Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Currently over in New York 02:16 - Dec 20 with 10092 viewsmarchamjack

And fair to say, if our owners were hoping that Bradley would ignite some Stateside interest, then I've seen zero evidence of it so far.

Watched NBC Sports and ESPN PL highlights programmes and aside from showing the goals in our game, no mention of Bob. Bit like watching MOTD really, we were on last I think and no special mention of our Bob.

The US still totally obsessed by American football in particular. We and Bob seem the non-entities we no doubt are to 99% of the sport watching population.

Did read a piece in USA Today (I think it was) which blamed Bob's poor showing on the fact we don't like him cos he's American and speaks like an American...glossed over fact he's been sht funnily enough.

Anyway, still waiting for someone to ask me over here what I think of Bob? Will make sure not to mention he's sht cos he's American...

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Currently over in New York on 18:46 - Dec 20 with 1157 viewsblueytheblue

Currently over in New York on 18:42 - Dec 20 by PURe_Evil

Its just another "franchise" to them, f*cking clueless.

To the majority shareholders, it's a franchise.

To most American "fans" ( excepting Tummer and others ), there's no love for Swansea, rather avidly following Bradley.

We had that years ago when we loaned Inamoto from WBA. There was a flood of Japanese press and people at the games. As soon as he left we never saw them again.

Must be a cultural thing I guess.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Currently over in New York on 18:49 - Dec 20 with 1143 viewsDafyddHuw

Currently over in New York on 18:37 - Dec 20 by blueytheblue

Nah, not the same exact deal.

This is for dedicated loyal Swansea fans with the odd exception like myself. They love Swansea.

That other forum is full of people rooting for Bobby Bob. Bobby Bob could be at any Prem club. Swansea just happens to be the one with American owners who employ him as manager. As soon as he's fired, nobody at that forum will mention Swansea.

Massive difference. That's the problem American posters over there fail to grasp. Namely that it's incredibly patronising that a bunch of people who couldn't give a single s*it about Swansea are butthurt about Bob's ability to do the job being questioned. How dare fans of a club give a s*it about how it's being mismanaged - they should be grateful to have a lower league manager foisted upon them by "investors" who haven't put a single penny into the club, who s*it all over the Trust.

Great post butt
Currently over in New York on 18:56 - Dec 20 with 1132 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Currently over in New York on 18:46 - Dec 20 by blueytheblue

To most American "fans" ( excepting Tummer and others ), there's no love for Swansea, rather avidly following Bradley.

We had that years ago when we loaned Inamoto from WBA. There was a flood of Japanese press and people at the games. As soon as he left we never saw them again.

Thank you for making me the exception; and yes, I can't argue with that.

I was admittedly happy when BB was hired because I've long been wanting to see the brand grow over here. But in my exuberance maybe I didn't have the foresight to realize that it might also bring an element to the bandwagon that could make Americans look not so good.

We're going to get some "real" supporters out of this because SCFC is an easy thing to fall in love with if you give it a chance. But the majority will jump off the second BB is sacked.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Currently over in New York on 18:56 - Dec 20 with 1132 viewsblueytheblue

Currently over in New York on 18:49 - Dec 20 by DafyddHuw

Great post butt

Thank you for the compliment.

*coughisntthereaposteroftheyearthingsooncough*

Currently over in New York on 18:57 - Dec 20 with 1131 viewscimlajack

This is for dedicated loyal Swansea fans with the odd exception like myself. They love Swansea.

That other forum is full of people rooting for Bobby Bob. Bobby Bob could be at any Prem club. Swansea just happens to be the one with American owners who employ him as manager. As soon as he's fired, nobody at that forum will mention Swansea.

Massive difference. That's the problem American posters over there fail to grasp. Namely that it's incredibly patronising that a bunch of people who couldn't give a single s*it about Swansea are butthurt about Bob's ability to do the job being questioned. How dare fans of a club give a s*it about how it's being mismanaged - they should be grateful to have a lower league manager foisted upon them by "investors" who haven't put a single penny into the club, who s*it all over the Trust.

This
Currently over in New York on 18:58 - Dec 20 with 1129 viewsBanosswan

Currently over in New York on 18:46 - Dec 20 by blueytheblue

We've had the same with Ki.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Currently over in New York on 19:02 - Dec 20 with 1117 viewsDafyddHuw

Currently over in New York on 18:56 - Dec 20 by blueytheblue

Thank you for the compliment.

*coughisntthereaposteroftheyearthingsooncough*

If you're into tthat shit, then I take my compliment back.
Currently over in New York on 19:10 - Dec 20 with 1102 viewsLeonWasGod

I'm not sure why they thought Swansea could be the American breakthrough in the PL. Lerner tried with Villa, I've not seen any publicity with them in relation to 'project USA'. He had more money (backed O'Neil to the hilt and had a HUGE wage bill) but ultimately lost interest, could make the American link work, didn't connect with the club, consigned them to relegation and then f*cked off.

These foreign owners rately understand how deep the sport is rooted in the community. They ignore it at their peril. We don't want to hear about what these guys are doing for Swansea in America. We want to hear what they're doing for us, the real fanbase.
Login to get fewer ads

Currently over in New York on 19:12 - Dec 20 with 1093 viewsblueytheblue

Currently over in New York on 19:02 - Dec 20 by DafyddHuw

If you're into tthat shit, then I take my compliment back.

Bad cough. Tend to get them this time of year.

Currently over in New York on 19:15 - Dec 20 with 1082 viewsBanosswan

Currently over in New York on 19:10 - Dec 20 by LeonWasGod

I'm not sure why they thought Swansea could be the American breakthrough in the PL. Lerner tried with Villa, I've not seen any publicity with them in relation to 'project USA'. He had more money (backed O'Neil to the hilt and had a HUGE wage bill) but ultimately lost interest, could make the American link work, didn't connect with the club, consigned them to relegation and then f*cked off.

These foreign owners rately understand how deep the sport is rooted in the community. They ignore it at their peril. We don't want to hear about what these guys are doing for Swansea in America. We want to hear what they're doing for us, the real fanbase.

If arguably the most marketable club in the world (utd) hasn't cracked America with American owners, what hope do we have.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Currently over in New York on 19:24 - Dec 20 with 1065 viewsmax936

Currently over in New York on 19:15 - Dec 20 by Banosswan

If arguably the most marketable club in the world (utd) hasn't cracked America with American owners, what hope do we have.

Spot on and the Glazers could buy and sell Levien and Kaplan in a blink of an eye.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2016 19:32]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Currently over in New York on 19:27 - Dec 20 with 1050 viewsDarran

Currently over in New York on 19:24 - Dec 20 by max936

Spot on and the Glazers could buy and sell Levien and Kaplan in a blink of an eye.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2016 19:32]

They're good in the window though.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Currently over in New York on 19:30 - Dec 20 with 1034 viewsjack247

Currently over in New York on 18:29 - Dec 20 by swanmageddon

It's funny you say that, because that's exactly what people at Bigsoccer would say about this forum.

Both forums are the same exact deal. Just one is for Swansea, and the other one is for everything having to do with the game in America. Both want their cause to succeed. Except in the US most are country over club.

This is nothing like Bigsoccer.

SCFC is our club. It is interwoven into the fabric of the city. It's not a franchise, or an investment, or an opportunity. It's not entertainment as much as it's part of our culture and community. We view sport, certainly football, in a slightly different way to you guys.

Re. this whole bias against Americans thing, most who have come over here simply haven't been very good. They come in at a massive disadvantage to players who have learned the game at UK or European clubs, because they just aren't used to the level of competition and haven't had the same standard of coaching while they were developing. Those that do well, like Howard, Friedel, Dempsey, Donovan to an extent, do really well and speak very highly of their experiences here. It would be the same for Bob if he was good enough.
Currently over in New York on 19:31 - Dec 20 with 1032 viewsmax936

Currently over in New York on 19:27 - Dec 20 by Darran

They're good in the window though.

FUKOFF, Bastard predict text innit, clever tw@t.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Currently over in New York on 19:49 - Dec 20 with 1013 viewsLeonWasGod

Currently over in New York on 19:15 - Dec 20 by Banosswan

Ha, yeah, forgot about them. Agree entirely.
Currently over in New York on 20:03 - Dec 20 with 994 viewsblueytheblue

Currently over in New York on 19:30 - Dec 20 by jack247

This is nothing like Bigsoccer.

SCFC is our club. It is interwoven into the fabric of the city. It's not a franchise, or an investment, or an opportunity. It's not entertainment as much as it's part of our culture and community. We view sport, certainly football, in a slightly different way to you guys.

Re. this whole bias against Americans thing, most who have come over here simply haven't been very good. They come in at a massive disadvantage to players who have learned the game at UK or European clubs, because they just aren't used to the level of competition and haven't had the same standard of coaching while they were developing. Those that do well, like Howard, Friedel, Dempsey, Donovan to an extent, do really well and speak very highly of their experiences here. It would be the same for Bob if he was good enough.

Haven't been very good or more accurately, have been excellent at MLS level but not up to the British game.

Example; Eddie Johnson. Good scoring record in MLS, didn't score for Fulham. Was utter gash for us, tried hard but wasn't good enough. Went back to MLS and again had a decent scoring record.

Trivia note; Johnson scored the last ever goal under floodlights at Ninian Park. Admittedly it was an own goal...

Currently over in New York on 20:08 - Dec 20 with 978 viewsPURe_Evil

Currently over in New York on 20:03 - Dec 20 by blueytheblue

Haven't been very good or more accurately, have been excellent at MLS level but not up to the British game.

Example; Eddie Johnson. Good scoring record in MLS, didn't score for Fulham. Was utter gash for us, tried hard but wasn't good enough. Went back to MLS and again had a decent scoring record.

Trivia note; Johnson scored the last ever goal under floodlights at Ninian Park. Admittedly it was an own goal...

Bradley Wright-Phillips
Currently over in New York on 20:17 - Dec 20 with 964 viewsnyc_swans

Currently over in New York on 15:39 - Dec 20 by DafyddHuw

Just been on the above site - signed up and posted.

I never realised how messed up the American psyche is when it comes to football - absolutely massive inferiority complex. Apparently it's all our fault - xenophobia, we laugh at his Americanisms(?), he won;t be given a chance. Anything, in other words, apart from the fact that he's not good enough.

you're absolutely right in the first part of your post.

i say that with total 100% sincerity. it's embarrassing. supporting football here isn't so much a passion as it is a contest to determine who is the most authentic. i know that exists in UK football culture too, but it's not the same thing. you were born into it. you didn't just throw a dart at a map and pick a team, or decide because you spent a nice weekend once in london that you were a lifelong arsenal fan.

inferiority complex, you couldn't be more right.
Currently over in New York on 20:31 - Dec 20 with 933 viewsnyc_swans

i'll add that i chose to support swansea because i was reading about this maverick welsh club that passed the ball like barcelona. then i started watching at the start of the rodgers era. brilliant stuff.

really don't care that i jumped on the bandwagon late. really don't care how or why others support the team. just like to watch the footy.

OP, if you need any recommendations about what to do in NYC, please don't hesitate.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2016 20:31]
Currently over in New York on 20:54 - Dec 20 with 901 viewsstAteSwan

Currently over in New York on 16:03 - Dec 20 by pencoedjack

Id imagine the majority (if not all) will lose interest when we have games against Burton Barnsley & Rotherham

No offence fella but I really couldn't give a fuk about how many fans we have in the US.

Same as Danes wIth Laudrup /Koreans with KI / etc etc

Please keep in mind that not all of your American fans chose to follow the club because of Bob Bradley. I've been following for 7 seasons now.

You are right though that support in the US will inevitably go down with relegation, simply because US Media does not cover the English Championship. Matches are not televised, so for most Americans the only way to watch a match is to use one of those streaming sites which is more likely to load up your computer with adware than it is to provide quality video.

None of that has anything to do with Bob Bradley, who is completely out of his depth, but doesn't have the talent within the club to right off the drop anyway.
Currently over in New York on 21:15 - Dec 20 with 860 viewsstAteSwan

Not to defend those people, because I disagree with about everything they say, but in the American consciousness, someone who buys a club/franchise is expected to stock that organization up with their friends, because those clubs are not for the fans here because inevitably every winning American Sports Franchise is going to gain new legions of supporters who will immediately jump ship the minute they start losing.

The idea that a club can be attached to a city to the point that the city identifies with the club is a completely foreign concept to most Americans. I live within a couple hours of St. Louis, and when support for the local NFL team dropped after a few losing seasons, rather than work hard to win the fans back, the owner simply packed the team up and moved it to Los Angeles. Team still isn't winning, but he's making more money now.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2016 21:19]
Currently over in New York on 21:31 - Dec 20 with 846 viewspencoedjack

Currently over in New York on 20:54 - Dec 20 by stAteSwan

Please keep in mind that not all of your American fans chose to follow the club because of Bob Bradley. I've been following for 7 seasons now.

You are right though that support in the US will inevitably go down with relegation, simply because US Media does not cover the English Championship. Matches are not televised, so for most Americans the only way to watch a match is to use one of those streaming sites which is more likely to load up your computer with adware than it is to provide quality video.

None of that has anything to do with Bob Bradley, who is completely out of his depth, but doesn't have the talent within the club to right off the drop anyway.

Our Italian manager would of kept us up with this squad. TBH I can't imagine any swans fan giving a toss what nationality the gaffer is as long as he does a good job

As for the majority of yanks supporting our club I am pretty sure they will move on as soon as the American boss and owners leave whether we stay up or not, as I said earlier Danes / Koreans have come and gone.
Currently over in New York on 21:54 - Dec 20 with 820 viewsnyc_swans

what happened to that danish man, i think his name was Dan? he was super friendly, occasionally funny, and i always thought he would stick around even after Laudrup left.

was one of my favorite posters on here. anybody remember him?
Currently over in New York on 22:15 - Dec 20 with 796 viewseljinca

Currently over in New York on 20:31 - Dec 20 by nyc_swans

i'll add that i chose to support swansea because i was reading about this maverick welsh club that passed the ball like barcelona. then i started watching at the start of the rodgers era. brilliant stuff.

really don't care that i jumped on the bandwagon late. really don't care how or why others support the team. just like to watch the footy.

OP, if you need any recommendations about what to do in NYC, please don't hesitate.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2016 20:31]

As a Swans fan in America I agree with this post. I picked the Swans because I loved the style of play, attitude and spirit of the players and club after promotion and have supported them ever since. That said, American fandom of any European club is different and I wouldn't presume to understand what the club means to the community, because I can't. I can, however, support the club as best I can from abroad.

As others have said on here, American football fandom is mostly country over club. Having watched the USMNT for 25+ years, I was appalled when Bradley was hired. His style of management is a direct anathema to the Swansea Way: pragmatic, out-hustled, out endurance other teams. The style worked for the USMNT, since there isn't the talent to play any other way. For this club, however, an absolute shambles. He was sacked when the US Soccer Federation wanted to take the next step and play a more attractive brand of football (that also didn't work out very well).

The signing of Bradley has promoted the club to the US market - all the games are now on TV, never before - but that means nothing if it changes the club from what made me love it to begin with.

The new ownership has been a disaster top to bottom. They should be ashamed of the state of the club right now and every misstep is directly on them. Almost all are "unforced errors" from ownership. There are clear holes on the roster (fullbacks have been weak for 2+ years) that are never addressed. If the roster isn't substantially strengthened in January to push towards safety, I hope all fans publicly voice their displeasure in every way possible.

Our club is good enough to stay up but with this ownership and manager, I'm looking for ways to watch Championship games in the US.
Currently over in New York on 22:31 - Dec 20 with 775 viewsDavillin

Currently over in New York on 20:54 - Dec 20 by stAteSwan

Comment to your second paragraph only, as I agree with the rest.

A long time ago, we had a longish thread on here about British football "catching on in the States," and I gave a longish essay on why it never will. I am solidly still in agreement with that.

Bob Bradley [who has watched Jack to a King] will not make a dot of difference -- except possibly to make things worse for British football becoming popular in the States.

For a couple of years, NBC has been broadcasting all of the Premier League games live on TV -- every game except one or two streamed on the 'net. I get them on DirecTV.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024