Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds 08:31 - Jun 20 with 1596 viewsonehunglow

Worth a discussion surely.
Cynical ploy to attract votes ?

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 14:46 - Jun 20 with 722 viewsWhiterockin

You pay 16 year old £6 an hour but want them to decide who runs the country, really.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:25 - Jun 20 with 700 viewsSullutaCreturned

Some 16 year olds are bright enough and informed enough but most aren't, more than that they don't even care. Lke so many adults aren't interested.

The Senedd did it because they know young people are more likely to be Labour voters. I'm surprised they haven't tried to put an age ceiling on voting to be honest, seeing as older people tend to move towards the right.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:35 - Jun 20 with 682 viewsWhiterockin

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:25 - Jun 20 by SullutaCreturned

Some 16 year olds are bright enough and informed enough but most aren't, more than that they don't even care. Lke so many adults aren't interested.

The Senedd did it because they know young people are more likely to be Labour voters. I'm surprised they haven't tried to put an age ceiling on voting to be honest, seeing as older people tend to move towards the right.

That's what experience does for you. Less idealism more realism.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:41 - Jun 20 with 666 viewsoldtownjack

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:35 - Jun 20 by Whiterockin

That's what experience does for you. Less idealism more realism.

It's always a difficult one to answer. There are many 16 year old who I would trust with the vote far more than some adults but there are also many who are not mature enough. However, if we still accept 16 year olds to sign up for the Army then we must also give them the right to vote. If they are old enough to fight and die for their country, then they are old enough to decide who is going to send them. As a society, we can't have it both ways.
[Post edited 20 Jun 15:43]

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:46 - Jun 20 with 650 viewsonehunglow

Party political from Strangeways within a few years for those prisoners who haven’t been released early by Yvette
Trust me
[Post edited 20 Jun 15:47]

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:54 - Jun 20 with 637 viewsSullutaCreturned

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:41 - Jun 20 by oldtownjack

It's always a difficult one to answer. There are many 16 year old who I would trust with the vote far more than some adults but there are also many who are not mature enough. However, if we still accept 16 year olds to sign up for the Army then we must also give them the right to vote. If they are old enough to fight and die for their country, then they are old enough to decide who is going to send them. As a society, we can't have it both ways.

The UK doesn't send under 18's to a front line. We'd have to be in a very shite state for that to happen, think Hitler youth in 1945 when they conscripted 12 year olds, that kind of desperate.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 16:28 - Jun 20 with 630 viewsSullutaCreturned

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:46 - Jun 20 by onehunglow

Party political from Strangeways within a few years for those prisoners who haven’t been released early by Yvette
Trust me
[Post edited 20 Jun 15:47]

In my opinion, when you break the law so much you end up in prison, you should lose the right to vote.
I think that's something that should be in the law so that people know the outcome. Saying that I know that the bleeding heart types will say we can't remove that "human right" from them no matter what they did.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 16:34 - Jun 20 with 626 viewsonehunglow

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 16:28 - Jun 20 by SullutaCreturned

In my opinion, when you break the law so much you end up in prison, you should lose the right to vote.
I think that's something that should be in the law so that people know the outcome. Saying that I know that the bleeding heart types will say we can't remove that "human right" from them no matter what they did.

It should not even be a talking point Cat
Utterly ludicrous,cynical and misguided
Plain wrong

Login to get fewer ads

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:05 - Jun 20 with 596 viewsmajorraglan

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 16:34 - Jun 20 by onehunglow

It should not even be a talking point Cat
Utterly ludicrous,cynical and misguided
Plain wrong

The number of people being sent to prison after committing an offence is very low, generally it’s the baddest of the bad. Anyone in prison doesn’t deserve the right to vote.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:07 - Jun 20 with 583 viewsonehunglow

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:05 - Jun 20 by majorraglan

The number of people being sent to prison after committing an offence is very low, generally it’s the baddest of the bad. Anyone in prison doesn’t deserve the right to vote.

I’m not disagreeing with you.

Not enough are sent to prison

Our whole society is warped

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:08 - Jun 20 with 580 viewsFlashberryjack

If you're under 18, you'll need parental consent to join the forces or get married.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:10 - Jun 20 with 578 viewsonehunglow

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:08 - Jun 20 by Flashberryjack

If you're under 18, you'll need parental consent to join the forces or get married.

Many “ parents” couldn’t be arsed

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:42 - Jun 20 with 555 viewsJumpingJackFlash

The Conservatives tried to bring in a bill to allow prisoners the vote in 2011 although the party was split on the matter.
Labour joined the Tory rebels to defeat the proposal.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 19:06 - Jun 20 with 549 viewsBoundy

They have to have their parents consent to sign on at 16

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 20:39 - Jun 20 with 510 viewsGwyn737

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 18:42 - Jun 20 by JumpingJackFlash

The Conservatives tried to bring in a bill to allow prisoners the vote in 2011 although the party was split on the matter.
Labour joined the Tory rebels to defeat the proposal.

You can join the Conservative Party at 15 and have full member voting rights, including voting for a leader.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 21:28 - Jun 20 with 481 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 20:39 - Jun 20 by Gwyn737

You can join the Conservative Party at 15 and have full member voting rights, including voting for a leader.

Maybe that explains Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak?

Two half wits chosen by the Conservative Party and not the electorate.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 22:02 - Jun 20 with 450 viewsScotia

If you're old enough to work you should be allowed to vote.

That's not to say a 16 year old should be voting, but perhaps not working in the same way an adult does and should not be in the armed forces parental consent or not.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 22:04 - Jun 20 with 450 viewsDJack

I suspect that it's an attempt to get young people interested in politics as a way of stemming the general voter apathy.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 23:12 - Jun 20 with 413 viewsJumpingJackFlash

No taxation without representation!

I wonder if anyone has thought of that before?
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 08:42 - Jun 21 with 362 viewshowenjack

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 23:12 - Jun 20 by JumpingJackFlash

The colonists of eastern America in about 1775.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 09:22 - Jun 21 with 332 viewscontroversial_jack

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 14:46 - Jun 20 by Whiterockin

You pay 16 year old £6 an hour but want them to decide who runs the country, really.

They pay national insurance and taxes so why shouldn't they have a say
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 09:24 - Jun 21 with 331 viewscontroversial_jack

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 15:54 - Jun 20 by SullutaCreturned

The UK doesn't send under 18's to a front line. We'd have to be in a very shite state for that to happen, think Hitler youth in 1945 when they conscripted 12 year olds, that kind of desperate.

They were some of the best and most fanatical ones too.More than a match for our best ones too
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 09:52 - Jun 21 with 325 viewsAnotherJohn

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 23:12 - Jun 20 by JumpingJackFlash

This argument is a bit of a stretch when you consider the 8 year olds paying VAT on their bar of chocolate.
Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 09:58 - Jun 21 with 323 viewsBoundy

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 22:02 - Jun 20 by Scotia

If you're old enough to work you should be allowed to vote.

That's not to say a 16 year old should be voting, but perhaps not working in the same way an adult does and should not be in the armed forces parental consent or not.

16 year old are protected under employment laws and under any credible risk assessment has to have control measures in place to protect them due to their age and inexperience. You don't believe they even with parental consent shouldn't be allowed to join the armed forces when it's proven that in a disciplined environment allows an individual to develop (in the majority ) a well balanced individual, did me no harm.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 10:02 - Jun 21 with 320 viewsScotia

Votes for Prisoners and 16 yr olds on 09:58 - Jun 21 by Boundy

16 year old are protected under employment laws and under any credible risk assessment has to have control measures in place to protect them due to their age and inexperience. You don't believe they even with parental consent shouldn't be allowed to join the armed forces when it's proven that in a disciplined environment allows an individual to develop (in the majority ) a well balanced individual, did me no harm.

In that case they should be allowed to vote.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024