Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day in 1979... 14:05 - May 4 with 4330 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

On this day in 1979, Margaret Thatcher led the Conservative Party to victory, defeating the Labour Party to become Prime Minister. She would serve the nation for 11 years.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

On this day in 1979... on 19:01 - May 4 with 884 viewscontroversial_jack

On this day in 1979... on 16:27 - May 4 by felixstowe_jack

We were the sick men of Europe under labour and had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a loan.

Now we have the 5th largest economy in the world by GDP.

What happened then. much higher unemployment, inflation and higher interest rates.
On this day in 1979... on 19:03 - May 4 with 882 viewsBillyChong

On this day in 1979... on 18:30 - May 4 by onehunglow

Yet,away from that Red area you live in,many opine differently .
One who had the guts to defend this country.
One who beat filth like Hatton and his like.
One that modernised Britain

You utterly cannot see any other view.

I was one of the few who was ambivalent.

Still am

We are not wholly bad or good

Shame train services were left out of that modernisation
On this day in 1979... on 19:04 - May 4 with 874 viewscontroversial_jack

On this day in 1979... on 16:49 - May 4 by Lohengrin

The ‘long, slow crumbling’ began much earlier than that, if you want to pinpoint a beginning I’d offer up the 24th August 1931 and the fall of the second Labour government following Philip Snowden’s abject failure at The Exchequer. Snowden, a firebrand in opposition, a listless hamster in office refused outright to implement policies that could have alleviated unemployment, cleared slums and sated hunger while the Depression raged all around.

Why? Because, and this is worth remembering the next time you trot along to a ballot station with anything approaching optimism, “the City won’t stand for it.”

The advent of Thatcherism, of Monetarism, fifty years later wasn’t the root cause of anything; that just represented a later complication to afflict a body politic already in an advanced state of decay.

I disagree, it was the beginnings on the failed neo lib experiment
On this day in 1979... on 19:28 - May 4 with 863 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 19:01 - May 4 by controversial_jack

What happened then. much higher unemployment, inflation and higher interest rates.

Some would say that those that wanted to work, improved their lives. Even those who bought their council houses for reduced prices.

Back then we had a large working class, now the equivalent people are not.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

On this day in 1979... on 19:43 - May 4 with 845 viewsonehunglow

On this day in 1979... on 18:17 - May 4 by Kilkennyjack

Please can you post in English. Thank you.

Irony

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

On this day in 1979... on 19:51 - May 4 with 832 viewsonehunglow

Also bear this in mind.
Saying anything "positive" regarding Thatcher is social suicide on here and in Welsh media.Kids have been brought up brainwashed .

Thatcher is THE anti Christ and the foulest ,most hateful abuse is welcome ;it is on here.

Nobody would have the guts to eulogise Thatcher on here although many owe their homes/jobs/families to her. Without her,it is entirely possible Britain would have sunk into an abyss we could hardly have contemplated.

My own view;for my many followers-She utilised Police Officers in not the best way and after the significant raise -suggested by Edmund Davies NOT her,dumped Police by way of PACE 1984.,a soft option pot pourri by dear old Toff,Willie Whitelaw. Hardline Conservative Home Secretary,the short sharp shock jockey . The most risible of all Home Secs,the one who let Police down as badly as Teresa May ,another vicious bitch albeit not to the right people.

On this day in 1979... on 20:00 - May 4 with 829 viewstrampie

On this day in 1979... on 19:28 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Some would say that those that wanted to work, improved their lives. Even those who bought their council houses for reduced prices.

Back then we had a large working class, now the equivalent people are not.

The council houses were owned by the state by the people, it was not Maggie's to sell off our housing stock, my family did not live in council houses so did not have the financial benefit that council house dwellers had which is not fair.
She sold the country's family silver off our nationalised industries for a song, she divided this country into have and have nots.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

On this day in 1979... on 20:04 - May 4 with 818 viewsonehunglow

I actually agree with trampie here.
There again Maggie wanted people to be freer and won their own homes rather than paying a wasteful council for the pleasure of having a roof over their head.

Council houses were a good way of ensuring continued labour support

Plaid of course an utter irrelevance

Login to get fewer ads

On this day in 1979... on 20:12 - May 4 with 806 viewsBoundy

On this day in 1979... on 18:17 - May 4 by Kilkennyjack

Please can you post in English. Thank you.

Why , don't you understand Welsh ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

On this day in 1979... on 20:14 - May 4 with 799 viewsonehunglow

If you hate the english,detest the language and the fact they have flooded into Wales why speak their language.Ultimate hypocrisy

Gwynfor Evans was very very posh too

On this day in 1979... on 20:23 - May 4 with 793 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 20:00 - May 4 by trampie

The council houses were owned by the state by the people, it was not Maggie's to sell off our housing stock, my family did not live in council houses so did not have the financial benefit that council house dwellers had which is not fair.
She sold the country's family silver off our nationalised industries for a song, she divided this country into have and have nots.

So I suppose they could have kept on paying rent.

Edit.
They weren’t forced to buy them. Neither was I, but did so.

This post has been edited by an administrator

On this day in 1979... on 20:34 - May 4 with 771 viewstrampie

On this day in 1979... on 20:23 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

So I suppose they could have kept on paying rent.

Edit.
They weren’t forced to buy them. Neither was I, but did so.

This post has been edited by an administrator

It was not Thatcher's to sell off, my family like many others were taxpayers and therefore should have had a stake in the state owned council stock, yet only certain people benefited from the sale of them.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

On this day in 1979... on 20:36 - May 4 with 764 viewsjack247

On this day in 1979... on 14:07 - May 4 by onehunglow

You know what you've done now Dwight.

Of course he does
On this day in 1979... on 20:37 - May 4 with 764 viewsBoundy

On this day in 1979... on 20:34 - May 4 by trampie

It was not Thatcher's to sell off, my family like many others were taxpayers and therefore should have had a stake in the state owned council stock, yet only certain people benefited from the sale of them.

What stake exactly would that have been and what would you expect as a return on the Taxpayers "investment"

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

On this day in 1979... on 20:38 - May 4 with 764 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 20:34 - May 4 by trampie

Got mine for 9k mate.
Sold it for 38k
Maybe I was lucky.

I thought they did have a stake, hence the opportunity ?

On this day in 1979... on 20:41 - May 4 with 755 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Labour policy in the 1959 general election which they lost so didn’t have the chance to implement it. The Conservatives implemented it twenty years later.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

On this day in 1979... on 20:42 - May 4 with 753 viewstrampie

On this day in 1979... on 20:38 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Got mine for 9k mate.
Sold it for 38k
Maybe I was lucky.

I thought they did have a stake, hence the opportunity ?

If you owned (mortgage) your own property and weren't renting a council property you couldn't buy a council house at well below market value because you wasn't living in one.

On this day in 1979... on 20:45 - May 4 with 747 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 20:42 - May 4 by trampie

If you owned (mortgage) your own property and weren't renting a council property you couldn't buy a council house at well below market value because you wasn't living in one.

Yup, had a council house from 1979, bought it in 1985. Could have been 1984. You had to be an occupier for five years.

And I thought it was pretty much a decent deal but well below market value ?
I wasn’t living in Chelsea. South Court, Haverfordwest. You could buy a flat at the time for 5k.

On this day in 1979... on 20:48 - May 4 with 733 viewsonehunglow

On this day in 1979... on 20:45 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Yup, had a council house from 1979, bought it in 1985. Could have been 1984. You had to be an occupier for five years.

I wasn’t living in Chelsea. South Court, Haverfordwest. You could buy a flat at the time for 5k.

In 79,I was on the bones of my 'rse .Then things got better.You gotta hang in there and graft .even though you might detest a job.Never leave a job without another lined up

On this day in 1979... on 20:49 - May 4 with 730 viewstrampie

On this day in 1979... on 20:45 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

At one time council houses were a step up on renting a room, bedsit etc, yet council house people made a killing and poorer people than them had Porthcawl because they weren't in a council property.

On this day in 1979... on 20:50 - May 4 with 731 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 20:48 - May 4 by onehunglow

In 79,I was on the bones of my 'rse .Then things got better.You gotta hang in there and graft .even though you might detest a job.Never leave a job without another lined up

Job to job was easy then, if of course you wanted one.
My rent was 9 quid a week for the council house 1980 ish.

On this day in 1979... on 20:52 - May 4 with 719 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 20:49 - May 4 by trampie

At one time council houses were a step up on renting a room, bedsit etc, yet council house people made a killing and poorer people than them had Porthcawl because they weren't in a council property.

Ah, I’ve got you now, yes of course you couldn’t buy one unless you were renting one. Otherwise folk with money would have exploited it.

On this day in 1979... on 20:53 - May 4 with 714 viewsonehunglow

On this day in 1979... on 20:50 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Job to job was easy then, if of course you wanted one.
My rent was 9 quid a week for the council house 1980 ish.

Not sure I agree there.Not for me anyway.It's why I joined Plod. I was in a very precarious position.

You'll have to wait for my book

On this day in 1979... on 21:04 - May 4 with 709 viewstrampie

On this day in 1979... on 20:52 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Ah, I’ve got you now, yes of course you couldn’t buy one unless you were renting one. Otherwise folk with money would have exploited it.

Yes no doubt people with money would have exploited it if they could, but they should not have been sold off under market value, when other ordinary working class people (often doing the same job as somebody in a council property) that were renting a small flat or a with a mortgage on a little two up two down terraced house did not benefit at all.

On this day in 1979... on 21:09 - May 4 with 697 viewsjack247

On this day in 1979... on 20:52 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Right to buy only ended a couple of years ago. It was a good scheme. Why shouldn’t people who had been renting council properties for a number of years be able to get some of their money back by buying below market value.

Not sure what the score was in the 80s, but more recently, finding a deposit was the only problem for a lot of people. Using the discount in lieu of one helped a lot of people buy their own home with lower mortgage payments than they were used to in rent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024