Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? 14:44 - Nov 19 with 4019 viewsWestbourneR

Does anyone on here thing MH could still get us playing and out of trouble?

I would bet everything have on this earth that we will go down with max 10 points if Hughes stays for the season.

It is clear that he has no chance of reconnecting with these players.

If TF doesn't do the right thing and fire Hughes this week than he is in a dangerous dowward spiral of denial. Whatever the cost he HAS to go.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 14:47 - Nov 19 with 2605 viewskingsburyR

After Saturday: NO!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 14:49 - Nov 19 with 2590 viewsPinnerPaul

You can bet "everything you have" at 11/4 on finishing bottom.

8/11 for relegation.

Get on - I have.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 14:50 - Nov 19 with 2587 viewssimmo

David Moyes

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:02 - Nov 19 with 2544 viewsNeil_SI

I actually think he would keep us up, but only just, and probably in similar circumstances to last season.

The key question for me is whether one believes he can actually progress QPR further in terms of the football we want to see on the pitch, and my answer to that is no, I don't, not unless he makes a radical change in his philosophy and approach. I can't see that happening any time soon and if anything I suspect he has become a little bit stale as the game changes and modernises over time.

Whether that would be enough to satisfy the masses is open for debate.

I look at his time at his previous clubs and while I don't enjoy his style and approach, that's not to say it can't work or isn't a viable alternative, but I never liked the football his teams played, including when he was at Blackburn Rovers.

I keep asking myself why his experiences have become gradually worse since those days and have a theory it might be related to how the game has changed. In his Blackburn days his team had the worst disciplinary record in all his four seasons in charge, yet they still finished highly up the table.

It may be that they also got away with a lot more, and it was at a time and period where physical athletes could overpower technical teams. That's not the case any more, the aggression in the game is penalised more than ever, so that style is picked up upon more by referees (by way of cautions and more free kicks) and the technical teams are even better and sports science side has meant those technical players are also much stronger athletes now too.

So therefore his style doesn't work as well now and that's partly why I wonder if he and his team haven't modernised or adapted as the game around him has.

It's just a theory though.

When I look at someone like Ian Holloway I can't help but be impressed by the progress he's made. I never thought he would improve in the way he has since he left us, and that's not to say he's brilliant tactically or as a coach, but you can see he's identified weaknesses in his approach and decided to try and do something about it.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:03 - Nov 19 with 2536 viewsWestbourneR

Paul I can't bring myself to bet on my own misery. I'd rather have abject misery than renumerated misery, it's the purer form.

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:05 - Nov 19 with 2524 viewsWestbourneR

Neil I 100% respect your knowledge but how can you possibly think MH has it in him to turn this around a keep us up???

The team gave up weeks ago.

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:05 - Nov 19 with 2520 viewsMytch_QPR

I keep looking at the fixture list and thinking 'what if???'

Assuming we all smoked a huge spliff and said, without a trace of irony, that we could get a point away at Man Utd (tee hee) then back to back wins against Sunderland, Villa and Wigan...

As I'm typing this I've just answered your question - that is probably not a likely scenario under Hughes (understatement) - I'm just clutching at straws (or spliffs)...

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:07 - Nov 19 with 2517 viewskropotkin41

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:02 - Nov 19 by Neil_SI

I actually think he would keep us up, but only just, and probably in similar circumstances to last season.

The key question for me is whether one believes he can actually progress QPR further in terms of the football we want to see on the pitch, and my answer to that is no, I don't, not unless he makes a radical change in his philosophy and approach. I can't see that happening any time soon and if anything I suspect he has become a little bit stale as the game changes and modernises over time.

I look at his time at his previous clubs and while I don't enjoy his style and approach, that's not to say it can't work or isn't a viable alternative, but I never liked the football his teams played, including when he was at Blackburn Rovers.

I keep asking myself why his experiences have become gradually worse since those days and have a theory it might be related to how the game has changed. In his Blackburn days his team had the worst disciplinary record in all his four seasons in charge, yet they still finished highly up the table.

It may be that they also got away with a lot more, and it was at a time and period where physical athletes could overpower technical teams. That's not the case any more, the aggression in the game is penalised more than ever, so that style is picked up upon more by referees (by way of cautions and more free kicks) and the technical teams are even better and sports science side has meant those technical players are also much stronger athletes now too.

So therefore his style doesn't work as well now and that's partly why I wonder if he and his team haven't modernised or adapted as the game around him has.

When I look at someone like Ian Holloway I can't help but be impressed by the progress he's made. I never thought he would improve in the way he has since he left us, and that's not to say he's brilliant tactically or as a coach, but you can see he's identified weaknesses in his approach and decided to try and do something about it.

Neil, you really believe that if Hughes stayed then we'd stay up? I am astonished. I am not a betting man, but I see no grounds for believing that he might turn around the meltdown.

I accept that even talented people can have bad times, Hughes might well one day demonstrate real genius somewhere, but I just don't see it happening at LR this season...

In fact I was thinking that Westbourne was being a bit optimistic saying 10 points........ don't know where they're coming from.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Login to get fewer ads

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:24 - Nov 19 with 2469 viewsTW_R

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:02 - Nov 19 by Neil_SI

"I look at his time at his previous clubs and while I don't enjoy his style and approach, that's not to say it can't work or isn't a viable alternative, but I never liked the football his teams played, including when he was at Blackburn Rovers.

So therefore his style doesn't work as well now and that's partly why I wonder if he and his team haven't modernised or adapted as the game around him has."

Basically Neil, that's exactly how I saw it back in January when his name was orignally mentioned for the job. I think the game has changed a lot in the PL since his Blackburn days, but he hasn't. I didn't really see any progression through his Man City and Fulham days.

He basically went from mild success at Blackburn, to average success at Man City. I measure his time at City on the fact that although he had a reasonable win rate, he spent a ridiculous amount of money and really didn't get that team perfoming as it should (Deja Vu!!?) And then less than average success at Fulham. He was known to chop and change the team frequently and play people out of position (Deja Vu again!!?)

The thing that has really suprised me is that I thought we would be awful to watch, but very hard to beat. But, instead, we are just awful to watch. I think his major mistake has been to try and change the team too quicky over the summer. We won 5 home games in a row at the end of last season, but I think, of the players who started the Stoke game, only 2 started against Southampton. We had a nucleus of a team there that he basically threw away.

He also has a very bad habit of singling out individual players after a bad team performance and using them as a scapegoat, until it it someone elses turn.

Whether it is too late for him or not, only TF and the board can tell us. A win on Saturday could change all that!
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:24 - Nov 19 with 2468 viewsNeil_SI

I'm just not as bothered about relegation as some people are. I can really take that and accept it happening. It's the football on the pitch that bothers me, and I would take the same view even if we were half way up the league.

It's about the lack of progress on the pitch. I've not seen anything in the ten months that's made me say "wow" or made me excited about the direction the team were heading in.

There's a certain level of playing style that we want and expect to see at the club, and even if we were relatively successful, my feeling is that I'd be bored and uninspired by the football we play. It's just been so dull, irrespective of performances and the current situation. We didn't play at all well last season either.

But, we are still only five points adrift, rather amazingly. And there's a lot of poor teams in and around us, so yes, it's possible for him or anybody out there to scrap their way out of this mess. That's not to say it will be easy and last season, although I was frankly never *really* sure whether we'd survive or not, my gut instinct was that we'd go down for many of the same problems we've encountered now, and to my amazement we didn't. I think we were very, very lucky indeed, but showed it's still somehow possible to get some random results or stumble across a formula that does just about enough.

You have to remember, there are still some players there fighting for their careers, some who may never get an opportunity to play at this level again. Some that it's the last chance for them to earn well and secure their future. That alone will make some of them suddenly fight harder for their own cause and destiny.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:27 - Nov 19 with 2452 viewsPinnerPaul

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:03 - Nov 19 by WestbourneR

Paul I can't bring myself to bet on my own misery. I'd rather have abject misery than renumerated misery, it's the purer form.

I don't feel at all guilty given the "return" v investment I've had on my season ticket!

I'm a modest gambler but 8/11 - surely that IS like finding money in the street!
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:28 - Nov 19 with 2444 viewswood_hoop

Neil, are you Ingham in disguise

You may well of hit the nail on the head in regard MH, has he become one of the dinosaurs of the management circus already.

Management tecniques have changed over the years in all walks of life and football has now become more more scientific based in adapting to players fitness and abilities.

I come from an age when a mobile phone was the size of a suitcase and man management was being able to chin an errant worker before giving him his P45.

I have had to adapt in my work to keep pace with the ever advancing world, much of it has made my life so much easier and I would like to think my management skills have improved over the years alongside.

Things move on at an incredible pace and I too am impressed with IH and his new found management skills from when he was with us, but then he never showed the arrogance that he could not be any better, MH has not shown that humility with us and that may well be a cross he has carried throughout his management career.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:29 - Nov 19 with 2425 viewsNeil_SI

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:28 - Nov 19 by wood_hoop

Neil, are you Ingham in disguise

You may well of hit the nail on the head in regard MH, has he become one of the dinosaurs of the management circus already.

Management tecniques have changed over the years in all walks of life and football has now become more more scientific based in adapting to players fitness and abilities.

I come from an age when a mobile phone was the size of a suitcase and man management was being able to chin an errant worker before giving him his P45.

I have had to adapt in my work to keep pace with the ever advancing world, much of it has made my life so much easier and I would like to think my management skills have improved over the years alongside.

Things move on at an incredible pace and I too am impressed with IH and his new found management skills from when he was with us, but then he never showed the arrogance that he could not be any better, MH has not shown that humility with us and that may well be a cross he has carried throughout his management career.

Haha, I miss Ingham posting around here, he's certainly a much smarter and thoughtful man than I am.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:38 - Nov 19 with 2394 viewsessextaxiboy

I dont think it has anything to do with his style of play or tactics.

The team are not playing for him , they are demotivated and split. A new manager could come in and select the same team and play the same way and may get some results.

Ollie and Warnock get the best out of ordinary players because the players want to play for them. Hughes cant do that .

We kept them up last year with the support at LR ,they did nothing away.

I an amazed that you think he would keep us up .
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:05 - Nov 19 with 2345 viewsClive_Anderson

I honestly don't think Hughes himself thinks he can turn it around. He doesn't even know why it isn't working in the first place.

I think he sees players as a series of stats like in Championship Manager rather than actual people who need to be motivated and managed to get the best out of them. He's spending the whole time looking at Prozone rather than getting stuck into the players.

Looking back at the Liverpool game last year he looked completely lost when we were 2-0 down and was as surprised as anyone when we came back to win.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:22 - Nov 19 with 2299 viewshoopstilidie

And he came so highly rated by some on this very board.

Don't want to say I told you so but.....

....well you get the picture.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:47 - Nov 19 with 2264 viewsWestbourneR

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 15:38 - Nov 19 by essextaxiboy

I dont think it has anything to do with his style of play or tactics.

The team are not playing for him , they are demotivated and split. A new manager could come in and select the same team and play the same way and may get some results.

Ollie and Warnock get the best out of ordinary players because the players want to play for them. Hughes cant do that .

We kept them up last year with the support at LR ,they did nothing away.

I an amazed that you think he would keep us up .

I'm with essextaxiboy - the players don't believe in it any more.

The thing is Hughes' awful game plan (no plan to to score, no plan to defend) has drained the life out of them and now they are unhappy and demoralised.

He simply must be fired.

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:50 - Nov 19 with 2256 viewscoolranger

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:05 - Nov 19 by Clive_Anderson

I honestly don't think Hughes himself thinks he can turn it around. He doesn't even know why it isn't working in the first place.

I think he sees players as a series of stats like in Championship Manager rather than actual people who need to be motivated and managed to get the best out of them. He's spending the whole time looking at Prozone rather than getting stuck into the players.

Looking back at the Liverpool game last year he looked completely lost when we were 2-0 down and was as surprised as anyone when we came back to win.

I look around at the the very best and the better football managers in the game and the consistent threads are that they have either "a certain positive charisma" and / or they are "tactically smart", both in how they assemble squads and the systems they use to fit their needs given their playing resources.

First up Hughes seems to lack the charisma. He's a cool, rather clinical character, somewhat aloof it would seem. Difficult to "like", mainly because he gives so little of himself - there is no warmth at all. Then I look at the players brought in, and I think we have perhaps too many with the wrong motivations and character for a side which was always going to have to scrap a bit to survive in a very tough league.

Many of our players have limited or no Premier experience, some have not lived in the UK before - I look at the togetherness and spirit of Swansea, Norwich, Southampton, West Ham and I think much of it is down to good management and a hungry group of players with a fairly strong "British element" to their squads.

We seem to have "too many piano players" and too few prepared to carry the thing on stage - ie: we lack grafters, especially when we do not have the ball. We could do with a defensive ball winning midfielder, and of course another centre half to work with Nelsen.

The squad we have assembled, while it has a number of talented players, lacks application and a real spirit to fight for the club. More thought should have gone into getting the right mix of characters when assembling our squad for this season, IMHO.

Can Hughes turn it around? I fear not with what he has because it looks like he's "lost" many of these players. But I also think whoever was to replace him faces a huge task, with limited time to trade their way towards a better blend within the squad.

Very tough on Fernandes, who must feel terribly let down by many people. If I were him I think I'd give the current set up until the end of the year to breathe life back into our season. If they can, fine, perhaps we'll somehow stagger out of the hole we are in, but as with last season a recovery will be down to the failings of others as much as anything else.

If not, we'll probably be virtually gone by January, in which case we'll have the rest of the season to start planning for the Championship under a new set up, and at least we'll have the January window to start that process.

Make any sense? That's how I see it.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:52 - Nov 19 with 2248 viewsWestbourneR

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:22 - Nov 19 by hoopstilidie

And he came so highly rated by some on this very board.

Don't want to say I told you so but.....

....well you get the picture.

That'd be me hoopstillidie. I felt he had a great track record before he came and I'd happily have taken the job he did at Blackburn here.

Sadly he has been abysmal and I've held my hands up to the fact I was wrong.

I regret the day he joined us.

Doesn't mean I'd want Warnock back mind...

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 17:02 - Nov 19 with 2218 viewsrobith

I desperately don't want him sacked, mostly out of the concept of Mark Hughes and our board's ideas for the club rather than the on the ground reality and also our past recent history of binning managers.

And I supported that idea up until about 3:15 on Saturday afternoon. It became clear to me that this wasn't just problems with the team; it's problems with a team that Hughes has created, endowed no philosophy to, but most damagingly, he clearly has no idea how to solve.

I don't see a lot of great value alternatives (the thought of Redknapp makes me want to develop a cyanide habit) but Hughes' position is completely untenable
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 17:13 - Nov 19 with 2195 viewsjeffro

Like reading your indepth analysis Neil, dont always agree with it but still its well written.
You're clearly an intelligent guy but I simply cannot, no matter how many equations or formula's you want to use in any way shape or form come up with an answer that Mark Hughes will keep us up.

The player's are not playing for him, The dressing room has been lost as many reports claim today it seems the case, and he is tactically found wanting.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 17:30 - Nov 19 with 2167 viewswood_hoop

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 16:52 - Nov 19 by WestbourneR

That'd be me hoopstillidie. I felt he had a great track record before he came and I'd happily have taken the job he did at Blackburn here.

Sadly he has been abysmal and I've held my hands up to the fact I was wrong.

I regret the day he joined us.

Doesn't mean I'd want Warnock back mind...

Who knows what type of manager fits what TF is aiming for, as supporters we look to him to be our judge, Hughes must have impressed TF when he interviewed him, but as we were not party to that conversation its all guess work.

Managers will be loved or loathed for reasons outside of their actual talents, or even the previous clubs they have managed, wouldn't say Warnock was the most popular of choices when he got the job but ended up as part of our folklore, as usual fell out of favour as most do.

Therein lies one of the biggest problems in football management, keeping a manager for longer than five minutes especially when entering the Prem League after a long absence and hopes being raised that we are back where 'we belong'.

Hughes track record could be viewed as seemingly good enough to at least make a fist of the club not being relegation fodder, TF it seems has picked the wrong man, foresight is a wonderful thing and when MH put pen to paper I would imagine TF could only see glory days ahead.

We will all have our own opinions on who would make a good manager, and what direction the club should be heading, problem is we have no say whatsoever in just who that will be, so we can pontificate for hours on the subject and our 'vision' for the club will still not be met, TF has no easy task in picking the right man but it will be his vision that he hopes the manager can follow, and that may be nothing like what I want.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 17:41 - Nov 19 with 2143 viewsJuzzie

Hughes has said we've gone on a bad run and other teams will do the same. Will they? you know that for sure? There seems to be too much reliance on "things will come good", "other teams will go on a bad run" etc.

Fulham were in the relegation zone at Xmas under Hughes and they finished 9th. Seems to me he merely 'thinks' it will happen again. Just like that. Easy really.

In Bowen's podcast he alluded to something like "look at our CV" when it came to previous teams defensive records. I don't give a $hit about previous teams defensive records, I do about ours.

Again, DWELLING ON THE PAST.

I tell you what, rather than waiting for things to happen, fkin MAKE things happen.

I'm not sure anyone can turn it around. We'd have got 26 games to get something like 38 points. We need to go on a Europa League qualification run just to get in the lower regions of the table.

Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 20:53 - Nov 19 with 2086 viewsTGRRRSSS

I agree with a lot of your posting Neil and think the point about Hughes struggling as games adapted to stop the more physical elements (wasn't Hughes a dirty cnt of a player?)
However I can't agree with you that Hughes will keep us up, we already have far more to do than we did even this time last year, when we'd won home and away at this time (only one each perhaps but 6 pts nonetheless)
You say your more concerned with lack of progress than actual relegation, but one thing begots the other really, if there was progress beyond last season then we'd be much higher up the table in about 14th or so.
Otherwise I think your spot on.
Is there anyone left who believes Hughes can turn it around? on 23:08 - Nov 19 with 2044 viewsTacticalR

That's a very interesting question Neil raised, namely why has Hughes stagnated?

One possible explanation for his stagnation is that he picked up a number of ideas about the game as a player, but the longer time has gone on, and the further away he has got from his playing experience, the more empty his stock of ideas has become.

Or perhaps he was always like this. He always seems calm, but a while ago I began to wonder if he is simply vacant, and after Saturday I came to the conclusion Hughes really is the grey nonentity that he has always appeared to be.

Perhaps it's the very inflexibility that made him a great player that makes him a poor manager. A manager like Paul Lambert will always make mincemeat of a manager like Hughes. You can't really compare Hughes with Holloway, because Holloway worked his way up, and as you pointed out has shown considerable flexibility in his time in management.

Another strange thing is that it's not simply his management style that seems frozen, but also his assessment of players. How many have we picked up that were good three, four, five, or six years ago?

Perhaps the strangest thing of all, is that none of those who defend him actually seem to like him any more than those who attack him.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024