Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We need to keep Illy and Willy 23:11 - May 9 with 5029 viewsnumptydumpty

I doubt one or both will not be here next season but I feel even with brief time together on the pitch on Monday, the class, the surprising pass etc, clearly showed the x factor the two combined represent.

Yes we need money to rebuild.

Currently only Sam Field has value in our squad but the potential of the sum of these two is still there despite both having poor seasons this term.

If we have to rebuild other areas on a shoestring so be it.

But reality is its unlikely to be for Ainsworth
[Post edited 9 May 2023 23:14]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 12:03 - May 12 with 940 viewsSheffieldHoop

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 10:29 - May 12 by Hastings_Hoops

Not necessarily focussing on what we might get for him… I’m interested to see why he gets for himself at the end of next season by way of contract elsewhere… probably a lot less than a new reduced offer at QPR!

CW can go. Evident he's not going to be here under GA.
IC I fear is becoming a bit of a busted flush. Not a bad player by any means but also not exactly taking us up anytime soon. All a bit Hogan Ephraim.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 12:11 - May 12 with 934 viewsNorthernr

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 12:03 - May 12 by SheffieldHoop

CW can go. Evident he's not going to be here under GA.
IC I fear is becoming a bit of a busted flush. Not a bad player by any means but also not exactly taking us up anytime soon. All a bit Hogan Ephraim.

I'm genuinely fascinated in where Chair goes and how he does there.

He's rated much higher outside QPR than he is by QPR fans. There was a long thread of Championship stats I read through yesterday and Chair featured very highly (like top two or three in the league) in things like chance creation, passes into the opposition boxes. When we had Ryan Manning he mostly got coated off for his inability to defend, but he ticked a lot of these trendy, modern analytics boxes and got a move, and is now doing the same at Swansea. The way football is now, analytics led, there are these weird players who do very well.

My suspicion is you put him in a better team and he'll be very good, I think he often carries a woeful team down here. But could well be wrong. Like I say, very interested to see what and where is next for him.
We need to keep Illy and Willy on 12:15 - May 12 with 913 viewsgazza1

He is decent, works very hard and appears to have a good attitude. Plenty of technical ability as well. Could go higher.
We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:05 - May 12 with 851 viewsTheChef

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 12:15 - May 12 by gazza1

He is decent, works very hard and appears to have a good attitude. Plenty of technical ability as well. Could go higher.

Yes agreed on that and yes I think he could do a lot more / be more productive. Still tends to hold on to the ball too long and not have his head up enough - Beale seemed to help him improve but has gone back to his old habits since.

Still, would be a big miss if he did go.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:16 - May 12 with 829 viewsstantheman10

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 12:11 - May 12 by Northernr

He's rated much higher outside QPR than he is by QPR fans. There was a long thread of Championship stats I read through yesterday and Chair featured very highly (like top two or three in the league) in things like chance creation, passes into the opposition boxes. When we had Ryan Manning he mostly got coated off for his inability to defend, but he ticked a lot of these trendy, modern analytics boxes and got a move, and is now doing the same at Swansea. The way football is now, analytics led, there are these weird players who do very well.

My suspicion is you put him in a better team and he'll be very good, I think he often carries a woeful team down here. But could well be wrong. Like I say, very interested to see what and where is next for him.

All players whatever ability, look/become better playing with better players so if Chair goes to a better team than us (which wouldn't be hard at the moment) then he will almost certainly progress as a player.
We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:21 - May 12 with 823 viewsNorthernr

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:16 - May 12 by stantheman10

All players whatever ability, look/become better playing with better players so if Chair goes to a better team than us (which wouldn't be hard at the moment) then he will almost certainly progress as a player.

Not necessarily mate. Several examples of players I really, really liked in the division below who got their move up into Championship who once they got to playing with better players, and of course against better players, just weren't at that level and never progressed to it.

I would have battered my granny for us to sign Jon Nolan when Ipswich did, for instance, having seen him extensively for Lincoln and Grimsby -as it turned out, not good enough for this level, Ipswich get relegated, he goes back to being a jobbing League One/Two player.

Tom Bayliss another, signed by Preston from (then lower division) Coventry, I thought one of the best buys that summer. Never made it there, now at Shrewsbury.

I rate Chair, I think you put him in the right time he'll fly, I think he's underrated by a lot of QPR fans, but we'll see...
We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:33 - May 12 with 784 viewsSheffieldHoop

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 12:11 - May 12 by Northernr

I think I can remember saying to you on the terrace at Borehamwood a few years back that I never thought Chair would make it as a championship player - he's already achieved a lot more than I thought he ever would for us. Similar vibe to Ozzy, I really am desperate for him to do as well as possible in his career.

And perhaps you are right, but also worth considering, he's only really our best player when the rest aren't fully at it. We've had spells where Bright Osayi Samuel, Chris Willock, and others have surpassed him and either got their move, injured or just started phoning it in.

Doubt you'll have any sympathy for this POV whatsoever, but I do believe one of the reasons it didn't really click for us this season is that a lot of the Cat A academy graduate types couldn't get used to playing with Chair. I hear quite a lot, in their opinion, he holds onto the ball for way too long. But then, I would take Chair's contribution to the club over theirs any day, so it's a tricky one.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:42 - May 12 with 778 viewsNorthernr

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:33 - May 12 by SheffieldHoop

I think I can remember saying to you on the terrace at Borehamwood a few years back that I never thought Chair would make it as a championship player - he's already achieved a lot more than I thought he ever would for us. Similar vibe to Ozzy, I really am desperate for him to do as well as possible in his career.

And perhaps you are right, but also worth considering, he's only really our best player when the rest aren't fully at it. We've had spells where Bright Osayi Samuel, Chris Willock, and others have surpassed him and either got their move, injured or just started phoning it in.

Doubt you'll have any sympathy for this POV whatsoever, but I do believe one of the reasons it didn't really click for us this season is that a lot of the Cat A academy graduate types couldn't get used to playing with Chair. I hear quite a lot, in their opinion, he holds onto the ball for way too long. But then, I would take Chair's contribution to the club over theirs any day, so it's a tricky one.

No, i would actually fully agree with that POV (just not from those twts )

He does definitely hang on too long. Sometimes I think that's through frustration, sometimes I think he tries to do too much to try and solve bad situations and the worse the situation gets the more frustrated and try hard he gets - like an angry little eight-year-old.

I've also definitely seen him move out into space, get his head up, see the pass present itself, then realise who the pass is (Kakay he does this to a lot, Drewe as well) and decide to turn back and try something else himself rather than give that ball to that player.

I guess again the argument is if he's playing with better players he'll pass to them more because he'll trust them. But, generally, that sort of playground sht wouldn't wash at a 'bigger' club or with better players.
Login to get fewer ads

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 15:07 - May 12 with 719 viewskensalriser

My favourite player from the last couple of seasons. If he has any sense he'll look for another club where he can progress, sadly. Some of the criticism aimed at him is a bit over the top. Yeah he's not perfect, that's why he's at QPR.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 15:11 - May 12 with 698 viewsR_from_afar

When we talk about Gazball and midfielders like Illy and Willy, I think we need to see Gareth's "reign" so far in context: all of it bar the last game has been a desperate attempt to rescue a team seemingly nailed on for relegation. I can't be sure but I think, at least to begin with, his approach will be more possession based and more progressive based next season. Note that I say "more"....

I certainly hope so.

For the second half of the season, we were woeful and our midfield was a big part of the problem. Amos, Chair and Willock were out of form and/or injured, JoJo was poor, Dozzell was poor, Tim was prone to lapses of concentration when the opposition had the ball. Most of the time, Field was a one man army in there.

Our midfield was one of our greatest weaknesses, creating little and providing inadequate cover for our defence. It was not a good place for the ball to be for long because we were likely to do little with it other than just give it away. Now, that needs to be addressed and a team with a weak midfield is living on borrowed time, but I think that is why we have seen the tactics which have got a lot of us worried. Bear in mind too that we don't carry much of a goal threat (another thing we must urgently address), so conceding one, or God forbid, two almost guaranteed we would lose, or draw, at best.

Time will tell but I think Ainsworth was being ruthlessly pragmatic in his attempt to keep us up. He wanted minimum risk football which mostly kept the ball away for our misfiring midfield, to keep the opposition's score down and keep us in games, all to scrap our way to survival.

I have no inside knowledge and have no way of knowing what our approach will be next season but I strongly believe Ainsworth saw where the problem (toothless attack, weak midfield, defensive weaknesses across the team, mental resilience issues too which made comebacks from going behind difficult) was and came up with a drastic short term plan.

Perhaps...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 15:36 - May 12 with 667 viewsTheChef

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 15:11 - May 12 by R_from_afar

When we talk about Gazball and midfielders like Illy and Willy, I think we need to see Gareth's "reign" so far in context: all of it bar the last game has been a desperate attempt to rescue a team seemingly nailed on for relegation. I can't be sure but I think, at least to begin with, his approach will be more possession based and more progressive based next season. Note that I say "more"....

I certainly hope so.

For the second half of the season, we were woeful and our midfield was a big part of the problem. Amos, Chair and Willock were out of form and/or injured, JoJo was poor, Dozzell was poor, Tim was prone to lapses of concentration when the opposition had the ball. Most of the time, Field was a one man army in there.

Our midfield was one of our greatest weaknesses, creating little and providing inadequate cover for our defence. It was not a good place for the ball to be for long because we were likely to do little with it other than just give it away. Now, that needs to be addressed and a team with a weak midfield is living on borrowed time, but I think that is why we have seen the tactics which have got a lot of us worried. Bear in mind too that we don't carry much of a goal threat (another thing we must urgently address), so conceding one, or God forbid, two almost guaranteed we would lose, or draw, at best.

Time will tell but I think Ainsworth was being ruthlessly pragmatic in his attempt to keep us up. He wanted minimum risk football which mostly kept the ball away for our misfiring midfield, to keep the opposition's score down and keep us in games, all to scrap our way to survival.

I have no inside knowledge and have no way of knowing what our approach will be next season but I strongly believe Ainsworth saw where the problem (toothless attack, weak midfield, defensive weaknesses across the team, mental resilience issues too which made comebacks from going behind difficult) was and came up with a drastic short term plan.

Perhaps...

Nice one RFA, agreed with that.

Much as we moaned about the defence and conceding goals, it all pretty much stemmed from a midfield consisting of Field and AN Other. Like you say without being able to select players there consistently and giving the ball away cheaply then you needed to find a solution around that, however unattractive that was.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 19:17 - May 12 with 555 viewsBurnleyhoop

We need to keep Illy and Willy on 14:14 - May 11 by Antti_Heinola

Illy didn't go to Wycombe.

Stevenage i think.

The best player to ever play for them according to their manager.

Is and always will be a class act.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024