Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. 08:02 - Feb 12 with 56426 viewsGruntfuttock

Never started one before...never even thought of it. But the new QPR calls for a new thread starter...I'm going 2-1 to us (not exactly a massacre, but it'll do)
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 22:59 - Feb 14 with 2164 viewsconnell10

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 22:55 - Feb 14 by numptydumpty

If we go down Connell we are not bouncing back. Be four or five years minimum down there but we seem to have a lack of identity as a club

As I say I don't know what to think anymore, that performance tonight has done me .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:26 - Feb 14 with 2045 viewsCopenhagenRs

I am on LFW - Lost For Words. Not one single player today was above average or trying to drag his teammates with him or gee up some kind of attitude. All looked completely lost. So R we all right now. A continuous Millwall meltdown is the last chance we might have now.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:37 - Feb 14 with 2006 viewsQPR_Jim

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:26 - Feb 14 by CopenhagenRs

I am on LFW - Lost For Words. Not one single player today was above average or trying to drag his teammates with him or gee up some kind of attitude. All looked completely lost. So R we all right now. A continuous Millwall meltdown is the last chance we might have now.

I noticed a distinct lack of camaraderie amongst the players, no drive to achieve a shared goal.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:41 - Feb 14 with 1992 viewsHooping_Mad

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:37 - Feb 14 by QPR_Jim

I noticed a distinct lack of camaraderie amongst the players, no drive to achieve a shared goal.

Body language was terrible.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:44 - Feb 14 with 1965 viewsthemodfather

I have not read every reply , has anyone slated Bergo yet? His poor kick started. The chaos to their goal! Do we roll the dice and try Archer ? We are still adrift so worth a try? We seemed slow or pitch was , few shots on target and no goals There’s the big story lack of fire power and poor defending and just as we looked to be ready to pounce out if the drop zone
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:51 - Feb 14 with 1935 viewsHooping_Mad

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:44 - Feb 14 by themodfather

I have not read every reply , has anyone slated Bergo yet? His poor kick started. The chaos to their goal! Do we roll the dice and try Archer ? We are still adrift so worth a try? We seemed slow or pitch was , few shots on target and no goals There’s the big story lack of fire power and poor defending and just as we looked to be ready to pounce out if the drop zone

You can't have been reading the match reports of late I'm guessing.

Tonight was a team & manager failure, but there was a number of notably bad performances.

Begovic was poor with his footwork on and off the ball, passing was often very late and he seems to have a nervous hop thing going on leaving him often wrong footed or late to adjust on corners. Both things have cost us lately.

Others will dissect the rest but it started at the back and went right through the bloody team tonight.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:56 - Feb 14 with 1903 viewsNorthernr

That was... that was quite something. To lose to a team that bad, playing that badly, with a crowd against them... you have to try really hard to accomplish that.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 00:18 - Feb 15 with 1805 viewscolinallcars

The match thread title was of course ironic, but massacre it turned out to be in terms of our avoidance of relegation.
Much has been made of the incredible support this team has had from the faithful…but surely, that's put the kybosh on it.
Login to get fewer ads

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 00:29 - Feb 15 with 1772 viewsjoolsyp

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 23:56 - Feb 14 by Northernr

That was... that was quite something. To lose to a team that bad, playing that badly, with a crowd against them... you have to try really hard to accomplish that.

Like you've said many times Clive (and I agree with you) this team and this club has developed a culture of losing over the past couple of seasons. I felt like that might start to turn around with Marti but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He has very little to work with.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 00:40 - Feb 15 with 1752 viewswombat

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 00:29 - Feb 15 by joolsyp

Like you've said many times Clive (and I agree with you) this team and this club has developed a culture of losing over the past couple of seasons. I felt like that might start to turn around with Marti but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He has very little to work with.

Just got home and as Clive said how we lost to that Stoke team baffles me , they had nothing a terrible side and we created feck all against them all game , heads were down early on well before they scored , chair poor the rest of them even worse , not sure how Frey has suddenly become our saviour getting in ahead of dykes is residuals , dykes isn’t a great finished but he’s a grafter and now he’s third choice up front , come on Marti your wrong on that front .

Only good thing about tonight was getting the flyer from the harvester car park after the game the rest utter dog shi£

Poll: which is your favouite foot

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 03:03 - Feb 15 with 1644 viewsDamo1962

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 00:18 - Feb 15 by colinallcars

The match thread title was of course ironic, but massacre it turned out to be in terms of our avoidance of relegation.
Much has been made of the incredible support this team has had from the faithful…but surely, that's put the kybosh on it.

They don't deserve the support that has been given to them.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 07:31 - Feb 15 with 1448 viewsQPunkR

Woke up this morning, smiled at the rising sun… I’m still fkn livid at the lack of desire in this kuntbag of a squad. Absolutely typified by the increasingly poor Cannon taking a full minute to take a deep free kick late on in the game when we’re supposed to be chasing. How is it we were time wasting on their behalf every fkn dead ball?? They were doing it enough, definitely didn’t need our bl00dy help ffs

QPR - "shit but local"

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:19 - Feb 15 with 1371 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The infuriating thing for me is this team shows it's capable. That first twenty minutes was all QPR.

As others have said, Armstrong met his match today and they doubled up on him on occasions too. It felt to me that they planned on Armstrong being the outlet from minute one and it didn't work out for them.

That poor reaction to adversity is a mental weakness here, and i'm sad to say that the new signings look like they have that bug too.
[Post edited 15 Feb 8:21]
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:29 - Feb 15 with 1333 viewsdm97

Feels like a nail in the coffin. We’ve won 7/32 games all year. Probably need to win at least 5/14. In danger of being a broken record having said this in multiple places but the PPG required has always been too high to realistically expect us to stay up. L1 is far more likely than not and has been since October
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:31 - Feb 15 with 1314 viewsstevec

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:19 - Feb 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

The infuriating thing for me is this team shows it's capable. That first twenty minutes was all QPR.

As others have said, Armstrong met his match today and they doubled up on him on occasions too. It felt to me that they planned on Armstrong being the outlet from minute one and it didn't work out for them.

That poor reaction to adversity is a mental weakness here, and i'm sad to say that the new signings look like they have that bug too.

There is definitely a mental weakness in this team has been for a long time.

However, we have conceded so many points from corners, look at this team sheet…

In my view there’s only one player who can defend headers and have the physical know how at corners and that’s Cook. That is criminal.

You could make a case for JCS but he’s ok one on one in the air, not so good in a crowded goalmouth.

In my opinion we need to go Dunne, Cook, JCS, Fox as the back four in away games, possibly home games as well until we are able to secure our own goal and the six in front of them try to nick a goal. It’s soul destroying for any team to continually get done at dead balls, Marti has to wake up to this or we are down.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:33 - Feb 15 with 1310 viewsRangersw12

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:31 - Feb 15 by stevec

There is definitely a mental weakness in this team has been for a long time.

However, we have conceded so many points from corners, look at this team sheet…

In my view there’s only one player who can defend headers and have the physical know how at corners and that’s Cook. That is criminal.

You could make a case for JCS but he’s ok one on one in the air, not so good in a crowded goalmouth.

In my opinion we need to go Dunne, Cook, JCS, Fox as the back four in away games, possibly home games as well until we are able to secure our own goal and the six in front of them try to nick a goal. It’s soul destroying for any team to continually get done at dead balls, Marti has to wake up to this or we are down.

Might as well give up if your going to pick Dunne and Fox
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:36 - Feb 15 with 1303 viewstraininvain

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:19 - Feb 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Agree we dominated early on and didn’t take our chances or create more opportunities with the possession we had in the final third. It felt like a real missed opportunity at the time and if we know that as fans, I’m sure it’s in the back of the minds of the players. The consistent problem with this group is they’re mentally fragile so the goal before half time was always likely to prove terminal.

The lack of composure in the second half, when we had most of the ball, is a byproduct of mental fragility. You could see the confidence draining from our players minute by minute. I suppose that’s all connected to the position we’re in and the losing mentality that’s been allowed to seep into the club over the past couple of years.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:46 - Feb 15 with 1271 viewsstevec

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:33 - Feb 15 by Rangersw12

Might as well give up if your going to pick Dunne and Fox

Well if we had any better options, fair enough, but we haven’t.

Every corner/free kick our players get pulled around like rag dolls. We have to win those battles before the ball comes in, win those and you free up other players to defend too.

It’s not like having two ball playing full backs makes a blind bit of difference to our attacking.

The sides been too small for years, especially at the back.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 10:19 - Feb 15 with 1143 viewsNed_Kennedys

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 08:36 - Feb 15 by traininvain

Agree we dominated early on and didn’t take our chances or create more opportunities with the possession we had in the final third. It felt like a real missed opportunity at the time and if we know that as fans, I’m sure it’s in the back of the minds of the players. The consistent problem with this group is they’re mentally fragile so the goal before half time was always likely to prove terminal.

The lack of composure in the second half, when we had most of the ball, is a byproduct of mental fragility. You could see the confidence draining from our players minute by minute. I suppose that’s all connected to the position we’re in and the losing mentality that’s been allowed to seep into the club over the past couple of years.

We did not dominate that game at all: we started off slightly better than a woeful Stoke and then got worse. Stoke didn’t have to play well to beat us: in fact for the last 15 minutes they dropped so deep and started panicking despite us still not providing any attacking threat at all. I bet they could not believe how bad we were.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 10:25 - Feb 15 with 1137 viewstraininvain

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 10:19 - Feb 15 by Ned_Kennedys

We did not dominate that game at all: we started off slightly better than a woeful Stoke and then got worse. Stoke didn’t have to play well to beat us: in fact for the last 15 minutes they dropped so deep and started panicking despite us still not providing any attacking threat at all. I bet they could not believe how bad we were.

We dominated early on and Smyth fluffed his lines more than once. Stoke got back into the game thereafter and the goal before half time had been coming. Second half we had more of the ball than Stoke but failed to create anything of note.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 10:44 - Feb 15 with 1092 views1JD

Some incredibly poor performances throughout. Chair playing like a kid in the playground, once again unaware there is no “I” in Team. Paal when he was finally passed too, fell over himself time and again. Corners again shocking. Cannon looking increasingly average. Hodge, despite a few passes here and there, missing for most of the game. Surprised he stayed on. Where was he meant to be playing? Didn’t look at number 10, or number 8. Also not convinced by the tactics to play exclusively to Sinclairs pace. And far too isolated up top.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 10:45 - Feb 15 with 1087 viewsBAWHoops

Genuinely one of the worst performances I've ever seen.
A team scared of their own shadow and we went the whole second half chasing the game without a shot on target!

Berger sat there and ate Hodge for dinner, we couldn't get past him. He consistently dealt with any threat down the middle. The tactics seemed to be sit deep and punt it long for Armstrong on the break.
The only way Stoke were ever going to score was from a set piece and lo and behold they did. Cook and JCS couldn't have had a more comfortable evening.

So so so frustrating as it was all there for us and we passed the opportunity up once again

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 11:23 - Feb 15 with 1006 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 10:45 - Feb 15 by BAWHoops

Genuinely one of the worst performances I've ever seen.
A team scared of their own shadow and we went the whole second half chasing the game without a shot on target!

Berger sat there and ate Hodge for dinner, we couldn't get past him. He consistently dealt with any threat down the middle. The tactics seemed to be sit deep and punt it long for Armstrong on the break.
The only way Stoke were ever going to score was from a set piece and lo and behold they did. Cook and JCS couldn't have had a more comfortable evening.

So so so frustrating as it was all there for us and we passed the opportunity up once again

Opinions eh.

Thought we were bad but far from the worst performance I’ve ever seen. We were bright in patches just ineffective.

I’d also offer some credit to Stoke‘s defending which I thought won them the game. Last ten minutes we had six attackers on the pitch and they repelled everything.
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 11:40 - Feb 15 with 960 viewsRangersw12

St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 11:23 - Feb 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Opinions eh.

Thought we were bad but far from the worst performance I’ve ever seen. We were bright in patches just ineffective.

I’d also offer some credit to Stoke‘s defending which I thought won them the game. Last ten minutes we had six attackers on the pitch and they repelled everything.

Have to agree I've seen far worse performances over the last couple of years than last night

It reminded me of the one nil defeat at Stoke under Warburton where we needed a win for our faint play off hopes.

End of the day if Smyth had scored his chances we would have won easily but I think that's it for us now .
St. Valentines Day Massacre?...Stoke City away match thread. on 11:48 - Feb 15 with 943 viewsandrew1302

I think Marti got this game wrong and didn't react to his mistake early on

1 he decided to play Armstrong's pace against their slow back line. With the midfield too deep Armstrong had no support when he was able to get hold of the ball. It was Ainsworth tactics and quite clearly they didn't work and they should of been changed after 20 minutes.

2 with a big back 5 Armstrong never had a chance and this became obvious after 10 minutes. Why wait until minute 65 to change things?

3 Stoke are a big side and we played a midfield of midgets . At corners Hodge must of been a foot shorter than the guy he was marking. No wonder we lost headers!

4 Personally i dont think the players were comfortable with the system and could not find any outlets when you have 1 guy 30 yards forward surrounded.

5 Smythe is fine until he gets within 10m of the box and then he is annoying. Messing up and slapping his side in frustration like clockwork. It is the same every time. He cant cross and he cant take chances from over 1 foot out. Wilock may lack but he can cross a ball and can shoot on target.

6 Haydon was spent by 50 minutes. Why didn't Marti change him?

7 The BBC say we had 1 shot all game. Marti saw what was happening and for the life of me i dont know why he left it so late to change personnel.

People are shouting about the team but as i said earlier i think this one was down to Marti. Schumaker read him like a book and simply set Stoke up in a way to stop us. Marti did not react and i hope today he has learnt something and apologises to the players for, in my view, getting it all wrong. And before anyone says anything i think he is great and we all make mistakes, it is just how we react to them that matters.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024