Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes 09:43 - Apr 28 with 21889 viewswessex_exile

As suggested on the matchday thread, let’s kick off the traditional summer transfer speculation. I’ll start with our current loanees. I doubt Palace would release Owen Goodman, and if they did, would we want him or even be able to afford him? Of the rest, I’d definitely like to see Alastair Smith and maybe Riley Harbottle sign if they were released. As for the rest, they’ll be heading back to make room for new choices.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:47 - Jun 26 with 983 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:51 - Jun 26 by durham_exile

RS, it is unbelievable.

Another talented footballer lost by Colchester.
Another give away.

We desperately need some signings this week.

Up the dwindling U's

Was it the Dandy or the Beano?

Desperate Dan (ny) Cowley needs a large portion of cow pie!

......anyone under the age of thirty must be wondering what the chuff I'm on about!
[Post edited 26 Jun 10:48]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:42 - Jun 26 with 939 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:47 - Jun 26 by TheOldOakTree

Was it the Dandy or the Beano?

Desperate Dan (ny) Cowley needs a large portion of cow pie!

......anyone under the age of thirty must be wondering what the chuff I'm on about!
[Post edited 26 Jun 10:48]

Begining to wish I hadn't thought of this, as it might stick!

We should be grateful for a Desperate Dan, it's better than the numerous 'Minnie the Minx' appointments we've had in the past.

He can toughen up the squad by teaching them to shave with a blowtorch (don't try that at home kids). Can you imagine nowadays, something aimed at kids where they promote hair removal using a blowlamp! The no-win-no-pay brigade would be scorching their nippers on purpose just for the compensation.

How long before Nicky is refered to as 'Dawg'.
[Post edited 26 Jun 11:45]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:50 - Jun 26 with 880 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:49 - Jun 26 by RSCOSWORTH

Chay Cooper in discussions with Braintree.

Just confirmed on Twitter that he won't be signing his new contract and will be leaving.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:48 - Jun 26 with 864 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:50 - Jun 26 by RSCOSWORTH

Just confirmed on Twitter that he won't be signing his new contract and will be leaving.

It's a long story, but one day last season I ended up in the north of England with nothing to do, so I went to watch Hartlepool v Aldershot.

I learnt several things from the experience:

a) Non-league football must be avoided at all cost, it is still complete shite.

b) The numbers of Aldershot away suppporters are absolutely incredible and put us to shame.

c) I'm now officially old, because the music over the tannoy was far too loud.

d) Looking forward to seeing Chay Cooper play, I was shocked at the groans from the pools fans when he was brought on as a sub. Sadly I don't think he's good enough at the moment. Hopefully his move will give him the chance of regular football.

e) Hartlepool doesn't get any better and I'm glad I come from Essex.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:06 - Jun 26 with 847 viewsCrashBandicoot

Perhaps this could maybe be a sign that chilvers is staying as he is similar in playing style to cooper though more experienced and with more ability.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:26 - Jun 26 with 835 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:49 - Jun 26 by RSCOSWORTH

Chay Cooper in discussions with Braintree.

Don't tell me they can pay more than us!
No wonder we can't make any signings.
A good number of lSt year's team seem to be leaving g Crawley with the latest being Will Wright who was with us a few year's ago.
[Post edited 26 Jun 15:40]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:01 - Jun 26 with 741 viewsCrashBandicoot

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:26 - Jun 26 by burnsieespana

Don't tell me they can pay more than us!
No wonder we can't make any signings.
A good number of lSt year's team seem to be leaving g Crawley with the latest being Will Wright who was with us a few year's ago.
[Post edited 26 Jun 15:40]

I wouldn't have thought that was the case but unlike us braintree seem to want to get their transfer business done quickly. They need to replace the players who have left as a number have moved on. Plus we are secretly hoping they get as many players as they need to do the double over S**t***d.

I think the cowleys are targeting certain players as they want players with the same work ethic as Anderson, though they defo need to sort the defence out and bring in a quality striker.
[Post edited 26 Jun 19:03]

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:09 - Jun 26 with 718 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:01 - Jun 26 by CrashBandicoot

I wouldn't have thought that was the case but unlike us braintree seem to want to get their transfer business done quickly. They need to replace the players who have left as a number have moved on. Plus we are secretly hoping they get as many players as they need to do the double over S**t***d.

I think the cowleys are targeting certain players as they want players with the same work ethic as Anderson, though they defo need to sort the defence out and bring in a quality striker.
[Post edited 26 Jun 19:03]

I think Chay had to make a choice between mostly bench-warming for the U's or a reasonable chance of starting at an upwardly mobile Braintree, who have done a lot of business in the transfer window already. Can blame him for his decision.

In other news, rumoured we might be in for Tom's younger brother George Lapslie. Played plenty of games for Gillingham last season, and it would be a good connection with a U's legend.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 23:20 - Jun 26 with 652 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:09 - Jun 26 by wessex_exile

I think Chay had to make a choice between mostly bench-warming for the U's or a reasonable chance of starting at an upwardly mobile Braintree, who have done a lot of business in the transfer window already. Can blame him for his decision.

In other news, rumoured we might be in for Tom's younger brother George Lapslie. Played plenty of games for Gillingham last season, and it would be a good connection with a U's legend.

George Lapslie would be a decent signing, totally agree Wessex.

However the old chestnut is we need a striker (perennial problem).

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:12 - Jun 27 with 537 viewsburnsieespana

Comments in the OM saying we were due to announce xe a sign8 g today bur player in question failed his medical.
Info seems to be originating from someone seeing DC at the Uni.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:31 - Jun 27 with 531 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Players at University of Essex for testing today. Evidently a certain Noah is not present and I don't mean the cricket loving one from on here.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:40 - Jun 27 with 525 viewsBLACKCAT

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:12 - Jun 27 by burnsieespana

Comments in the OM saying we were due to announce xe a sign8 g today bur player in question failed his medical.
Info seems to be originating from someone seeing DC at the Uni.

Does OM stand for the Official Message-board? Is it still active? I've just tried to register and it keeps asking for my email address which I've entered into the appropriate places.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:27 - Jun 27 with 430 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:31 - Jun 27 by RSCOSWORTH

Players at University of Essex for testing today. Evidently a certain Noah is not present and I don't mean the cricket loving one from on here.

Not good news in my opinion as sounds like he will be off.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:11 - Jun 27 with 411 viewsfranksic1988

I know I’m not always the cheeriest on the forum… but this is getting rather worrying now. I mean what hope has anyone got of stabilising a team or building anything. We will need half a season to gel the squad. Anyone would have thought we had been relegated and rebuilding.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:27 - Jun 27 with 406 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:31 - Jun 27 by RSCOSWORTH

May be he was at his grans funeral, or his girlfriends ultrasound, or at the palace seeing his uncle get the OBE, or he has a cold, or his car wouldn’t start, at the dentist with toothache, at the blood donors, doing jury service, I’m sure everything will be fine
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 23:07 - Jun 27 with 395 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:27 - Jun 27 by TheOldOakTree

May be he was at his grans funeral, or his girlfriends ultrasound, or at the palace seeing his uncle get the OBE, or he has a cold, or his car wouldn’t start, at the dentist with toothache, at the blood donors, doing jury service, I’m sure everything will be fine

Or flying out to join the England squad!

Noah will definitely play well for 22 games next season (all televised).

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 00:41 - Jun 28 with 385 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 23:07 - Jun 27 by durham_exile

Or flying out to join the England squad!

Noah will definitely play well for 22 games next season (all televised).

Up the U's

…or just still in Germany getting his face painted and waiting for Sunday?

It’s June, the new season kicks off in August - chill everyone

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 07:19 - Jun 28 with 366 viewsnoah4x4

Let’s be frank, Noah Chilvers is probably a player in the twice annual game of “chicken”.

1. Players out of contract won’t re-sign until the last minute, in case a better offer comes along.

2. Players targeted by the Cowleys won’t sign until Col Utd is their best (or only) offer.

3. The Cowleys are more likely to target players from lower divisions that have yet to accept an offer from their own (or other) clubs rather than sign the crap ones that have been released.

4. Players released by Championship and Division One will be the last to sign in this game of “chicken” because they won’t want to drop a division until it is their only option.

As Wessex wisely says, let’s “chill”. This game has only just started. The Cowleys allegedly have the money to stay until the end -game. Others will be making desperate signings earlier because they haven’t. It is a long transfer window, but confident players are content to ride it out. I am encouraged that Noah hasn’t signed for a higher ranked club . But how “chicken” is he…..
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:03 - Jun 28 with 316 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 07:19 - Jun 28 by noah4x4

Let’s be frank, Noah Chilvers is probably a player in the twice annual game of “chicken”.

1. Players out of contract won’t re-sign until the last minute, in case a better offer comes along.

2. Players targeted by the Cowleys won’t sign until Col Utd is their best (or only) offer.

3. The Cowleys are more likely to target players from lower divisions that have yet to accept an offer from their own (or other) clubs rather than sign the crap ones that have been released.

4. Players released by Championship and Division One will be the last to sign in this game of “chicken” because they won’t want to drop a division until it is their only option.

As Wessex wisely says, let’s “chill”. This game has only just started. The Cowleys allegedly have the money to stay until the end -game. Others will be making desperate signings earlier because they haven’t. It is a long transfer window, but confident players are content to ride it out. I am encouraged that Noah hasn’t signed for a higher ranked club . But how “chicken” is he…..

You can’t really blame Noah for taking his time. Loyalty is OK up to a point, but it’s obvious that long-term lucrative contracts are not top priority when it comes to spending cash at Col U.

What does staying at the U’s actually offer him. It’s not just the money. He’s only got a relatively short time playing professional football and realistically, the way the club is run, he’s far more likely to suffer relegation than enjoy any success. Add to that his own ‘fans’ that cannot wait to shout abuse at him because he’s not Pele.

There is no continuity at the club, it has all been destroyed. There cannot be any team spirit if every year we are selling off players to pay for the ‘facilities’, and relying on 5 loan players every season.

If he signs now, he doesn’t even know who half his team mates will be. Except that it will be a dressing room full of journeymen. I believe there’s been 8 managers since he first played and once again the nucleus of the team has been destroyed. It’s a shite way to run a football club, that not surprisingly doesn’t work and will only ever attract players that want to play for themselves not the club.

If he had bought into the Cowley dream, that must have been dented when we started the fire sale. As things stand, he must be looking at another year of struggle where a disproportionate amount of expectation will fall on his shoulders. If it doesn’t go well, once again, he will be the person the fans vent their anger on.

I hope he stays, because I think if he got to play in a good team, he could become a very good footballer, but I don’t blame him for looking at other options.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:20 - Jun 28 with 294 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:11 - Jun 27 by franksic1988

I know I’m not always the cheeriest on the forum… but this is getting rather worrying now. I mean what hope has anyone got of stabilising a team or building anything. We will need half a season to gel the squad. Anyone would have thought we had been relegated and rebuilding.

You've got a long way to go to be as negative as I've been on here over the last 20 years!....but somebody has got to counter balance Durham!

In all seriousness, I agree, it cannot be good starting the season with so many late signings and a bunch of loanees, but we are where we are and can only hope that it gels quickly. I fear that if it doesn't start well, a bunch of strangers will not have the bonding to ride through a prolonged rough patch.

If the Cowley's make a success of the coming season, from the position we are in now, then they will deserve legendary status.
[Post edited 28 Jun 10:35]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:23 - Jun 28 with 292 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:03 - Jun 28 by TheOldOakTree

You can’t really blame Noah for taking his time. Loyalty is OK up to a point, but it’s obvious that long-term lucrative contracts are not top priority when it comes to spending cash at Col U.

What does staying at the U’s actually offer him. It’s not just the money. He’s only got a relatively short time playing professional football and realistically, the way the club is run, he’s far more likely to suffer relegation than enjoy any success. Add to that his own ‘fans’ that cannot wait to shout abuse at him because he’s not Pele.

There is no continuity at the club, it has all been destroyed. There cannot be any team spirit if every year we are selling off players to pay for the ‘facilities’, and relying on 5 loan players every season.

If he signs now, he doesn’t even know who half his team mates will be. Except that it will be a dressing room full of journeymen. I believe there’s been 8 managers since he first played and once again the nucleus of the team has been destroyed. It’s a shite way to run a football club, that not surprisingly doesn’t work and will only ever attract players that want to play for themselves not the club.

If he had bought into the Cowley dream, that must have been dented when we started the fire sale. As things stand, he must be looking at another year of struggle where a disproportionate amount of expectation will fall on his shoulders. If it doesn’t go well, once again, he will be the person the fans vent their anger on.

I hope he stays, because I think if he got to play in a good team, he could become a very good footballer, but I don’t blame him for looking at other options.

Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
We can but hope the Cowley brothers stay and build something but our fickle fans will soon turn on them although it is how most clubs these days are run.
Braintree have certainly pushed the boat out this close season and Sarfend still have huge issues even though they now appear safe from going under.
All we can do at this stage is trust in DC but suspect for reasons already set out are finding it far from easy to get in the players they want.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:57 - Jun 28 with 209 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Ben Goodliffe, centre back from Sutton, is the latest rumour I've heard.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:20 - Jun 28 with 200 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:57 - Jun 28 by RSCOSWORTH

Ben Goodliffe, centre back from Sutton, is the latest rumour I've heard.

Is that the same Sutton that let in 84 goals last season?

Private Frazer, did you want to say something?
[Post edited 28 Jun 14:23]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:42 - Jun 28 with 171 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:20 - Jun 28 by TheOldOakTree

Err...maybe.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:45 - Jun 28 with 136 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:20 - Jun 28 by TheOldOakTree

Good players in shite teams are a thing - I submit Colchester United as evidence and rest my case...

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024