Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music tastes and why? 13:28 - Oct 12 with 18517 viewsW13R

As you can see I'm new to this board but the Frankie Knuckles thread has great interest to me for many reasons being ongoing and past memories and actions.

Now what I would like to know is why you like, love or have an interest in your genre.
This could include many reasons, radio, clubs, bars, gigs, venues, people, friends, family etc.

The main one for me would be growing up in Northfields with Magnum Records shop backing onto my bedroom so had an education in Soul, Lovers Rock & Reggae from an early age.

Anyway over to you ladies & gents for your input.
Music tastes and why? on 18:54 - Sep 13 with 2366 viewsStevenageRanger

Music tastes and why? on 12:52 - Sep 13 by Mick_S

Bentley's was by the canal in West Drayton - it used to have a train set suspended from the ceiling that had a dildo strapped to the engine and guess what? The train used to go into a tunnel. Stop it mate, my sides etc.

Got into soul, and jazz funk around the age of 18 after my mate introduced us to Maze. We all went away that summer to Benitses in Corfu and spent every night in a club called Paradise that played the stuff you would only hear on pirate Solar/Horizon etc, which was very unusual for a place in Greece. That cemented it, Saturdays were for record hunting and football. I still don't get on with the majority of other stuff which I know is a very narrow view. Very much enjoy Greg Edwards show on Mi-Soul - Sunday afternoon.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 15:45]

I had the pleasure of DJing with Greg Edwards a few years back. Real gent.

See Maze twice now, both amazing gigs.
Music tastes and why? on 19:35 - Sep 13 with 2334 views2Thomas2Bowles

Too much and too many to name but I think the last 5 years or so has produced nothing but shite mainstream.

Can't name one song that stands out or remember who sung what.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 22:57]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Music tastes and why? on 14:39 - Sep 15 with 2221 viewswestberksr

Holy thread resurrection!

Nice to see this revived

Still into predominately, soul, funk, jazz, house, blues, some MOR stuff and currently doing about 40+ gigs, 3 festivals, several all day/night house events each year. Ranging from new up & coming to 'might die soon, best see them now'.

Missed us beat the pikeys as preoccupied with Defected festival for 12,000 househeads in Essex.
Music tastes and why? on 15:23 - Sep 15 with 2213 viewscolinallcars

Music tastes and why? on 14:39 - Sep 15 by westberksr

Holy thread resurrection!

Nice to see this revived

Still into predominately, soul, funk, jazz, house, blues, some MOR stuff and currently doing about 40+ gigs, 3 festivals, several all day/night house events each year. Ranging from new up & coming to 'might die soon, best see them now'.

Missed us beat the pikeys as preoccupied with Defected festival for 12,000 househeads in Essex.

I've largely forgotten the gigs I went to in my yoof, but the very first one sticks in my memory. I'd only ever heard music through my four watt Dansette record player. Suddenly, I was in the front row at the Marquee listening to John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton - thunderous drums, crashing cymbals, Clapton's thick Les Paul sound coming through 100 watt Marshall amp. I was dazed and remained so for a while. Now, in my dotage, I have tinnitus and listen mostly to jazz at home.
Music tastes and why? on 16:09 - Sep 15 with 2199 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Well while Dad was very much Andy Stewart and Jimmy Shand Scots, and mum was mainstream show tune stuff, it was my Uncle who was the influencer.
He was a jazz nut who had a huge collection of lps cutting across all sorts of sub genres. The one thing he told me that stuck was "listen to everything, never close your ears to anything, if at the end it's not for you that's fine but remember someone put effort into creating it."
I think it was when I went to secondary school, Quintin way up in the North of the Borough, compared with Queens Park where we were living, that horizons were somewhat expanded. From Sunday all dayers at the Roundhouse (everything from Hawkwind to Rory Gallagher). Mixing with the posh kids drew in all their influences. I remember some god like guitar playing emanating from one of the classrooms one lunchtime. I popped my head round the door and said "what the fook is that" "Albert King" replied the young Gary Grainger. Went on to a decent career as Rod Stewart's guitarist did Gary.
There was a bunch of us that would buy Melody Maker uptown on a Wednesday and scour the gig listing.
I was lucky, living on the Queens Park estate, a quick No 6 down to Oxford Street and there you were at the Marquee or 100 Club. I think I was 15 when I had my first Marquee membership. Fantastic night's of absolute obscurities (Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts) to the joyous Average White Band, Robin Tower and so many others.
Thereafter its all been a bit of a blur, with changing backgrounds and tastes of the masses. Still feel that a proper gig has to be a small venue, so more frequently it's catch bands on the way up, they move from Shepherds Bush Empire to the damnable O2 far too quickly. Have to say I have sneaked into Under The Bridge for some great shows. Either their booker is very well connected or Roman is a blues fan.
Just such a shame that licencing has changed so much that the breadth of venues is no longer there for promoting the breadth of genres.
Nevertheless, never close your ears, be eclectic.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 17:40]
Music tastes and why? on 00:52 - Sep 16 with 2130 viewsqueensparker

Music tastes and why? on 18:02 - Sep 13 by PunteR

Blimey this thread is 5 years old!. Great thread to read back. Nice to see the usual suspects on here. :)

Miss BrixtonR. Hasn't posted for a while . Hope your ok fella if your lurking.

Haha I was reading the whole thread and about to post then realised I'd done it five years ago.

Stand by what I said back then though, the Rangers manor was/is such a great place to grow up for music. It's in our blood - the Marshall amp was invented in Hanwell, the Pet Shop Boys were named after a shop in Ealing, Pete Townshend went to primary school with my uncle Henry in Acton, two of the Sex Pistols grew up on the White City estate, these days Grove boy AJ Tracey is IMO the best London rapper, the Stones came up in Richmond, The Clash, The Libertines, Jamiroquai, Nicky Blackmarket, f--king brilliant place to grow up.

I've got youngsters now and not much money but music is one of the reasons I'm determined to try and hang on and bring them up in west London and not bail to the countryside like everyone else is being forced to. It's not easy but growing up round here was brilliant and I want that outlook and input for my kids
Music tastes and why? on 01:21 - Sep 16 with 2116 viewstimcocking

Well, there wouldn't really be any genre that hasn't had at least some good music, hence the fact i'd never come close to naming a specific genre. I tend to like a lot of angry music because it helps me push harder in the gym.

Music tastes and why? on 09:34 - Sep 16 with 2052 viewsPommyhoop

Just because,!,!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Login to get fewer ads

Music tastes and why? on 04:21 - May 23 with 1704 viewsFredManRave

Music tastes and why? on 03:41 - Oct 15 by FredManRave

Was very much into ska music, first and foremost, as a teen and then progressed onto more rock and punk derivatives. And then, as seems to have happened with several on here, I got hit by House music when in my 20's. In the last decade I've listened to very little music but I honestly don't feel like I've been missing too much.

I've only recently started using Spotify and it's been great to listen to all that great music from the 80's and all the great house music (many memories thanks to the Frankie Fred as well!) and I'm now trying to find my present day groove.

As to why, well it's a difficult question to answer imo. Obviously what your parents played will have had an influence over the early part of your musical intake although I'm sure the vast majority went off on their own tangent. So how much of a role do your parents play in your musical tastes and how much is it just down to your genes?

Personally, I've always listened to music that moved me, literally. From ska, 80's 90's rock/punk to happy house and now as a parent I'm trying to at least expose my two young boys to different styles of music as I think it's important for any child to listen to and enjoy music from an early age. At the moment my eldest (7) is into Queen and Michael Jadckson and we literally spent last night looking at old Jackson 5 videos on youtube. Man that boy could sing and dance. But I'm sure they'll both end up listening to music which I'll insist sounds like a racket. And I don't even want to think about what they'll be wearing, their hairstyle and the piercings they'll have when their older...
[Post edited 15 Oct 2014 3:51]

Found this while digging for the original Frankie Thread! A great read that's also almost 7 years old.

Personally, it's amazing just how much my music taste has progressed over the last 7 years.
The Frankie thread has obviously played a major part and my main progression has been into Disco and Funk (Shout out to the WestBerks Influencer!) that I'd never really listened to or really even paid much attention to before but now I can't get enough of the groovy stuff!

I still love the old school obviously. Nobody can take that music and those times away but it's been great to Disco step out of that one track time machine I was in and update and educate myself on new genres with choons from way back when up to recent times.

Oh, and welcome W13!

[Post edited 23 May 2021 4:41]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Music tastes and why? on 01:38 - May 24 with 1576 viewsPunteR

What a great thread. Really enjoyed reading this back.

What happened to Toast R though ? He used to post loads on here.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Music tastes and why? on 13:06 - May 24 with 1472 viewsAlex12302

I love power metal, industrial metal for the energy, for the pressure, for the presentation, but how can you not like this kind of music? Heavy metal is a classic of rock, what he sang, heard in films, what he grew up on.
Regarding the negative attitude towards rock - it all depends on the people. All music has fans who spoil the attitude towards it. Whatever one may say, there are millions of degenerates spoiled by pop music, and millions of people, whose image and behavior are not influenced by an addiction to rock. For me, rock is the music of intellectuals, the music of thinking people, the music of the living
Music tastes and why? on 16:50 - May 27 with 1387 viewsthemodfather

my older brother came home one day in 1978, he had the jam "all mod cons", as we shared a room and when he was out i was drawn to the target roundel design and quickly played a few tracks, later i learnt every word of every track and nowadays have a large collection of jam/style council and weller stuff. just to think Weller has had 2 number 1 lps out during the pandemic , some going , both of which are quite laid back soulful lps, "on sunset" and "fat pop" the jam live were kin intense and powerful , i saw them 3 times in 82 when i was 15 . most of my schoolmates too were into the jam at that time, then 2 tone hit in 79 and with "quadrophenia" film out, that was me....a "mod" but the sodding fact is big fellas cant squeeze into the medium size fashions, then or now lol
Music tastes and why? on 17:20 - May 27 with 1362 viewsQPRSteve

Grew up with the Beatles, Stones etc. Then heard Hendrix one day and was wowed. Got into all the bands of the day like Cream, Zeppelin, etc. Used to listen to John Peel on the radio which opened me up to all sorts off stuff and would frequent the Marquee and least once or twice a week.

I really got into progressive rock through Gentle Giant and Arthur Brown’s Kingdom Come. Plus I love the Canterbury Scene — bands like Caravan, Hatfield & the North and Kevin Ayers.

I’ve never really left the 70’s.
Music tastes and why? on 17:22 - May 27 with 1361 viewswood_hoop

Music tastes and why? on 16:50 - May 27 by themodfather

my older brother came home one day in 1978, he had the jam "all mod cons", as we shared a room and when he was out i was drawn to the target roundel design and quickly played a few tracks, later i learnt every word of every track and nowadays have a large collection of jam/style council and weller stuff. just to think Weller has had 2 number 1 lps out during the pandemic , some going , both of which are quite laid back soulful lps, "on sunset" and "fat pop" the jam live were kin intense and powerful , i saw them 3 times in 82 when i was 15 . most of my schoolmates too were into the jam at that time, then 2 tone hit in 79 and with "quadrophenia" film out, that was me....a "mod" but the sodding fact is big fellas cant squeeze into the medium size fashions, then or now lol

Must have been mid 70's I saw Jam, mate dragged me to the Birds Nest in West Kensington I think it was, after raving about them, played a bit of Rn & B and a few Motown tunes, thought they was alright but nothing special.

Just shows how crap I am at picking out future hit makers
Music tastes and why? on 17:42 - May 27 with 1353 viewsHAYESBOY

When I was a kid we had music in the house.
We would gather around the radio on Sunday for the new top 40.
At around 11 years of age I really got into The Police and loved their early stuff.
I had different tastes in my teens. Really Liked Heaven 17's first two albums. Had them on tape as was cheaper. Loved Level 42 up until 1986.
However, when leaving school and you start going out to clubs and in turn are then bombarded with soul/boogie/dance music you start to get into that type of music.
My first RnB album was the Eugen Wilde album with I Gotta Get You Home Tonight on it.
Then followed the obvious at the time with Luther Vandross, Alexander O'neal, Will Downing, David Peaston, Maze, Michael McDonald, SOS Band, Change to name some.

But then I heard a couple of songs from James Brown that I had never heard before.
They were There Was A Time and Give Me My Thang. I was hooked and hoovered up all the old James Brown records I could get.
That then turned me onto Parliament and Funkadelic. Then I was just hooked to 70's and early 80's Funk.
Bands like Confunksun, Mandrill, Fatback Band, Roy Ayres, Gap Band, Sly and the Family Stone, Barkays, Early Kool and the Gang and so many more.
I went full circle and discovered Prince and all of his Funk stuff around 1986 and have all his bootlegs, especially after he passed away.
So my music taste now is all things Funk, Soul & Boogie. Especially 70's & early 80's.

Examples:

[Post edited 27 May 2021 17:56]

Smells like a trout farm in here

Music tastes and why? on 09:30 - May 29 with 1259 viewsthemodfather

just to add my brother was more of a clash fan and although i like em, they don't do it for me, shame he got pi55ed and ripped up the PIL first single picture sleeve, which was a fold out newspaper i think they are worth a few £££££ today.
Music tastes and why? on 12:31 - May 29 with 1231 viewsdistortR

Music tastes and why? on 09:30 - May 29 by themodfather

just to add my brother was more of a clash fan and although i like em, they don't do it for me, shame he got pi55ed and ripped up the PIL first single picture sleeve, which was a fold out newspaper i think they are worth a few £££££ today.

my brothers copy of 'setting sons' was what really started it all for me
Music tastes and why? on 13:10 - May 29 with 1203 viewsdmm

It's interesting to read about people's tastes in music. Like others mine have changed and evolved over the years and are now pretty eclectic: progressive bluegrass, contemporary jazz, ambient and Celtic folk are my main likes these days.
Music tastes and why? on 09:23 - May 30 with 1129 viewsRamseyR

Great thread and respect to everyone whatever your tastes

Five main great influences for me
1. The Music press
2. John Peel
3. Live gigs
4. West Indian workmates
5. The rise of the Mp3 / Internet

As an early teen, became an avid radio fan but hating the BBC daytime offer. Borrowing my older brother’s Record Mirror and Chart Songwords magazines. Listening primarily to Capital. A regular listener whenever I could, but never missing Nicky Horne’s Your Mother Wouldn’t Like It ,but replacing that fairly quickly with John Peel, who I’ve described on here before as probably the most influential person in my life. By this time I was buying Sounds and NME every week and attending my first gigs

Loved Punk/New Wave/Ska but particularly the post punk of Joy Division, Killing Joke, Theatre of Hate, Dead Kennedys etc etc I’d just started work so could afford 5-6 gigs a month and saw hundreds of bands doing The Lyceum on a Sunday, 100 Club on Tuesday and occasionally Thursday, and a host of other venues like the Moonlight, The Marquee etc.
At work in the warehouse we were allowed music on, and some of my workmates were massively into Dub & Lovers Rock and although it’s a genre I know comparatively little about, I still have a real soft spot for and listen to, to this day. A lot of reggae was also played at punk gigs between bands so a bit more exposure there.

Kids, Mortgages and all the sensible life stuff got in the way of buying much physical music until the birth of the MP3. I’d stopped doing gigs but as my kids reached an age that they were into music, the Internet & Mp3 landed, and all of a sudden every type of music was so accessible and often for free(cough)
I hoovered up everything, and now have really eclectic taste across so many genres, although very little is what I call mainstream.

Did a whole second phase of gigs including Bloc Party, Kings of Leon (early), Pigeon Detectives, The Zutons, Razorlight sometimes with the kids in tow.

Still do a handfull of gigs a year, but getting tired of standing up all night now, and covid has broken the habit, but hope to get past that.

My phone has 4.5k tracks on it, and music is a major thing in my life. Still love discovering new music, and now BBC Radio 6 music, is my go to.
[Post edited 30 May 2021 9:23]
Music tastes and why? on 11:09 - May 30 with 1101 viewsozranger

Being brought up in Aussieland, the early stuff for me was more the Easy Beats and what was on the radio at the time around the late 60s and early 70s. There was a great record store in George St in Sydney and through that I got into Santana and Blue Oyster Cult. It was the guitar that dragged me along, then to Knoffler, Hendrix and the like. Strangely, I also got into Marillion as well which was quite out of the rest of the mix. Perhaps these were a rebellion to the local stuff being poured into my ears from JJJ (was JJ then) and other more alternative radio stations. Still, INXS, Flowers, Hunters & Collectors, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Angels, Rose Tattoo and the like all carried me through the 70 and 80s.

Skipping to the more recent, things started to change and I have added house and especially the likes of Goa, Deep House Slow Jam (South African). Also, stumbled upon an Aussie, DubFX, playing to the crowd in the old Manchester Piccadiily in 2008. That was what really changed or added to my tastes. His mix of dub step, reggae and ska was quite taking.

So, now I am into almost anything, bar country & western and disco. Still love the blues and have numerous albums of that, especially the likes of Gary Moore. Still am very much into guitar music with Satriani, Vai, Santana, etc, well included within the music section of my phone and also now more into the variants of house. Also cannot deny some hard rock with AccaDacca (ACDC) and BOC. Life's still good with music.

To add to this, the first album I bought was Slade Alive! and first concert I went to was a small Aussie band called Ayers Rock.
Music tastes and why? on 13:32 - May 30 with 1074 viewsdmm

Reading people's reflections on live gigs, who went to those Sunday afternoon/evening gigs at the Roundhouse in Chalke Farm in the late 60s/early 70s called "A Sunday Joint"? Hours and hours of rock music heaven
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024