Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With hindsight 09:56 - Jan 15 with 2824 viewsDalenet

Letting COG go so that we could cash in on his value rather than let him walk for free at the end of this season will look like a poor decision come May. Surely our decline this season will cost us far more than £300k. Never mind our defence, we can't score goals to save our life (averaging less than 1 a game) and he was a great play maker/holder of the ball. I know I shouldn't cry over spilt milk, but that decision will cost us far more than the current managerial cock up
With hindsight on 10:01 - Jan 15 with 2057 viewsThe_DJ

One of many disgraceful decisions leading to where we are now.

'there is money available for his replacement'

With hindsight on 10:08 - Jan 15 with 2037 viewshxdale

It was a joke letting COG go
With hindsight on 10:14 - Jan 15 with 2023 viewsfitzochris

It wasn't really a decision for the board. COG himself wanted to go and play for Sheffield Wednesday. He said so himself in an interview after he left. He has a real chance of Championship football next season, something he wouldn't have had with us even had he stayed. That's not to mention the fact Wednesday are paying him far more as a basic wage than we could even get near with what is said to be a "record-breaking" offer.

The COG thing is a smokescreen for our real failings this season. Remember, Hilly lost key players season after season, but replaced them expertly. Steve Eyre couldn't do that with COG because he had neither the contacts nor the knowledge of players at this level to do so.

This brings me to the board. Appointing Eyre, knowing his shortcomings, was a huge mistake. Or maybe he told them he knew more about League One than he actually did, who knows?

If the board wanted to go down the route of not appointing a journeyman manager, then Beech, Pemberton and McAuley would have been the better shouts, as at least they have visible experience of dealing with players at our level. I'm not saying they would've been the right shouts, just more understandable ones, given the criteria.

As it is, we're in too big a mess now to dodge relegation in my opinion. Even Wycombe and Chesterfield a showing some spirit these days.

That aboration yesterday will take longer to fix than we have games left this season, so it doesn't matter who is in charge in all honesty.

Eyre should have been gone a lot sooner and then, only then, might we have had a glimmer of hope.

What hurts the most is how quickly the Hill leagacy has unravelled. Had he stayed he would have lost COG and Dawson too, but I know he would've found suitable replacements, even if he didn't think he could himself. We may have struggled this season, but we wouldn't be witnessing the clueless performances week after week that we've seen thus far.

For me it's a root and branch exercise for us to get back to being a decent footballing side again, but sadly that will be taking place in League Two.

Not even a stop gap manager who plays ugly will drag us out of this mess now. The rot seems to have gone too deep.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

With hindsight on 10:23 - Jan 15 with 1996 viewsAndyH

With hindsight on 10:14 - Jan 15 by fitzochris

It wasn't really a decision for the board. COG himself wanted to go and play for Sheffield Wednesday. He said so himself in an interview after he left. He has a real chance of Championship football next season, something he wouldn't have had with us even had he stayed. That's not to mention the fact Wednesday are paying him far more as a basic wage than we could even get near with what is said to be a "record-breaking" offer.

The COG thing is a smokescreen for our real failings this season. Remember, Hilly lost key players season after season, but replaced them expertly. Steve Eyre couldn't do that with COG because he had neither the contacts nor the knowledge of players at this level to do so.

This brings me to the board. Appointing Eyre, knowing his shortcomings, was a huge mistake. Or maybe he told them he knew more about League One than he actually did, who knows?

If the board wanted to go down the route of not appointing a journeyman manager, then Beech, Pemberton and McAuley would have been the better shouts, as at least they have visible experience of dealing with players at our level. I'm not saying they would've been the right shouts, just more understandable ones, given the criteria.

As it is, we're in too big a mess now to dodge relegation in my opinion. Even Wycombe and Chesterfield a showing some spirit these days.

That aboration yesterday will take longer to fix than we have games left this season, so it doesn't matter who is in charge in all honesty.

Eyre should have been gone a lot sooner and then, only then, might we have had a glimmer of hope.

What hurts the most is how quickly the Hill leagacy has unravelled. Had he stayed he would have lost COG and Dawson too, but I know he would've found suitable replacements, even if he didn't think he could himself. We may have struggled this season, but we wouldn't be witnessing the clueless performances week after week that we've seen thus far.

For me it's a root and branch exercise for us to get back to being a decent footballing side again, but sadly that will be taking place in League Two.

Not even a stop gap manager who plays ugly will drag us out of this mess now. The rot seems to have gone too deep.

O'Grady was offered 4k a week to stay at Dale... the biggest offer to a player in the history of the club.... Wednesday trebled it!

He didn't want to stay and made that very clear.

The decision made itself... he had to go..
With hindsight on 10:26 - Jan 15 with 1981 viewsTVOS1907

With hindsight on 10:01 - Jan 15 by The_DJ

One of many disgraceful decisions leading to where we are now.

'there is money available for his replacement'

There is/was.

Eyre couldn't spend it before the end of August (unless you think we should have paid the likes of Kuqi and Parkin £x thousands per week, where x is anything between 5 and 10) and he then frittered it away on the wages of hopeless loan signings.

Add that to lost revenue from falling gates and limited income from other sources and any money that was there has probably disappeared now.

EDIT: Or maybe we should have increased our bid to sign Shaun Harrad. How many goals has he scored at Bury, not to mention the three-year contract.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

With hindsight on 10:39 - Jan 15 with 1949 viewsColDale

surely it was in the club's financial interest for O'Grady to go rather than COG's interest. Any wage he may have got off SWFC last Summer would be nothing in comparison to what he could have commanded had he been available on a free transfer. I think we as a club considered ourselves to have been stung when Dagnall and TK left on freebies twelve months earlier, and didn't want a repeat. It's a pointless question I guess, but would Hill have sanctioned the sale of COG this way? Would COG have still wanted to go as much?

I know club whispers like to spread myths that departing players at this club were on the brink of going on strike if not granted their departure. But it's perfectly reasonable to allow players to leave only if stupid offers come in. This happens at other clubs and there's no reasons to suspect it won't be the same at Rochdale. How much of those COG funds have been wasted on substandard replacements?

Sadly, the majority of our professionalism departed from our football club on 1st June.
With hindsight on 11:44 - Jan 15 with 1884 viewsThe_DJ

With hindsight on 10:26 - Jan 15 by TVOS1907

There is/was.

Eyre couldn't spend it before the end of August (unless you think we should have paid the likes of Kuqi and Parkin £x thousands per week, where x is anything between 5 and 10) and he then frittered it away on the wages of hopeless loan signings.

Add that to lost revenue from falling gates and limited income from other sources and any money that was there has probably disappeared now.

EDIT: Or maybe we should have increased our bid to sign Shaun Harrad. How many goals has he scored at Bury, not to mention the three-year contract.

maybe we just accept relegation and struggle next year with the shower of shit playing staff we have.

Statements about signing replacements should never be made until deals are done and O'Grady should never have been allowed to go BEFORE a new player was sorted.

With hindsight on 11:48 - Jan 15 with 1861 viewspnc4eva1

With hindsight on 11:44 - Jan 15 by The_DJ

maybe we just accept relegation and struggle next year with the shower of shit playing staff we have.

Statements about signing replacements should never be made until deals are done and O'Grady should never have been allowed to go BEFORE a new player was sorted.

O'Grady refused to play for Dale after the Wednesday deal was put in front of him. As for finding a replacement that would have been almost impossible.

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Login to get fewer ads

With hindsight on 11:51 - Jan 15 with 1854 viewsThe_DJ

With hindsight on 11:48 - Jan 15 by pnc4eva1

O'Grady refused to play for Dale after the Wednesday deal was put in front of him. As for finding a replacement that would have been almost impossible.

Who came on as sub at Hillsboro ,
An O'Grady lookalike ?
With hindsight on 12:01 - Jan 15 with 1833 viewsmaybee

With hindsight on 11:48 - Jan 15 by pnc4eva1

No he didn't.
With hindsight on 12:05 - Jan 15 with 1826 viewssandylaner1

i remember ken boon being damning of the sale of COG at the time and saying the decision would probably relegate us. it looks so far he was right..

obviously there have been lots of others factors alongside but no one can deny that if COG was still here we wouldn't be in this mess.

and someone mentioned how the board didn't want to be stung like what happened with dagnall and TK to leave on a free. BUT THEY HELPED US GET PROMOTED so that 'sting' is irrelevant. if we sold them when they both had 1 year left we may never of experienced promotion.
With hindsight on 13:18 - Jan 15 with 1762 viewsTVOS1907

With hindsight on 11:44 - Jan 15 by The_DJ

Who said we should just accept relegation?

I doubt our position would have been much different with O'Grady. Eyre would have probably played him at left-back.

Me thinks that £4.15 pint of Peroni has gone to your head.

With hindsight on 13:29 - Jan 15 with 1735 viewselectricblue

With hindsight on 10:14 - Jan 15 by fitzochris

If hill stayed would Dale be in this position? I like to think not.
Im also led to believe that hillcroft intended dale signings went to barnsley with him..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

With hindsight on 13:33 - Jan 15 with 1724 viewsRAFCBLUE

The distinct lack of planning over the four seasons of Hillcroft within the top eschalons of the club has led to where we are now.

We knew Craig Dawson was going in August 2010 and had nearly 9 months to identify and recruit the centre half that would fill the gap. That lack of planning has cost us.

We knew that Hillcroft would one day depart, yet seemingly hadn't as a club highlighted the type of successor we would like, leading to the appointment of a previously unknown part of the Man City back room staff followed by our own Youth Team coach. That lack of planning has cost us.

We have had three of the most successful seasons in the clubs history, including a trip to Wembley and an automatic promotion - yet the commercial opportunities that abounded were not taken nor structures put in place to gain the information of the circa 2,000 floating fans who have now deserted us. That lack of planning has cost us.

We allowed Wiseman and Done to sign for Barnsley with no replacements lined up and when we were in a financially solid position to at least hold out to the end of the relevant transfer window. That conscious decision to divest two of last seasons starting eleven has cost us.

We allowed COG to go before the end of the transfer window with no replacement lined up. By this point we had on paper the money from Dawson, Hill, Flitcroft and the back room team, Wiseman and Done. The cashing in is irrelevant. The lack of planning again has cost us.

We sacked Steve Eyre (rightly or wrongly) for not getting the performance out of a group of players. We did so without a succession plan - another lack of planning.

How many times will we shoot ourselves in the foot? Or hope that we achieve when other clubs are planning?

The planning for next season should start today - we are in a position where we can prepare properly for football in the League below, or hopefully this league if we can get the right man and the right results. 33 points is not insurmountable in 21 games but it will need proper planning and preparation to get it right.

I have ever expectation that at the end of this season we will lose JK, Widdowson and Tutte to clubs further up the food chain due to lack of proper planning. I hold no confidence in the wider structures at the club properly supporting a successful commercial organisation.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

With hindsight on 13:45 - Jan 15 with 1707 viewsTVOS1907

With hindsight on 13:33 - Jan 15 by RAFCBLUE

The distinct lack of planning over the four seasons of Hillcroft within the top eschalons of the club has led to where we are now.

We knew Craig Dawson was going in August 2010 and had nearly 9 months to identify and recruit the centre half that would fill the gap. That lack of planning has cost us.

We knew that Hillcroft would one day depart, yet seemingly hadn't as a club highlighted the type of successor we would like, leading to the appointment of a previously unknown part of the Man City back room staff followed by our own Youth Team coach. That lack of planning has cost us.

We have had three of the most successful seasons in the clubs history, including a trip to Wembley and an automatic promotion - yet the commercial opportunities that abounded were not taken nor structures put in place to gain the information of the circa 2,000 floating fans who have now deserted us. That lack of planning has cost us.

We allowed Wiseman and Done to sign for Barnsley with no replacements lined up and when we were in a financially solid position to at least hold out to the end of the relevant transfer window. That conscious decision to divest two of last seasons starting eleven has cost us.

We allowed COG to go before the end of the transfer window with no replacement lined up. By this point we had on paper the money from Dawson, Hill, Flitcroft and the back room team, Wiseman and Done. The cashing in is irrelevant. The lack of planning again has cost us.

We sacked Steve Eyre (rightly or wrongly) for not getting the performance out of a group of players. We did so without a succession plan - another lack of planning.

How many times will we shoot ourselves in the foot? Or hope that we achieve when other clubs are planning?

The planning for next season should start today - we are in a position where we can prepare properly for football in the League below, or hopefully this league if we can get the right man and the right results. 33 points is not insurmountable in 21 games but it will need proper planning and preparation to get it right.

I have ever expectation that at the end of this season we will lose JK, Widdowson and Tutte to clubs further up the food chain due to lack of proper planning. I hold no confidence in the wider structures at the club properly supporting a successful commercial organisation.

Good post, but on the Dawson issue, Hill did have a replacement lined up.

He now plays for him at Barnsley.

With hindsight on 13:56 - Jan 15 with 1678 viewsRAFCBLUE

With hindsight on 13:45 - Jan 15 by TVOS1907

Good post, but on the Dawson issue, Hill did have a replacement lined up.

He now plays for him at Barnsley.

Wasn't a comment on Hill's lack of planning - which is exemplary - but the clubs.

I struggle to believe we did not/could not identify at least five decent football league centre halfs and then recruit one of them.

Nor can I believe the same is true for a permanent goalkeeper, which has been lacking for 3-4 years.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

With hindsight on 14:13 - Jan 15 with 1646 viewssandylaner1

very good post, but a depressing dose of reality.
With hindsight on 14:19 - Jan 15 with 1624 viewsDaleFan7

Unfortunately this is very true and the only people to blame are the board. We need and deserve answers as to where all the money has gone and why everything has gone so wrong at the club.

A Feeling if the prices don't drop next season we will struggle to get 1000 season ticket holders and seeing as though our fan base at the moment is pretty much season ticket holders it doesn't bode well for the future.
With hindsight on 14:28 - Jan 15 with 1604 viewsKenBoon

With hindsight on 10:39 - Jan 15 by ColDale

surely it was in the club's financial interest for O'Grady to go rather than COG's interest. Any wage he may have got off SWFC last Summer would be nothing in comparison to what he could have commanded had he been available on a free transfer. I think we as a club considered ourselves to have been stung when Dagnall and TK left on freebies twelve months earlier, and didn't want a repeat. It's a pointless question I guess, but would Hill have sanctioned the sale of COG this way? Would COG have still wanted to go as much?

I know club whispers like to spread myths that departing players at this club were on the brink of going on strike if not granted their departure. But it's perfectly reasonable to allow players to leave only if stupid offers come in. This happens at other clubs and there's no reasons to suspect it won't be the same at Rochdale. How much of those COG funds have been wasted on substandard replacements?

Sadly, the majority of our professionalism departed from our football club on 1st June.

Sums my feeling up on the O'Grady sale. I'm not sure we got the stupid fee. We got the Rochdale fee. He had 12 months left on that contract, we didn't have to offer him anything. If SWFC really wanted him we'd have got the Rochdale fee in January too. We'd never be able to replace him with the money we got and we didn't have a manager with the experience in the transfer market to find a cheap needle in a haystack.

Selling is always an easy thing for us to do though. I remember a few folk on here saying they'd have sold Dagnall for 50k during the promotion season because you can't let players leave for free, therefore totally missing the point that there's value in winning things, or in this case, staying in League One.

Of course we don't know all the facts. Him staying could have been made impossible. But we almost always seem to sell easily.
With hindsight on 14:53 - Jan 15 with 1568 views442Dale

Great post RAFCBLUE. The whole issue of poor planning has thrown up so many examples over the last few years it becomes depressing to list them all.

A simple, yet perfect example came in the last week with the below par promotion of the fiver off offer.

We rarely get the basics right.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

With hindsight on 15:20 - Jan 15 with 1529 viewsKenBoon

With hindsight on 14:53 - Jan 15 by 442Dale

Great post RAFCBLUE. The whole issue of poor planning has thrown up so many examples over the last few years it becomes depressing to list them all.

A simple, yet perfect example came in the last week with the below par promotion of the fiver off offer.

The over reliance on the hardcore fanbase is a mistake. We shouldn't be doing it when the cheapest seat is £18 and the town is in depression. Loyalty is great, but everyone has priorities, Rochdale AFC don't come before providing for a family.

It runs through the club. The last time I went to use the online club shop they wanted about £7 P&P. £80 on kits and they couldn't even do P&P at cost price, let alone free like many stores do. I emptied my shopping cart, never bought the shirts.
With hindsight on 15:27 - Jan 15 with 1513 viewsD_Alien

With hindsight on 13:56 - Jan 15 by RAFCBLUE

Wasn't a comment on Hill's lack of planning - which is exemplary - but the clubs.

I struggle to believe we did not/could not identify at least five decent football league centre halfs and then recruit one of them.

Nor can I believe the same is true for a permanent goalkeeper, which has been lacking for 3-4 years.

I really don't get what point you're trying to make here?

What exactly do you mean by "we did not/could not identify at least five decent football league centre halfs and then recruit one of them?"

Who is "we" ??

When Hilly moved to Barnsley (and signed his lined-up replacement for Dawson) who exactly, do you think should have been "identifying at least five decent centre halfs?"

Dunphy? Jack the kitman? Ahead of the new manager who would want to sign his own players? (Lets leave aside the actuality of what happened there!!)

Come on, who are you talking about then?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

With hindsight on 15:33 - Jan 15 with 1495 viewsRAFCBLUE

With hindsight on 14:53 - Jan 15 by 442Dale

Bizarrely though, I'm at a loss in an attempt to explain why that is.

The Board are fans first and foremost, but their position is because they are successful businessmen second. So to see them preside over this debacle time after time amazes me. Yes I guess that there is some element of running a football club that is distracting to seeing it as a business but that's ultimately what it is.

Equally, the commercial and office folk aren't bad human beings, some if not all are also Dale fans, so I've no doubts that ultimately their hearts are in the right place even if it's evident that we are not getting the basics right every time.

If you trawl LinkedIn or some other business related forum, you can see and find clear examples of turnaround business people, troubleshooters - and I'd wager that we have fans amongst that group too, but what we need to succeed is to get that individual in and run the club like it is a breakeven business.

They should scrutinise every nook and cranny of the club and pull apart off field performance in the same way we criticise Eyre/Beech/AN Other for the on the field element.

As a really simple comparison, next Saturday we play at Wycombe and if you look at their website ( http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/WhosWho/0,,10430,00.html) they have 34 individuals listed who are responsible for commercial, HR, Recruitment, Administration, Club Shop, Conferences, Community, Media and PR, Finance, Marketing, Promotions, Sales and Sponsorship.

I'd wager - knowing that their owner (Steve Hayes who is behind Dreams beds) - runs them like a business in the terms of how they are set up off the field and if anyone is not delivering then the relevant appraisals/feedback/coaching/action are taken.

So who are our 34 at Rochdale? Are we getting value for money? Do we need to invest to get more out of what we have?

We're a business that is in the game to win and business ultimately is a game. Just like football.

With hindsight on 15:39 - Jan 15 with 1476 viewsSaxonDale

I agree RAFCBLUE but I also agree with the point D_Alien has said. The reign of Eyre was so disastorous that the club has probably regressed more in the last 7 months than at any other time in its history. It wasn't the O'Grady deal that cost us, afterall Bury, Stevenage etc do not have him playing for them this season, but they are managing perfectly. It was the lack of replacing them at all.

O'Grady has still not been replaced with a targetman. Why sign the likes of Ball, Grimes, MBH etc if the defence can't distrobute the ball from the back?

We had a good replacement for Done in Tutte but he was played completely out of position.

Wiseman's replacement was very decent in Darby but he was poorly managed.

Dawson's replacements were laughable. The only two genuine attempts at replacing Dawson with a similar style of player was Trotman and Balkenstein.
With hindsight on 15:40 - Jan 15 with 1468 viewsD_Alien

With hindsight on 15:39 - Jan 15 by SaxonDale

I agree RAFCBLUE but I also agree with the point D_Alien has said. The reign of Eyre was so disastorous that the club has probably regressed more in the last 7 months than at any other time in its history. It wasn't the O'Grady deal that cost us, afterall Bury, Stevenage etc do not have him playing for them this season, but they are managing perfectly. It was the lack of replacing them at all.

O'Grady has still not been replaced with a targetman. Why sign the likes of Ball, Grimes, MBH etc if the defence can't distrobute the ball from the back?

We had a good replacement for Done in Tutte but he was played completely out of position.

Wiseman's replacement was very decent in Darby but he was poorly managed.

Dawson's replacements were laughable. The only two genuine attempts at replacing Dawson with a similar style of player was Trotman and Balkenstein.

And I agree with RAFCBLUE's later post

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024