Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4-4-2 V Derby 11:11 - Nov 1 with 2623 viewsEltham_Ranger

Go for it Harry 4-4-2.

With no Krancjar or Carroll we need to try some different

Green; Simpson, Dunne, Hill, BAE;
Phillips, Barton, O'Neil, Hoilett;
Johnson, Austin.

We'll have enough midfield energy to feed our creative players. We're at home! Let's go for lots of attacking!
4-4-2 V Derby on 11:18 - Nov 1 with 2611 viewsrsonist

Very simplistic to associate two up front with more attacking intent.
4-4-2 V Derby on 11:27 - Nov 1 with 2589 viewssimmo

Agree with the reply, it is not about adding another number up front, although Johnson playing wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing. It should be more about supporting the strikers more with runs from midfield and actually putting crosses into the box. We have one of the best finishers in the league, we need to supply him.

Dependent how people are feeling after a game already this week I would put Hoilett and Phillips wide (although the latter is well out of sorts) and maybe Chevanton behind Austin. Faurlin should start next to Barton.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

4-4-2 V Derby on 11:32 - Nov 1 with 2580 viewsdaveB

personally think against a young Derby side with lots of energy it would be a mistake to play 4-4-2 against them but the majority seem to think thats the only way we should play
4-4-2 V Derby on 11:40 - Nov 1 with 2552 views1MoreBrightonR

Its the standard fan response...not beating people 4-0!? play 2 up front..

the issue isnt he number of people up front, its the supply the people upfront are being given.
4-4-2 V Derby on 11:44 - Nov 1 with 2539 viewsPinnerPaul

4-4-2 V Derby on 11:32 - Nov 1 by daveB

personally think against a young Derby side with lots of energy it would be a mistake to play 4-4-2 against them but the majority seem to think thats the only way we should play

Yes agree, its based on the assumption/belief that there is something "wrong" with the preferred formation/method of playing.

I, like Harry, don't think there is, that doesn't mean, within the system, there isn't room for improvement or change.

As others have mentioned we need to play at quicker pace, get the midfield forward a bit more and try to get the ball to CA quicker - we can do all that with one up front.
4-4-2 V Derby on 11:49 - Nov 1 with 2526 viewsloftboy

I would go with the OP team except i would play Faurlin instead of oneil purely for his passing ability.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

4-4-2 V Derby on 11:59 - Nov 1 with 2503 viewsdaveB

all about the tempo we play at, doesn't matter if it's 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 if we are slow in our build up and don't look to get in behind teams we won't create much.
4-4-2 V Derby on 12:07 - Nov 1 with 2492 viewsstevec

We do need to get midfield forward more, just that even with 5 played it still never happens.

For some reason, if 4 defenders can't cope its their fault, if 4 midfielders can't cope its the fault of the system.

Get back to 442 and find out what our midfield is actually made of.
Login to get fewer ads

4-4-2 V Derby on 12:32 - Nov 1 with 2445 viewsrsonist

We were playing 4-4-2 before Carroll and Kranjcar were brought in. The results were scraping by but I don't remember being treated to any orgies of guns blazing football either. Most games were like watching two drunk tramps slugging it out in fact, and not in a good way.

But then that just goes to show that 4-4-2s - like any other formation - are whatever you make them, they don't guarantee brilliant or inept football by themselves. Five in midfield can work (matter of fact find me a successful side who doesn't play a version of this right now) but if the players can't get their heads around it (Henry, Hoilett, Phillips), or if the right personnel aren't available (Carroll, Kranjcar) then 4-4-2 may well be the most effective use of what we have at this moment.
4-4-2 V Derby on 12:33 - Nov 1 with 2441 viewsderbyhoop

I've got a radical idea. Why not play the system that's best suited to the available players.
It really doesn't matter if you play 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, 8-1-1 (copyright Paul Hart). If you don't have a decent tempo and don't get adequate support to the front men, you don't score many goals. But, if you rely on 4 defenders and a keeper to contain a side with 6 attacking players, you're probably going to concede.

I'd like to think that, after 30+ years as a top (, top, top, triffic) manager, Harry might know what he's doing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

4-4-2 V Derby on 12:46 - Nov 1 with 2421 viewsthemodfather

derby have improved, mclaren will know us quite well and he won't go gung ho v us either.
they have no robbie savage to keep one of our's in his pocket all night either!! lol
i'd hope we go 2 upfront somewhere during the 90mins. yes i'd take another 1-0 win.
we are due a home win v this lot, i can't recall too many lately.
4-4-2 V Derby on 12:49 - Nov 1 with 2407 viewsTheBlob

Why put Johnson in front of Chevanton?Chevy got a brace against Brentford in that reserve workout and looked sharper than AJ.If I were him I'd be spitting tortillas.
Agreed 4-4-2,it's God's Formation after all.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

4-4-2 V Derby on 12:55 - Nov 1 with 2398 viewsBrianMcCarthy

4-4-2 V Derby on 11:59 - Nov 1 by daveB

all about the tempo we play at, doesn't matter if it's 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 if we are slow in our build up and don't look to get in behind teams we won't create much.

Agreed. I would add that slow tempo is fine and even a good thing in the right areas of the pitch and until we open up a gap, but tempo needs to be raised thereafter. It's the switching from slow to fast in an effective manner that unlocks defences - movement, movement and more movement.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

4-4-2 V Derby on 12:58 - Nov 1 with 2393 viewsAgedR

Swap Faurlin for Johnson and play 1 (or 3) up front, dependent on how you look at at.

Not sure that Faurlin is at his best in a 442, but, you need his range of passing and a Barton/O'Neil pairing offers enough protection.

Of course we miss Kranjar, as there is no-one else in the squad that can float about in the gaps when we attack.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

4-4-2 V Derby on 14:58 - Nov 1 with 2332 viewsderbyhoop

4-4-2 V Derby on 12:46 - Nov 1 by themodfather

derby have improved, mclaren will know us quite well and he won't go gung ho v us either.
they have no robbie savage to keep one of our's in his pocket all night either!! lol
i'd hope we go 2 upfront somewhere during the 90mins. yes i'd take another 1-0 win.
we are due a home win v this lot, i can't recall too many lately.

We haven't beaten Derby in the last 10 home meetings.
Very odd, as we still haven't lost since they moved to Pride Park.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

4-4-2 V Derby on 15:19 - Nov 1 with 2317 viewsBrazilNutR

what about starting Johnson and Chevy up top...benching Charlie. Give him a bit of a rest...long season after all..and can come on to replace whoever is less effective if needed. I think these two up top would pressure the defence a lot..as they both chases down everything from what i've seen.. ..

just an idea..
4-4-2 V Derby on 17:39 - Nov 1 with 2258 viewsbaz_qpr

4-4-2 means the recall of Henry alongside Barton and us being relient on either Phillips or Hoilett both whom have been pretty rank recently with O'neil on the other side. I still dont see our creativity without Niko
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024