Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby forum discussing Clement 00:59 - Jan 6 with 10729 viewsStarsky

see link...
https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/24770-paul-clement/

It's just the internet, init.

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:08 - Jan 6 with 2513 viewsLeonWasGod

Derby forum discussing Clement on 08:26 - Jan 6 by FieryJack

Very interesting read.

Looks like Clement is into highly structured, possession-based game, with players under strict instructions not to make any passes unless they're 99% sure they'll reach their target. Bit like Rodgers style, where we tried to walk it into the net. Note how Clement said in his press conference that he would ensure that every player knew exactly (he really emphasised that word) what his role would be. Don't think free-flowing football is on the way, lads.

Still, I think he'll steady the ship, and I'm quietly confident we won't be plummeting down the leagues under Clement, even if we do slip into the Championship.

Various Derby fans have described it as a dull, tedious, mediocre spectacle, where we may have 75% possession and end up scraping a 1-0 win (or lose by the same margin). At least our goal difference will improve, anyway.

Hmm...not sure about this one. Obviously there are pros and cons to this style of play - the biggest con being that players are too terrified to express themselves, to take a chance when it arises. Will be pretty frustrating if we're on the edge of the box & our player, in a good attacking position, is too frightened to go for goal, and instead elects for a safe backwards pass. Can hear the groans around the Liberty already.

Side note: why the hell can't we have a forum as sensible & adult & literate as that Derby one? It puts us to shame (me excepted, of course). It makes us look like a bunch of squabbling adolescents!

I'm not sure we've got the players to play free-flowing football, so it may not be such a bad thing. We certainly need to be harder to break down. And we certainly need players to understand what's expected of them and to be on the same wavelength - I didn't see that under Bob.

Sousa style with the added quality may not be as bad as Sousa's rein itself when we had poorer attacking and creative options.

It's going to be an interesting second half of the season.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2017 12:30]
Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:11 - Jan 6 with 2510 viewsDr_Winston

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:35 - Jan 6 by JackBaston

For years I've believed that Sousa was the reason Brendan was so successful in getting us promoted
Sousa laid the ground work of a solid defence, all Brendan did was bring in Sinclair and it was perfect
Took him ages to see Dobbie wasnt a striker and needed to be played in the hole

Though I do seem to recall a Coventry home game on a tuesday night, think it was December or January, where neither team had a shot on target
Froze my jewels off that night

You're not wrong.

Was a step up in entertainment from Sousa (although let's not forget Sousa inherited a side shorn of both its top scorer and top creator) but early Rodgers wasn't always a thrill a minute.

Bang on in your observation of Dobbie too. We stepped up a gear as an attacking unit with him tucked in behind the forwards.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:24 - Jan 6 with 2472 viewsStarsky

Only on planet Swans ....
A topic title "discussing Paul Clement" that becomes a thread discussing Sousa.

[Post edited 6 Jan 2017 12:25]

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:29 - Jan 6 with 2447 viewsPrivate_Partz

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:11 - Jan 6 by Dr_Winston

You're not wrong.

Was a step up in entertainment from Sousa (although let's not forget Sousa inherited a side shorn of both its top scorer and top creator) but early Rodgers wasn't always a thrill a minute.

Bang on in your observation of Dobbie too. We stepped up a gear as an attacking unit with him tucked in behind the forwards.

Sousa's team were playing brilliant attacking football in Serie A. Not sure how he is doing now but he is obviously a good manager that plays to his teams strength. Martinez Gave us a massive kick in the nurs not least because he left us very late in the close season as well as taking the kitchen cat with him.
I remember the Scunthorpe game when the ref was doing a job on us and he kept calm, rearranging the team as one by one our players got sent off. He only had youngsters to work with in reserve as well.
I remember West Brom away when we played them off the park.
A very good manager IMHO and his only mistake was not using Trundle more when he came back as I think he would have got us to the play offs.
I sympathise with Sousa's decision however as this was part of the Jenkins' interference and I suspect his opinion of LT10 was clouded by the fact that Akinfenwa was potentially going to be lumped in with him.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:33 - Jan 6 with 2431 viewsLeonWasGod

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:29 - Jan 6 by Private_Partz

Sousa's team were playing brilliant attacking football in Serie A. Not sure how he is doing now but he is obviously a good manager that plays to his teams strength. Martinez Gave us a massive kick in the nurs not least because he left us very late in the close season as well as taking the kitchen cat with him.
I remember the Scunthorpe game when the ref was doing a job on us and he kept calm, rearranging the team as one by one our players got sent off. He only had youngsters to work with in reserve as well.
A very good manager IMHO and his only mistake was not using Trundle more when he came back as I think he would have got us to the play offs.
I sympathise with Sousa's decision however as this was part of the Jenkins' interference and I suspect his opinion of LT10 was clouded by the fact that Akinfenwa was potentially going to be lumped in with him.

We had bugger all up front when Sousa took over - no presence at all. Kuqi made a difference when he came in, although I only mention that as it gives me a chance to post this again

None repeats of this hopefully under PC (just to bring it back on topic)
Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:37 - Jan 6 with 2412 viewsPrivate_Partz

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:33 - Jan 6 by LeonWasGod

We had bugger all up front when Sousa took over - no presence at all. Kuqi made a difference when he came in, although I only mention that as it gives me a chance to post this again

Ah jeez. Look at all the heads in hands behind the goal. Unbelievable miss lol.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:58 - Jan 6 with 2348 viewsJackFish

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:33 - Jan 6 by LeonWasGod

It was a ridiculous miss, but if I remember correctly he made up for it a little later by scoring a diving header
Derby forum discussing Clement on 13:32 - Jan 6 with 2284 viewsGowerjack

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:43 - Jan 6 by swancity

Definitely did well to finish in 7th position. Especially after the disruption during the summer.

But with a little bit more attacking intent a play off place was achievable. For example he used Trundle mainly as a sub all season and often asked him to play in a deep position. And under using him when he still managed the best minutes on the pitch to goals ratio that season ( in the entire division ).

Could do a job for us even now..

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Login to get fewer ads

Derby forum discussing Clement on 13:41 - Jan 6 with 2257 viewsvetchonian

Derby forum discussing Clement on 13:32 - Jan 6 by Gowerjack

Could do a job for us even now..

Whilst he is a talented player and did great for us he never made it Cahmpioship level,and if he had the potential why did no PL club ever come in for him at £2M he could have been a steal.
Trundle put himself in the shop window with all the videos he sent to Soccer AM I expect several clubs had him watched but funny how the only offer came form Bristol where he failed to make an impact. Yes making the headlines at Llanelli but there is along way from the Premier LoW to the Premier League!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Derby forum discussing Clement on 13:48 - Jan 6 with 2235 viewsUxbridge

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:29 - Jan 6 by Private_Partz

Given what he had at his disposal for a large part of that season, Sousa's 7th place was a near miracle.

If Clement can get us back to that sort of game then, with the attacking players at our disposal, we'll be more than alright.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Derby forum discussing Clement on 13:49 - Jan 6 with 2225 viewsperchrockjack

This season has been pretty tedious ,boring too as we ve basically made exactly the same errors.

Just keep us up PC then get us pretty next season

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:00 - Jan 6 with 2095 viewsBytholWyn

Anothing thing about Sousa's season in charge - we were seriously hard done by when it came to refereeing decisions. I don't mean bog standard hard done by, but off the scale ludiicrous decisions week after week going against us. Given that we ended the season just a point off the play-offs there's no question that we should have had a shot at the Premier League at that point.

One game in particular sticks in the mind - the away game against Forest in March, who were flying high at the time. We had a succession of poor decisions go against us - but the worst by far was Pratley being cleaned out in the box by Cohen - which should have been a red card and a penalty. At the very least we wouldn't have lost that game - and we would have finished in the play-offs. In the event, Forest snatched a totally undeserved winner in injury time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8548080.stm
Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:07 - Jan 6 with 2081 viewsmonmouth

I hope that Jenkins et al got right to the bottom of what happened at Derby. Forget the rumours, speculation and the chairman's spin, you don't get shot of someone when you are fifth and a few points from the top, unless you think you have a real problem (or are an idiot of appointing Brob Badly proportions.....and seeing as they've returned to Tufty McCLown, that might be the case.)

We needed to appoint him with full comfort that any problem was specific to Derby and was left behind there.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:08 - Jan 6 with 2073 viewsShonky

Derby forum discussing Clement on 12:58 - Jan 6 by JackFish

It was a ridiculous miss, but if I remember correctly he made up for it a little later by scoring a diving header

With his shoulder.

Its just a ride...

Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:09 - Jan 6 with 2072 viewsmonmouth

Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:08 - Jan 6 by Shonky

With his shoulder.

From an inch off the ground.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:19 - Jan 6 with 1886 viewsDr_Winston

I liked Kuqi. Obviously not much skill in him but he did a job and didn't deserve the derision from some quarters. Scored something ludicrous like five 1-0 winners wasn't it?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:27 - Jan 6 with 1878 viewsBytholWyn

Some grievances never heal... Here's another report on the travesties of that Forest game:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1256154/Nottingham-Forest-1-Sw
Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:43 - Jan 6 with 1837 viewsTheFranchise

Derby forum discussing Clement on 17:19 - Jan 6 by Dr_Winston

I liked Kuqi. Obviously not much skill in him but he did a job and didn't deserve the derision from some quarters. Scored something ludicrous like five 1-0 winners wasn't it?

A good honest pro. He took the Besian death really badly didn't he?
Derby forum discussing Clement on 18:53 - Jan 6 with 1777 viewsStarsky

FECK ME ITS PAUL CLEMENT THREAD!

Go and start your own Sousa thread you trolls

Derby forum discussing Clement on 19:19 - Jan 6 with 1738 viewsexiledclaseboy

Yeah but you've got a long history of loving our sh*t strikers while simultaneously mostly dismissing the ones who actually scored goals.

Poll: Tory leader

Derby forum discussing Clement on 19:20 - Jan 6 with 1732 viewsTheFranchise

Derby forum discussing Clement on 19:19 - Jan 6 by exiledclaseboy

Yeah but you've got a long history of loving our sh*t strikers while simultaneously mostly dismissing the ones who actually scored goals.

I miss Craig Beattie too
Derby forum discussing Clement on 19:22 - Jan 6 with 1722 viewsswancity

Me too. Old fashioned battering ram of a centre forward but did ok for us late on in his career.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Derby forum discussing Clement on 19:25 - Jan 6 with 1710 viewsDarran

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Derby forum discussing Clement on 19:28 - Jan 6 with 1697 viewsGowerjack

Derby forum discussing Clement on 13:41 - Jan 6 by vetchonian

Whilst he is a talented player and did great for us he never made it Cahmpioship level,and if he had the potential why did no PL club ever come in for him at £2M he could have been a steal.
Trundle put himself in the shop window with all the videos he sent to Soccer AM I expect several clubs had him watched but funny how the only offer came form Bristol where he failed to make an impact. Yes making the headlines at Llanelli but there is along way from the Premier LoW to the Premier League!

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Derby forum discussing Clement on 19:43 - Jan 6 with 1648 viewsDr_Winston

Pithy line with the unfortunate problem of being total bollocks.

Still, got a giggle out of Prosser who seems to be your target audience these days.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024