Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? 17:56 - Jun 21 with 7210 viewsDylanP

So I am reading a book at the moment called "Growing Up With Subbuteo" written by the son of the bloke who invented Subbuteo. Its a pretty crazy story of how subbuteo got off the ground.

Anyhow, the interesting fact is that the bloke who invented Subbuteo (Peter Adolph) was a QPR fan. The book itself shows a couple of Subbuteo men on the front in QPR colours!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 17:58 - Jun 21 with 2085 viewssimmo

I had a QPR colours football team (along with a Liverpool one for some reason). Had a scoreboard, the hoardings to go around the ground etc too.

I was quite handy....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:01 - Jun 21 with 2073 viewsBlackCrowe

I was quite handy too cheated a bit by pushing and not flicking.

Bought a pitch, teams (incl.qpr), balls, nets etc off ebay a couple of years ago, thinking Crowe junior would get really into it. Aged 9 at the time, looked at me in a 'WTF' way.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:06 - Jun 21 with 2061 viewswestolian

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:01 - Jun 21 by BlackCrowe

I was quite handy too cheated a bit by pushing and not flicking.

Bought a pitch, teams (incl.qpr), balls, nets etc off ebay a couple of years ago, thinking Crowe junior would get really into it. Aged 9 at the time, looked at me in a 'WTF' way.

Wanna game ?

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:07 - Jun 21 with 2056 viewsJeff

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that Peter Adolph's son posts on here, and he has a Subbuteo Avatar...
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Can we not knock it?

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:09 - Jun 21 with 2046 viewsrunningman75

I wanted a QPR team, came back from school and my mum had bought me the West Brom subbuteo team as could not find the QPR one in the shop
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:10 - Jun 21 with 2044 viewsDylanP

Unfortunately, once you've played FIFA games on the Wii and XBox, Subbuteo doesn't quite cut it.

Interesting thing from the book was that the bloke who invented it, put an ad in a magazine selling the game for 37.5p on a whim. He hadn't created the game when he put the ad in. He just was curious as to whether there would be interest. He went off on a trip to the US (by ship) and when he got home there was 7,500 pounds worth of orders waiting for him. It then took him 6 months to actually manufacture the first version of the game. He hadn't even built a prototype of the game when he put the ad in the mag. They built the first few rounds of orders in his Mum's spare bedroom!

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:10 - Jun 21 with 2040 viewsHayesender

Weren't we number 666?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:11 - Jun 21 with 2039 viewsDylanP

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:07 - Jun 21 by Jeff

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that Peter Adolph's son posts on here, and he has a Subbuteo Avatar...

No way! That would be cool. It says in the book that he (his name is Mark) is a lifelong QPR fan

Login to get fewer ads

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:17 - Jun 21 with 2024 viewsloftboy

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:11 - Jun 21 by DylanP

No way! That would be cool. It says in the book that he (his name is Mark) is a lifelong QPR fan

Yep definitely did or does post on here, can't remember his username though.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:39 - Jun 21 with 1991 viewsToast_R

Had loads of the Bladdy stuff.

Mexico 86 goals were the bollocks. Went mad on it with my brother and cousin that summer.

Everyone had their own rules.

Arrrgh that was a scoop you cheat!

Kept it going through the latter 80's building my collection of teams and stadia until one afternoon round my mates house with his brand new Atari ST, we found a little unknown game called Kickoff.

Subbuteo would never be the same again.
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:47 - Jun 21 with 1971 viewsstowmarketrange

I had the Subbuteo cricket and rugby games as well.The cricket wasn't too bad,apart from having to iron the pitch flat,and the small ball kept getting lost.
The rugby was crap.
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:29 - Jun 21 with 1929 viewsHayesender

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:47 - Jun 21 by stowmarketrange

I had the Subbuteo cricket and rugby games as well.The cricket wasn't too bad,apart from having to iron the pitch flat,and the small ball kept getting lost.
The rugby was crap.

Absolutley loved the cricket game.

Me and my brother had the full Monty of grandstands, floodlights and everything else you could buy.

Then one day back in about 1982 my dad came home with the holy grail, something that went by the name of nintendo and that was the end

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:43 - Jun 21 with 1909 viewsMr_Foxy

If it cheers you chaps up I'm pleased to say Subbuteo has made a comeback!

I was in a toyshop in Leicester a few weeks ago and stumbled across them selling boxes of new Subbuteo along with custom teams (only the big clubs/nations of course...) there wasn't any extra accessories on sale though... It was also £40 for the box which put me off buying it just to satisfy a childhood memory. I used to have a scoreboard, 2 floodlights, the hoardings and 2 stands (always wanted to build a stadium but never got enough )
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:58 - Jun 21 with 1888 viewsessextaxiboy

It all got a bit more serious when your dad stuck the pitch on a bit of chipboard with polycell. it lived behind the settee for years !
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:59 - Jun 21 with 1886 viewsrongould

When I was about 12 or 13, I was in a convalescent home over Christmas.
I had a little pocket money and sent away for the most basic set.
When it arrived I had been sent the ultra deluxe edition.
For years I thought that I had been taken pity on because I was in hospital, and this might have been the case. But later in life I realised that being in hospital over Christmas and insisting that QPR were one of my teams, may have helped.
Subbuteo couldn't have been out very long then. I heard that the dad would never let his son be "the hoops"
Yes we were 666
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:04 - Jun 21 with 1879 viewseghamranger

I thought 666 were Morton!
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:07 - Jun 21 with 1872 viewsHayesender

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:04 - Jun 21 by eghamranger

I thought 666 were Morton!

Us and Morton were one and the same if memory serves me right?

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:17 - Jun 21 with 1861 viewseghamranger

You got me looking on ebay. Morton,Qpr or reading. £5.99 & postage.
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:23 - Jun 21 with 1848 viewsloftboy

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:58 - Jun 21 by essextaxiboy

It all got a bit more serious when your dad stuck the pitch on a bit of chipboard with polycell. it lived behind the settee for years !

Had mine on mdf with the green fencing a grandstand which I filled with spectators the brown scoreboard and the goals with the u shaped stantion at the top. Had the players that could take corners, similar to a super striker player and the springy men for throwins, had the referre and linesman and the ballboys, tv gantry and replicas of all the trophies.

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:30 - Jun 21 with 1838 viewsflynnbo

Got the Club edition one year and never stopped playing. Bought the QPR team again two years ago and still cannot resist buying the odd set at car boot sales. There is a company -Spanish, I think- which now makes them but some players have cardboard bases. When I got Club edition, I was really thrilled then pissed off to find my mate had the International edition only to find another mate had World Cup! Spent many a happy day playing it as well as the Wembley FA Cup board game.
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:39 - Jun 21 with 1823 viewsthame_hoops

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:07 - Jun 21 by Jeff

rangers are back
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:39 - Jun 21 with 1824 viewsessextaxiboy

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:23 - Jun 21 by loftboy

Had mine on mdf with the green fencing a grandstand which I filled with spectators the brown scoreboard and the goals with the u shaped stantion at the top. Had the players that could take corners, similar to a super striker player and the springy men for throwins, had the referre and linesman and the ballboys, tv gantry and replicas of all the trophies.

The green fencing meant that your mum didnt step on the ball as it went for a corner when she walked past to serve up the vesta curry
Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:42 - Jun 21 with 1822 views18StoneOfHoop

TBH 'All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit' is a much better title than tune..the subbuteo bit starts around 1:33:

and any old excuse to show & hear this classic cracker:

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:43 - Jun 21 with 1820 viewsloftboy

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:39 - Jun 21 by essextaxiboy

The green fencing meant that your mum didnt step on the ball as it went for a corner when she walked past to serve up the vesta curry

I used to lay mine on the dining room table, provided I put a protective cloth underneath that wasn't one of my mums " best " table cloths.

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:45 - Jun 21 with 1810 viewsDylanP

Subbuteo and QPR -- who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:59 - Jun 21 by rongould

When I was about 12 or 13, I was in a convalescent home over Christmas.
I had a little pocket money and sent away for the most basic set.
When it arrived I had been sent the ultra deluxe edition.
For years I thought that I had been taken pity on because I was in hospital, and this might have been the case. But later in life I realised that being in hospital over Christmas and insisting that QPR were one of my teams, may have helped.
Subbuteo couldn't have been out very long then. I heard that the dad would never let his son be "the hoops"
Yes we were 666

The very first games were sent out in 1946.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024