Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cornwall/Kernow 08:44 - Jun 2 with 5491 viewsAlbRanger

Moved from Guildford to Cornwall on Thursday.

Now in St Stephen.

Know there's a few on this board (mentioned on the other thread too), so where are you?

Maybe a local meeting point for games etc??
Cornwall/Kernow on 08:53 - Jun 2 with 4693 viewsTonto

my parents live near Rosudgeon which is on the road between Helston and Marizion/Penzance. Am usually down for the weekend once or twice a year when QPR are away

Tim Cocking is from that part of Cornwall too if I remember corectly

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Cornwall/Kernow on 09:00 - Jun 2 with 4675 viewsloftboy

Totally irrelevant but my mum and dad came back yesterday from the annual visit to pentewan sands near mevagissey and my dad has just brought me over a hand made pasty and a bottle of Betty Stoggs beer

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Cornwall/Kernow on 09:09 - Jun 2 with 4665 viewsscot1963

i'm in penzance - welcome to the land that time forgot. from what i recall a lot of posters had west country connections but maybe not so many actually living here
Cornwall/Kernow on 09:37 - Jun 2 with 4623 viewsAunt_Nelly

Cornwall/Kernow on 10:07 - Jun 2 with 4595 viewstimcocking

Cornwall/Kernow on 08:53 - Jun 2 by Tonto

my parents live near Rosudgeon which is on the road between Helston and Marizion/Penzance. Am usually down for the weekend once or twice a year when QPR are away

Tim Cocking is from that part of Cornwall too if I remember corectly

I have/had mates in rosudgeon, Sam Jones, Andre Beecher, Jay Lanagan? I'm overseas but maybe moving back over soon. I'd be delighted to meet any of you if I do. I always go back down there at least for visits.

Any of you know West Cornwall Pasty Co? My family business until we sold it. Good old oggies, they done me proper proud.
Cornwall/Kernow on 11:02 - Jun 2 with 4530 viewsMode

Moved from Goldhawk Road to Redruth a few months back. The change is enormous

Cornwall/Kernow on 12:34 - Jun 2 with 4463 viewsthemodfather

Cornwall/Kernow on 11:02 - Jun 2 by Mode

Moved from Goldhawk Road to Redruth a few months back. The change is enormous

my mum moved to st ives until she passed away, aug 99..i used to visit a lot and had some good times there...odd people, even with a family there we were outsiders, an "emmet"??
as i don't drive it was buses, chuff or walks...some lovely beaches, with surfing
wish i'd kept her gaff! doh...
Cornwall/Kernow on 12:38 - Jun 2 with 4452 viewspeejaybee

Cornwall/Kernow on 09:37 - Jun 2 by Aunt_Nelly

Hello Mum.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Login to get fewer ads

Cornwall/Kernow on 12:59 - Jun 2 with 4430 viewsMode

Cornwall/Kernow on 12:34 - Jun 2 by themodfather

my mum moved to st ives until she passed away, aug 99..i used to visit a lot and had some good times there...odd people, even with a family there we were outsiders, an "emmet"??
as i don't drive it was buses, chuff or walks...some lovely beaches, with surfing
wish i'd kept her gaff! doh...

I was in St Ives a couple of days ago. The beaches around here (Porthtowan, Portreath etc) are just a few miles away. I don't drive either so walk or buses. It can take a bit of planning but it is well worth it. The shops here shut around 5 or 6 and on Sunday just a couple open at all. It's like it used to be in London all those years ago and I like that.

So far as locals go, I seem to have fitted in just fine, but I do know what you are going on about regarding being an outsider. I think it helps if you just let them get on with it and slowly they realise you are ok even though you will never be one of them.
Cornwall/Kernow on 15:02 - Jun 2 with 4385 viewsthemodfather

Cornwall/Kernow on 12:59 - Jun 2 by Mode

I was in St Ives a couple of days ago. The beaches around here (Porthtowan, Portreath etc) are just a few miles away. I don't drive either so walk or buses. It can take a bit of planning but it is well worth it. The shops here shut around 5 or 6 and on Sunday just a couple open at all. It's like it used to be in London all those years ago and I like that.

So far as locals go, I seem to have fitted in just fine, but I do know what you are going on about regarding being an outsider. I think it helps if you just let them get on with it and slowly they realise you are ok even though you will never be one of them.

we stayed up the penbeagle estate...top of the big hill, ok going down, no fun with prams going back up!
i used to raid the book shops and such like..cheaper then...
go down with one bag, return with 2!
Cornwall/Kernow on 15:20 - Jun 2 with 4379 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

I'm in Falmouth

Cornwall is fantastic. It does take bloody hours to get anywhere though and hopefully qpr will never again play away to Plymouth argyle.

Don't worry about any outsider/emmet nonsense (unless you're a second home owner)

It's got to be Yarg

Cornwall/Kernow on 20:59 - Jun 2 with 4301 viewsTonto

Cornwall/Kernow on 10:07 - Jun 2 by timcocking

I have/had mates in rosudgeon, Sam Jones, Andre Beecher, Jay Lanagan? I'm overseas but maybe moving back over soon. I'd be delighted to meet any of you if I do. I always go back down there at least for visits.

Any of you know West Cornwall Pasty Co? My family business until we sold it. Good old oggies, they done me proper proud.

My parents are actually in Trebarvah (turn right at the Rosudgeon sign if you re heading to Helston).

My mum does have a bunch of family down there, mostly in Perranuthnoe - but none of those you know (that would be freaky).

And of course everyone knows the WCCP! Except David Cameron who didn't have one at Leeds station (oops bit of politics)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Cornwall/Kernow on 22:12 - Jun 2 with 4276 viewsted_hendrix

Alb,

Hope you're keeping well mate ? seems like ages ago since we met up at the Hawthorns, usual shit result from QPR that day, I hate that bloody place.

Look mate I hope you're business venture works out for you down there, does that mean that now You've left UA that I won't be getting anymore cheap Business class offers to Chicago? do you remember that day when I was within hours of pissing off to Chicago for a long weekend and then we learnt that Ray Jones had been killed and everyone concerned at QPR was devestated, strewth they were bleak day's at the club.

When my old man 'popped his clogs' in the late Eighties he left me and me Brother a house just outside St Day, I wanted to move lock stock and barrel down there and develop the land that the house was on but the Mrs said no, so we sold the house and that was that. St Day was handy for the beaches at Portreath and Porthtowan and also Penhale Sands where I done a lot of my Army training, we were there during the Tory Canyon disaster.

Look mate enough bolox from me other than if you go into the middle of Redruth there is a fish and chip restaurant with a big car park that is superb, (I don't mean that the car park is superb ).

Keep in touch Alb and be lucky.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Cornwall/Kernow on 23:31 - Jun 2 with 4240 viewsWeAreQPR12

Cornwall is an amazing place but I would never of left guildford and I can see u regretting it massively. 4 me, what with inflation, u have decided not 2 come back. V little work is a huge issue and with crazy fuel prices, u have decided not 2 watch rangers live. A v big decision and not 1 I would of made. It's like living up north, once u have gone that's it and there's no coming back. Nice pace of life 4 retired people and after saying all this I really hope it works out 4 u but I do fear 4 u. Keep us up to date and although summers r superb, winters r seriously depressing
Cornwall/Kernow on 23:39 - Jun 2 with 4234 viewshamptonhillhoop

Cornwall/Kernow on 23:31 - Jun 2 by WeAreQPR12

Cornwall is an amazing place but I would never of left guildford and I can see u regretting it massively. 4 me, what with inflation, u have decided not 2 come back. V little work is a huge issue and with crazy fuel prices, u have decided not 2 watch rangers live. A v big decision and not 1 I would of made. It's like living up north, once u have gone that's it and there's no coming back. Nice pace of life 4 retired people and after saying all this I really hope it works out 4 u but I do fear 4 u. Keep us up to date and although summers r superb, winters r seriously depressing

Cheery post
That's what he wants to hear!
Cornwall/Kernow on 23:44 - Jun 2 with 4228 viewsloftboy

Best of luck Alb, different way of living down there, lovely scenery, great range of local beers as well, would love to retire there once the kids have grown up.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Cornwall/Kernow on 23:52 - Jun 2 with 4218 viewsWeAreQPR12

Cornwall/Kernow on 23:39 - Jun 2 by hamptonhillhoop

Cheery post
That's what he wants to hear!

Sorry it was a reality check and I am sure he has gone through these issue but it's a massive decision, and 1 I hope works out although agree with loft
Cornwall/Kernow on 00:00 - Jun 3 with 4216 viewshamptonhillhoop

Cornwall/Kernow on 23:52 - Jun 2 by WeAreQPR12

Sorry it was a reality check and I am sure he has gone through these issue but it's a massive decision, and 1 I hope works out although agree with loft

Well I left London this morning to travel to Devon for a week and it's wet and windy and apparently I have to go to the beach tomorrow anyway because it's what the kids want. Just seen the derby on the telly and the weather looked quite nice. Wild part of the country down here, that's for sure
Cornwall/Kernow on 01:03 - Jun 3 with 4192 viewsBklynRanger

Cornwall/Kernow on 23:31 - Jun 2 by WeAreQPR12

WeAre, I may be wrong, but I don't think you actually know Alb, do you? In which case the number of assumptions in that post is just bonkers.

Good luck with it, Alb. One day I will definitely travel to Cornwall, either for general pleasure or to take part in a windsurfing tournament, in which case I may drown myself since I can't swim. Fair enough, I'll take a life jacket
Cornwall/Kernow on 05:37 - Jun 3 with 4177 viewstimcocking

Cornwall/Kernow on 12:59 - Jun 2 by Mode

My father, who has cancer, was born in St Ives. There is a place called Cocking Court actually named after my family because we lost many of my ancestors in the lifeboats. Brave, brave men going out for free voluntarily in rowing boats at night in the midst of colossal winter storms to try and save others. One particular incident, we lost three generations in one go, grandfather, father, son all perished together. You will see the Cockings named on the lifeboat memorial wall down at the harbour, you'll also see Cockings lost in the war memorial down there.

I gotta place in Falmouth oooooRRRRRRs, although i'm not there at the moment.

Beautiful place to grow up. Zero crime, zero racism, zero fear. We could play in the parks and woods at night without any worries. Left our house unlocked all my life.

Cornwall/Kernow on 15:35 - Jun 3 with 4098 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Cornwall/Kernow on 05:37 - Jun 3 by timcocking

My father, who has cancer, was born in St Ives. There is a place called Cocking Court actually named after my family because we lost many of my ancestors in the lifeboats. Brave, brave men going out for free voluntarily in rowing boats at night in the midst of colossal winter storms to try and save others. One particular incident, we lost three generations in one go, grandfather, father, son all perished together. You will see the Cockings named on the lifeboat memorial wall down at the harbour, you'll also see Cockings lost in the war memorial down there.

I gotta place in Falmouth oooooRRRRRRs, although i'm not there at the moment.

Beautiful place to grow up. Zero crime, zero racism, zero fear. We could play in the parks and woods at night without any worries. Left our house unlocked all my life.

I couldn’t agree more although I can understand what WeAreQPR is talking about.

That is quite a back story Tim and I hope your old man is bearing up.

I moved down to Cornwall aged seven in 1980 and having gone away to uni etc. moved back to Falmouth more recently.

What is your qpr story? With a dad who was much more into rugby than football and no real local teams (sorry Falmouth Town) I nailed blue and white colours to my mast after watching the spurs qpr fa cup final in ’82 and that travesty of a replay. And I didn’t want to support Liverpool like everybody down here at that time. (Pretty obvious Hoddle was going to end up playing for Chelsea)

It's got to be Yarg

Cornwall/Kernow on 15:46 - Jun 3 with 4086 viewsTGRRRSSS

Not really a big fan of the West Country personally it feels so different down there as others have said.
Personally prefer going abroad when I can.
Just my thinking some wonderful coastline of course.
Cornwall/Kernow on 16:37 - Jun 3 with 4065 viewsChinajohn

I lived in Port Isaac (north coast) for three years, it was a bit bleak in the winter and rammed with tourists in the summer. My mother lived in Wadebridge until last November.

Yes, there was a bit of the 'you're not from 'round' here bollocks, but as the advise above - ignore it - you chose to go there. Best put your hand up and give them a high seven!!!

It is a top place, but be prepared for a very slow pace of life that didn't appeal to me at 20. Be patient with the locals, they do everything at their own pace and lastly get tucked into the St Austell ales - HSD is fab! Have fun and enjoy down there!

Cornwall/Kernow on 08:08 - Jun 4 with 3982 viewstimcocking

Cornwall/Kernow on 15:35 - Jun 3 by Cornish_oooRRRR

I couldn’t agree more although I can understand what WeAreQPR is talking about.

That is quite a back story Tim and I hope your old man is bearing up.

I moved down to Cornwall aged seven in 1980 and having gone away to uni etc. moved back to Falmouth more recently.

What is your qpr story? With a dad who was much more into rugby than football and no real local teams (sorry Falmouth Town) I nailed blue and white colours to my mast after watching the spurs qpr fa cup final in ’82 and that travesty of a replay. And I didn’t want to support Liverpool like everybody down here at that time. (Pretty obvious Hoddle was going to end up playing for Chelsea)

As you said, everybody was a liverpool/united/spurs fan etc. My dad and my three brothers all lifelong United, but the first time i saw the blue and white hoops run out on match of the day i was just completely mesmerized by the beauty of QPR and i can't understand why everybody doesn't support what is clearly the greatest team in the world. I was laughed at all my school life for it, never ever met a single QPR fan, but thank God i held firm. We know how lucky we are.

If i move back to Falmouth, 50/50 at present, i'll let you know, maybe meet up and watch a game.

You are perhaps the same age as me, 37. Played Rugby against Falmouth School a few times. Pussies :-)

Ps They are hopeful of curing my Dad, just started the full on treatment a few days ago. He's 73/4, so such is life i suppose.
Cornwall/Kernow on 09:31 - Jun 4 with 3941 viewsLewes_r

Got married near port isaac a few years back.. Am always going to cornwall.. It either suits you or it doesnt. Its a state of mind. Weareqpr12 is talking utter crap btw. How do you know what sort of person alb is?

For me it is one of the best parts of England even though it feels like an island un to its own. Could happily see myself living there myself. Its very different from the SE but why should that be a negative? Bleak and often cloudy and wet, yes, but very beautiful.. Quiet in the winter amazing coast and a very healthy pace of life..As i say if thats your cup of tea then it cant be beat

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024