Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! 22:33 - Jan 12 with 5028 viewsJJJack

Laudrup is undoubtedly a fine Manager with a pretty good overall record. Strange that he appears to have a blind spot when it comes to Strikers.
BONY - allegedly didn't want to sign him and doesn't rate him.
GRAHAM - sold him despite the fact he was scoring at a reasonable rate. Performances clearly weren't great admittedly.
MOORE - Bizarrely under-used and often dropped for the aberration that is Schecter. Had the best mins per goal record for the Swans in 2012-13. Sold despite this.
SCHECTER - See above, enough said
VAZQUEZ - Obviously a cheap option but a player ML wanted. Yet to score.
DONNELLY - Just one start ever, during which he did quite well IMO. Clearly not trusted as yet.
ASPAS - ML's first choice to buy this season. But has been a flop at Liverpool scoring just once against a League One side last weekend.
MICHU - Despite never having having previously played up front ML has regularly played him there even though the player doesn't like the role. Has not scored a Prem goal when played as striker this season.
LITA - Has never played under ML as far as i can remember.
LUKAKU - ML has recently admitted trying to sign him.....but then who wouldn't try and sign him if they could?!

Is this overly harsh or fair enough???
[Post edited 12 Jan 2014 22:34]
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 22:49 - Jan 12 with 2762 viewsNogginthenog

To be fair, top strikers command ridiculously high fees and wages so i suspect his hands are a bit tied. He is the manager, and a very experienced one, so i guess we have to trust his judgement to a certain degree.

I think swans are still very much a team in progress and we will eventually come good and convert more chances with the players we have.

I would be more worried about conceding soft goals to be honest.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 22:54 - Jan 12 with 2745 viewsIAN05

If Laudrup didn't want Bony, he wouldn't be here. We certainly would not have spent 12 million on him. That was a huge outlay for a club of our size and one that HJ admits he felt very uncomfortable about. Why would they bother if the manager didn't rate him
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:05 - Jan 12 with 2711 viewsHugeEnkins

Neither overly harsh nor fair. Just pointless drivel to be honest. None of us actually know what's been said or done, but we are all entitled to our opinions. For me, I'd rather just stick to the facts, but then who the f am I?
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:41 - Jan 12 with 2630 viewsJJJack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:05 - Jan 12 by HugeEnkins

Neither overly harsh nor fair. Just pointless drivel to be honest. None of us actually know what's been said or done, but we are all entitled to our opinions. For me, I'd rather just stick to the facts, but then who the f am I?

It's pointless drivel eh? That's an odd thing to say given the nature of a football forum. Imagine discussing a Manager's strengths or weaknesses. Most of what I said is factual...if not all of it. But there you go.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:49 - Jan 12 with 2600 viewstherealme

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 22:49 - Jan 12 by Nogginthenog

To be fair, top strikers command ridiculously high fees and wages so i suspect his hands are a bit tied. He is the manager, and a very experienced one, so i guess we have to trust his judgement to a certain degree.

I think swans are still very much a team in progress and we will eventually come good and convert more chances with the players we have.

I would be more worried about conceding soft goals to be honest.

'To be fair, top strikers command ridiculously high fees and wages so i suspect his hands are a bit tied.'

You don't have to spend TRILLIONS to find somebody who will do a job though do you? It's all about good scouting and that 'eye' for a player. Two example are Graham 3.5m and Lambert from Southampton, £1m is all he cost by the way.

Francesco's black and white army ⚪️⚫️

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:50 - Jan 12 with 2598 viewsjacktar

Largely b@llocks I would say JJJ.
No doubt you have a source that ML never wanted Bony here and doesn't rate him despite his 13 goals so far this season.
Graham has really set the world alight back up north with 0 goals in 12 for Sunderland and 1 in 18 league goals for Hull.
Luke Moore 's racked up 1 in 13 in Turkey this season and even Schecter has 5 in 13 at Tel Aviv, maybe we misjudged him here ;)
I'm sure Vazquez will improve with game time. Donnelly will hopefully get some opportunities but he's not going to be playing ahead of those we see on Laudrup's team sheet at the moment .
Overall I think I would prefer to go along with ML than with your good self JJJ to be honest.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:53 - Jan 12 with 2590 viewsLiam12345

don't believe him not wanting bony for one minute

Poll: Will we stay up? (if you think not why?)

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 01:07 - Jan 13 with 2520 viewsJokeren1943

Laudrup's priority this season was to get one super striker. And Laudrup got him (Bony). The club used all their money on him.

The price was having a Michu as a backup striker and loan a wild card striker.

No one knew that Michu would be injuryed much of this season.

This summer we can spent 4-5 million on a fine backup striker, and then we have Bony, good backup striker and Michu. That is more then fine.

Laudrup has done a fine job.
Login to get fewer ads

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 04:03 - Jan 13 with 2451 viewsGlyn1

"BONY - allegedly didn't want to sign him and doesn't rate him."

I've never heard anyone say either of those things.

It's true that Bony wasn't his first choice, but that doesn't mean that he didn't want him as his second or third choice. Are you saying that Bony was forced upon him by Huw Jenkins? (Serious question.) He would no doubt have preferred other people, but you work within your budget and who is available, and in fact Bony looks like he is going to be a very good deal.

GRAHAM - how many goals has he scored since he left us? What do the fans of Sunderland or Hull think of him?

Vazquez is yet to score, but he's still a kid who is adapting to the game in Britain. Definitely worth a gamble.

"MICHU - Despite never having having previously played up front ML has regularly played him there even though the player doesn't like the role. Has not scored a Prem goal when played as striker this season. " - So what? He scored over 20 goals in that position last season, so we know that he can be deadly as the main striker. He and Bony are still adapting together. Are you saying that we shouldn't have bought Michu, or that we shouldn't play him as a forward, or what exactly?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 06:49 - Jan 13 with 2399 viewsDr_Winston

It's more his preference for ignoring decent strikers to play shite ones or crowbarring a midfielder in there instead that demonstrate his issues.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 07:54 - Jan 13 with 2338 viewswaynekerr55

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:50 - Jan 12 by jacktar

Largely b@llocks I would say JJJ.
No doubt you have a source that ML never wanted Bony here and doesn't rate him despite his 13 goals so far this season.
Graham has really set the world alight back up north with 0 goals in 12 for Sunderland and 1 in 18 league goals for Hull.
Luke Moore 's racked up 1 in 13 in Turkey this season and even Schecter has 5 in 13 at Tel Aviv, maybe we misjudged him here ;)
I'm sure Vazquez will improve with game time. Donnelly will hopefully get some opportunities but he's not going to be playing ahead of those we see on Laudrup's team sheet at the moment .
Overall I think I would prefer to go along with ML than with your good self JJJ to be honest.

I could get goals in the Israeli pub league

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 08:36 - Jan 13 with 2277 viewsRancid

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 07:54 - Jan 13 by waynekerr55

I could get goals in the Israeli pub league

How can it be his Achilles heel when we signed Bony? His loanees have been dreadful but his permanent signings have been a success.Now whether Wilf was a boadroom signing is another matter.

I think during his spell in Spain Laudrup only cast his eye over midfielders and strikers were just there to support his beloved AM's.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:13 - Jan 13 with 2224 viewsShaky

What is the basis for the claim that Bony was a board signing?

I though he was on Laudrup's list albeit probably some way down (#3 or #4).

Anybody?

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:27 - Jan 13 with 2198 viewstomdickharry

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:05 - Jan 12 by HugeEnkins

Very true.The facts are we are or may be about to enter shit street.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:35 - Jan 13 with 2179 viewsperchrockjack

Vasquez will improve with game time?.
Did I just read that on here

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:39 - Jan 13 with 2169 viewsRancid

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:13 - Jan 13 by Shaky

What is the basis for the claim that Bony was a board signing?

I though he was on Laudrup's list albeit probably some way down (#3 or #4).

Anybody?

There was a stand off between How and Mikey around the time we signed him.It was Bafetimi Gomez first,he knocked us back and then we signed Bony.I'd love it he was a Huw signing but around the time Laudrup was moaning about our lack of movememnet and it was mooted around the time that Huw signed Bony to appease Laudrup and show our intentions.Can you remember laudrup saying we'd have to spend 200m plus to compete in this league.Tongue in cheel but it didn't go down well.I believe all our signings apart from the spanish lads are from JVZ and the board.Shelvey was signed through our Liverpool connections.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:49 - Jan 13 with 2155 viewsperchrockjack

We need strikers with bottle and desire. Bony is ok but at the moment he is on his own out there

Donnelly simply cannot have less than Vasquez is is simply an affront to us all

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:50 - Jan 13 with 2155 viewsShaky

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:39 - Jan 13 by Rancid

There was a stand off between How and Mikey around the time we signed him.It was Bafetimi Gomez first,he knocked us back and then we signed Bony.I'd love it he was a Huw signing but around the time Laudrup was moaning about our lack of movememnet and it was mooted around the time that Huw signed Bony to appease Laudrup and show our intentions.Can you remember laudrup saying we'd have to spend 200m plus to compete in this league.Tongue in cheel but it didn't go down well.I believe all our signings apart from the spanish lads are from JVZ and the board.Shelvey was signed through our Liverpool connections.

Thanks Rancid, but it was actually Aspas first and then Gomez.

I think there may have been one other before Bony too, but the question then becomes what was the reason for the failure to sign the higher ups (ex Aspas who have obviously gone to Liverpool before we had made a move)?

Was it because the board felt they were better judges of player potential than ML?

Misology -- It's a bitch

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:52 - Jan 13 with 2147 viewsNeath_Jack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:50 - Jan 13 by Shaky

Thanks Rancid, but it was actually Aspas first and then Gomez.

I think there may have been one other before Bony too, but the question then becomes what was the reason for the failure to sign the higher ups (ex Aspas who have obviously gone to Liverpool before we had made a move)?

Was it because the board felt they were better judges of player potential than ML?

Aye there was that chap who signed for a german side, who sticks a spiderman mask on after he scores. Hell of a name on him. Or i could be dreaming.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:57 - Jan 13 with 2128 viewsDarran

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:52 - Jan 13 by Neath_Jack

Aye there was that chap who signed for a german side, who sticks a spiderman mask on after he scores. Hell of a name on him. Or i could be dreaming.

Aubamayang.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:58 - Jan 13 with 2121 viewsNeath_Jack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:57 - Jan 13 by Darran

Aubamayang.

Aye, just googled him, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 10:05 - Jan 13 with 2105 viewsShaky

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:57 - Jan 13 by Darran

Aubamayang.

Good catch. My brain is incapable of retaining anything I couldn't start to imagine how to pronounce.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 13:04 - Jan 13 with 1915 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Every manager in the game past & present have made dud signings .
Players need time to adjust & the youngsters even more .
How Laudrup is getting stick for his signings is beyond belief .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 14:26 - Jan 13 with 1850 viewsperchrockjack

Its because they arent performing for our team.
Its because LAUDRUP has not yet acquired us of a decent back up striker which we always were going to need.
Small squads are one thing but there has to be quality.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 14:50 - Jan 13 with 1820 viewswaynekerr55

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 13:04 - Jan 13 by oh_tommy_tommy

Every manager in the game past & present have made dud signings .
Players need time to adjust & the youngsters even more .
How Laudrup is getting stick for his signings is beyond belief .

I think some of the stick stems from the fact that he's signed 2 players who aren't up to it and some may hypothesise that they've been signed more on who represents them rather than ability (well certainly in the case of Schecter anyway)

(ducks for cover)

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024