Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cup Final 05:42 - Feb 7 with 7108 viewskiwidale

Is it fair to say Dale V Spurs (if it happens) will be our all time cup final? will it be the biggest game ever at Spotland?... Old timers used to talk to me as a lad about the Notts County game also a cup match Rochdale v Notts County 1949 Att 24,231. Is this bigger?

Hard to compare it with the League cup final 1961 v Norwich City or semi final V Blackburn Rovers in the same competition you could also broaden it out to is it the biggest game ever home or away?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 5:50]

This is not the time for bickering.

Cup Final on 05:56 - Feb 7 with 6407 viewsjoecooke

united away in 86 was big
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 6:04]

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Cup Final on 05:57 - Feb 7 with 6405 viewsBazzanne

I was eight when I went to that match. Can't remember anything about the game probably because I couldn't see anything in that crowd! We will never see so many bodies packed into Spotland again. The big draw was CF Tommy Lawton great England player of the day. Biggest crowd by far, but I think the (Spurs) game in the next round is more significant because it's the fifth round and because of the financial benefit to the club.
Cup Final on 06:19 - Feb 7 with 6359 viewskiwidale

Cup Final on 05:57 - Feb 7 by Bazzanne

I was eight when I went to that match. Can't remember anything about the game probably because I couldn't see anything in that crowd! We will never see so many bodies packed into Spotland again. The big draw was CF Tommy Lawton great England player of the day. Biggest crowd by far, but I think the (Spurs) game in the next round is more significant because it's the fifth round and because of the financial benefit to the club.

Respect to you Bazzane for still supporting ing Dale... I remember Dale V Doncaster 1969 was the most packed ever I saw at Spotland att 11300 looked more like 20 odd thousand I watched that game from just outside the bogs cnr of willbutts and pearl st so I had an elevated view. You couldn't move jam packed is an understatement. Any Bradford fan would be justified for claiming a fiddled attendance, the attendance v Halifax same season 13200 viewed from the same position was in my opinion a few thousand less than v Doncaster.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 6:25]

Cup Final on 06:25 - Feb 7 with 6340 viewskiwidale

Cup Final on 05:56 - Feb 7 by joecooke

united away in 86 was big
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 6:04]

what about at home?

Cup Final on 07:57 - Feb 7 with 6217 viewsEllDale

That 13k plus versus Halifax was the biggest official gate I've been in at Spotland.

How many were there when we played Bury in the Cup around 1981? It seemed packed that night.
Cup Final on 08:12 - Feb 7 with 6161 viewsjoecooke

Cup Final on 06:25 - Feb 7 by kiwidale

what about at home?

Probably the game before against Darlington which is the fullest ive seen spotland.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Cup Final on 08:29 - Feb 7 with 6107 viewsD_Alien

14000+ for the 2nd round tie against Oldham in 1970, won 2-0, both goals by Alf Arrowsmith. Only time I saw the Willbutts Lane shed packed out

Sunday 18th, if against Spurs will be the most glamorous home fixture in our history against a team in the top six, but calling it a cup final is tin pot

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cup Final on 12:12 - Feb 7 with 5959 viewsdavidab2202

Unless my old memory beginning to play tricks ,but feel that there was a game against Bury possibly 58/59 when I was about 10 years old when the attendance was almost 19000.??
Login to get fewer ads

Cup Final on 12:59 - Feb 7 with 5826 viewssouthealingdale

United away 86 was great. How many did we take that day?

@upthedale on Twitter

Cup Final on 13:02 - Feb 7 with 5807 viewssweetcorn

Please god no, shudder at the thought of it being called a cup final, its a 5th round tie against the biggest club we’ve seen at spotland..

Hoping the spurs team dont fancy it on that pitch, similar to newport and we can muster something from the game
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 14:34]

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Cup Final on 13:14 - Feb 7 with 5748 viewsHopwoodblue

Cup Final on 07:57 - Feb 7 by EllDale

That 13k plus versus Halifax was the biggest official gate I've been in at Spotland.

How many were there when we played Bury in the Cup around 1981? It seemed packed that night.

Is that the year we lost in the replay 3 - 2 at giggle ? Remember Bobby Scaife rattling One in from about 20yds top corner against John Forrest only for I think Brian Taylor to gift Steve Johnson a goal with a shocking back pass across the goal line think Chris (teflon)Shyne was in our net that night. Might be wrong though it’s along time ago
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 13:16]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Cup Final on 13:15 - Feb 7 with 5742 viewsdeeplishblue

Biggest official gate that I went to was the 1990 win over Northampton. I think that there were 9k+ there.

I'm sure that the City friendly from about 10 years ago had more in than that though.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Cup Final on 13:26 - Feb 7 with 5701 viewssouthealingdale

Cup Final on 13:14 - Feb 7 by Hopwoodblue

Is that the year we lost in the replay 3 - 2 at giggle ? Remember Bobby Scaife rattling One in from about 20yds top corner against John Forrest only for I think Brian Taylor to gift Steve Johnson a goal with a shocking back pass across the goal line think Chris (teflon)Shyne was in our net that night. Might be wrong though it’s along time ago
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 13:16]

yes. and I think Bury went on to play Liverpool

@upthedale on Twitter

Cup Final on 14:40 - Feb 7 with 5584 viewsDorkingDale

Surely Coventry 1971 was the biggest home game.

We played Liverpool away as well as Utd away (let's not talk about the score....)
Cup Final on 18:08 - Feb 7 with 5394 viewsrochedale

Cup Final on 13:15 - Feb 7 by deeplishblue

Biggest official gate that I went to was the 1990 win over Northampton. I think that there were 9k+ there.

I'm sure that the City friendly from about 10 years ago had more in than that though.

Same here, I have the figure 9044 in my head, not sure if right or wrong, but that’s the figure I’ve always quoted when the story has been topic of convo.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Cup Final on 18:15 - Feb 7 with 5378 viewsdingdangblue

Cup Final on 13:15 - Feb 7 by deeplishblue

Were you not at the Darlington play off game?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Cup Final on 18:59 - Feb 7 with 5307 viewsboromat

Cup Final on 14:40 - Feb 7 by DorkingDale

We played Liverpool away as well as Utd away (let's not talk about the score....)

The Liverpool game at Anfield was still an experience. I was only a kid and was in awe of the noise made at Anfield being used to Spotland. Yes we got battered but the players on show and to say you'd seen the Ian Rush record breaking goal is pretty special.

Collymore, Fowler, Rush, Barnes, McAteer, McManaman, James, Matteo......

They also went on to play in the final!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Cup Final on 19:41 - Feb 7 with 5231 viewsRobinHoodDale

Cup Final on 14:40 - Feb 7 by DorkingDale

I would put Coventry 1971 there, too, with about 13,000. I was 13 and remember it like yesterday - taking the afternoon off (unofficially) from school in Manchester and coming back by bus, train and another bus to Spotland. Due to the industrial unrest, it was played on a Monday afternoon as they couldn't guarantee power for any floodlights. What a joy to share in that triumphant match.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 23:04]
Cup Final on 21:43 - Feb 7 with 5065 viewsseasidedale

The Coventry game was played on monday afternoon because Noel Cantwell the coventry manager refused to play under our floodlights, not industrial unrest (that came later), Cantwell also said other derogatory things about rochdale, I took the afternoon off greenhill school to go,
Cup Final on 21:49 - Feb 7 with 5021 viewsThe_Knightowl

Cup Final on 18:59 - Feb 7 by boromat

The Liverpool game at Anfield was still an experience. I was only a kid and was in awe of the noise made at Anfield being used to Spotland. Yes we got battered but the players on show and to say you'd seen the Ian Rush record breaking goal is pretty special.

Collymore, Fowler, Rush, Barnes, McAteer, McManaman, James, Matteo......

They also went on to play in the final!

It wasn't too bad till Collymore scored his brace either side of half time I recall the chant going out "were doing better than Citeh"
Cup Final on 23:03 - Feb 7 with 4901 viewsRobinHoodDale

Cup Final on 21:43 - Feb 7 by seasidedale

The Coventry game was played on monday afternoon because Noel Cantwell the coventry manager refused to play under our floodlights, not industrial unrest (that came later), Cantwell also said other derogatory things about rochdale, I took the afternoon off greenhill school to go,

Ah. Genuine thanks for that clarification. I had always puzzled that the miners' strike didn't start until 1972.

Let's hope that any current opposition managers' views on Spotland's facilities aren't taken on board so easily !
Cup Final on 23:18 - Feb 7 with 4833 viewsSuddenLad

Ditto. Thankfully missed chemistry lessons with Ken Sanderson. 😉

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Cup Final on 00:05 - Feb 8 with 4745 viewsSandyman

As the Christmas carol says...

"Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel,
That is the name of that BASTARD Cantwell"

Got the afternoon off from Redbrook for that one
[Post edited 8 Feb 2018 0:06]
Cup Final on 13:40 - Feb 8 with 4350 viewsseasidedale

I remember that it should have been played saturday but was postponed frozen pitch, The headmistress at greenhill whos name escapes said that people could go if they had tickets for the game, cue a mass exidus to the ticket office to get a ticket.
Cup Final on 16:56 - Feb 8 with 4209 viewsdeeplishblue

Cup Final on 18:15 - Feb 7 by dingdangblue

Were you not at the Darlington play off game?

Yes. What was the crowd then?

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024