Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Building A New Scotland 13:55 - Oct 17 with 5586 viewsSaintNick

Nicola Sturgeon has unveiled a paper outlining the economic argument for Scotland leaving the UK. Here are some of the key points she raised.

Scotland would continue to use the pound before moving to a new currency "when the time is right" and look to join the European Union

Independence offers an optimistic alternative away from what she called the failing UK economic model

The FM insisted an independent Scotland would have a stronger and fairer economy
It would have a redesigned energy market which would aim to provide secure and reliable low-cost energy

Using remaining oil revenues and borrowing powers to create a £20bn major infrastructure investment created through the Building a New Scotland Fund
Scottish independence would also open the door to Scotland joining the EU

It would free movement of people, without a passport, across the UK and Ireland, with trade borders implemented smoothly

Border arrangements would be required for trade of goods and services across the UK, but this is "not insurmountable"

She explained "proper planning" would be required to get technology in place so as ''not to disrupt trade"

However, the FM said it was "nonsense" to suggest people north of the border would need a passport to travel to England

Im not sure she has a grip on some of the realities here, Scotland would be unlikely to get into the EU, it isn't just a question of putting in an application.

Secondly she seems to want to keep all the benefits of being in the UK, but be independent, Scotland is in trouble with drugs and unemployment already and is heavily subsidised by the UK government encouraging companies to put their offices in Scotland, that would all end quickly and also technically Scotland would not be able to make their unemployment figures look better due to migration of workers South.

I don't know whether it would be a good thing or bad thing for England, I think we would gain more than we would lose, but i'm afraid Nicola Sturgeon only has one aim and that is independence for Scotland whatever the cost

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Building A New Scotland on 13:54 - Oct 19 with 971 viewshuelinsaint

Building A New Scotland on 11:44 - Oct 19 by saint68

Quite interesting that the remainers seem to wish Bonnie Scotland well in its desire for independence from a nasty foreign controlling body that doesn't listen to them ..the irony is simply astonishing.

What's better now that the UK has left the European Union? Actual concrete improvements only please
Building A New Scotland on 13:57 - Oct 19 with 967 viewsfranniesTache

Building A New Scotland on 13:54 - Oct 19 by huelinsaint

What's better now that the UK has left the European Union? Actual concrete improvements only please

Think the millbrook flyover engineering work finished post Brexit and that's definitely concrete, so that's one thing that's better.
Building A New Scotland on 15:47 - Oct 19 with 907 viewsBazza

Building A New Scotland on 13:54 - Oct 19 by huelinsaint

A good thing from Brexit -We aren’t governed by undemocratic, unelected overpaid bunch of commissioners dominated by the German/ Franco axis helped by their Irish sidekicks. When the Ukraine focus is over and remainers stop looking backwards then we can move forward, hopefully.
I’m amazed that some here can’t see the protracted mess that the eu is in particularly in the eastern areas.
Scotland cannot stand on their own prevented by the significant issues mentioned here.
Building A New Scotland on 18:01 - Oct 19 with 863 viewsgrumpy

Building A New Scotland on 15:47 - Oct 19 by Bazza

A good thing from Brexit -We aren’t governed by undemocratic, unelected overpaid bunch of commissioners dominated by the German/ Franco axis helped by their Irish sidekicks. When the Ukraine focus is over and remainers stop looking backwards then we can move forward, hopefully.
I’m amazed that some here can’t see the protracted mess that the eu is in particularly in the eastern areas.
Scotland cannot stand on their own prevented by the significant issues mentioned here.

Is this the Government that has just elected a new prime minister(The other one broke the law etc) who was voted for by a very small number of tory party members.
Very democratic that.
Building A New Scotland on 19:30 - Oct 19 with 818 viewsBazza

Building A New Scotland on 18:01 - Oct 19 by grumpy

Is this the Government that has just elected a new prime minister(The other one broke the law etc) who was voted for by a very small number of tory party members.
Very democratic that.

Well this government will be replaced whereas the EU will continue to appoint its senior politicians who consistently try to punish the UK for leaving- and have openly admitted that.
Building A New Scotland on 00:01 - Oct 20 with 772 viewshuelinsaint

Building A New Scotland on 19:30 - Oct 19 by Bazza

Well this government will be replaced whereas the EU will continue to appoint its senior politicians who consistently try to punish the UK for leaving- and have openly admitted that.

Yes,I can hear all that Daily Express s++the about unelected elites, Brexit is done,you won, get over it!But what in people's lives is actually better?
Building A New Scotland on 00:13 - Oct 20 with 770 viewsBazza

Building A New Scotland on 00:01 - Oct 20 by huelinsaint

Yes,I can hear all that Daily Express s++the about unelected elites, Brexit is done,you won, get over it!But what in people's lives is actually better?

Still waiting for Brexit to be completed, should the civil service ever allow it, or the government now run by remainers. Surprised you or anyone read the Express maybe as an alternative to the mirror or guardian. Personally I wouldn’t read any of that misleading biased trash.
Building A New Scotland on 06:44 - Oct 20 with 731 viewshuelinsaint

Building A New Scotland on 00:13 - Oct 20 by Bazza

Still waiting for Brexit to be completed, should the civil service ever allow it, or the government now run by remainers. Surprised you or anyone read the Express maybe as an alternative to the mirror or guardian. Personally I wouldn’t read any of that misleading biased trash.

Oh, it's all a remainer plot because brexit is the crock of s+++e that everyone said it was going to be.
Just admit you've been conned,they lied and you fell for it,not your fault.
Login to get fewer ads

Building A New Scotland on 06:47 - Oct 20 with 729 viewshuelinsaint

Building A New Scotland on 00:13 - Oct 20 by Bazza

What part of brexit to be completed are you waiting for?
When do you think the brexit benefits will appear?
Because quite frankly I'm getting fed up waiting
Building A New Scotland on 07:16 - Oct 20 with 719 viewsdwayne_dibley

Building A New Scotland on 06:47 - Oct 20 by huelinsaint

What part of brexit to be completed are you waiting for?
When do you think the brexit benefits will appear?
Because quite frankly I'm getting fed up waiting

does it matter as we wait for Putin to rearrange the deck chairs

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Building A New Scotland on 07:48 - Oct 20 with 710 viewssaint68

Despite the toddlers in Brussels and over in the UK trying to derail any sensible forward motion, the uk has Increaed exports to both the EU and worldwide by over £2.1 billion since Brexit...I'd imagine those companies that have increased foreign sales will number in the thousands..I'm sure they'll be looking at it in a positive light.

Meanwhile the usual pair just drip on and on.

Boohoo you couple of miserable gits.

If you want to live in a foreign country, gain citizenship and pay some taxes ..contribute.

Interestingly, last month saw the record for exports from the UK to the EU...obviously there are extenuating circumstances .but nevertheless its a fact.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2022 8:24]

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Building A New Scotland on 07:56 - Oct 20 with 700 viewsButty101

Building A New Scotland on 00:01 - Oct 20 by huelinsaint

Pretty sure this is about Scotland leaving the Uk.

Personally if wee Jimmy Krankie wants to leave let her, once she has paid a divorce settlement. Having a hard border between the countries will hurt Scotland more than the uk

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Building A New Scotland on 08:28 - Oct 20 with 682 viewsdwayne_dibley

Building A New Scotland on 07:56 - Oct 20 by Butty101

Personally if wee Jimmy Krankie wants to leave let her, once she has paid a divorce settlement. Having a hard border between the countries will hurt Scotland more than the uk

only problem with the proposed border is that it would be semi-permiable

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Building A New Scotland on 09:44 - Oct 20 with 652 viewsgrumpy

Building A New Scotland on 07:56 - Oct 20 by Butty101

UK! Not very united.
Building A New Scotland on 10:52 - Oct 20 with 624 viewsGasGiant

Building A New Scotland on 21:58 - Oct 17 by huelinsaint

I feel like I've just read a Daily Mail article on Scottish independence,the Spain Catalunya example is different because the SNP insist that their referendum be agreed with the rest of the UK, therefore being in a different state to Catalunya within Spain because the Spanish constitution refers to the "indissoluble unity of the Spanish nation”
Which is a totally different kettle of fish to an agreed referendum.
I'm sure there's plenty of wealth creators in Scotland as there are in Ireland.
Have you seen their proposed budget for after independence because I don't know what their tax rates will be,they might be like Eire and have competitive tax rates to attract business,I don't know.
Because you and a few mates will stop buying whisky and shortbread,I don't think Scotland will go bankrupt.

I'm not sure if you are using mealy mouthed words on purpose, but the latest SNP proposals for a referendum are not intended for the whole UK to vote but only permanent Scottish residents. Perhaps by "agreeing with the rest of the UK" you mean firstly getting permission from the Supreme COurt, or secondly from Parliament but either way that is not a universal plebiscite is it. However I believe a UK wide franchise would deliver the same result anyway. People in England are more concerned about ongoing subsidies to preserve the lifestyle that the Scots now assume they are paying for themselves and are somehow entitled to because of "their" oil. You comparison with Ireland is very inaccurate. If you read Irish literature for those years after the Free State right up to the 1970s you will quicklly appreciate the comparative poverty and lack of opportunities especially in rural areas . Why do you think Irish emigration continued after Independence? I do not think the Scots would trade in their current lifestyle for 50 years of hardship and a third world standard of living on the promise of an EU meal ticket. Despite the above I hope the Scots do get real independence and get it soon, but I don't like you misstating the case, especially with sneering anglophobe (ie anti Tory) subtexts and overtones.
Building A New Scotland on 11:07 - Oct 20 with 608 viewsChesham_Saint

Building A New Scotland on 21:03 - Oct 18 by huelinsaint

Wind yer neck in Tory boy.
As I said,good luck to them,they haven't got the English forelock tugitis that aflics so many in England

I wonder if you’re the sort of guy who’d say that to my face? I doubt it.

And what the fvck is Eire? The Irish don’t use that anymore.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Building A New Scotland on 11:22 - Oct 20 with 601 viewshuelinsaint

Building A New Scotland on 11:07 - Oct 20 by Chesham_Saint

I wonder if you’re the sort of guy who’d say that to my face? I doubt it.

And what the fvck is Eire? The Irish don’t use that anymore.

You told me to fvck off,what do you expect me to say,and I would say to your face if you told me to fvck off. Ireland still use the word Eire because it's the name of their country in Gaelic.
It's written on their Euro coins for god's sake
Building A New Scotland on 11:24 - Oct 20 with 599 viewshuelinsaint

Building A New Scotland on 10:52 - Oct 20 by GasGiant

I'm not sure if you are using mealy mouthed words on purpose, but the latest SNP proposals for a referendum are not intended for the whole UK to vote but only permanent Scottish residents. Perhaps by "agreeing with the rest of the UK" you mean firstly getting permission from the Supreme COurt, or secondly from Parliament but either way that is not a universal plebiscite is it. However I believe a UK wide franchise would deliver the same result anyway. People in England are more concerned about ongoing subsidies to preserve the lifestyle that the Scots now assume they are paying for themselves and are somehow entitled to because of "their" oil. You comparison with Ireland is very inaccurate. If you read Irish literature for those years after the Free State right up to the 1970s you will quicklly appreciate the comparative poverty and lack of opportunities especially in rural areas . Why do you think Irish emigration continued after Independence? I do not think the Scots would trade in their current lifestyle for 50 years of hardship and a third world standard of living on the promise of an EU meal ticket. Despite the above I hope the Scots do get real independence and get it soon, but I don't like you misstating the case, especially with sneering anglophobe (ie anti Tory) subtexts and overtones.

If you think that an independent Scotland would be like 1950s Ireland you're more deluded than I thought
Building A New Scotland on 11:30 - Oct 20 with 595 viewshuelinsaint

Building A New Scotland on 07:48 - Oct 20 by saint68

Despite the toddlers in Brussels and over in the UK trying to derail any sensible forward motion, the uk has Increaed exports to both the EU and worldwide by over £2.1 billion since Brexit...I'd imagine those companies that have increased foreign sales will number in the thousands..I'm sure they'll be looking at it in a positive light.

Meanwhile the usual pair just drip on and on.

Boohoo you couple of miserable gits.

If you want to live in a foreign country, gain citizenship and pay some taxes ..contribute.

Interestingly, last month saw the record for exports from the UK to the EU...obviously there are extenuating circumstances .but nevertheless its a fact.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2022 8:24]

Yo vivo en la unión europea,tengo residencia permanente en España,no te preocupes en mi tío.
Building A New Scotland on 12:51 - Oct 20 with 570 viewssaint68

Building A New Scotland on 11:30 - Oct 20 by huelinsaint

Yo vivo en la unión europea,tengo residencia permanente en España,no te preocupes en mi tío.

esplendido, felicitaciones...

I get you and cornish mixed up..sometimes it's like you are the same person..obviously you're the Malaga one and he's the one that left due to Brexit..

que tengas un lindo día

Building A New Scotland on 13:10 - Oct 20 with 560 viewskernow

Yes, you are confused , aren't you.
Building A New Scotland on 14:10 - Oct 20 with 536 viewsGasGiant

Building A New Scotland on 11:24 - Oct 20 by huelinsaint

If you think that an independent Scotland would be like 1950s Ireland you're more deluded than I thought

You think I'm deluded? For calling you out on factual errors? Must be a new definition nobody else uses. You drew a fallacy about the state of Ireland after its own independence and coupled it with a misunderstanding of the nature of Scotland's case versus that of Catalonia - and how you interpret as assessment of the poverty of Ireland after independence (read Joyce or FLann O'Brien if that helps) - as meaning people in Scotland will go back to listening to bakelite radios in some kind of Fifties timewarp - well that wasn't the point was it. WHat it actually means is that without the Barnett formula, a "real" independence would see Scotland fall into a recession even worse than the one looming for the UK, followed by an exodus of its finance industry to England. Add in the loss of its MoD interests in the Central Belt and you have an economy struggling to make a case for entry to the EU. If it takes Scotland as long as it took Ireland (your comparison, not mine) they have a long wait. Yes they'll get there eventually but only after a slow, dismal wait.
Building A New Scotland on 14:15 - Oct 20 with 534 viewssaint68

Building A New Scotland on 13:10 - Oct 20 by kernow

Yes, you are confused , aren't you.

What with you and our man down on the Costa Del Sol acting as a Victor Meldrew fashioned tag team its hardly surprising...you both even bite in similar fashion..funny that..anger issues hey.

Have a glorious day Cornish .

Building A New Scotland on 14:23 - Oct 20 with 529 viewskernow

Building A New Scotland on 14:15 - Oct 20 by saint68

What with you and our man down on the Costa Del Sol acting as a Victor Meldrew fashioned tag team its hardly surprising...you both even bite in similar fashion..funny that..anger issues hey.

Have a glorious day Cornish .

No anger issues her Manuel,.....I've just filled up my navel .

Victor Meldrew tag team ?
Building A New Scotland on 14:28 - Oct 20 with 526 viewssaint901

There's a curious contradiction in the whole SNP policy.

They want to be out of the United Kingdom, but in the EU.

They want independence but want to take orders from Brussels.

They don't want help from England/Wales/NI but they do want EU subsidies.

Perhaps this is about who has deeper pockets, London or Brussels?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024