Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any TV Techno buffs on here 19:14 - Jun 14 with 2226 viewsLblock

I'm after renewing the old flat screen

Any advice on what to get or where to search?

Currently 42", LED with HD and Freeview

May also look at a soundbar or similar.....

Advice or direction pointing gratefully recieved

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 19:43 - Jun 14 with 2197 viewsWestActon

Im in the same boat. Hoping to upgrade to a 40 or 42 inch HD flat screen but not sure about the benefits of a 50hz or 100hz etc

Sony Centre Westfields have a sale on and they yesterday had a 42inch HD Smart TV Bravia for £499 but was display model
Any TV Techno buffs on here on 20:39 - Jun 14 with 2174 viewsHantsR

I think you'll find that many TVs interpolate between frames to get an apparently higher frequency, which in turn is dependent on the source.

This explained to me when choosing between Panasonic and Samsung, which seemed to have a much higher refresh rate. I bought the Panasonic Smart TV with sound bar etc. I like it but I'm aware there's more out there for more discerning tastes.
Any TV Techno buffs on here on 20:45 - Jun 14 with 2167 viewsLblock

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 20:39 - Jun 14 by HantsR

I think you'll find that many TVs interpolate between frames to get an apparently higher frequency, which in turn is dependent on the source.

This explained to me when choosing between Panasonic and Samsung, which seemed to have a much higher refresh rate. I bought the Panasonic Smart TV with sound bar etc. I like it but I'm aware there's more out there for more discerning tastes.

Does that mean its got a right good picture?!?!?

I've got a Samsung at the moment but I can't stand looking at the logo no more (even with "1-0 twice" written underneath it)

I don't know wether to go 3D, Internet, LED or plasma etc, etc, etc

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 21:00 - Jun 14 with 2153 viewsdanehoop

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 20:45 - Jun 14 by Lblock

I've got a Samsung at the moment but I can't stand looking at the logo no more (even with "1-0 twice" written underneath it)

Went through similar process about 6 months ago and ended up with a Samsung smart TV, 40" LED 3D HD and ya de ya de. Basically I looked at Which? and John Lewis reviews to shorten my list down to 3 suppliers that I really liked the look of, Samsung, LG and Sony. Took a look at Panasonic as well, but at the time they just didn't have a model that quite ticked the boxes, which is a shame as they usually are in the mix.

Probably best thing I could say is have a look at the TV when it is running and see it in real life. So trip to John Lewis is a good idea and to Dixons/Currys if you must. But when if you have a chance then go to Richer Sounds to buy and test again if your not sure. They are usually cheapest and sales people are very impressive in non nonsense advice. You can also get sensible advice on things like soundbars as well.
http://www.richersounds.com/
John Lewis come a close second for being helpful, but you really need to visit their largest stores to ensure you get a good look at what's available. Sonycentre, occasional good deal, but generally a little expensive and original local franchise company in UK went into admin (Shasonic, who traded as Sonycentre across quite a few places in London) a few years ago which took out a number of stores. SO always a little wary of smaller suppliers.

Let me know if you want me to pull out Which? best buy recommendations as a starting point.

Never knowingly understood

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 21:07 - Jun 14 with 2143 viewsLblock

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 21:00 - Jun 14 by danehoop

Went through similar process about 6 months ago and ended up with a Samsung smart TV, 40" LED 3D HD and ya de ya de. Basically I looked at Which? and John Lewis reviews to shorten my list down to 3 suppliers that I really liked the look of, Samsung, LG and Sony. Took a look at Panasonic as well, but at the time they just didn't have a model that quite ticked the boxes, which is a shame as they usually are in the mix.

Probably best thing I could say is have a look at the TV when it is running and see it in real life. So trip to John Lewis is a good idea and to Dixons/Currys if you must. But when if you have a chance then go to Richer Sounds to buy and test again if your not sure. They are usually cheapest and sales people are very impressive in non nonsense advice. You can also get sensible advice on things like soundbars as well.
http://www.richersounds.com/
John Lewis come a close second for being helpful, but you really need to visit their largest stores to ensure you get a good look at what's available. Sonycentre, occasional good deal, but generally a little expensive and original local franchise company in UK went into admin (Shasonic, who traded as Sonycentre across quite a few places in London) a few years ago which took out a number of stores. SO always a little wary of smaller suppliers.

Let me know if you want me to pull out Which? best buy recommendations as a starting point.

Cheers -- if you have a link for those Which? reviews be grateful

I may even forgive you for nicking my avatar thingy!!!!

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 21:44 - Jun 14 with 2124 viewsTW_R

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 20:45 - Jun 14 by Lblock

It's a bit of a tricky one as it can be down to personal preference in terms of the picture you like. I bought the TV below about 2 months ago and I'm really pleased with it. I found the Samsung was too sharp. Obviously you can play around with the settings but I just found the LG was better for me personally.

If you're looking at 3D then be aware there are 2 types:- Active and Passive. The Active glasses are battery operated and they basically flicker at a very high rate. These glasses tend to be quite heavy and obviously need battery changes.

Passive glasses are the same as the ones you get in the cinema and you can actually use them both with the TV and at the cinema. That's one of the reasons I went with the LG. I wasn't that bothered about having 3D, but the kids use it a fair bit.

Don't get confused by the "LED" TVs. They are all LCDs. The LED refers to the fact that the TV is backlit which can create greater sharpness and contrast, although I really couldn't tell the difference.

The purists still say plasma is still the best picture because the dark colours have more depth to them. LCD has always struggled with the deeper colours, but nowadays it's very hard to tell the difference.

A plasma TV is heavier, so something to consider if you're wall-mounting it, and it is also less energy efficient than an LCD.

The "Smart TV" option still seems a bit gimmicky to me but the LG below comes with BBC iplayer so it really does depend on whether you're likely to use those kind of things. You can get the model below as a 42".

Hope this helps a bit.

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-47la620v-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-47-inch-with-freev
Any TV Techno buffs on here on 21:47 - Jun 14 with 2118 viewsTW_R

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 21:07 - Jun 14 by Lblock

Cheers -- if you have a link for those Which? reviews be grateful

I may even forgive you for nicking my avatar thingy!!!!

It is worth noting John Lewis give a 5 year warranty.
Any TV Techno buffs on here on 22:00 - Jun 14 with 2107 viewsted_hendrix

I wouldn't buy the Samsung for obvious reasons so I bough the LG instead which had a problem with the connection to the sound box, when I went back to John Lewis and gave them grief they said they couldn't get me an LG for at least a week so they gave me a new Samsung which If I'm honest is pretty good, 42 inch smart tele that does what the brochure says it will.
Have to say the John Lewis customer service is first class, I also have to say that the majority of what actually comes out of the screen is fcking dire.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 22:16 - Jun 14 with 2093 viewsLblock

Cheers for info all

Thing with all this searching I always end up confusing myself even more!!!

Want to upgrade to take in the wall to wall fantastic coverage of the Championship next season
Indeed

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 22:25 - Jun 14 with 2087 viewsTW_R

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 22:16 - Jun 14 by Lblock

Cheers for info all

Thing with all this searching I always end up confusing myself even more!!!

Want to upgrade to take in the wall to wall fantastic coverage of the Championship next season
Indeed

Yeah - I know what you mean. There's such a massive selection to chose from and sometimes there's very little to chose between them.

The other way to look at it is set yourself a budget and go from there.

Exactly. I just can't wait to watch the Championship highlights at midnight on Saturday nights again.
Any TV Techno buffs on here on 00:17 - Jun 15 with 2048 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

My latest is a Panasonic 42" active 3d/hd/smart plasma tv and the quality is wicked. I use the smart tv bit for Netflix etc but it's also dlna enabled for streaming wirelessly.

The 3d the only way to go is active, passive halves the picture quality, active retains full hd and the batteries last ages, and you recharge the via one of the TVs USB ports, simples. only thing is the glasses are expensive, so get whichever shop you buy the set from to give you a deal and chuck them in for free if you're buying a tv and soundbar.

Enjoy!
Any TV Techno buffs on here on 00:26 - Jun 15 with 2042 viewsWanderR

They get very technical but http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ is an excellent review site.

Current location: OX10

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 07:59 - Jun 15 with 2005 viewskingsburyR

Just a word on saving a penny or two.

Did the research on tv's for my old man. Found a 52" Panasonic smart in john Lewis for £899. After a bit of research I then looked to see if I could by it anywhere else cheaper. Found a shop in greenford that was selling it £200 cheaper. Printed the page off the web, went into John Lewis Brent Cross and they matched the price plus got their guarantee.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 11:04 - Jun 15 with 1950 viewsJuzzie

I know Samsung sponsor 'them' but they really do make good TV's. Don't let it put you off. I've had a couple and they've been really good. The old 32" CRT widescreen is still going strong and the 19" in my bedroom is excellent.

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 11:06 - Jun 15 with 1947 viewsTacticalR

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 11:04 - Jun 15 by Juzzie

I know Samsung sponsor 'them' but they really do make good TV's. Don't let it put you off. I've had a couple and they've been really good. The old 32" CRT widescreen is still going strong and the 19" in my bedroom is excellent.

'the 19" in my bedroom is excellent.'

Oo-er, missus.

Air hostess clique

Any TV Techno buffs on here on 11:15 - Jun 15 with 1942 viewsJuzzie

Well, I didn't want to brag........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024