had dropped off the shipment of hay.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Speed Awareness Course on 13:19 - Mar 27 with 2031 viewsderbyhoop

There was a news story recently about a bloke getting stoppde for speeding on a main road in the Midlands. He told the officer that it was because "he thought he'd be late for his Speed Awareness Course". ATAF

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024