Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meeting with the club 13:26 - Jul 2 with 5309 viewsColDale

http://daletrust.com/news/?p=1575
Meeting with the club on 15:29 - Jul 3 with 1688 views442Dale

Think fans and organisations like Trusts/Supporters Clubs can get a bit distracted by the whole money raising issue. If they're concentrating on working with clubs and representing supporters the money is raised by ongoing work - the Dale Trust have done this very well with the events that have been put on over the years. I'd think people don't attend those with the sole intention of raising money for something but they've no problem with that happening.

Making fans feel part of their club can be a bigger thing than raising money for the club or charity or whatever. If by supporters having input through a Trust/Supporters Club they can help a football club improve and raise income in other areas, then that's just as valuable as a raising money at an event that would then go towards a specific project at that club.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Meeting with the club on 15:47 - Jul 3 with 1644 viewsD_Alien

Meeting with the club on 15:29 - Jul 3 by 442Dale

Think fans and organisations like Trusts/Supporters Clubs can get a bit distracted by the whole money raising issue. If they're concentrating on working with clubs and representing supporters the money is raised by ongoing work - the Dale Trust have done this very well with the events that have been put on over the years. I'd think people don't attend those with the sole intention of raising money for something but they've no problem with that happening.

Making fans feel part of their club can be a bigger thing than raising money for the club or charity or whatever. If by supporters having input through a Trust/Supporters Club they can help a football club improve and raise income in other areas, then that's just as valuable as a raising money at an event that would then go towards a specific project at that club.

A very valid point, but it appears that money talks and "having input" comes about through putting cash on the table.

Does anyone think the club would be taking any notice of the Trust without that input?

That in itself raises the chances of the Trust becoming focused on fundraising - a bit of a vicious circle really.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Meeting with the club on 16:12 - Jul 3 with 1610 viewsTalkingSutty

Meeting with the club on 15:47 - Jul 3 by D_Alien

A very valid point, but it appears that money talks and "having input" comes about through putting cash on the table.

Does anyone think the club would be taking any notice of the Trust without that input?

That in itself raises the chances of the Trust becoming focused on fundraising - a bit of a vicious circle really.

One thing that as come out of this thread is that Trust members have a choice whether they want to support a certain project or not. If it is made clear to supporters as to were any monies raised are being directed then that's the main thing. Raising money for the club needs to always be the overwhelming priority, otherwise the Trust becomes defunct fans might as well just donate money directly to their chosen charity.
Meeting with the club on 16:23 - Jul 3 with 1586 viewsSuddenLad

Meeting with the club on 15:47 - Jul 3 by D_Alien

Indeed, almost 'buying influence' in a sense.

The crux of the matter is that when people donate or raise money by whatever means it is imperative that they know EXACTLY where that money will end up. Not necessarily which specific scheme (floodlights, FITC etc.) but whether the money will be used for RAFC or for 'other charitable purposes'.

Personally, I can't see how spending £3,000 on a second-hand van to allow the groundsman to effectively 'do a foreigner', is beneficial to RAFC. Nor do I think that members would accept that as being a worthy cause for donations. (Only my opinion of course).

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Meeting with the club on 16:52 - Jul 3 with 1539 views49thseason

Meeting with the club on 16:23 - Jul 3 by SuddenLad

Indeed, almost 'buying influence' in a sense.

The crux of the matter is that when people donate or raise money by whatever means it is imperative that they know EXACTLY where that money will end up. Not necessarily which specific scheme (floodlights, FITC etc.) but whether the money will be used for RAFC or for 'other charitable purposes'.

Personally, I can't see how spending £3,000 on a second-hand van to allow the groundsman to effectively 'do a foreigner', is beneficial to RAFC. Nor do I think that members would accept that as being a worthy cause for donations. (Only my opinion of course).

The" foreigner" you refer to is the looking after two large, flat, grassed pitches which are used by 1st team squad and youth players on a fairly regular basis. As far as I know, no money changes hands for the use of the two Lacrosse pitches and "payment" is made through their upkeep throughout the Football and Lacrossse seasons and making ready for pre-season. I don't think "foreigner" is in any way an apt description of this arrangement because A) the club derives benefit and is fully cognisant B) the arrangement seems to suit both parties and probably saves RAFC money. If you would prefer RAFC to pay for the facility rather than the above arrangement, I have no doubt the Lacrosse Club would be pleased to suggest a suitable fee.
Meeting with the club on 16:58 - Jul 3 with 1530 viewsSuddenLad

Meeting with the club on 16:52 - Jul 3 by 49thseason

The" foreigner" you refer to is the looking after two large, flat, grassed pitches which are used by 1st team squad and youth players on a fairly regular basis. As far as I know, no money changes hands for the use of the two Lacrosse pitches and "payment" is made through their upkeep throughout the Football and Lacrossse seasons and making ready for pre-season. I don't think "foreigner" is in any way an apt description of this arrangement because A) the club derives benefit and is fully cognisant B) the arrangement seems to suit both parties and probably saves RAFC money. If you would prefer RAFC to pay for the facility rather than the above arrangement, I have no doubt the Lacrosse Club would be pleased to suggest a suitable fee.

That's fair enough but the earlier post suggested that the lacrosse pitches were the focus of his attention.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Meeting with the club on 17:06 - Jul 3 with 1513 viewsarchdale

Meeting with the club on 16:52 - Jul 3 by 49thseason

This is exactly what is happening. The manager wants to use the lacrosse pitches and he insists that they are maintained to the standard he requires. The Football Club is not charged any rent but in exchange for using them (quite often, as it happens) they maintain them.
The alternative for the club would probably involve travelling and a lot more expense. I guess that a van for the groundsman would be useful for him for transporting any equipment and thus would benefit the Football Club
Meeting with the club on 18:40 - Jul 3 with 1456 viewsTalkingSutty

Meeting with the club on 17:06 - Jul 3 by archdale

This is exactly what is happening. The manager wants to use the lacrosse pitches and he insists that they are maintained to the standard he requires. The Football Club is not charged any rent but in exchange for using them (quite often, as it happens) they maintain them.
The alternative for the club would probably involve travelling and a lot more expense. I guess that a van for the groundsman would be useful for him for transporting any equipment and thus would benefit the Football Club

A 3 grand van would be worth half the amount in twelve months time. I am sure the club can scramble together enough for a second hand van. Its nice when supporters can see the fruits of their fund raising efforts and the enhanced lighting at night games will be something that benfits everybody. The most democratic way is to vote on projects, i will quite happily fall into line with the majority.
Login to get fewer ads

Meeting with the club on 18:45 - Jul 3 with 1451 viewsisitme

Meeting with the club on 18:40 - Jul 3 by TalkingSutty

A 3 grand van would be worth half the amount in twelve months time. I am sure the club can scramble together enough for a second hand van. Its nice when supporters can see the fruits of their fund raising efforts and the enhanced lighting at night games will be something that benfits everybody. The most democratic way is to vote on projects, i will quite happily fall into line with the majority.

I hope you wont waste £1000 of trust/our money if you don't get your own way though!
Meeting with the club on 20:01 - Jul 3 with 1391 views442Dale

There at least appears to be a bit more info in this thread about the training situation, but I still think Chaff's idea has got legs. Is it too late to look at a bit of a makeover this summer?

Meeting with the club on 20:13 - Jul 3 with 1377 viewsColDale

Meeting with the club on 20:01 - Jul 3 by 442Dale

There at least appears to be a bit more info in this thread about the training situation, but I still think Chaff's idea has got legs. Is it too late to look at a bit of a makeover this summer?

would it not be better to get a few volunteers down with a few brushes? The bits that can be painted wouldn't take long to do.
Meeting with the club on 20:24 - Jul 3 with 1364 views442Dale

Meeting with the club on 20:13 - Jul 3 by ColDale

would it not be better to get a few volunteers down with a few brushes? The bits that can be painted wouldn't take long to do.

Definitely. Didn't mean splash out and get massive quotes from decorators, more fund the paint and anything else that might be needed equipment wise. It's that feeling of being involved again, I'm sure there would be a few willing to help out at the start of the summer holidays.

Inside the ground too, is there still an issue around seats being a mess cos of birds? They're fine in the main stand, but we only get respectful peregrine falcons in there.

Meeting with the club on 20:29 - Jul 3 with 1353 viewsTalkingSutty

Meeting with the club on 20:13 - Jul 3 by ColDale

That's what we used to do in the late 70s/early 80s on Sunday mornings. The problem now is the health and safety issue and I would be surprised if the club just let volunteers start climbing ladders to paint etc. Some of the shabby areas visible from the road are quite high up from what I can remember, the area at the back of the Sandy Lane stand used to be overgrown with weeds etc , I don't know if it still is.
Meeting with the club on 20:31 - Jul 3 with 1348 viewsTalkingSutty

Meeting with the club on 20:24 - Jul 3 by 442Dale

Definitely. Didn't mean splash out and get massive quotes from decorators, more fund the paint and anything else that might be needed equipment wise. It's that feeling of being involved again, I'm sure there would be a few willing to help out at the start of the summer holidays.

Inside the ground too, is there still an issue around seats being a mess cos of birds? They're fine in the main stand, but we only get respectful peregrine falcons in there.

You forgot the old annoying crows!!
Meeting with the club on 22:52 - Jul 3 with 1289 viewsMoonyDale

Meeting with the club on 20:31 - Jul 3 by TalkingSutty

You forgot the old annoying crows!!

Buzzards TS..

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Meeting with the club on 23:04 - Jul 3 with 1272 viewsD_Alien

Meeting with the club on 22:52 - Jul 3 by MoonyDale

Buzzards TS..

Is that great bustard still there?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Meeting with the club on 23:55 - Jul 3 with 1234 viewsSwissdale

I don't really understand the negative sentiment towards spending 3k on a van. So what if it's to help out the pitches at the lacrosse club? If this is a facility that we use on a regular basis, how is this any different from the groundsman spending time on the upkeep of our own training ground? If a local club are offering the use of their pitch FOR FREE, the least we can do is help with its upkeep. Or shall we go back to the dark old days of ringing up local schools each day to see if we can use their dog-shit covered pitches?

Furthermore, it's not like we are donating a van. It would still be property of Rochdale AFC, appear on the balance sheet as an asset, and maybe used for other purposes.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2014 23:57]
Meeting with the club on 07:45 - Jul 4 with 1172 viewsDorsetDale

Meeting with the club on 20:29 - Jul 3 by TalkingSutty

That's what we used to do in the late 70s/early 80s on Sunday mornings. The problem now is the health and safety issue and I would be surprised if the club just let volunteers start climbing ladders to paint etc. Some of the shabby areas visible from the road are quite high up from what I can remember, the area at the back of the Sandy Lane stand used to be overgrown with weeds etc , I don't know if it still is.

If volunteers can be found to paint I'm sure someone could be found to lend some mobile scaffolding etc..

Mt main concern would be letting a bunch of keen, enthusiastic, 14 year olds loose with a few brushes that have never held one before. Could end up looking worse than it already does.... however, with a little organisation and supervision, don't see a problem.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Meeting with the club on 08:10 - Jul 4 with 1152 viewsTalkingSutty

Meeting with the club on 07:45 - Jul 4 by DorsetDale

If volunteers can be found to paint I'm sure someone could be found to lend some mobile scaffolding etc..

Mt main concern would be letting a bunch of keen, enthusiastic, 14 year olds loose with a few brushes that have never held one before. Could end up looking worse than it already does.... however, with a little organisation and supervision, don't see a problem.

Its a good idea but the club wont be insured to give volunteers permission to start using mobile scaffolding/ladders etc i am pretty sure of that.
Rather than doing a botch job it would be better long term to get it done properly and get a few quotes. The stumbling block is once again the Football Club and supporters are again funding the upkeep of the shared stadium.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Meeting with the club on 09:21 - Jul 4 with 1116 viewsChaffRAFC

Meeting with the club on 08:10 - Jul 4 by TalkingSutty

Its a good idea but the club wont be insured to give volunteers permission to start using mobile scaffolding/ladders etc i am pretty sure of that.
Rather than doing a botch job it would be better long term to get it done properly and get a few quotes. The stumbling block is once again the Football Club and supporters are again funding the upkeep of the shared stadium.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I'm with you on this mate. There's no way that the club would be insured for supporters doing the job when it comes to scaffolding and ladders etc. I'd rather money went to professionals doing the job with supporters doing other jobs perhaps, like railings or doors etc.

But, it definitely needs doing.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Meeting with the club on 10:16 - Jul 4 with 1084 viewselectricblue

The trust do an excellent job raising money through out the season and if its benefits charities associated with RAFC thats good club PR...
But with regards to a used van etc....have the club not just recently come into money from the sell on of Lambert and LaFondre..!
If so they can use that.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Meeting with the club on 12:32 - Jul 4 with 1041 viewsColDale

I suppose the argument is would you rather any money that came into the club went to doing repairs or strengthening the first team.

I'm afraid I'd left by the time the van bit was discussed. At a push (and I'll get more details post Tenerife), if by acquiring a van, this allows us to maintain the Lacrosse pitches to the same standard as the Spotland pitch. The benefits of that are we have better training facilities and if it has less impact on the Lacrosse pitch, we may be able to use it more often.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024