Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? 14:37 - Jun 6 with 5656 viewsCatullus

My son wants a gaming PC. Like many kids these days I guess, an Xbox just isn't good enough by itself.
I've looked into it, checked out PC world and a website called Cyberpower who build cutom rigs.
Has anyone got any recommendations or ideas? We're looking at round £600/700, nothing too posh.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 11:29 - Jun 8 with 1192 viewsJackSomething

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:00 - Jun 8 by Catullus

We'd be happy to get him a new console but he's got an Xbox X and we still have the PS4. We got him a laptop 2 years back so he could do schoolwork on it and it's been useful for Hwb but he uses it more to watch youtube!

So when we talked about a PC and he asked about a gaming machine we thought we could kill 2 birds with one stone. The downside for him is, a new ganing PC for Christmas will mean no other presents!

While I'm here, he has trouble with his Xbox controller, the aiming target/dot whatever keeps drifting up. He can't snipe and he loves sniping, sneaky so and so! Any suggestions?

Yeah sorry, my post did very little to address your initial question. I just wanted to debate some of Jimmy's points about consoles.

My recent PC purchase was a laptop, so can't speak to the options for a desktop, but I agree with those who've suggested getting one built from an independent supplier. You'd hope that they'd sort you out with a decent build for your price range. I would think they'd offer a good service in the hope you'd use them again for upgrades in the future.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 11:40 - Jun 8 with 1177 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 11:29 - Jun 8 by JackSomething

Yeah sorry, my post did very little to address your initial question. I just wanted to debate some of Jimmy's points about consoles.

My recent PC purchase was a laptop, so can't speak to the options for a desktop, but I agree with those who've suggested getting one built from an independent supplier. You'd hope that they'd sort you out with a decent build for your price range. I would think they'd offer a good service in the hope you'd use them again for upgrades in the future.

Hey don't apologise, it was a valid point. I am going to use the links posted before and get some quotes, fortunately I've given myself plenty of time before Christmas, he may even get if for his birthday in September because he'll be in comp by then, hopefully it'll be safe and the schools will be properly open.

He's missed his friends and a large chunk of his education, there's a lot to catch up on.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:13 - Jun 8 with 1130 viewsJimmyGilligan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 09:38 - Jun 8 by JackSomething

As someone who has recently invested in a lovely new gaming PC and has a PS4 Pro, you're being a bit hard on consoles as an investment there.

The 'outdated within a few years' argument is not really true. The PS4 will have been out for 7 years (Nov 2013) by the time the PS5 comes out near the end of this year. There was the Pro and One X midway through the console generation, but those were upgrades rather than new consoles and entirely optional as the original consoles play all new releases. A PC bought 7 years ago is not going to be able to play practically any new games without time and money being spent upgrading it.

I got my Pro to replace my original PS4 around a year after it came out and only paid around £360 for it, which included 3 games, 2 of which were new releases I wanted anyway (RDR2 and Spiderman). I also sold my original PS4 for £120, making it an even better deal.

Whereas the cost of keeping a gaming PC capable of playing new releases can be very high. Easier if you know what you're doing of course, but still not cheap. Plus the initial cost to have one capable of playing the highest spec games as you mentioned. Whereas a console can give you the peace of mind of knowing it will play any game you buy for it straight out of the box (usually after a lengthy download of patches/updates of course).

I love my PC for certain games and my PS4 for other games, plus of course my PC is good for many other things than playing games, but consoles are still pretty damn good.

For the price of a new console you could upgrade a PC to be twice as capable as the latest console. The PS5 is going to use a gpu that is already 2 years old

This is an age old argument that has no right answer, so it's pointless arguing, everyone has their opinion

For a child in school though, a PC is easily the better option for obvious reasons.
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:08 - Jun 8 with 1109 viewsgadgetuk

I'm going to jump on this thread. I have a Lenovo desktop PC with a Geforce 1050 graphics card - not exactly high spec but does the job. I wanted to add an SSD but on opening the case the motherboard does not have a spare SATA port (1 for DVD, 1 for Hard Drive).

I think my best option would be to replace the motherboard (It only has 1 PCI slot!)

Processor is a i3-7100 so I think I would keep this for now - can anyone recommend a replacement motherboard that would fit this processor and allow me to add an additional hard drive?
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 19:09 - Jun 8 with 1094 viewsThurrockJack92

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:08 - Jun 8 by gadgetuk

I'm going to jump on this thread. I have a Lenovo desktop PC with a Geforce 1050 graphics card - not exactly high spec but does the job. I wanted to add an SSD but on opening the case the motherboard does not have a spare SATA port (1 for DVD, 1 for Hard Drive).

I think my best option would be to replace the motherboard (It only has 1 PCI slot!)

Processor is a i3-7100 so I think I would keep this for now - can anyone recommend a replacement motherboard that would fit this processor and allow me to add an additional hard drive?

There are so many different types of motherboard it is ridiculous I'd just google what motherboards are compatible with the cpu and make sure it's the right form for your case. Most will have more than 2 sata ports. Personally I would just disconnect the DVD, not much use for them these days.
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 19:36 - Jun 8 with 1079 viewsThurrockJack92

As your son plays games like Fortnite you should be able to get perfectly adequate PC for that amount. Although you would need to upgrade within a couple of years as some games (AAA) are getting quite demanding. Having said that the versatility of a PC still puts it far above a console IMO.

I wouldn't recommend buying one pre-built or getting one custom made. You could use that money to up the specs of the PC. There are many websites you can use to pick out the parts and they can tell you whether they are going to be compatible with each other. This will be trickier than actually putting it together which is not difficult at all, just use a youtube video to guide you step by step.

Don't be afraid to buy parts second hand, particularly the CPU and GPU as they will be the most expensive. I would also wait until the 3000 series of GPUs are released before buying as this will make all earlier cards cheaper.
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:15 - Jun 8 with 1064 viewsJackSomething

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:13 - Jun 8 by JimmyGilligan

For the price of a new console you could upgrade a PC to be twice as capable as the latest console. The PS5 is going to use a gpu that is already 2 years old

This is an age old argument that has no right answer, so it's pointless arguing, everyone has their opinion

For a child in school though, a PC is easily the better option for obvious reasons.

You're right that it's pointless to argue about it and I agree completely with your final paragraph.

Having said that, when the specs for the new XBOX and PS5 are released, I'd love to see the evidence that you could upgrade a PC to be twice as capable for the same money. Sounds unlikely to me. Plus you'd have to factor in the cost of the PC in the first place.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:20 - Jun 8 with 1059 viewsDr_Winston

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:15 - Jun 8 by JackSomething

You're right that it's pointless to argue about it and I agree completely with your final paragraph.

Having said that, when the specs for the new XBOX and PS5 are released, I'd love to see the evidence that you could upgrade a PC to be twice as capable for the same money. Sounds unlikely to me. Plus you'd have to factor in the cost of the PC in the first place.

Assuming the new consoles cost in the region of £400-500 I'd be very surprised if you couldn't install a new CPU and RAM to at least exceed it for the same amount.

Twice as capable maybe not, unless you're factoring in storage space etc.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:30 - Jun 8 with 1053 viewsHighjack

The advantage of consoles is ease of use, and of course most PC games are ruined by hackers whereas consoles are largely safe from that.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:40 - Jun 8 with 1048 viewsJimmyGilligan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:15 - Jun 8 by JackSomething

Assuming that the new console is gonna be £600, it is going to reportedly have the equivalent of a 2080. It is going to be stuck with that throughout its lifespan.

You can get a 2080 anywhere for anywhere between £200-£600 right now, depending on where you shop. Nvidia are on the verge of releasing the 3080, meaning that price will drop. And the 3080 will be around that price.

I already have an I7

Job done.

They announced today the reveal of the PS5 is going to be on thursday at 9pm.
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 21:54 - Jun 8 with 1034 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 19:36 - Jun 8 by ThurrockJack92

As your son plays games like Fortnite you should be able to get perfectly adequate PC for that amount. Although you would need to upgrade within a couple of years as some games (AAA) are getting quite demanding. Having said that the versatility of a PC still puts it far above a console IMO.

I wouldn't recommend buying one pre-built or getting one custom made. You could use that money to up the specs of the PC. There are many websites you can use to pick out the parts and they can tell you whether they are going to be compatible with each other. This will be trickier than actually putting it together which is not difficult at all, just use a youtube video to guide you step by step.

Don't be afraid to buy parts second hand, particularly the CPU and GPU as they will be the most expensive. I would also wait until the 3000 series of GPUs are released before buying as this will make all earlier cards cheaper.

If I had even the slightest clue I might take your advice. The only thing I'm confident in though is my complete lack of knowledge and capability on this.

Thanks for your input though.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 00:52 - Jun 9 with 1005 viewsDippy

Nobody has mentioned Ethernet over WiFi, which is very important for the best experience

Poll: Cooper Out

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 00:54 - Jun 9 with 1004 viewsDJack

Cat and Dr W this site may be of use to you (amongst many others uou may peruse)...look at other peoples builds and their cost etc.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:39 - Jun 9 with 946 viewsJackSomething

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:40 - Jun 8 by JimmyGilligan

Assuming that the new console is gonna be £600, it is going to reportedly have the equivalent of a 2080. It is going to be stuck with that throughout its lifespan.

You can get a 2080 anywhere for anywhere between £200-£600 right now, depending on where you shop. Nvidia are on the verge of releasing the 3080, meaning that price will drop. And the 3080 will be around that price.

I already have an I7

Job done.

They announced today the reveal of the PS5 is going to be on thursday at 9pm.

Mate, I'd be stunned if the new consoles were £600. High price points have been the death knell for consoles in previous generations and both Sony and Microsoft are determined not to hand the other a big advantage this time (as Microsoft did with one own goal after another pre-Xbox One launch).

Analysts seem to be saying the likely price point of the PS5 at launch will be £449, although Covid may have a say in that. As you say, we'll find out soon.

I don't think I explained my initial point well, so I'll try again. I thought the way you compared the cost of a console to a PC was a bit biased towards a PC.

The PS4 launched at £350 and is only now being made obsolete by a new console. So that's 7 years of gaming for that relatively low entry point. There are other factors of course, one being you have to pay for PS+ if you want to play online, although hopefully that will be removed in this new generation.

If the PS5 is £450, I can't believe that you can buy a PC that will replicate it's stats for anything like that low amount. Then a few years down the line, you'll need to fork out even more money to be able to play the newest PC games, while a PS5 owner will need to pay no extra money to play new games for anything between 5-7 years. So you may be able to upgrade a PC you've already spent a lot of money on to top a console, but the overall cost including initial purchase is much higher.

Is the quality better on a high-spec PC? Of course it is and I think any serious gamer with money to spend would always go PC (not even factoring in things like mouse and keyboard being better for many games than a controller). The point I was making is that it's not exactly cost-effective when compared to a console.

All irrelevant to the OP of course as in his case as PC is clearly what is needed. But I've enjoyed the friendly debate.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 15:14 - Jun 9 with 936 viewsJimmyGilligan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:39 - Jun 9 by JackSomething

Mate, I'd be stunned if the new consoles were £600. High price points have been the death knell for consoles in previous generations and both Sony and Microsoft are determined not to hand the other a big advantage this time (as Microsoft did with one own goal after another pre-Xbox One launch).

Analysts seem to be saying the likely price point of the PS5 at launch will be £449, although Covid may have a say in that. As you say, we'll find out soon.

I don't think I explained my initial point well, so I'll try again. I thought the way you compared the cost of a console to a PC was a bit biased towards a PC.

The PS4 launched at £350 and is only now being made obsolete by a new console. So that's 7 years of gaming for that relatively low entry point. There are other factors of course, one being you have to pay for PS+ if you want to play online, although hopefully that will be removed in this new generation.

If the PS5 is £450, I can't believe that you can buy a PC that will replicate it's stats for anything like that low amount. Then a few years down the line, you'll need to fork out even more money to be able to play the newest PC games, while a PS5 owner will need to pay no extra money to play new games for anything between 5-7 years. So you may be able to upgrade a PC you've already spent a lot of money on to top a console, but the overall cost including initial purchase is much higher.

Is the quality better on a high-spec PC? Of course it is and I think any serious gamer with money to spend would always go PC (not even factoring in things like mouse and keyboard being better for many games than a controller). The point I was making is that it's not exactly cost-effective when compared to a console.

All irrelevant to the OP of course as in his case as PC is clearly what is needed. But I've enjoyed the friendly debate.

Good point, well made Sir.

Regards

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:08 - Jun 9 with 921 viewsgadgetuk

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 00:52 - Jun 9 by Dippy

Nobody has mentioned Ethernet over WiFi, which is very important for the best experience

Whut?
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:01 - Jun 9 with 907 viewsHumpty

I have a PC question for our experts on here. Sorry to change the subject.

I've been playing on old game (2001) on my Windows 10 PC for a few weeks and it's been working fine. I started it up yesterday and its running so fast its pretty much unplayable. You can adjust running speed via the in game menu and its set at its slowest setting.

Looking online people have suggested running on only one CPU core and adjusting the Vsync setting, but I'm not sure how to do either for Windows 10.

What is odd is that it was all good then changed without me making any changes to my PC or the game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:02 - Jun 9 with 907 viewsHighjack

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:08 - Jun 9 by gadgetuk

Whut?

It makes the internet juice go through a wire rather than spurt through the air resulting in a much smoother receipt of internet juice.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:05 - Jun 9 with 899 viewsJimmyGilligan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:01 - Jun 9 by Humpty

I have a PC question for our experts on here. Sorry to change the subject.

I've been playing on old game (2001) on my Windows 10 PC for a few weeks and it's been working fine. I started it up yesterday and its running so fast its pretty much unplayable. You can adjust running speed via the in game menu and its set at its slowest setting.

Looking online people have suggested running on only one CPU core and adjusting the Vsync setting, but I'm not sure how to do either for Windows 10.

What is odd is that it was all good then changed without me making any changes to my PC or the game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which game?
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:14 - Jun 9 with 895 viewsHumpty

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:05 - Jun 9 by JimmyGilligan

Which game?

Its called Sudden Strike.
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:40 - Jun 9 with 888 viewsJimmyGilligan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 18:14 - Jun 9 by Humpty

Its called Sudden Strike.

I'm not familiar with that game. I'd ask on the game's forum, which seems to be here - https://www.gog.com/forum/sudden_strike_series#1591708353
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024