Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager for Barnsley 10:15 - Feb 25 with 10381 viewsjav14

Never saw this coming.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31621401
New Manager for Barnsley on 17:40 - Feb 26 with 2534 viewsFred_Talbot

New Manager for Barnsley on 17:14 - Feb 26 by Biffo_Boy

Fine thanks, the roof was put on last week and the rest of the cladding has arrived ready for installation. It's on target to be open for the start of next season.

Will your away end be able to fit us in by next season by the way?

Ready for next season? It's taking a bit long isn't it?

Where's Fred?

New Manager for Barnsley on 18:37 - Feb 26 with 2479 viewsBiffo_Boy

New Manager for Barnsley on 17:19 - Feb 26 by tazzydjr

If they were wouldn't Oldham Athletic been moved down the league pyramid to Conference North? Very interesting this info because any other club were to do this like Hereford United/Darlington/Halifax Town/Boston United for example would of been expelled so in a way you lot have cheated has it even been declared with the FL? maybe they still think your trading under the old limited company

No, the rules were changed after our spell in administration including the 10 point deduction which came in the season after.
New Manager for Barnsley on 18:53 - Feb 26 with 2454 viewsnordenblue

New Manager for Barnsley on 17:14 - Feb 26 by Biffo_Boy

Fine thanks, the roof was put on last week and the rest of the cladding has arrived ready for installation. It's on target to be open for the start of next season.

Will your away end be able to fit us in by next season by the way?

It seemed to serve a far far bigger club on tuesday night perfectly well?
I may be wrong but id guess the AWAY stand next season will be exactly the same size as it was this year
New Manager for Barnsley on 19:10 - Feb 26 with 2425 viewsBiffo_Boy

New Manager for Barnsley on 18:53 - Feb 26 by nordenblue

It seemed to serve a far far bigger club on tuesday night perfectly well?
I may be wrong but id guess the AWAY stand next season will be exactly the same size as it was this year

Good job you didn't play them on a Saturday near the end of the season when they're chasing the playoffs isn't it really.
New Manager for Barnsley on 19:17 - Feb 26 with 2412 viewsBiffo_Boy

New Manager for Barnsley on 17:31 - Feb 26 by TalkingSutty

Well said Whitey, Oldham are a club in decline and they are similar to ourselves, they have bloody crap support. I haven't looked at the figures but I bet Latics are in the bottom 4 when it comes to home support in this league. Barnsley are a far bigger club, that's why LJ moved.

"Crap support" "similar to ourselves"? Let's see whether you get anywhere near bringing 3200 (plus those in the home ends) before you can say that. We all know you'll struggle to bring half that amount.
New Manager for Barnsley on 19:34 - Feb 26 with 2376 viewstazzydjr

New Manager for Barnsley on 18:37 - Feb 26 by Biffo_Boy

No, the rules were changed after our spell in administration including the 10 point deduction which came in the season after.

Maybe were both reading different rule books but the 4 quoted sides were expelled for the exact thing you did?

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

New Manager for Barnsley on 19:34 - Feb 26 with 2373 viewsTalkingSutty

New Manager for Barnsley on 19:17 - Feb 26 by Biffo_Boy

"Crap support" "similar to ourselves"? Let's see whether you get anywhere near bringing 3200 (plus those in the home ends) before you can say that. We all know you'll struggle to bring half that amount.

What's your average home attendance ( home supporters) . Bringing 3500 fans to Spotland for YOUR biggest game of the season means rock all, it was funny how it got you all giddy. Your crowds are crap and you know it so face the facts.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2015 19:37]
New Manager for Barnsley on 19:50 - Feb 26 with 2346 viewsWhiteyBFC

New Manager for Barnsley on 17:31 - Feb 26 by TalkingSutty

Well said Whitey, Oldham are a club in decline and they are similar to ourselves, they have bloody crap support. I haven't looked at the figures but I bet Latics are in the bottom 4 when it comes to home support in this league. Barnsley are a far bigger club, that's why LJ moved.

It was an intentionally arrogant and quite abrasive post of mine, hence the fishy at the end. I do stand by it all though. Oldham were in the playoffs and had high flying Swindon at home recently, they managed an attendance of 3,451, with a couple of hundred away fans. Their away support isn't bad I suppose, averaging 783 this season.

I'm not bigging up my own club for gates and away travelling etc. We're hardly big hitters on that front. But we're down to the diehards now, after a horrid decade. Yet we still get 8,500 home fans or more on a regular basis, and we're third behind Sheff Utd and Bristol City for away support, averaging 1117.

It's nearly 15 years ago now, but the last time we were doing well, for our standards, in the top half of the second tier, we were averaging twice the gates we are now. Were we faring much better this season, ala Bradford, PNE, Sheff Utd etc, in the playoff hunt, we'd be getting a few thousand more through the turnstiles. Winning football matches makes a difference in Barnsley. For the last ten years we've averaged 1.18 points per game. It's been dire (an FA Cup semi final and playoff triumph aside, where we took over 30,000 and 25,000 supporters respectively).

But winning matches, being top six, it's had little to no effect on Oldham and their crowds. And this season is their best for some years.

So aye, LJ must have looked at all the above when making his piss easy decision.

I know very little about the bloke, so I've no idea what he'll achieve here. But he'll get my full backing and I am particularly looking forward to a trip over to Boundary Park or whatever it's called these days in a fortnights time where I expect we'll take a fair contingent.

Rochdale might have a smaller fanbase than Oldham, but they've had better times of late, and they've a far healthier bank balance, far better squad of players with resale value, a chairman/board who won't try and push convicted rapists onto the manager and it's quite conceivable that Dale could soon be regarded as the bigger of the two clubs.

But beware the Bury behemoth! Carrington based. Synergetic. SPECIAL.
Login to get fewer ads

New Manager for Barnsley on 19:51 - Feb 26 with 2345 viewsnordenblue

Whats your average home attendance (excluding your cup final trip to Spotland)? You too will find that yes you are a shite supported club.
New Manager for Barnsley on 20:03 - Feb 26 with 2333 viewsTalkingSutty

New Manager for Barnsley on 19:50 - Feb 26 by WhiteyBFC

It was an intentionally arrogant and quite abrasive post of mine, hence the fishy at the end. I do stand by it all though. Oldham were in the playoffs and had high flying Swindon at home recently, they managed an attendance of 3,451, with a couple of hundred away fans. Their away support isn't bad I suppose, averaging 783 this season.

I'm not bigging up my own club for gates and away travelling etc. We're hardly big hitters on that front. But we're down to the diehards now, after a horrid decade. Yet we still get 8,500 home fans or more on a regular basis, and we're third behind Sheff Utd and Bristol City for away support, averaging 1117.

It's nearly 15 years ago now, but the last time we were doing well, for our standards, in the top half of the second tier, we were averaging twice the gates we are now. Were we faring much better this season, ala Bradford, PNE, Sheff Utd etc, in the playoff hunt, we'd be getting a few thousand more through the turnstiles. Winning football matches makes a difference in Barnsley. For the last ten years we've averaged 1.18 points per game. It's been dire (an FA Cup semi final and playoff triumph aside, where we took over 30,000 and 25,000 supporters respectively).

But winning matches, being top six, it's had little to no effect on Oldham and their crowds. And this season is their best for some years.

So aye, LJ must have looked at all the above when making his piss easy decision.

I know very little about the bloke, so I've no idea what he'll achieve here. But he'll get my full backing and I am particularly looking forward to a trip over to Boundary Park or whatever it's called these days in a fortnights time where I expect we'll take a fair contingent.

Rochdale might have a smaller fanbase than Oldham, but they've had better times of late, and they've a far healthier bank balance, far better squad of players with resale value, a chairman/board who won't try and push convicted rapists onto the manager and it's quite conceivable that Dale could soon be regarded as the bigger of the two clubs.

But beware the Bury behemoth! Carrington based. Synergetic. SPECIAL.

Oldham Athletic the club with no manager, no morals and crap support, they don't even have any local rivals
[Post edited 26 Feb 2015 20:05]
New Manager for Barnsley on 20:29 - Feb 26 with 2308 viewsdingdangblue

New Manager for Barnsley on 20:03 - Feb 26 by TalkingSutty

Oldham Athletic the club with no manager, no morals and crap support, they don't even have any local rivals
[Post edited 26 Feb 2015 20:05]

Ashton Utd?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

New Manager for Barnsley on 20:37 - Feb 26 with 2304 viewsBrierls

New Manager for Barnsley on 11:58 - Feb 25 by ColDale

Very odd move. Not really a step up for him. Can't see what he could achieve at Barnsley that he couldn't achieve at Oldham, unless there are behind the scenes things at Boundary Park that haven't come to light yet.

Course it's a step up. The people running the club may have the patience of Naomi Campbell on rag week, but Baaaaaarnsley are a bigger club with a better infrastructure. He'll get a handsome wage, a hero if he takes them to the Championship, a nice payoff if we doesn't!
New Manager for Barnsley on 20:53 - Feb 26 with 2281 viewsBiffo_Boy

New Manager for Barnsley on 19:34 - Feb 26 by tazzydjr

Maybe were both reading different rule books but the 4 quoted sides were expelled for the exact thing you did?

As I said, the rules CHANGED after we did it. Leicester City caused all the controversy IIRC by going bankrupt, clearing all their debt and gaining promotion to the PL the year after. Because if this the FA and FL acted by changing the rules and introducing sanctions one of which was the 10 penalty for going into administration.
New Manager for Barnsley on 20:57 - Feb 26 with 2275 viewsBiffo_Boy

New Manager for Barnsley on 19:51 - Feb 26 by nordenblue

Whats your average home attendance (excluding your cup final trip to Spotland)? You too will find that yes you are a shite supported club.

Where have I said we are not a shite supported club? I have just pointed out we are not as shitely supported as you as your poster claims. And you are in the middle of your most successful period ever.
We didn't get all giddy, it's just a game that's as easy to get to as it is to get to BP so all our home crowd decided to have an nice away day to Rochdale.

You won't do the same.
New Manager for Barnsley on 21:09 - Feb 26 with 2253 viewsnordenblue

New Manager for Barnsley on 20:57 - Feb 26 by Biffo_Boy

Where have I said we are not a shite supported club? I have just pointed out we are not as shitely supported as you as your poster claims. And you are in the middle of your most successful period ever.
We didn't get all giddy, it's just a game that's as easy to get to as it is to get to BP so all our home crowd decided to have an nice away day to Rochdale.

You won't do the same.

No you're spot on i wont do the same, i wont be going to sit in a soulless 3 sided fridge and get fleeced for 20 odd quid for the privilege and be surrounded by neanderthals still delusional that your some sort of big club.Maybe you could strike up a rivalry with say Wigan or someone next season and try and create another "derby" as previously mentioned numerous times we couldn't give a toss about you.
No manager, no morals
New Manager for Barnsley on 21:22 - Feb 26 with 2139 viewsBiffo_Boy

New Manager for Barnsley on 21:09 - Feb 26 by nordenblue

No you're spot on i wont do the same, i wont be going to sit in a soulless 3 sided fridge and get fleeced for 20 odd quid for the privilege and be surrounded by neanderthals still delusional that your some sort of big club.Maybe you could strike up a rivalry with say Wigan or someone next season and try and create another "derby" as previously mentioned numerous times we couldn't give a toss about you.
No manager, no morals

Well at least your proved my argument about your shite support, you can even be arsed to travel 6 miles to see your team.
New Manager for Barnsley on 21:33 - Feb 26 with 2126 viewsTalkingSutty

New Manager for Barnsley on 21:22 - Feb 26 by Biffo_Boy

Well at least your proved my argument about your shite support, you can even be arsed to travel 6 miles to see your team.

It wasn't that long ago Oldham competed in the Premiership, can you explain the reason why your average home support is probably only about 1000 more than ours?

Don't use your three sided ground as a excuse because your crowds where crap prior to the old stand disintegrating. Don't forget this is your most successful season for quite a while
[Post edited 26 Feb 2015 21:34]
New Manager for Barnsley on 21:33 - Feb 26 with 2125 viewsTVOS1907

Yes, we know.

If we win, will we get three points like you did at Spotland or is there some sort of formula whereby the number of points per win is proportional to the number of visiting fans attending?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

New Manager for Barnsley on 21:36 - Feb 26 with 2118 viewsnordenblue

Do they have an education system in Oldham? Re read your own post "you can even be arsed to travel"??!"at least your proved"
You really are a class apart you jokers.
No manager, no morals
New Manager for Barnsley on 21:37 - Feb 26 with 2117 viewsSuddenLad

Many of us travel the length and breadth of the country following our team. As a percentage of our support, I'll venture to suggest that it's greater than your equivalent following.

Personally, I'd rather travel to Colchester on foot than put my money into your rancid club.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

New Manager for Barnsley on 21:42 - Feb 26 with 2106 viewsColDale

New Manager for Barnsley on 16:09 - Feb 26 by WhiteyBFC

Give over.

Have a look at our stadium and Oldham's. Compare our state of the art academy and training complex with theirs. Look at our home gates and then look at theirs. Our wage/transfer budgets. Compare our squad of players with Oldham's. Have a look at what we've achieved in just the last 10 years, a nightmare 10 years, and then see what Oldham have done in that time.

Of course we're a step up from bloody Oldham.

It's why Johnson has made that step. Whether he succeeds I dunno. Our owner/board aren't exactly patient. But it's why Keith Hill took the job when he did. You look at all that I referred to above, and if you're a confident manager you'd fancy taking it on. Much harder to achieve in the second tier, as Keith's tenure proved. But in League One? Jesus. We're having one of the worst seasons in living memory, yet we're still just 4 points off the playoffs with Sam Winnall set to return at the weekend. I'm guessing LJ is as ambitious and confident as Keith was. I just hope his early interviews are a fair reflection of him, because unlike Keith, he seems level headed and less likely to offend folk every time he opens his gob.

No offence to em, but bloody Oldham? Can achieve what we can? I know their gates are double Rochdale's, but christ, we could fit all of them and all of you inside our latest home gate of 8,500 versus bloody Crewe.

Tinpot clubs all over the shop.

We're Barnsley, we're fcuking huge in this division and our stay in it will be short, a bit like LJ.

both teams who are capable of mounting a promotion bid from this division but will always be up against it in the Championship.

Thing I don't get is after your Chief Exec outlined what sort of manager they wanted to appoint (and in doing so identified every attribute that Hilly has), does Johnson really fit that criteria? He's done alright at Oldham, and has them playing decent football, but if they're at a level on a par with little old us, surely he should be doing, and unless our learned Biffo friends can contradict me, he's not one for bringing players through the ranks and selling them on? (maybe his spell in charge hasn't been long enough for that).
New Manager for Barnsley on 21:49 - Feb 26 with 2097 viewsTVOS1907

New Manager for Barnsley on 20:57 - Feb 26 by Biffo_Boy

You won't do the same.

And?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

New Manager for Barnsley on 22:54 - Feb 26 with 2030 viewsWhiteyBFC

New Manager for Barnsley on 21:42 - Feb 26 by ColDale

both teams who are capable of mounting a promotion bid from this division but will always be up against it in the Championship.

Thing I don't get is after your Chief Exec outlined what sort of manager they wanted to appoint (and in doing so identified every attribute that Hilly has), does Johnson really fit that criteria? He's done alright at Oldham, and has them playing decent football, but if they're at a level on a par with little old us, surely he should be doing, and unless our learned Biffo friends can contradict me, he's not one for bringing players through the ranks and selling them on? (maybe his spell in charge hasn't been long enough for that).

Any club can mount a promotion challenge in this division, as Yeovil proved most recently. Brentford and Bournemouth are two more who I see as League One clubs at best, but have gained promotion albeit with much help financially. So aye, anyone can do it. It's a different story altogether though in the Championship, where finances really do dictate the standings, and so if you're not getting big gates and haven't a wealthy backer, you're Barnsley, Huddersfield or Millwall and perennially battling for your lives/status. Now and again, a good manager will cobble together something special and overcome the odds with lots of luck thrown in too - see Blackpool, Burnley, Hull and ourselves all those years ago.

I hear your comparison reasons, but I can't accept that LJ leaving Oldham for us isn't a step up. It's more than a step, it's a big fcuking jump. It was even greater a jump when Keith arrived in 2011. However, he came into a club cutting budgets, he rubbed a portion of our supporters up the wrong way early doors (who were tossers with him before that, in all fairness, booing his new team after 30 minutes of his second league game in charge). He was at loggerheads with the then CEO. He fell out with a club legend, he was far too stubborn for his own good and after giving us the teasing first four months where he looked like THE man, he turned out to be just another victim of the trigger happy owner with Keith himself providing all of the bullets. But we've been through all that before...

LJ arrives a level lower down where we're a big hitter. Our gates, budgets, stadium, facilities are all top notch in this division. At this level, with SCMP in place, attendances really do matter. He seems a very confident and well spoken bloke, but nice too. I can't see him taking on the fans. I see him being quite annoying the other way, where he'll use twitter to ask us to be the twelfth man and all that fcuking bollox. But whilst I don't/won't buy into that nonsense, I know lots of supporters do and will. I think Danny Wilson was too similar to Hill to be fair. He's a stubborn beggar. He's aged, obviously, and the vibrant, enthusiastic Danny of old had long gone. He was more relaxed this time around. And I think that's why he's been axed. Not so much because he was failing (I see little evidence of that) but because the board wanted a young, vibrant, forward thinking manager to take us on. We probably had that with Keith, and Flicker, but for differing reasons they weren't a good fit, long term for Barnsley FC. Will LJ prove to be THE man? I fcuking hope so, because I've not seen us win regularly playing good football since 2006.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2015 22:56]
New Manager for Barnsley on 23:24 - Feb 26 with 2013 viewsD_Alien

New Manager for Barnsley on 22:54 - Feb 26 by WhiteyBFC

Any club can mount a promotion challenge in this division, as Yeovil proved most recently. Brentford and Bournemouth are two more who I see as League One clubs at best, but have gained promotion albeit with much help financially. So aye, anyone can do it. It's a different story altogether though in the Championship, where finances really do dictate the standings, and so if you're not getting big gates and haven't a wealthy backer, you're Barnsley, Huddersfield or Millwall and perennially battling for your lives/status. Now and again, a good manager will cobble together something special and overcome the odds with lots of luck thrown in too - see Blackpool, Burnley, Hull and ourselves all those years ago.

I hear your comparison reasons, but I can't accept that LJ leaving Oldham for us isn't a step up. It's more than a step, it's a big fcuking jump. It was even greater a jump when Keith arrived in 2011. However, he came into a club cutting budgets, he rubbed a portion of our supporters up the wrong way early doors (who were tossers with him before that, in all fairness, booing his new team after 30 minutes of his second league game in charge). He was at loggerheads with the then CEO. He fell out with a club legend, he was far too stubborn for his own good and after giving us the teasing first four months where he looked like THE man, he turned out to be just another victim of the trigger happy owner with Keith himself providing all of the bullets. But we've been through all that before...

LJ arrives a level lower down where we're a big hitter. Our gates, budgets, stadium, facilities are all top notch in this division. At this level, with SCMP in place, attendances really do matter. He seems a very confident and well spoken bloke, but nice too. I can't see him taking on the fans. I see him being quite annoying the other way, where he'll use twitter to ask us to be the twelfth man and all that fcuking bollox. But whilst I don't/won't buy into that nonsense, I know lots of supporters do and will. I think Danny Wilson was too similar to Hill to be fair. He's a stubborn beggar. He's aged, obviously, and the vibrant, enthusiastic Danny of old had long gone. He was more relaxed this time around. And I think that's why he's been axed. Not so much because he was failing (I see little evidence of that) but because the board wanted a young, vibrant, forward thinking manager to take us on. We probably had that with Keith, and Flicker, but for differing reasons they weren't a good fit, long term for Barnsley FC. Will LJ prove to be THE man? I fcuking hope so, because I've not seen us win regularly playing good football since 2006.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2015 22:56]

I f*cking hope so too. I'd hate to have another thread like this to read for at least the next three years.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

New Manager for Barnsley on 14:01 - Feb 27 with 1865 viewsWhiteyBFC

New Manager for Barnsley on 23:24 - Feb 26 by D_Alien

I f*cking hope so too. I'd hate to have another thread like this to read for at least the next three years.

You're a big lad aren't you? I'm sure you don't have to read any thread. I mean, the title of the thread usually gives me an idea of the likely content and thus helps me decide whether to read it.

I agree though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024