Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watering the pitch? 18:48 - Oct 21 with 1608 viewsfrancisbowles

I know that it's a common view in the game that a 'zippy' pitch is desirable.

However, last night several players were slipping towards the end of the first half as the evening damp descended, yet the sprinklers still came on for a soaking at half time?

It seems that this watering is now being taken to excess.
Watering the pitch? on 19:10 - Oct 21 with 1578 viewsWatford_Ranger

Our sexy football demands it
Watering the pitch? on 19:34 - Oct 21 with 1541 viewsbatmanhoop

while watching Mondays game Stoke v. Swansea I commented to my brother about players slipping and excess use of sprinklers
Watering the pitch? on 20:03 - Oct 21 with 1513 viewssexton

Can somebody explain sprinkler technology for me?

Where is the control room for a start? Don't tell me somebody just turns a tap on?

And how come nobody trips over one of the sprinklers and injures themselves? Or does a piece of turf cover each sprinkler and retract, Thunderbird 2-like?
Watering the pitch? on 03:16 - Oct 22 with 1384 viewsgeorgiosfs

Watering the pitch? on 20:03 - Oct 21 by sexton

Can somebody explain sprinkler technology for me?

Where is the control room for a start? Don't tell me somebody just turns a tap on?

And how come nobody trips over one of the sprinklers and injures themselves? Or does a piece of turf cover each sprinkler and retract, Thunderbird 2-like?

A friend is a green keeper here in Sydney and he says there are a few reason as to why they water the pitch the most common reasons are

1/ Traction for players (so the studs actually stick) so they have better reaction time, it also allows the grass to regenerate and stay alive as the players are aerating the turf too

2/ Passes are more crisp. (not that it helps us)

The sprinklers have a patch of AstroTurf attached to the top of them so when it pops back down the players don't injure themselves in the ditch.
Watering the pitch? on 14:24 - Oct 22 with 1229 viewsAddinall

Watering is to excess and players are slipping because of it.I seem to remember Ferguson started this trend of the ball zipping about.

Close cropped turf enables slick ground passes without the grass being wet.As for taking a stud,water needs to be applied much earlier to soften the underlying soil condition.

It has become the thing to do and I look forward to the day it goes out of fashion.

A good pitch has a dry surface and a yielding growing medium to take a stud.
Watering the pitch? on 14:58 - Oct 22 with 1212 viewshoof_hearted

This clearly a euphemism. Any pictures, Woking?
Watering the pitch? on 15:54 - Oct 22 with 1174 viewsjonno

Watering the pitch? on 14:24 - Oct 22 by Addinall

Watering is to excess and players are slipping because of it.I seem to remember Ferguson started this trend of the ball zipping about.

Close cropped turf enables slick ground passes without the grass being wet.As for taking a stud,water needs to be applied much earlier to soften the underlying soil condition.

It has become the thing to do and I look forward to the day it goes out of fashion.

A good pitch has a dry surface and a yielding growing medium to take a stud.

Exactly. One game last season I got in the ground early, it had been pissing down all week and there was standing water in areas of the pitch. Sprinklers still came on and the ball was sticking in puddles at various times during the first half. Ludicrous.
Watering the pitch? on 15:58 - Oct 22 with 1165 viewsFredManRave

We should pitchfork the pitch waterer.

Or at the very least sack him.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024