Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European cities worth visiting 14:42 - Mar 14 with 5243 viewsBluce_Ree

You lot seem well travelled. I need recommendations.

I've been to;

Paris - d*gshit, full of c*nts. Redeemed by the Eiffel Tower but only because it was in Superman II.

Rome - awesome.

Venice - awesome.

Amsterdam - aweshome.

I don't drink. I like seeing landmarks and interesting shit.

What's good?

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

European cities worth visiting on 11:58 - Mar 15 with 1255 viewsjohann28

Some places that don't get mentioned much

* Montpelier, France - really good vibe, culture, sea, the lot
* Verona, Italy - Venice without the tourists
* Strasbourg, France - Very pretty spot, canal walks etc
* Augsberg or Nuremburg, Germany - beautiful, laid-back
* Lisbon, Portugal - great 'old-fashioned' feel
* Innsbruck, Austria - one of the most beautiful cities in Europe
European cities worth visiting on 12:10 - Mar 15 with 1237 viewsqprmick

European cities worth visiting on 16:35 - Mar 14 by QPR1882

Bratislava...beer 30p a pint
Sofia....Velvet club, say no more
Krakow....worth it just to relax with the bugle player in the sq
Lodz.....best Nightclub in Europe
Amsterdam.....for obvious reasons
Germany / Belguim.....take your pick of any major city they are all great
Vienna.... Great city
San Marino.....just for the street full of wine shops that do free tastes

Avoid anywhere in Hungary, beautiful country but run by the mafia.
Avoid Romania, fck all to do there at all
Avoid France, it's full of Frenchies
Avoid Venice, the place sticks,the canals are full of shit and it's fcking expensive
Avoid Switzerland, very expensive
[Post edited 14 Mar 2014 17:11]

I like Budapest, Vienna is really nice too. Did a cruise up the Rhine=Danube, Rhine Valley beautiful. Amsterdam just look out for the bkes,a menace.

Qprmick

European cities worth visiting on 12:26 - Mar 15 with 1219 viewsMrSheen

European cities worth visiting on 11:49 - Mar 15 by BrianMcCarthy

"Where else can you buy a trousers with a pint in your hand?". Love it!

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the place, but there was a menswear store there that also had a bar that had bands playing. No trace of it on the internet sadly, but Mr Mister on the square does wedding suit hire up to 8XL - not for the groom I hope.

I loved going over the border from Tipp into town as a kid, risking being fleeced by the big city fast-talking Cork Hoors, to see the shops that doubled as pubs. Roche's on the square was my favourite, with its combination of bikes, beer and bottled gas. Only go there for funerals these days, I'm sorry to say.
European cities worth visiting on 12:48 - Mar 15 with 1200 viewsBedford_R

Not strictly in Europe but Istanbul is a city so steeped in history and culture that it requires several visits to take it all in.

RMH_R Reborn

European cities worth visiting on 13:24 - Mar 15 with 1192 viewsQPR1882

European cities worth visiting on 12:10 - Mar 15 by qprmick

I like Budapest, Vienna is really nice too. Did a cruise up the Rhine=Danube, Rhine Valley beautiful. Amsterdam just look out for the bkes,a menace.

Budapest is a beautiful city, but the only bar/club etc we found that was not run by the mafia was a jazz bar.

A mate was " asked " by a couple of heavys for £100 because he refused to buy a girl that had sat down next to him a drink, the money was for her company ?

This was in a nightclub.
European cities worth visiting on 13:49 - Mar 15 with 1183 viewsSydneyRs

In my experience:

Paris - been many times, LOVE it. Don't understand the negativity unless you never got much beyond Gare Du Nord which admittedly is a shithole. Fantastic city.

Rome - superb. History, beauty, great food, stunning women. Has it all. Found it less rude than other parts of Italy too.

Florence - also stunning but an absolute mob scene of tourists.

Naples - shithole but close to the wonderful sights of Pompeii and Vesuvius.

Amsterdam - very small. OK if you are into drugs and prostitutes. If not, then you had better like canals.

Brussels - Dull with a capital D

Berlin - worth a visit, great history.

Warsaw - pretty dull when I went a long time ago although has probably improved since then.

Edinburgh - I'm sure many English have never been but it is well worth a visit. Go in summer...

Glasgow - Edinburgh's not quite as good looking much a much better laugh sister.
European cities worth visiting on 09:29 - Mar 16 with 1125 viewsRamseyR

Dubrovnik in Croatia

Direct flights/cheap local bus transfer from airport
Lots of old history
Recent conflict history
World heritage sight - great rampart walk around the old town/views to sea etc
Great weather
Busy during day/quiet at night when the cruise ships have left
Local beaches if you fancy chillin'

Would also recommend Edinburgh in the summer as per earlier poster, and the perennial favourite Barcelona
European cities worth visiting on 09:41 - Mar 16 with 1121 viewsAntti_Heinola

Florence is the most beautiful city I've ever seen - just edging Venice even. Incredible place.
Budapest is lovely.
Prague is great - but that was 20 years ago i went there now!
I really liked Valencia, actually, just a lovely place.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

European cities worth visiting on 19:51 - Mar 16 with 1054 viewsTW_R

European cities worth visiting on 09:41 - Mar 16 by Antti_Heinola

Florence is the most beautiful city I've ever seen - just edging Venice even. Incredible place.
Budapest is lovely.
Prague is great - but that was 20 years ago i went there now!
I really liked Valencia, actually, just a lovely place.

I'd recommend Florence too. Beautiful place, great food and great location to travel out to some beautiful towns such as Siena and Lucca. You can get to Pisa too, but that place is awful. Worth spending half a day there maybe.
European cities worth visiting on 20:12 - Mar 16 with 1044 viewsNathanNI

Think every city in Europe covered here so far.

I'd add votes for...

Talinn, Copenhagen, Lucca, Prague, Florence, Brugge.

On my todo list are.

Berlin, Stockholm & Seville.
European cities worth visiting on 20:36 - Mar 16 with 1030 viewssmegma

European cities worth visiting on 12:26 - Mar 15 by MrSheen

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the place, but there was a menswear store there that also had a bar that had bands playing. No trace of it on the internet sadly, but Mr Mister on the square does wedding suit hire up to 8XL - not for the groom I hope.

I loved going over the border from Tipp into town as a kid, risking being fleeced by the big city fast-talking Cork Hoors, to see the shops that doubled as pubs. Roche's on the square was my favourite, with its combination of bikes, beer and bottled gas. Only go there for funerals these days, I'm sorry to say.

Even more weird than a Vietnamese restaurant I went to in Amsterdams red light area. Although the food was superb, the place doubled up as a womens hairdressers !!!! So while we were munching on fish head soup some woman was having her barnet sorted out about 10 yards away. Fortunately there was no hair in my fish head soup.
European cities worth visiting on 20:48 - Mar 16 with 1021 viewsHunterhoop

European cities worth visiting on 19:51 - Mar 16 by TW_R

I'd recommend Florence too. Beautiful place, great food and great location to travel out to some beautiful towns such as Siena and Lucca. You can get to Pisa too, but that place is awful. Worth spending half a day there maybe.

This.

Florence and then Berlin are my favourite places in Europe.

Think Rome is a tad overrated. Florence is so much more beautiful and, if you're interested in the Renaissance, better than Rome or Venice.

Sienna nearby is fantastically nice too.

Go off season to avoid the tourists.

Berlin has a great vibe as others have said. There is also so much to see and do.
European cities worth visiting on 21:19 - Mar 16 with 1001 viewsMedwayR

Personally I have a soft spot for Madrid, but I'd recommend Barcelona for a touristy weekend. Florence, Valencia & Bilbao are all good too.

Poll: Who’s better?

European cities worth visiting on 07:07 - Mar 17 with 955 viewsFearless

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions here really

But if you have a small fortune to spend, and want to go to europes most northerly capital city, Reykjavik us stunning (as a base to see the country)

(Other than that Dubrovnik, Rome and Hamburg get extra vote from me)
[Post edited 17 Mar 2014 7:26]
European cities worth visiting on 09:22 - Mar 17 with 925 viewsdanehoop

European cities worth visiting on 10:32 - Mar 15 by BlackCrowe

Copenhagen.

Agree with this one. Having lived there in the early 90's and then mid 2000's it is a great place to visit. Easy to get around, not as expensive as you'd think and lots to do and see. Great in summer in particular. Stockhom also drops into a similar bracket for me, beautiful place and in the summer just a great place to be.

Never knowingly understood

European cities worth visiting on 09:37 - Mar 17 with 916 viewsHantsR

European cities worth visiting on 10:32 - Mar 15 by BlackCrowe

Copenhagen.

In my youth I was told it was wonderful, wonderful, friendly old girl of the town...but having assiduously watched Borgen, The Bridge, the Killing etc. I am convinced the sun never shines, women wear dodgy pullovers, murders abound and people always need a torch to enter any building as there appear to be few electric lights working.
European cities worth visiting on 10:12 - Mar 17 with 908 viewsdanehoop

European cities worth visiting on 09:37 - Mar 17 by HantsR

In my youth I was told it was wonderful, wonderful, friendly old girl of the town...but having assiduously watched Borgen, The Bridge, the Killing etc. I am convinced the sun never shines, women wear dodgy pullovers, murders abound and people always need a torch to enter any building as there appear to be few electric lights working.

I think youll find that's Hackney.

Never knowingly understood

European cities worth visiting on 10:17 - Mar 17 with 903 viewsgordanoR

Avoid Moscow as others have said, aside from Red Square it's a dull, miserable place with people to match.

Bruges is good too but as you don't drink then it's probably a bit limited for things to do.
European cities worth visiting on 10:40 - Mar 17 with 894 views1MoreBrightonR

Plus one on Krakow. Beautiful city, cheap and fascinating history.... Even if it is a bit depressing
European cities worth visiting on 11:07 - Mar 17 with 874 viewsSuffolkHoop

1. Budapest
2. Berlin
3. Krakow
European cities worth visiting on 22:56 - Mar 17 with 800 viewsderbyhoop

Unmentioned
Sienna in Italy - especially for the Palio (round city horse race)
Brugge
Poitiers

Dublin, Amsterdam, Montpelier, Barcelona already mentioned.
Parisians are notoriously grumpy but, if you can speak a bit of Frrench, they'll warm to you. Try Montparnasse and La Rive Gauche.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

European cities worth visiting on 08:57 - Mar 18 with 782 viewsKonk

When do you want to go and how long do you want to go for? I’m quite partial to going away for 4-5-6 days and visiting a couple of places and travelling by train between them.

If you’re not drinking and just there for sight-seeing/eating then I think all of the above would keep you entertained and could be done either on their own or together as a single trip:

Istanbul
Berlin
Munich/Salzburg
Madrid/Segovia/Toledo
Valencia/Barcelona
Seville/Cordoba
Bilbao/San Sebastian
Montpelier/Toulouse/Perpignan
Lisbon/Porto
Amsterdam/Utrecht
Bruges/Ghent/Antwerp
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Reykjavik — but mainly for day trips outside the city
Vienna/Budapest/Prague
Krakow
Florence/Sienna
Bologna
Verona/Padua
Sarajevo/Mostar
Athens

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

European cities worth visiting on 09:33 - Mar 18 with 765 viewscoolranger

I'll keep it simple and choose ONE - LISBON.

Beautiful city, manageable size. Steeped in history, cobbled streets, Sao Jorge castle, built on a river and looking out over the Atlantic. Friendly locals. Local trains take you out towards Cascais and Estoril within 30 mins.

If you fancy a football game go to Benfica and the Estadio do Luz, or try Sporting Lisbon.

Many great cities across Europe, and I've been lucky enough to visit a number of them. But Lisbon was a very pleasant surprise. Highly recommended.
European cities worth visiting on 11:09 - Mar 18 with 742 viewshovehoop

European cities worth visiting on 11:27 - Mar 15 by MrSheen

Cork more exciting than Berlin or Munich - OFFICIAL

Come on Irish lads, where do the great capitals of Europe rank against Mitchelstown?

While I'm on, a vote for a soon-to-be-foreign capital, maybe. Edinburgh's a stunning place, easily a match for Dublin (but not Cork, obviously).

Funnily enough, will be visiting Michelstown this weekend for a family wedding in nearby Kildorrery. My wife's family came from there. I love visiting. It's a beautiful part of the world. Used to take my kids a lot when younger and I remember the look on my boys face disovering potatoes came out of the ground. By the time our host realised what was going on it was too late, he'd already dug enough spuds to feed the 5000! I know what you mean about returning these days for funerals so going for a wedding will be a lovely change.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024