Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play off final - who are people supporting? 12:44 - May 18 with 8759 viewsStudiousDale

For me I suppose Bradford, for Jonah and feel they'll pose a bigger threat next season than Northampton. Also don't like hoofroyd.
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 00:17 - May 19 with 1630 viewsdancdale

Gary Jones- An average to good, league two standard, player

Captain/leader- always put in effort and led by example- but in some aspects (game/player management, positive encouragement when things were going wrong etc.) — not so great.

Member of team- Usually a beneficial player to have on pitch, but sometimes there for effort levels, captaincy and status when performance/ benefit to team didn’t justify it.

Best player?- wouldn’t make it into a matchday squad of the best players that have been here over his time.

Leaving of club- Hills decision originally, he wanted to again move up a level and properly challenge at lg 1 level, recognised needed to improve on Jones — and I think similar to Stanton he offered a contract knowing it was likely to be rejected- if Hill had felt Jones would have been beneficial even for a year, he would have made sure he kept him. When he actually left- like it or not, with the situation in place it had to happen and was best thing for club and player.
Should still be at club- No, shouldn't have been here beyond Hills decision and its rejection- for Dunphy to make decision to offer a contract Hill didn't think justified was just one of the mistakes over the disaster season. Although not capable anyway, Jones being here hampered Eyre in the systems required and players that needed to play and his performance over the season was not good enough.

Achievements since leaving- Back in Lg 2, and re-motivated at a new club he has done well- but was freakish cup run and scraped into play-offs. Out-classed and over run against us.

Legend- only in that he was here a long time, was the effort giver that fans tend to love and, although we weren’t overly successful over his full time, we got the promotion everyone craved with him as club captain. If you take away the time element, then theres other players that would rate higher in legendary status in my opinion. Theres also incidents in his behaviour towards the club that are anything but legendary.

Manager/Assistant- other than the effort levels/passion, the fact he was here a long time, and the ‘legend’status- not sure on what basis anyone thinks Jones should be considered for Rochdale managerial posts. I've never seen anything that would suggest particularly noticeable managerial strengths, has he even followed the coaching route players who have managerial abilities and ambition do?

Of course a lot of how he is seen is just personal opinion, but looking at facts:

Since returning to club in 2003 Jones played in 364 games, where we gained equivalent of 1.32 points per game- across season= 60.8 points- midtable standard.

During this same period there were 78 games where he didn’t play - we averaged an improved 1.42 points per game/ 65.5 for the season equivalents.

Crucially, when the team rose above this standard to gain promotion, the 1.52 average per game average in the 35 Jones played would have got 70 points, not even making the playoffs, the 15 games without him averaged 2points per game and was what got us promoted.

(figures include cup games)

Jones was a a decent man, professional and player who served us well over a long time, but lets not make him into something he wasn’t.

Im pleased hes had the season he has, he wouldn’t have had if he’d stayed here, and I don’t think we would be any better off if he’d stayed here. Theres no point or justification to moaning that he’s not.
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 00:20 - May 19 with 1622 viewsjudd

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 00:17 - May 19 by dancdale

Captain/leader- always put in effort and led by example- but in some aspects (game/player management, positive encouragement when things were going wrong etc.) — not so great.

Member of team- Usually a beneficial player to have on pitch, but sometimes there for effort levels, captaincy and status when performance/ benefit to team didn’t justify it.

Best player?- wouldn’t make it into a matchday squad of the best players that have been here over his time.

Leaving of club- Hills decision originally, he wanted to again move up a level and properly challenge at lg 1 level, recognised needed to improve on Jones — and I think similar to Stanton he offered a contract knowing it was likely to be rejected- if Hill had felt Jones would have been beneficial even for a year, he would have made sure he kept him. When he actually left- like it or not, with the situation in place it had to happen and was best thing for club and player.
Should still be at club- No, shouldn't have been here beyond Hills decision and its rejection- for Dunphy to make decision to offer a contract Hill didn't think justified was just one of the mistakes over the disaster season. Although not capable anyway, Jones being here hampered Eyre in the systems required and players that needed to play and his performance over the season was not good enough.

Achievements since leaving- Back in Lg 2, and re-motivated at a new club he has done well- but was freakish cup run and scraped into play-offs. Out-classed and over run against us.

Legend- only in that he was here a long time, was the effort giver that fans tend to love and, although we weren’t overly successful over his full time, we got the promotion everyone craved with him as club captain. If you take away the time element, then theres other players that would rate higher in legendary status in my opinion. Theres also incidents in his behaviour towards the club that are anything but legendary.

Manager/Assistant- other than the effort levels/passion, the fact he was here a long time, and the ‘legend’status- not sure on what basis anyone thinks Jones should be considered for Rochdale managerial posts. I've never seen anything that would suggest particularly noticeable managerial strengths, has he even followed the coaching route players who have managerial abilities and ambition do?

Of course a lot of how he is seen is just personal opinion, but looking at facts:

Since returning to club in 2003 Jones played in 364 games, where we gained equivalent of 1.32 points per game- across season= 60.8 points- midtable standard.

During this same period there were 78 games where he didn’t play - we averaged an improved 1.42 points per game/ 65.5 for the season equivalents.

Crucially, when the team rose above this standard to gain promotion, the 1.52 average per game average in the 35 Jones played would have got 70 points, not even making the playoffs, the 15 games without him averaged 2points per game and was what got us promoted.

Jones was a a decent man, professional and player who served us well over a long time, but lets not make him into something he wasn’t.

Im pleased hes had the season he has, he wouldn’t have had if he’d stayed here, and I don’t think we would be any better off if he’d stayed here. Theres no point or justification to moaning that he’s not.

Look at him now.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 05:18 - May 19 with 1588 viewsPDIDDY

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 17:06 - May 18 by TVOS1907

Like Anton Otulakowski?

Or Peter Rhoades-Brown?

Nico papavasalu

Gissa job

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 06:53 - May 19 with 1578 viewsTalkingSutty

"Wouldnt make it into a matchday SQUAD of the best players that have been here over his time".

Thats when i stopped reading
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 10:41 - May 19 with 1515 viewsTVOS1907

Steve Taylor had one of the best goals per game ratio of any Dale striker, but the teams he played in were generally rubbish.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 17:09 - May 19 with 1454 viewsdancdale

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 06:53 - May 19 by TalkingSutty

"Wouldnt make it into a matchday SQUAD of the best players that have been here over his time".

Thats when i stopped reading

A squad made up of the best 18 individual players we've had since he joined- no.

Holt, Lambert, Le fondre, Dagnall, O'Grady, Murray, Platt, Ellis, Townson, McCourt, Buckley, Adams, Jason Kennedy, Perkins, Alex Russell, Peake, Simpson, Jobson, Dawson, Wiseman, Tom Kennedy, Gilks, Bywater. All were a higher quality of player weve had in that time.

The fact you stop reading is my whole point- 'Gary Jones = Rochdale Legend' blinkers people to not even considering other opinions and the facts.

Im not criticising Jones- he was a good player who served us well over a long time- he just wasnt a great player.

If rather than returning for his second long period, he had gone and had the same level of career at two or three other clubs in the way most careers go, he'd be remembered fondly from his time with us, but not as a all-time great- the same as the the other clubs would view him. Its only because he was with us for such a long time, was consistent and had an attitude fans like, that he is regarded so highly- not his quality.
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 17:29 - May 19 with 1439 viewsdancdale

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 10:41 - May 19 by TVOS1907

Steve Taylor had one of the best goals per game ratio of any Dale striker, but the teams he played in were generally rubbish.

Not sure of your point.

I suggest if you took Steve Taylor out of that team, results would have plummeted and we would have been relegated, indicating he was far higher standard of player.

As shown in the stats- taking Gary Jones out of the team didnt usually harm us- and indicates we actually slightly improved- despite on average us being a pretty mediocre side.

In the season we did become successful and had a good quality side, the stats show it appears weakened when Jones played, to a level that probably wouldnt have got promotion.
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 18:14 - May 19 with 1415 viewsnordenblue

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 17:09 - May 19 by dancdale

A squad made up of the best 18 individual players we've had since he joined- no.

Holt, Lambert, Le fondre, Dagnall, O'Grady, Murray, Platt, Ellis, Townson, McCourt, Buckley, Adams, Jason Kennedy, Perkins, Alex Russell, Peake, Simpson, Jobson, Dawson, Wiseman, Tom Kennedy, Gilks, Bywater. All were a higher quality of player weve had in that time.

The fact you stop reading is my whole point- 'Gary Jones = Rochdale Legend' blinkers people to not even considering other opinions and the facts.

Im not criticising Jones- he was a good player who served us well over a long time- he just wasnt a great player.

If rather than returning for his second long period, he had gone and had the same level of career at two or three other clubs in the way most careers go, he'd be remembered fondly from his time with us, but not as a all-time great- the same as the the other clubs would view him. Its only because he was with us for such a long time, was consistent and had an attitude fans like, that he is regarded so highly- not his quality.

Some quality points but your wasting your time to the blinkered bunch on here,they still think of Jones from ten years ago not the one that was for most of his last season terrible on the pitch and rightly at that time deemed surplus to requirement for all intents.Jones was and is still a decent league 2 player at best as his career has proven but he wouldn't be in my starting 11 over the past 25 years either,we've had plenty technically better players all over the pitch.
A good servant to the club and 100 percent effort ill agree but lets not get carried away now he's left he's suddenly credited with a god like status.
Login to get fewer ads

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 18:24 - May 19 with 1399 viewsTVOS1907

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 17:29 - May 19 by dancdale

Not sure of your point.

I suggest if you took Steve Taylor out of that team, results would have plummeted and we would have been relegated, indicating he was far higher standard of player.

As shown in the stats- taking Gary Jones out of the team didnt usually harm us- and indicates we actually slightly improved- despite on average us being a pretty mediocre side.

In the season we did become successful and had a good quality side, the stats show it appears weakened when Jones played, to a level that probably wouldnt have got promotion.

My point is that statistics don't tell the full story.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 20:35 - May 19 with 1333 viewsfunkkk

He's only a legend in the way that Carragher is at Liverpool! He's been getting lauded as an all time Liverpool great this week which I find laughable.
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 22:05 - May 19 with 1303 viewsTalkingSutty

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 20:35 - May 19 by funkkk

He's only a legend in the way that Carragher is at Liverpool! He's been getting lauded as an all time Liverpool great this week which I find laughable.

Its probably my fuzzy mind but wasnt there a time when if Jonah wasnt in the the team there was no way we could have avoided defeat? Maybe some of the older fans can remember that period.

I dont think its being over dramatic to say that there was a time when Jonah carried the team on his back, i dont remember many other players who i can say that about.

Very recently we played in league one and he was the stand out performer in the team and also leading goalscorer playing from midfield. I just say it as i see it and if thats not worthy enough for some of you then tough.

Jonah was class and if my opinions differ from yours then so what, plenty in West Yorkshire agree with me
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 22:24 - May 19 with 1283 viewsTalkingSutty

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 18:14 - May 19 by nordenblue

Some quality points but your wasting your time to the blinkered bunch on here,they still think of Jones from ten years ago not the one that was for most of his last season terrible on the pitch and rightly at that time deemed surplus to requirement for all intents.Jones was and is still a decent league 2 player at best as his career has proven but he wouldn't be in my starting 11 over the past 25 years either,we've had plenty technically better players all over the pitch.
A good servant to the club and 100 percent effort ill agree but lets not get carried away now he's left he's suddenly credited with a god like status.

I must have been blinkered when we got promoted to league one and he scored 19 goals from midfield and won player off the year. Remember that goal at Southampton what a belter !! Was that 10 years ago ??

You obviously have very little time for the man or else you would try to put up a more constructive defence. Some Dale fans travel the length and the breadth of the country and the amount of times Jonah popped up with a goal to make the trip worthwhile was amazing. Brighton, QPR, Saints and many others.
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 23:04 - May 19 with 1274 views442Dale

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 22:05 - May 19 by TalkingSutty

Its probably my fuzzy mind but wasnt there a time when if Jonah wasnt in the the team there was no way we could have avoided defeat? Maybe some of the older fans can remember that period.

I dont think its being over dramatic to say that there was a time when Jonah carried the team on his back, i dont remember many other players who i can say that about.

Very recently we played in league one and he was the stand out performer in the team and also leading goalscorer playing from midfield. I just say it as i see it and if thats not worthy enough for some of you then tough.

Jonah was class and if my opinions differ from yours then so what, plenty in West Yorkshire agree with me

But he wasn't the stand out performer, numerous players had very good seasons in League 1: COG, Wiseman, the much maligned Holness, Dawson.

There were times when Jones was far and away our most reliable player, but at no time can I remember a sustained period where he carried the team on his back without others making significant contributions. In fact, reviewing the seasons....

97-98: good start, looked promising but often played out of position by Barrow - right midfield, even right back on occasion.
98-99 in and out of the side as Barrow preferred idiots like Farrell, Stoker, Lydiate ahead of him. Many fans used Jones as a stick to beat Barrow with as he was obviously far better than those jokers.
99-00 Quickly changed Parkin's mind after not being in the side for the first game, became more influential as the season wore on. A game at Hull where he scored twice as we got a 2-2 was an indication of his never say die attitude and ability to get a crucial goal.
00-01 the year we just missed out on the playoffs. Jones was magnificent around Christmas and New Year, scoring plenty too (Blackpool and Orient on tv come to mind)
01-02 started the season very well before joining Parkin at Barnsley; again he was scoring quite prolifically too. Big loss in midfield when he left initially, but Hollins did eventually sort that out.

Second spell
03-04 wasn't fit when he returned, but found some form later on in the season and scored in the game which ensured we wouldn't go down.
04-05 Good season in a side that was almost quite decent. Obviously enjoyed playing with Holt ahead of him, then Lambert later on in the campaign.
05-06 Jones was part of a 4-3-3 that was working quite well until Jamie Clarke was ignored all of a sudden. Again, with Holt and Lambert up top, a box to box player like Jones benefitted from them to play off.
06-07 Pretty poor at the start like everyone else, then prospered when Hill took over with the 'no fear ' mentality. Didn't feature after February due to injury and Perkins came into his own.
07-08 form was inconsistent like the team initially, but contributed as much as anyone in the run to the playoffs once we hit our stride.
08-09 never looked comfortable with Keltie and Toner was bog standard; Hill's signings really didn't help Jones, but he had a good season despite this.
09-10 Another slow start culminating in getting subbed early in the second half v Morecambe, his replacement Stephens getting the equaliser in the 3-3. Responded well to that and was very good before getting injured in November. Jason Taylor came in and we ran away with promotion (if not the title). When he did return there were games when he was the best player - inc. Dagenham where his goal turned a game that looked like a draw, and Accrington where he drove the team on after we'd gone two behind. However his role in Hill's three man midfield never looked too comfortable for him, but it was part of a masterplan for the following campaign....
10-11 given a role as the furthest forward midfielder where he could combine with COG to great effect. Goals aplenty and he looked five years younger. Took a deeper role later on in the season when Done took the position and changed how to play it.
11-12 poor season for everyone. Should have been left out for his own good, managers fault that he wasn't.

Gary Jones, a great servant and a good player.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 23:26 - May 19 with 1253 viewsnordenblue

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 22:24 - May 19 by TalkingSutty

I must have been blinkered when we got promoted to league one and he scored 19 goals from midfield and won player off the year. Remember that goal at Southampton what a belter !! Was that 10 years ago ??

You obviously have very little time for the man or else you would try to put up a more constructive defence. Some Dale fans travel the length and the breadth of the country and the amount of times Jonah popped up with a goal to make the trip worthwhile was amazing. Brighton, QPR, Saints and many others.

Ill put up a constructive defense when you provide some answers to all the facts about Jones when in the team etc,rather than just dismiss many of the previous posts by several people, 442 has provided many points against your selective answers about the man Jones,but don't let the facts get in the way of a good debate!!!Played most his career in an average league 2 team clearly sums him up,thanks and good night
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 07:01 - May 20 with 1201 viewsTalkingSutty

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 23:26 - May 19 by nordenblue

Ill put up a constructive defense when you provide some answers to all the facts about Jones when in the team etc,rather than just dismiss many of the previous posts by several people, 442 has provided many points against your selective answers about the man Jones,but don't let the facts get in the way of a good debate!!!Played most his career in an average league 2 team clearly sums him up,thanks and good night

You have your opinions and i have mine. I no longer have the will or mental capacity to try to compile a post such as 442s notable effort, in fairness it was a balanced assessment and i am glad to see that he is now a fully paid up member of the Gary Jones appreciation society

Trying to dismantle a club legend isnt my style, i bid you farewell
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 08:40 - May 20 with 1162 viewsaleanddale

Gary Jones = Rochdale football Club - Legend.

This thread can now end!!.
Play off final - who are people supporting? on 08:50 - May 20 with 1154 viewsTalkingSutty

Play off final - who are people supporting? on 08:40 - May 20 by aleanddale

Gary Jones = Rochdale football Club - Legend.

This thread can now end!!.

Its all message board ping pong, i am doing it out of boredom in all fairness. Cant wait for June 16th when the River Ribble opens for a spot of Barbel fishing.

It makes a change to be able to have a reasoned debate without it descending into a personal attack of some kind
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024