Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . 09:50 - Apr 6 with 5556 viewsRobbie

Sad to read this schoolboy hero of mine has passed away aged 84 .
Memories of St. Helens on a sunny day and the likes of Alan Jones / Roy Fredericks opening
followed by Majid Khan , Tony Lewis and Peter Walker as the all-rounder , priceless .
Well renowned short leg and close in fielder too . RIP Mr. Walker .
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:09 - Apr 7 with 1423 viewstheloneranger

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:00 - Apr 7 by WarwickHunt

John Arlott’s favourite ground. ‘Nuff said...

You can add Richie Benaud to that, especially when he used to talk about the sea/beach view from his commentary position.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:48 - Apr 7 with 1398 viewsThrasher6

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:00 - Apr 7 by WarwickHunt

John Arlott’s favourite ground. ‘Nuff said...

John Arlott....had real characters then in and around the game. Just read his Wiki page...a trip down memory lane.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Arlott?wprov=sfla1
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 10:39]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:55 - Apr 7 with 1383 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:48 - Apr 7 by Thrasher6

John Arlott....had real characters then in and around the game. Just read his Wiki page...a trip down memory lane.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Arlott?wprov=sfla1
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 10:39]

Big mate of Dylan Thomas. Imagine sharing a few bottles of red with those two...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0213hvs
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 10:00 - Apr 7 with 1375 viewssainthelens

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 09:55 - Apr 7 by WarwickHunt

Big mate of Dylan Thomas. Imagine sharing a few bottles of red with those two...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0213hvs

Chuck in our very own Lohengrin, it would spin anyone out.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:21 - Apr 7 with 1311 viewsswancity

RIP. One of many Glamorgan cricketers down the years who can feel hard done by in terms of England selection including Alan Jones especially , Matthew Maynard, Steve Watkin, Huw Morris and apparently even Malcolm Nash and Eifion Jones had spells where they were being considered?

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:26 - Apr 7 with 1307 viewsdickythorpe

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:21 - Apr 7 by swancity

RIP. One of many Glamorgan cricketers down the years who can feel hard done by in terms of England selection including Alan Jones especially , Matthew Maynard, Steve Watkin, Huw Morris and apparently even Malcolm Nash and Eifion Jones had spells where they were being considered?

Maynard was "the" player to make you sit up and take notice.
I saw him destroy teams. An absolute joy to watch.
Steve James and Morris were the most intelligent players we've had I believe.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:30 - Apr 7 with 1302 viewsswancity

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:26 - Apr 7 by dickythorpe

Yes a very hard striker of the ball he could take bowling apart but like Huw Morris was discarded by England after just a few tests albeit unsuccessful ones.

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:36 - Apr 7 with 1295 viewsSwanjaxs

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:26 - Apr 7 by dickythorpe

Was at St Helens when MM made his debut v Yorkshire hitting a ton in the 2nd innings.

Absolutely ferocious striking of the ball.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Login to get fewer ads

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 22:37 - Apr 7 with 1279 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:36 - Apr 7 by Swanjaxs

Was at St Helens when MM made his debut v Yorkshire hitting a ton in the 2nd innings.

Absolutely ferocious striking of the ball.

Three consecutive sixes to get a ton on your debut.

If the England selectors had nurtured him he could have been a fixture. Prodigiously talented.
Gave Allan Donald the charge and smashed him straight back over his head for six.

I mean, how the fûck do you do that to Donald bowling at 90mph plus?
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 22:49 - Apr 7 with 1266 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:21 - Apr 7 by swancity

Eifion and Nash were very much in the frame. Alan and Don Shepherd were both top drawer but were unlucky to be around when England were blessed with world class players in their roles.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 01:40 - Apr 8 with 1238 viewsSwanjaxs

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 22:37 - Apr 7 by WarwickHunt

Three consecutive sixes to get a ton on your debut.

If the England selectors had nurtured him he could have been a fixture. Prodigiously talented.
Gave Allan Donald the charge and smashed him straight back over his head for six.

I mean, how the fûck do you do that to Donald bowling at 90mph plus?

All three sixes flew over Fred's bar onto Mumbles Rd.

If my memory serves me rite he was out next ball caught at long on going for a 4th.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 1:42]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:22 - Apr 8 with 1164 viewsJinxy

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 21:01 - Apr 6 by Swanjaxs

Always thought Eifion a bit sirly with the younger fans.

Alan a gent though

Eifion and Alan used to coach us on a Friday night (I think) at Neath indoor nets. They were both fantastic with us to be fair.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:24 - Apr 8 with 1163 viewstheloneranger

Many moons ago, John Arlott compiled an England XI comprising of players that he believed should have won a Test cap. This was his team, in batting order ...

John Langridge (Sussex)

Maurice Hallam (Leicestershire)

Emrys Davies (Glamorgan)

Edgar Oldroyd (Yorkshire)

Jack Newman (Canterbury/Hampshire)

Harry Martyn (Somerset) – wicketkeeper

Peter Sainsbury (Hampshire)

Wilfred Wooller (Glamorgan)

Don Shepherd (Glamorgan)

Charles Kortright (Essex)

Tom Wass (Nottinghamshire

Don Shepherd is the highest wicket taker in the history of First Class cricket to never win a Test cap!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 11:00 - Apr 8 with 1133 viewsJinxy

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:24 - Apr 8 by theloneranger

Many moons ago, John Arlott compiled an England XI comprising of players that he believed should have won a Test cap. This was his team, in batting order ...

John Langridge (Sussex)

Emrys Davies (Glamorgan)

Don Shepherd (Glamorgan)

Don Shepherd is the highest wicket taker in the history of First Class cricket to never win a Test cap!!

It still bugs me that it's called "England" though. Really should be renamed.
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:08 - Apr 8 with 1117 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:22 - Apr 8 by Jinxy

Eifion and Alan used to coach us on a Friday night (I think) at Neath indoor nets. They were both fantastic with us to be fair.

Was sent up there as a junior. Some young buck was trying to impress the Glamorgan players and (unintentionally) bowled me a rapid beamer first bloody ball. Indoor nets and I hadn’t adjusted to the light - hit me between the hip and ribs and gave me a bruise the size of a grapefruit.

Got some coaching from Roger Davies though...
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:12 - Apr 8 with 1114 viewsWarwickHunt

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 08:24 - Apr 8 by theloneranger

John Langridge (Sussex)

Emrys Davies (Glamorgan)

Don Shepherd (Glamorgan)

Also scored 51 in 15 minutes against the Australians at Swansea, reaching that score with just 11 scoring strokes, six sixes, three fours, a two and a single.

Cultured, he wasn’t. 😂
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:50 - Apr 8 with 1098 viewsswancity

The Glamorgan Club have always been seen as the poor relations. Officials looking down their noses at little old Glamorgan even when they won the Championship in 1969. I recall being at the Gillette Cup Final in 1977 at Lords against Middlesex who were hot favourites, were on home territory and included the England Captain Brearley with England team mates Gatting Radley Selvey Edmonds Emburey etc in their team. Meanwhile Glamorgan looked like they’d barely had enough money to buy pads and gloves.
It was a great day despite the loss. John Hopkins and Mike Llewelyn batted well with Llewelyn hitting a huge six into the pavilion but despite Nash getting Brearley out first ball of their innings we were well beaten.
Good to see our players like Alan Jones Hopkins Eifion Jones Nash Ontong Cordle ( I think ) Llewelyn getting to a final though 👏🏻

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 13:01 - Apr 8 with 1090 viewssainthelens

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:50 - Apr 8 by swancity

The Glamorgan Club have always been seen as the poor relations. Officials looking down their noses at little old Glamorgan even when they won the Championship in 1969. I recall being at the Gillette Cup Final in 1977 at Lords against Middlesex who were hot favourites, were on home territory and included the England Captain Brearley with England team mates Gatting Radley Selvey Edmonds Emburey etc in their team. Meanwhile Glamorgan looked like they’d barely had enough money to buy pads and gloves.
It was a great day despite the loss. John Hopkins and Mike Llewelyn batted well with Llewelyn hitting a huge six into the pavilion but despite Nash getting Brearley out first ball of their innings we were well beaten.
Good to see our players like Alan Jones Hopkins Eifion Jones Nash Ontong Cordle ( I think ) Llewelyn getting to a final though 👏🏻

We've been looked down upon as generally last 15 years we've been abject at best. Coinciding with moving lock stock n barrel to Sophia Gardens....coincidence?
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 13:18 - Apr 8 with 1082 viewsdickythorpe

My grandpa despised Middlesex as they always blocked us from entry to the country championship up until 1921
Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 14:51 - Apr 8 with 1055 viewsJinxy

Peter Walker , Glamorgan County Cricket . on 12:08 - Apr 8 by WarwickHunt

Was sent up there as a junior. Some young buck was trying to impress the Glamorgan players and (unintentionally) bowled me a rapid beamer first bloody ball. Indoor nets and I hadn’t adjusted to the light - hit me between the hip and ribs and gave me a bruise the size of a grapefruit.

Got some coaching from Roger Davies though...

Yes, a few upped their game when the players were there! Gwyn Richards is a family friend and once gave me a SS bat - told me it was Majid's. Well, I believed it anyway. Very happy days, the Neath nights were a real treat, was only 11ish then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024