Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The ospreys new ground? 12:27 - May 23 with 10658 viewsRhonddaSwans

https://pembrokeshire-herald.com/93226/swansea-council-hopes-sports-ground-will-

Poll: Euro 2024 Winner 🏆 Predictions

The ospreys new ground? on 15:39 - May 23 with 3194 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well they can't go to the Gnoll so St helens makes sense.
The ospreys new ground? on 16:03 - May 23 with 3176 viewsAnotherJohn

The ospreys new ground? on 15:39 - May 23 by SullutaCreturned

Well they can't go to the Gnoll so St helens makes sense.

I always thought it was the most likely location, but I am surprised by the suggestion that this might depend on the cricket remaining. This would probably mean a rugby stadium with only two sides close to the pitch.
The ospreys new ground? on 16:08 - May 23 with 3149 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 16:03 - May 23 by AnotherJohn

I always thought it was the most likely location, but I am surprised by the suggestion that this might depend on the cricket remaining. This would probably mean a rugby stadium with only two sides close to the pitch.

From the article in the opening post.

The council would want any approved plan to accommodate the successful relocation of Swansea Cricket Club in a manner agreed by them and others.

We’re talking with Swansea CC about helping them relocate to an alternative facility suitable for their games in the top division of the South Wales Premier Cricket League.
[Post edited 23 May 16:10]

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

The ospreys new ground? on 19:22 - May 23 with 3015 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bridgend.gov.uk/news/council-and-ospreys-confirm-talks-about-possibl
The ospreys new ground? on 19:59 - May 23 with 2956 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 19:22 - May 23 by pencoedjack

https://www.bridgend.gov.uk/news/council-and-ospreys-confirm-talks-about-possibl

From what I've heard is the plans are in Swansea to turn the pitch around and build a hotel on the Rec side of the ground to also house hospitality. IMO this is not practical unless the Rec becomes a proper car park and there would also need to be an access road to service the hotel. Plus there is also only access from the Mumbles direction. Personally I believe any redevelopment would need to be at the Patti end. It would also depend on how much the council buys into the project.
[Post edited 23 May 20:25]

The ospreys new ground? on 20:03 - May 23 with 2933 viewsReslovenSwan1

It represents a policy of shrinkage. I was in the Liberty a with 19,000 others to see them play Wasps.

The problem is the lack of fans. The correct answer is promotion good rugby and advertising.

The Welsh rugby answer to fewer fans is a smaller stadium.

Once they have shrunk to 2000 and they will be merged with the Sgarlets

Wise sage since Toshack era

The ospreys new ground? on 20:11 - May 23 with 2925 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 20:03 - May 23 by ReslovenSwan1

It represents a policy of shrinkage. I was in the Liberty a with 19,000 others to see them play Wasps.

The problem is the lack of fans. The correct answer is promotion good rugby and advertising.

The Scarlets currently have a bigger fan base and development structure. It's not always been the case. There is no way the Scarlets would merge.

The ospreys new ground? on 20:25 - May 23 with 2886 viewspencoedjack

The ospreys new ground? on 20:11 - May 23 by Whiterockin

The Scarlets currently have a bigger fan base and development structure. It's not always been the case. There is no way the Scarlets would merge.

I believe there have been decent crowds not just for recent Ospreys game but other egg games as well hence why Bridgend council are in talks

Seems to make sense it moves to Bridgend?
Login to get fewer ads

The ospreys new ground? on 20:28 - May 23 with 2884 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 20:25 - May 23 by pencoedjack

I believe there have been decent crowds not just for recent Ospreys game but other egg games as well hence why Bridgend council are in talks

Seems to make sense it moves to Bridgend?

Says someone from Pencoed. The money is in Swansea and IMO that's where they will stay. I know many season ticket holders who have not renewed until they commit to swansea.

The ospreys new ground? on 20:55 - May 23 with 2841 viewsKeithHaynes

The ospreys new ground? on 19:22 - May 23 by pencoedjack

That should just about destroy any identity with Swansea.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The ospreys new ground? on 21:00 - May 23 with 2825 viewspencoedjack

The ospreys new ground? on 20:28 - May 23 by Whiterockin

Says someone from Pencoed. The money is in Swansea and IMO that's where they will stay. I know many season ticket holders who have not renewed until they commit to swansea.

I have no interest tbh wouldn’t open the curtains if they were playing in my back garden.

If the Swansea public have little interest why not move it somewhere that seems to be showing some?

I think the Bridgend egg chasers were pretty annoyed when the regions were created but hey ho I’m just stating what’s seems a good solution.
The ospreys new ground? on 21:11 - May 23 with 2811 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 21:00 - May 23 by pencoedjack

I have no interest tbh wouldn’t open the curtains if they were playing in my back garden.

If the Swansea public have little interest why not move it somewhere that seems to be showing some?

I think the Bridgend egg chasers were pretty annoyed when the regions were created but hey ho I’m just stating what’s seems a good solution.

That's fair but sadly rugby is all about money at the moment. The match in London generated the highest spend per head and gross but not practical. Bridgend is far behind Swansea and financially needs to have a significant financial input by Bridgend Council, but is that practical under current financial circumstances.

The ospreys new ground? on 21:39 - May 23 with 2772 viewspencoedjack

The ospreys new ground? on 21:11 - May 23 by Whiterockin

That's fair but sadly rugby is all about money at the moment. The match in London generated the highest spend per head and gross but not practical. Bridgend is far behind Swansea and financially needs to have a significant financial input by Bridgend Council, but is that practical under current financial circumstances.

Why is there a need for significant financial input?

The brewery field is a decent enough ground which holds around 7000 ideally located close to the train station for any Jacks who want to come & watch.

I really do not care but it seems a logical option surely?
The ospreys new ground? on 23:07 - May 23 with 2709 viewsKeithHaynes

The ospreys new ground? on 21:39 - May 23 by pencoedjack

The brewery field is a decent enough ground which holds around 7000 ideally located close to the train station for any Jacks who want to come & watch.

They hardly turn up in Swansea these days.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The ospreys new ground? on 08:17 - May 24 with 2612 viewswhiterock

The ospreys new ground? on 21:39 - May 23 by pencoedjack

You make a fair point but the Ospreys are a Swansea/Neath merger, Bridgend was merged with Ponypridd, before that went tits up, I have no time for the regions in any case, enjoyed the traditional club rugby where you'd get over 10,000 at St Helens to watch a local derby. WRU shot themselves in the foot, club rugby is the only way forward but those in power are too scared to admit they were wrong.
The ospreys new ground? on 13:24 - May 24 with 2459 viewsReslovenSwan1

The ospreys new ground? on 08:17 - May 24 by whiterock

You make a fair point but the Ospreys are a Swansea/Neath merger, Bridgend was merged with Ponypridd, before that went tits up, I have no time for the regions in any case, enjoyed the traditional club rugby where you'd get over 10,000 at St Helens to watch a local derby. WRU shot themselves in the foot, club rugby is the only way forward but those in power are too scared to admit they were wrong.

The old game was fantastic friendly and had an emotional attachment. It would have led to the best Welsh players being taken to England if they were any good. It had no future.

I saw the best Neath team for a decade taken apart by Munster at the Millennium Stadium. All the club teams still exist and play in the WRU league. Welsh fans had their head in the sand. Regional rugby was inevitable and the fans were dragged there shouting and screaming. There were only four options Cardiff Swansea Llanelli and Newport able to generate fans .

These clubs should look for synergies with football like the Ospreys had. Sadly they have succumbed to "independence" thoughts. Redevelopment of St Helens might generate some spare cash but they will be asking for handouts again.

The ospreys new ground? on 13:34 - May 24 with 2449 viewsRhonddaSwans

https://swanseabaynews.com/2024/05/23/bridgend-or-swansea-battle-on-for-future-h

They are also thinking of Bridgend I know it will be awful to lose a region from Swansea. I Went through it years ago with The Celtic Warriors.
But hopefully then their disillusioned fans , come and support the Swans.
The way I see it is the vetch was awful on game days for getting in and out.
They are going to run into the same problems there.
Bridgend had alot of money invested down there years ago so is probably the cheaper option.

Poll: Euro 2024 Winner 🏆 Predictions

The ospreys new ground? on 13:45 - May 24 with 2420 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 13:34 - May 24 by RhonddaSwans

https://swanseabaynews.com/2024/05/23/bridgend-or-swansea-battle-on-for-future-h

They are also thinking of Bridgend I know it will be awful to lose a region from Swansea. I Went through it years ago with The Celtic Warriors.
But hopefully then their disillusioned fans , come and support the Swans.
The way I see it is the vetch was awful on game days for getting in and out.
They are going to run into the same problems there.
Bridgend had alot of money invested down there years ago so is probably the cheaper option.

“We’re committed to working in partnership with others to ensure the development and delivery of sport in Swansea at community, student and elite levels.”

The university are very keen to work with the Ospreys as it would be a major draw for elite students. This could well be big factor in Swanseas favour. The University is massive for the economy of Swansea and have considerable influence in decision making in the area.

The ospreys new ground? on 15:48 - May 24 with 2360 viewsSullutaCreturned

The ospreys new ground? on 20:03 - May 23 by ReslovenSwan1

Sorry but t's a policy of reality. The crowds have been poor for some time, their fundingfrom the WRU was cut and the product on offer has been poor. Good promo and advertising may help but it can't cure all their ills and then there's the rugby, they cannot afford te uality players anymore, they are broke.

The whole of Welsh rugby is suffering because of what the WRU has done with regionalisation, favouritism and poor policy making. They even struggle to sell out for internationals now becuse they are more concernd with profit than the quality of rugby, they encourage pissheads because beer sales are profit. They have increasing trouble inside the stadium on matchdays.

The WRU have totally screwed things up.

Why would they merge with the Scarlets? Do you think fans will travel to Llanelli?
The ospreys new ground? on 17:12 - May 24 with 2320 viewsTreforys_Jack

Llanelli should never have been allowed to be a stand alone region, ridiculous, 2 regions within a few miles of each other.
The ospreys new ground? on 17:15 - May 24 with 2313 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 17:12 - May 24 by Treforys_Jack

Llanelli should never have been allowed to be a stand alone region, ridiculous, 2 regions within a few miles of each other.

Cardiff and Newport?

The ospreys new ground? on 17:49 - May 24 with 2237 viewsReslovenSwan1

The ospreys new ground? on 17:15 - May 24 by Whiterockin

Cardiff and Newport?

In 2022 the population of Llanelli was around 50,000 wile the population of Newport was close on 320,000. 6 times bigger.

The Sgarlets could survive long term with a local billionaire backer. Llanelli is not Monaco

Newport have synergies with Huw Jenkins's Newport county.

If there is going to be three then the Sgarlets will have to go.

The ospreys new ground? on 18:05 - May 24 with 2221 viewsWhiterockin

The ospreys new ground? on 17:49 - May 24 by ReslovenSwan1

In 2022 the population of Llanelli was around 50,000 wile the population of Newport was close on 320,000. 6 times bigger.

The Sgarlets could survive long term with a local billionaire backer. Llanelli is not Monaco

Newport have synergies with Huw Jenkins's Newport county.

If there is going to be three then the Sgarlets will have to go.

The Ospreys feeder area is Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot and Bridgend to the south and north through the valleys. The Scarlets feeder area is Llanelli and the whole of west Wales and North to Aberystwyth and across. All rugby clubs feed through the respective regions, with age groups feeding sub regions before coming under the Ospreys and Scarlets. Never mind the population, I would be willing to wager that there are more rugby players and clubs in the Ospreys and Scarlets regions than the Blues and Dragons.

EDIT
This may give you some idea of the scale involved. I'm no Scarlets supporter, but they are going nowhere.

https://www.scarlets.wales/rugby-player-pathway/
[Post edited 24 May 18:11]

The ospreys new ground? on 18:39 - May 24 with 2178 viewsmax936

The ospreys new ground? on 18:05 - May 24 by Whiterockin

The Ospreys feeder area is Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot and Bridgend to the south and north through the valleys. The Scarlets feeder area is Llanelli and the whole of west Wales and North to Aberystwyth and across. All rugby clubs feed through the respective regions, with age groups feeding sub regions before coming under the Ospreys and Scarlets. Never mind the population, I would be willing to wager that there are more rugby players and clubs in the Ospreys and Scarlets regions than the Blues and Dragons.

EDIT
This may give you some idea of the scale involved. I'm no Scarlets supporter, but they are going nowhere.

https://www.scarlets.wales/rugby-player-pathway/
[Post edited 24 May 18:11]

I started watching Neath when I moved up to Neath used to enjoy my time spent watching with a couple of my brother-inlaws and a mad keen mate.

I recall one mad game up at Ebbw Vale watching with said mate, Neath were struggling throughout the first have and it looked a lost cause, I think were well down on the score can't remember exactly may have been somin like 20-5, the big guns come out for the 2nd half and produced a masterclass of Rugby, it was a bit of a rough afternoon with the conditions not so much rain, but the wind, always the same up Ebbw though, had a few fishing butties up there, one in particular sadly passed now and we fished all of the water's up and around there and it was nearly always rough,

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The ospreys new ground? on 19:08 - May 24 with 2141 viewsSullutaCreturned

The ospreys new ground? on 18:39 - May 24 by max936

I started watching Neath when I moved up to Neath used to enjoy my time spent watching with a couple of my brother-inlaws and a mad keen mate.

I recall one mad game up at Ebbw Vale watching with said mate, Neath were struggling throughout the first have and it looked a lost cause, I think were well down on the score can't remember exactly may have been somin like 20-5, the big guns come out for the 2nd half and produced a masterclass of Rugby, it was a bit of a rough afternoon with the conditions not so much rain, but the wind, always the same up Ebbw though, had a few fishing butties up there, one in particular sadly passed now and we fished all of the water's up and around there and it was nearly always rough,

I've been to Moscow to watch Wales, it was minus 18, I have also been to Ebbw Vale to watch the Whites (pre regions) and Ebbw was colder. The coldest place I have ever been.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024