Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colston Statue vandals innocent 18:40 - Jan 5 with 17168 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston vandals are CLEARED: Gleeful BLM activists thank Banksy for his support after they are acquitted of criminal damage over toppling of Edward Colston statue - sparking outrage that jury has given a 'greenlight to political vandalism.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:05 - Jan 8 with 1089 viewsCatullus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 06:09 - Jan 8 by felixstowe_jack

Those activists would not last long in Russia, China, Ukraine, Burma as was, khakhstan, Saudi Arabia, etc.

The woke generation will only protest in free democracy so they can safely return to their homes at night.

Perhaps they could protest in some parts of London against knife crimes asking the locals to give up their knives.

I believe he's talking about activists here, why are they getting so wound up about things that happened hundreds of years back but seemingly not worked up about things still happening today?

We can't fix things that happened back in time, we should worry about fixing the here and now.

PS Kilky, yes St Patrick was Welsh but haven't you missed the point of the post by a country mile? Should we blame the Irish today for the enslavement of St Patrick and others? The answer is no by the way.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:02 - Jan 8 with 1042 viewsKilkennyjack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:05 - Jan 8 by Catullus

I believe he's talking about activists here, why are they getting so wound up about things that happened hundreds of years back but seemingly not worked up about things still happening today?

We can't fix things that happened back in time, we should worry about fixing the here and now.

PS Kilky, yes St Patrick was Welsh but haven't you missed the point of the post by a country mile? Should we blame the Irish today for the enslavement of St Patrick and others? The answer is no by the way.

I get it.

I was just helping Felix find the right words.
Roman Britain bollox.
St Patrick was a Cymro and loved the Swans.

Felix needs to acknowledge these truths.
Our very own Banwen bhoy.

Beware of the Risen People

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:28 - Jan 8 with 1011 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:02 - Jan 8 by Kilkennyjack

I get it.

I was just helping Felix find the right words.
Roman Britain bollox.
St Patrick was a Cymro and loved the Swans.

Felix needs to acknowledge these truths.
Our very own Banwen bhoy.

I’m surprised PETA hasn’t come after st.Patrick for dumping all the snakes in the sea, the snake murdering Taffy bastard.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:06 - Jan 8 with 986 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:28 - Jan 8 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

I’m surprised PETA hasn’t come after st.Patrick for dumping all the snakes in the sea, the snake murdering Taffy bastard.

That’s kind of my point about the hysteria.

You can support Guide Dogs for the Blind without disappearing down the slippery slope of animal rights activism and next tearing down statues of St. Patrick.

There’s a little bit of cancelling being attempted (not by admin) on here where if you express an opinion you’re challenged to take it to the nth degree.

Concerned about statues of slavers? Why aren’t you talking about Chinese concentration camps? It’s childish really. Often it by posters who baulk against identity politics which is a bit weird.

It’s also odd that some of those vociferously complaining about jury’s getting things ‘wrong’ also support capital punishment.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:16 - Jan 8 with 982 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:06 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

That’s kind of my point about the hysteria.

You can support Guide Dogs for the Blind without disappearing down the slippery slope of animal rights activism and next tearing down statues of St. Patrick.

There’s a little bit of cancelling being attempted (not by admin) on here where if you express an opinion you’re challenged to take it to the nth degree.

Concerned about statues of slavers? Why aren’t you talking about Chinese concentration camps? It’s childish really. Often it by posters who baulk against identity politics which is a bit weird.

It’s also odd that some of those vociferously complaining about jury’s getting things ‘wrong’ also support capital punishment.

Again, I don’t think there is any hysteria, the discussions are natural after people have been found innocent after admitting their role in vandalism that they were charged with.

People have been concerned about this political wave for quite some time and the ramifications it may have, this seems to be the latest.

The points raised by others are valid regarding modern slavery. I bet none of those people that vandalised the statue have done anything about modern slavery. I don’t think that’s taking it to the nth degree, I think that’s a natural curiosity.

Seems bizarre to be complaining about slavery 400 years ago when you could be doing things to combat actual slavery today. To me that suggests rather than the subject matter at hand they simply want to be Instagram protestors, showing that the issues they are causing society are for nothing other than vanity.

As for capital punishment, I have always been against it and always will be. It’s barbaric.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:21 - Jan 8 with 965 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:16 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Again, I don’t think there is any hysteria, the discussions are natural after people have been found innocent after admitting their role in vandalism that they were charged with.

People have been concerned about this political wave for quite some time and the ramifications it may have, this seems to be the latest.

The points raised by others are valid regarding modern slavery. I bet none of those people that vandalised the statue have done anything about modern slavery. I don’t think that’s taking it to the nth degree, I think that’s a natural curiosity.

Seems bizarre to be complaining about slavery 400 years ago when you could be doing things to combat actual slavery today. To me that suggests rather than the subject matter at hand they simply want to be Instagram protestors, showing that the issues they are causing society are for nothing other than vanity.

As for capital punishment, I have always been against it and always will be. It’s barbaric.

It might be 400 years ago but it’s in our back yard.

Once again I’m not condoning it, I’m just saying it’s ok to have a cause.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:24 - Jan 8 with 960 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:21 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

It might be 400 years ago but it’s in our back yard.

Once again I’m not condoning it, I’m just saying it’s ok to have a cause.

What do you mean it’s in our back yard?

The world is full of slavery and always was. If your cause is anti slavery and demolishing anything associated with it then why pick and choose?

I take it back to Lewis Hamilton telling everyone to pull down any symbology associated with slavery while wearing one on his cap.

I would have far more respect for these people if they didn’t pick and choose what constitutes slavery and what doesn’t. Often depending on what benefits them.

Sorry but it’s simply political posturing; nothing to do with the cause.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:32 - Jan 8 with 941 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:24 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

What do you mean it’s in our back yard?

The world is full of slavery and always was. If your cause is anti slavery and demolishing anything associated with it then why pick and choose?

I take it back to Lewis Hamilton telling everyone to pull down any symbology associated with slavery while wearing one on his cap.

I would have far more respect for these people if they didn’t pick and choose what constitutes slavery and what doesn’t. Often depending on what benefits them.

Sorry but it’s simply political posturing; nothing to do with the cause.

I mean if you choose as your cause a representation of slavery in your own town as your focal point that should be your choice.

Lewis Hamilton is an interesting one for me. I agree with you example on slavery however I’d say those who haul him over the coals for climate change take it to far.

You can help without going to the extreme. Take Gary Lineker who was vilified by some for speaking out for refugees without giving some his house.
Login to get fewer ads

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:43 - Jan 8 with 928 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:32 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

I mean if you choose as your cause a representation of slavery in your own town as your focal point that should be your choice.

Lewis Hamilton is an interesting one for me. I agree with you example on slavery however I’d say those who haul him over the coals for climate change take it to far.

You can help without going to the extreme. Take Gary Lineker who was vilified by some for speaking out for refugees without giving some his house.

It shouldn’t be your choice if it means breaking the law. Attend rallies, appeal for change, go through the correct channels. This “look at me” type gesture I just cannot abide by and you see it all over the BLM movement.

I fully support those that call Lineker a hypocrite, he is telling people to take in refugees when he has a mansion, millions of pounds and the means to do it himself, add Lilly Allen to that list. I can’t stand celebrities posturing that do nothing about it themselves.

It was down to those people that called him out that made him have to take some in. There is no doubt in my mind if there wasn’t the fuss there was over his obvious hypocrisy that he would have continued blissfully drowning in his ignorance. His hand was forced.

How can anyone take these idiots seriously?
[Post edited 26 Jun 2023 18:18]

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:46 - Jan 8 with 925 viewsDr_Parnassus

Almost comical.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:52 - Jan 8 with 918 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:43 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

It shouldn’t be your choice if it means breaking the law. Attend rallies, appeal for change, go through the correct channels. This “look at me” type gesture I just cannot abide by and you see it all over the BLM movement.

I fully support those that call Lineker a hypocrite, he is telling people to take in refugees when he has a mansion, millions of pounds and the means to do it himself, add Lilly Allen to that list. I can’t stand celebrities posturing that do nothing about it themselves.

It was down to those people that called him out that made him have to take some in. There is no doubt in my mind if there wasn’t the fuss there was over his obvious hypocrisy that he would have continued blissfully drowning in his ignorance. His hand was forced.

How can anyone take these idiots seriously?
[Post edited 26 Jun 2023 18:18]

Lineker raised the profile of the issue. Well done to him.

What does he have to do to not be a hypocrite? How much money should he give? How many refugees should he take in for it to be acceptable to you? Are all those who raised money for Comic Relief hypocrites? How many Ethiopians should be living with Lennie Henry?

I don’t now why you put up the links to Hamilton- I agreed with you.

Ill have to pick this up later as I’ve got to ref my boy’s football match. I do this as it’s important to me that the kids get to play. I’m not reffing the games before or afterwards and I’m not paying for the refs for those games. I could afford to so that must make me a hypocrite.

Or maybe it’s a ‘cause’ I support without taking it to the extreme to make a point.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 12:02 - Jan 8 with 905 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 11:52 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Lineker raised the profile of the issue. Well done to him.

What does he have to do to not be a hypocrite? How much money should he give? How many refugees should he take in for it to be acceptable to you? Are all those who raised money for Comic Relief hypocrites? How many Ethiopians should be living with Lennie Henry?

I don’t now why you put up the links to Hamilton- I agreed with you.

Ill have to pick this up later as I’ve got to ref my boy’s football match. I do this as it’s important to me that the kids get to play. I’m not reffing the games before or afterwards and I’m not paying for the refs for those games. I could afford to so that must make me a hypocrite.

Or maybe it’s a ‘cause’ I support without taking it to the extreme to make a point.

Did he though? It was the hottest topic around at the time, I don’t think Linekar did anything to further it. He just jumped on a bandwagon and was called out for it, he then had to back his words after months of avoiding the issue.

He should lead by example in order to not be a hypocrite, not be forced to take a stand. Take in a refugee and show why it is a good thing in his opinion, not attack the country for not doing more when he has done nothing himself - yet has considerable means to.

I don’t think Lenny is championing Ethiopians to live with people is he? He’s gone out there himself and got his hands dirty, good on him, that’s all that is required - I’ll take a lecture from Lenny on doing more. I won’t take one from an idiot that does nothing in his ivory tower and neither will other people, hence the backlash.

I put up links to show how ridiculous this political posturing is (others may not be aware), it has nothing to do with the cause, it’s about being seen, furthering your own brand. Hamilton is the same, that millennial attitude that he is striving for a better world… but he won’t accept his own bank balance being dented by it, everyone else has to do that.

“Pull down all racist and slavery symbology… unless it ruins my sponsorship deals”.

NBA and Lebron, “let’s stamp out oppression… unless it mentions China because that will ruin our sponsorship deals with them”.

Add Arsenal to that list. The FA. FIFA. You name it.

The list is endless of this empty political movement, this case in Bristol is the latest in a long line.

There are plenty of opportunities to tackle the issue of slavery, people actually being slaves today - yet they decide to pull down a lump of metal because of links to slavery 400 years ago in a big look at me gesture for the Instagram snaps.

Not having it.

Their cause was to be seen, Colston’s statue was just the convenient vessel to use in order to do so.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2022 12:21]

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 12:24 - Jan 8 with 862 viewsDr_Parnassus

As for your reffing, you are doing your bit by reffing a match.

Now if you were going on Twitter and complaining that parents weren’t reffing matches while you weren’t doing so yourself, yet having the time and means to - that would be hypocrisy.

If you tore down a statue of Brian Clough because he was was harsh to refs and you want to promote more refs in the game - you would also be told how ridiculous the action was when you could be tackling your issue yourself by training to be one.

You would no doubt be accused of attention seeking as opposed to having a genuine cause with the latter example.

It’s all the same regardless of what subject you switch it to.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 16:23 - Jan 8 with 776 viewscontroversial_jack

Destroying something that glorifies misery and slavery for thousands has every right to be destroyed, just like proceeds from crime
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 17:12 - Jan 8 with 763 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 12:24 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

As for your reffing, you are doing your bit by reffing a match.

Now if you were going on Twitter and complaining that parents weren’t reffing matches while you weren’t doing so yourself, yet having the time and means to - that would be hypocrisy.

If you tore down a statue of Brian Clough because he was was harsh to refs and you want to promote more refs in the game - you would also be told how ridiculous the action was when you could be tackling your issue yourself by training to be one.

You would no doubt be accused of attention seeking as opposed to having a genuine cause with the latter example.

It’s all the same regardless of what subject you switch it to.

I don’t see it that way. Lineker wasn’t doing nothing - he was using his fame to raise the profile of the cause. Unless of course you hold celebs to a higher standard - I don’t.

No point me moaning on Twitter - I’ve only got 9 followers! More effective for me to do my little bit and talk to captive audiences at matches about helping out. (Won 3 - 1. Ref was magnificent 😉).

I certainly wouldn’t start tearing down a Brian Clough statue. That would be as ridiculous as a one off trial outcome in Bristol leading to the demolition of the Colesseum.

The slippery slope think is a fallacy. “If you allow this thing then all these other things that nobody is calling for are bound to happen”.

It’s not a linear progression.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:03 - Jan 8 with 727 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 17:12 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

I don’t see it that way. Lineker wasn’t doing nothing - he was using his fame to raise the profile of the cause. Unless of course you hold celebs to a higher standard - I don’t.

No point me moaning on Twitter - I’ve only got 9 followers! More effective for me to do my little bit and talk to captive audiences at matches about helping out. (Won 3 - 1. Ref was magnificent 😉).

I certainly wouldn’t start tearing down a Brian Clough statue. That would be as ridiculous as a one off trial outcome in Bristol leading to the demolition of the Colesseum.

The slippery slope think is a fallacy. “If you allow this thing then all these other things that nobody is calling for are bound to happen”.

It’s not a linear progression.

But he wasn’t, he was moaning and posturing. He wasn’t actually doing anything about at all, it was the hottest topic in the country at the time, it didn’t need a match of the day presenter to chirp in.

Same principle whether you have 9 followers or 9 million. If you are preaching to others while doing nothing yourself then you are a hypocrite.

I am vegan for example and often say how others should be too. I would be a hypocrite if I was going that while tucking into a steak. Raising the veganism profile would be an excuse enough to not be a hypocrite.

As for the slippery slope I don’t see how it can be anything but. I have explained why.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2022 20:08]

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:04 - Jan 8 with 725 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 16:23 - Jan 8 by controversial_jack

Destroying something that glorifies misery and slavery for thousands has every right to be destroyed, just like proceeds from crime

It didn’t. It was erected to glorify charity work not slavery.

Does the Colloseum glorify slavery?

Shall we demolish it? If not, why not.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:08 - Jan 8 with 716 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:03 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

But he wasn’t, he was moaning and posturing. He wasn’t actually doing anything about at all, it was the hottest topic in the country at the time, it didn’t need a match of the day presenter to chirp in.

Same principle whether you have 9 followers or 9 million. If you are preaching to others while doing nothing yourself then you are a hypocrite.

I am vegan for example and often say how others should be too. I would be a hypocrite if I was going that while tucking into a steak. Raising the veganism profile would be an excuse enough to not be a hypocrite.

As for the slippery slope I don’t see how it can be anything but. I have explained why.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2022 20:08]

Based on that, when do you think the Colosseum will be razed to the ground on the assumption it’s inevitable and the natural progression form the Bristol verdict?

In regard to Lineker, of course he didn’t do nothing. He raised the profile amongst his millions of followers. If that’s ineffective it means the advertising industry isn’t worth anything. Which it is.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:13 - Jan 8 with 714 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:08 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Based on that, when do you think the Colosseum will be razed to the ground on the assumption it’s inevitable and the natural progression form the Bristol verdict?

In regard to Lineker, of course he didn’t do nothing. He raised the profile amongst his millions of followers. If that’s ineffective it means the advertising industry isn’t worth anything. Which it is.

It’s not about when, it’s about the same principles being in play. If this “should” be demolished due to its links to slavery, then why “shouldn’t” someone of the same mindset destroy the Colosseum.

… and of course why shouldn’t they get away with it?

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:23 - Jan 8 with 704 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:13 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s not about when, it’s about the same principles being in play. If this “should” be demolished due to its links to slavery, then why “shouldn’t” someone of the same mindset destroy the Colosseum.

… and of course why shouldn’t they get away with it?

So it’s unlikely to happen?

Hysteria or more likely, hyperbole then.

I keep coming back to the same point (without defending the Coulsten lot). It’s fine to have a cause.

You can be a Vegan without being an activist.
You can think black lives matter without thinking Black Lives Matter.
Being concerned about domestic violence towards women without insisting you look at the male figures.
You can be against sexual violence towards children without having to add all violence of this type is wrong.
You can support international women’s day without asking about international men’s day (November 19th)

Extrapolating causes to the nth degree takes away the rights and thoughts of the individual. I don’t like that.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:35 - Jan 8 with 693 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:23 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

So it’s unlikely to happen?

Hysteria or more likely, hyperbole then.

I keep coming back to the same point (without defending the Coulsten lot). It’s fine to have a cause.

You can be a Vegan without being an activist.
You can think black lives matter without thinking Black Lives Matter.
Being concerned about domestic violence towards women without insisting you look at the male figures.
You can be against sexual violence towards children without having to add all violence of this type is wrong.
You can support international women’s day without asking about international men’s day (November 19th)

Extrapolating causes to the nth degree takes away the rights and thoughts of the individual. I don’t like that.

Unlikely? Why?

If there is a desire to destroy anything with any slavery meaning then why shouldn’t someone of the same mindset destroy the colosseum, and why shouldn’t they get away with it.

That’s the point. If 12 random people can find a group of people innocent after admitting their role in it, and others seemingly feeling that was “good”, then I would suggest IF something is destroyed next in similar circumstances then it’s fairly likely we get a similar outcome.

It is fine to have a cause if exercised lawfully. And if you are going to break the law then do something worthwhile to help your cause and not just do something empty for show.

You can be vegan without being an activist yes, but those telling others to be an activist should be one themselves. It’s the same principles again regardless of which subject you use.

Being concerned about something is fine, that isn’t what we are discussing though.

There is no extrapolating to the nth degree, they are simple progressions.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:39 - Jan 8 with 679 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:35 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Unlikely? Why?

If there is a desire to destroy anything with any slavery meaning then why shouldn’t someone of the same mindset destroy the colosseum, and why shouldn’t they get away with it.

That’s the point. If 12 random people can find a group of people innocent after admitting their role in it, and others seemingly feeling that was “good”, then I would suggest IF something is destroyed next in similar circumstances then it’s fairly likely we get a similar outcome.

It is fine to have a cause if exercised lawfully. And if you are going to break the law then do something worthwhile to help your cause and not just do something empty for show.

You can be vegan without being an activist yes, but those telling others to be an activist should be one themselves. It’s the same principles again regardless of which subject you use.

Being concerned about something is fine, that isn’t what we are discussing though.

There is no extrapolating to the nth degree, they are simple progressions.

Do you think the Colosseum will be pulled down?
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:45 - Jan 8 with 673 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:39 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Do you think the Colosseum will be pulled down?

I have no idea, I doubt pulled down but vandalised sure.

But that isn’t the slippery slope I’m talking about. The slippery slope is that IF such vandalism occurs again then why shouldn’t the people get away with it?

If there is such a public desire to destroy anything to do with slavery then why shouldn’t the colosseum be vandalised and why shouldn’t the perpetrators get away with it?

Anyone that supports this verdict would have to surely have the same views regarding any vandalism for reasons of “slavery”.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:49 - Jan 8 with 661 viewstrampie

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:50 - Jan 8 with 661 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:45 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

I have no idea, I doubt pulled down but vandalised sure.

But that isn’t the slippery slope I’m talking about. The slippery slope is that IF such vandalism occurs again then why shouldn’t the people get away with it?

If there is such a public desire to destroy anything to do with slavery then why shouldn’t the colosseum be vandalised and why shouldn’t the perpetrators get away with it?

Anyone that supports this verdict would have to surely have the same views regarding any vandalism for reasons of “slavery”.

Because the trial was a one off.

The idea that anarchy will ensue is ideologically driven, not factual.

Again (for I think the fourth time) I feel the 4 shouldn’t have got away with it.
I also feel it won’t have ant impact long term on future cases.

Maybe the law will change and I’ll shift position.

I’ll tell you what I don’t like, and that’s the AG’s posturing. She and Patel can do one. All sound bites and no function.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024