Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This team as it stands next season 18:53 - Apr 16 with 4352 viewsKeithHaynes

With no additions, although Wolf and Christie staying.

Chances ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

This team as it stands next season on 09:22 - Apr 17 with 1049 viewsmagicdaps10

This team as it stands next season on 09:15 - Apr 17 by Dr_Winston

He's 24 this year and still looks weak on the ball to me.

Personally I've always preferred the idea of moving him more central as the lad can clearly finish. Pace and finishing ability are a good mix. I've just got my doubts about him out wide against wilier defenders.

I think he is back up RWB as it stands, think he offers a good option there along with his versatility.
The jury is certainly out and it would be last chance saloon in his career here, that's for sure.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

This team as it stands next season on 10:00 - Apr 17 with 1010 viewsYouBackJastard

Keeping the same general squad around will be vital next season, while so many others in the league are forced to change and adapt we have the opportunity to keep this team and tactics together which is a golden combination. We will live or die by our summer window, really can’t speculate until we see the level of investment (which will clue us in on how respected and trusted Martin is by our owners!) I would expect, given a good window where we keep the squad together and get some fantastic backups in, a very strong playoff push.
This team as it stands next season on 10:42 - Apr 17 with 989 viewsWhiterockin

This team as it stands next season on 10:00 - Apr 17 by YouBackJastard

Keeping the same general squad around will be vital next season, while so many others in the league are forced to change and adapt we have the opportunity to keep this team and tactics together which is a golden combination. We will live or die by our summer window, really can’t speculate until we see the level of investment (which will clue us in on how respected and trusted Martin is by our owners!) I would expect, given a good window where we keep the squad together and get some fantastic backups in, a very strong playoff push.

The early start could affect things for clubs next season 5 football weekends before the window closes, add in a couple of midweek games and we could be 7-8 games into the season until teams finalise their squads. I just hope business is done early and no late departures.
This team as it stands next season on 11:09 - Apr 17 with 967 viewsYouBackJastard

This team as it stands next season on 10:42 - Apr 17 by Whiterockin

The early start could affect things for clubs next season 5 football weekends before the window closes, add in a couple of midweek games and we could be 7-8 games into the season until teams finalise their squads. I just hope business is done early and no late departures.

“business is done early and no late departures.”

God how I wish that same mentality was shared with the owners over the past few summer windows. Seen more than my fair share of mental summer deadline days to age me 10+ years!
This team as it stands next season on 19:31 - Apr 17 with 882 viewsLorax

This team as it stands next season on 21:47 - Apr 16 by Whiterockin

I would try Piroe and Oba up front with wolf behind them. But what do I know.

I'd love to see them both up front and we have 3-4 players who could play behind them. Wolf, Pato, Downes, Ntcham...that means a formation change though and that seems unlikely as a long term thing.
This team as it stands next season on 10:15 - Apr 18 with 794 viewsLuther27

This team as it stands next season on 19:51 - Apr 16 by jasper_T

Given we were already missing a starter with injury our bench was really strong for a Championship team. I think people overestimate what top half teams like Huddersfield/Luton/Blackburn/Preston etc. are actually putting together on matchdays to think us weak or lacking depth. We can't realistically compete with the parachute payment squads or those like Stoke who have bloated squads of desperation signings.

To be able to bring on a player of Ntcham's pedigree is a luxury. Ryan Manning has plenty of experience at this level. Ogbeta and Joseph cost serious money and have been proven effective in League One at very young ages, will improve if given chances. Plenty of Championship academies regularly contribute players to their first team bench as we have with Congreve, and hopefully we do it more not less next season imo.

As it stands we'd be short of a decent rotation option at right wingback, and Christie looks like he needs one. Otherwise we're fine. Overloaded in midfield but a wealth of options available. Some of the loanees have had good seasons and will want to kick on when they return.

Good post. I agree with the points you make but it all depends if we keep our present squad together and that more than anything will determine what next season will turn out like. However if we lose the spine of our team then it’s back to rebuilding yet again.
This team as it stands next season on 11:08 - Apr 18 with 777 viewsWhiterockin

This team as it stands next season on 10:15 - Apr 18 by Luther27

Good post. I agree with the points you make but it all depends if we keep our present squad together and that more than anything will determine what next season will turn out like. However if we lose the spine of our team then it’s back to rebuilding yet again.

I think that if we did lose players that we wanted to keep, we would be on a higher starting point than last season, because the players now know how to play the system. Apparently the blocks are already in place for the new signings, hopefully this will include preparation to cover any possible departures.
This team as it stands next season on 11:45 - Apr 18 with 733 viewsLuther27

This team as it stands next season on 11:08 - Apr 18 by Whiterockin

I think that if we did lose players that we wanted to keep, we would be on a higher starting point than last season, because the players now know how to play the system. Apparently the blocks are already in place for the new signings, hopefully this will include preparation to cover any possible departures.

Normal transfer season then WR. Thing is as Jasper says we can’t compete squad wise with the parachute payment clubs along with the likes of Forest etc. The way I see it is to have any chance of a promotion drive is to build on what we have not start again.
If we lose Piroe, Downes, Obafembi then that’s the spine of our team gone. That’s the concern I have.
Login to get fewer ads

This team as it stands next season on 11:56 - Apr 18 with 721 viewsSTID2017

This team as it stands next season on 11:45 - Apr 18 by Luther27

Normal transfer season then WR. Thing is as Jasper says we can’t compete squad wise with the parachute payment clubs along with the likes of Forest etc. The way I see it is to have any chance of a promotion drive is to build on what we have not start again.
If we lose Piroe, Downes, Obafembi then that’s the spine of our team gone. That’s the concern I have.

Personally think Piroe is the one most likely to go, if he does hope it is for a significant amount. Hopefully a decent chunk would be used to rebuilding.
Downes may well be replaced by Joe Allen and / or Ampadu.
I think Obafemi will stay and carry on building his career.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

This team as it stands next season on 12:02 - Apr 18 with 717 viewsThurrockJack92

This team as it stands next season on 19:54 - Apr 16 by Whiterockin

As a matter of interest what would you with Cullen and Whitticker. Personally I would try to move them on.

I would agree with this. I have always thought Whittaker has a lot of talent but he is not even in Lincoln's matchday squad anymore, making it every single manager he has had who does not think he should be in the squad. I am not sure what it is, but there is something within him that means he will never reach his potential imo. As for Cullen, while I respect the workrate, I have never thought he had the ability we needed.
This team as it stands next season on 12:08 - Apr 18 with 713 viewsjasper_T

This team as it stands next season on 12:02 - Apr 18 by ThurrockJack92

I would agree with this. I have always thought Whittaker has a lot of talent but he is not even in Lincoln's matchday squad anymore, making it every single manager he has had who does not think he should be in the squad. I am not sure what it is, but there is something within him that means he will never reach his potential imo. As for Cullen, while I respect the workrate, I have never thought he had the ability we needed.

Whittaker's been suspended after a red card recently. Featured in 17/18 games for them before that.
This team as it stands next season on 12:12 - Apr 18 with 707 viewsThurrockJack92

This team as it stands next season on 12:08 - Apr 18 by jasper_T

Whittaker's been suspended after a red card recently. Featured in 17/18 games for them before that.

I confess I had checked the last few Lincoln games, saw he was not in the squad for while and put 2 & 2 together. let's hope he kicks on and makes me eat my words, the lad has a lot of talent that will be wasted otherwise.
This team as it stands next season on 12:14 - Apr 18 with 705 viewsjasper_T

This team as it stands next season on 11:45 - Apr 18 by Luther27

If we're to be a sustainable club we've no option but to follow the Brentford blueprint of selling our best and recruiting well afterwards. They lost Maupay and then Watkins in successive seasons before Toney got them promoted. No one wants to lose a goalscorer like Piroe but if people are doing their jobs then candidates to replace him are being lined up.
This team as it stands next season on 13:03 - Apr 18 with 657 viewsReslovenSwan1

I am a firm believer in players who the club trusts given 100 games to develop. Ollie Cooper has not been allowed this and similarly Cullen. Whitaker and Garrick are on their way to 100 with JG around 23. There are many examples of players improving rapidly at the 22-23 years of age. Grimes James and Roberts all had pretty unsatisfactory loans before they kicked on. James could not get into a modest Shrewsbury team.

I do wonder if Cullen is "hard enough" and prepared to get hurt by getting on the end of crosses. I recall an incident where Bidwell put in a peach of a cross and it went through Cullen. I would have been bread and butter for Bony or Ayew.

Wise sage since Toshack era

This team as it stands next season on 13:05 - Apr 18 with 655 viewskrunchykarrot

This team as it stands next season on 12:12 - Apr 18 by ThurrockJack92

I confess I had checked the last few Lincoln games, saw he was not in the squad for while and put 2 & 2 together. let's hope he kicks on and makes me eat my words, the lad has a lot of talent that will be wasted otherwise.

He was sitting in the stand close to me for the Derby match. Some posters on here think he has the ability to make a start for us i personally disagree to weak on the ball if i had to choose i think i would go for Garrick.

Not sure i would retain Christy or Wolfe to be honest, they will want wages at our top end, i would rather spend wisely, Joe would not be value for money either unless we rob them. I would also sell Pato if the money was there.
This team as it stands next season on 13:32 - Apr 18 with 632 views73__73

This team as it stands next season on 18:57 - Apr 16 by KeithHaynes

Chances of promotion ?

Why not. As good a chance as many in the championship.

I’d keep both of the players mentioned.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

This team as it stands next season on 13:33 - Apr 18 with 631 viewsReslovenSwan1

This team as it stands next season on 13:05 - Apr 18 by krunchykarrot

He was sitting in the stand close to me for the Derby match. Some posters on here think he has the ability to make a start for us i personally disagree to weak on the ball if i had to choose i think i would go for Garrick.

Not sure i would retain Christy or Wolfe to be honest, they will want wages at our top end, i would rather spend wisely, Joe would not be value for money either unless we rob them. I would also sell Pato if the money was there.

The team on paper looks strong. Who will be ditched for new signings.?

Fisher (fixed)

Latibeaudiere (young improved) Cabango (young top Local prospect) Naughton (fixed feature)

Christie (new signing) Grimes (auto pick) Downes (auto pick) Wolf (new signing loan) Nctham (project player)

Paterson (New deal) Piroe (auto pick) Obafemi (hitting form)

Martin and co has been scouting players actively. Allen his speaking to multiple agents. 4 or 5 new signings? What for?

Benda, Cooper 1, Cooper 2, Garrick, Cullen Williams and Whitaker returning.

Congreave, Abdullai, Rushesha Cotterill McFadyan all looking for action.

How will there be room at the Inn unless quite a few 7-8 (?) are asked to return their keys and leave.?

Fulton, Bennett with a year left at least. Ogbeta Joseph and Manning battling for game time too.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 13:36]

This team as it stands next season on 13:36 - Apr 18 with 629 viewsjasper_T

This team as it stands next season on 13:03 - Apr 18 by ReslovenSwan1

I am a firm believer in players who the club trusts given 100 games to develop. Ollie Cooper has not been allowed this and similarly Cullen. Whitaker and Garrick are on their way to 100 with JG around 23. There are many examples of players improving rapidly at the 22-23 years of age. Grimes James and Roberts all had pretty unsatisfactory loans before they kicked on. James could not get into a modest Shrewsbury team.

I do wonder if Cullen is "hard enough" and prepared to get hurt by getting on the end of crosses. I recall an incident where Bidwell put in a peach of a cross and it went through Cullen. I would have been bread and butter for Bony or Ayew.

Shrewsbury sent DJ back 4 games into the season so they could sign now-PL regular Ben Godfrey. They couldn't afford both and were short in midfield. He'd had an injury in the summer and was struggling to match the fitness of their senior options in preseason (as their manager moaned at the time). It's not really an apt comparison to the players we've sent out who haven't made much of an impression over half/full seasons of involvement.

Roberts' Bristol Rovers loan was disastrous planning. Wanted as injury backup only for a manager who had his favourites and didn't rotate. Can't just push these kids out the door and expect them to get games if they're good enough. Anywhere will not do.
This team as it stands next season on 13:44 - Apr 18 with 615 viewsReslovenSwan1

This team as it stands next season on 13:36 - Apr 18 by jasper_T

Shrewsbury sent DJ back 4 games into the season so they could sign now-PL regular Ben Godfrey. They couldn't afford both and were short in midfield. He'd had an injury in the summer and was struggling to match the fitness of their senior options in preseason (as their manager moaned at the time). It's not really an apt comparison to the players we've sent out who haven't made much of an impression over half/full seasons of involvement.

Roberts' Bristol Rovers loan was disastrous planning. Wanted as injury backup only for a manager who had his favourites and didn't rotate. Can't just push these kids out the door and expect them to get games if they're good enough. Anywhere will not do.

Grimes was another that went to Leeds and Blackburn without doing much. He got into a groove reportedly only when he got regular games time at lowly Northampton out of sight and consideration with 40 plus games.

Dhanda at 23 has not played much. These players cud end up like Jazz Richards who has a long career of playing 10 games a season. 150 total.

I would be interested to see what happens to Cameron Evans who got 30 games in RoI.

This team as it stands next season on 13:56 - Apr 18 with 600 viewsLuther27

This team as it stands next season on 12:14 - Apr 18 by jasper_T

If we're to be a sustainable club we've no option but to follow the Brentford blueprint of selling our best and recruiting well afterwards. They lost Maupay and then Watkins in successive seasons before Toney got them promoted. No one wants to lose a goalscorer like Piroe but if people are doing their jobs then candidates to replace him are being lined up.

My point is though Jasper it’s constant rebuilding. Regarding Downes and Piroe the network did their job well, maybe we’ll get someone even better. However I feel we should be trimming the fat rather than sell.
This team as it stands next season on 13:56 - Apr 18 with 597 viewskrunchykarrot

The thing is players need to adapt to the RM way, some are adapting as they have the pace/nous etc. Some pros like Bennet Smith Fulton will need to find other clubs.

As ive said before Wolfe looks a player was unaware of how nserious his injury was so i will cut him some slack, but i cant be the only one who thinks he is undecisive running into defenders. Christy looks as if he can do a job if he gets fitter but for how much. Pato i will sell in a heartbeat if we are offered good money.

Give the young players plenty of mins to see where we and they are.
This team as it stands next season on 14:12 - Apr 18 with 574 viewsRichardO

Could Christie do a job in the back three, if so would be worth having his versatility next year. Would try playing a youngster at RWB next couple games so we know if they are as good or better than what we have at the moment, might end up cheaper than loan players nice having quality loans in but how can you build a foundation with them unless they stay?
This team as it stands next season on 14:26 - Apr 18 with 557 viewsWhiterockin

This team as it stands next season on 14:12 - Apr 18 by RichardO

Could Christie do a job in the back three, if so would be worth having his versatility next year. Would try playing a youngster at RWB next couple games so we know if they are as good or better than what we have at the moment, might end up cheaper than loan players nice having quality loans in but how can you build a foundation with them unless they stay?

Personally I think the back 3 area is covered with Naughton, Cabango and Latibeaudiere or Manning. Hopefully Cooper will kick on and In emergency we have Downes.
This team as it stands next season on 14:26 - Apr 18 with 556 viewsjasper_T

This team as it stands next season on 14:12 - Apr 18 by RichardO

We don't have anyone in the u23s ready to step up in that position. Apart from Joe Thomas who signed from the Welsh leagues during the season we've been having to play left-footers down the right. Even the trialists have been left wing backs.

Rushesha's a good player but he's not an attacking fullback. Done well in the Naughton role but very small for a future centre half (5'8/9).

Would be cheaper still to not sign Christie and play youngsters in the back three when depth is needed.
This team as it stands next season on 14:27 - Apr 18 with 550 viewsDr_Winston

We either sell someone for a big fee to clear any deficit and provide funds for RM to add genuine depth in the key areas needed or we go again with a reduced squad.

Those are the only two options.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024