Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. 11:38 - May 22 with 10879 viewsRAFC1907

I am pleased George Donnelly is staying at the club, and im pretty sure Keith Hill will be.

Having read some of the comments on here, it is clear not many of you have played the game at a decent level.

We have no Paddy McCourts or Will Buckleys at the club, everyone on the team has the footballing brain, and everyone on the team is a grafter, Hendo, Vincenti, etc.

Talent is no substitute for hard work and unless of course your representing the likes of Brazil, Spain etc then hard work will always come before talent. 90% of footballers get results from hard work.

Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona: all three have a mix, they have the grafters, and then the 10% from Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez that can make the difference.

If you had 11 of them on each team, I would not expect them to win once.

George Donnelly causes havoc, his runs off the ball create space, his runs in behind cause problems, his ever lasting energy does'nt let defenders breathe, he holds the ball up, all of the points create goals, he also chips in with a few goals to. If he did not do any of those points then fair enough, but he does.

I think some of you forget the past, it was only last season that people moaned about the effortless performances of the players. Their lack of desire to compete to win football matches for Rochdale football club.

It is a pleasure to pay hard earned money to watch the likes of George Donnelly give 120%, we would'nt of done it without him.

It is only Keith Hills opinion that matters afterall.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Poll: Bottomley...

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 15:49 - May 22 with 2289 viewsCreepy

Out on loan by October
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 15:49 - May 22 with 2289 viewsStreety1996

He's not scored many goals but hes a hard worker

Poll: Lillis or Logan?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 15:57 - May 22 with 2260 viewspioneer

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 15:49 - May 22 by Streety1996

He's not scored many goals but hes a hard worker

So was my mother but I wouldn't have put her in the squad.

Looks like to a certain extent our hands were tied by contractual clauses - so we have him and I am sure KH will use him in whatever way he thinks gives us the best chance of succeeding - which may or may not mean loaning him out.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 16:17 - May 22 with 2216 viewsdeeplishblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:04 - May 22 by chuckleberry

We have no Paddy McCourts or Will Buckleys at the club, everyone on the team has the footballing brain, and everyone on the team is a grafter, Hendo, Vincenti, etc.

Donnelly doesn't have a footballing brain though. He runs around like a headless chicken and usually hasn't a clue what to do near the goal. If Donnelly becomes a great player next season I'll show my arse on the town hall steps.

On a busy Friday dinner?

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:10 - May 22 with 2152 viewsTommoRAFC

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 16:17 - May 22 by deeplishblue

On a busy Friday dinner?

As stated by many on here Donnelly's contract was out of Hill's hands, the statement for the release list made it clear.

But we're stuck with him for another year so it's up to GD9 to prove he does have a brain and work as hard as he fooking can to make an impression in League One cause he won't ever get another chance if he doesn't.

Fortunately our board, despite criticism on this thread, won't be paying out buryesque wages for GD9's services so it's not the end of the world.

We do still need another striker though because if GD9 is plan b then we won't be hanging about in League One for long...

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:14 - May 22 with 2146 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:20 - May 22 by Mass_Debater

Using those criteria, clubs would never release any players.

Cavanagh scored at Hartlepool. Let's get him back pronto.

#Stalker alert# Why? People are arguing that Donnelly doesn't contribute - when he clearly did.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:27 - May 22 with 2113 viewsThran

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:14 - May 22 by dingdangblue

#Stalker alert# Why? People are arguing that Donnelly doesn't contribute - when he clearly did.

I think they're arguing that he should have done more, for example if he hadn't missed the sitter against Dagenham we would have been ahead of Chesterfield leading up to the Newport game.

5 goals from a Striker in 30+ appearances isn't good enough for League 2 let alone league 1 especially when some of them are debatable such as the Burton goal (The bounce into the keeper and the keeper spilling it into the net).

But hey, lets hope he can practice his finishing in time xD

Poll: Bigger drop, Wigan or Tranmere?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:30 - May 22 with 2100 viewsSwissdale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:22 - May 22 by JumeirahDale

He's here now, Hilly has given him plenty of game time this last season and praised him in public - I trust in Hilly and Chris Beech's judgement. And whilst I think George is not a natural goalscorer, I can see he adds something to the squad and I love his enthusiasm (I would take Georgie over 10 clones of Ashley Grimes).

The strength of opinion of some posters on here is absolutely fair - everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'm curious to see how sure people are! Would any people in the "George is sh*t" camp be willing to pledge a fiver (Dale Trust / Springhill Hospice / whatever) for every goal George gets in excess of his 5 from last season?
[Post edited 22 May 2014 14:23]

I'll take that on, in fact I'll just donate a fiver for each league goal he scores.

Would all the George lovers be willing to pledge £1 each time he plays and doesn't score?
Login to get fewer ads

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:20 - May 22 with 2027 viewsMass_Debater

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:14 - May 22 by dingdangblue

#paranoiaalert

People aren't saying he's doesn't contribute, they are saying he doesn't contribute enough and isn't good enough for league 1.

Citing a couple of incidents from the season doesn't change that.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:21 - May 22 with 2026 viewschuckleberry

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 16:17 - May 22 by deeplishblue

On a busy Friday dinner?

Yes.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:23 - May 22 with 2021 viewsAtThePeake

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:30 - May 22 by Swissdale

I'll take that on, in fact I'll just donate a fiver for each league goal he scores.

Would all the George lovers be willing to pledge £1 each time he plays and doesn't score?

The guy has played about 50 games for the club and you're picking out a couple of moments here and there to say he has contributed.

I'm not being funny but I'd like to think if I had been playing as often as Donnelly did in the third best side in the division last season I'd have made a couple of good passes and scored a few lucky goals.

Arguments with regards to comparing him to Ashley Grimes etc. are absolutely pointless - is anybody saying we should get Ashley Grimes instead?

Nobody is denying that GD works hard and has a good attitude - the point is there are much better options out there, simple as that.

Just had a look through the PFA transfer list site (possibly my favourite site in the world) for some other options and whilst I understand that the wages of some of these players will be way out of our range, here are just a few options available who I'd take over GD:

Charlie MacDonald
Andy Keogh
Will Hoskins
Billy Paynter
Enoch Showunmi
John Cofie
Scott Spencer

Speaking of which I heard a rumour that we're looking at Shrewsbury winger Jon Taylor from a lad I know who used to go to school with him and he's currently weighing up his options - has another year at Shrewsbury and a couple of other L1 sides are after him apparently.

Tangled up in blue.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:23 - May 22 with 2018 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 17:27 - May 22 by Thran

I think they're arguing that he should have done more, for example if he hadn't missed the sitter against Dagenham we would have been ahead of Chesterfield leading up to the Newport game.

5 goals from a Striker in 30+ appearances isn't good enough for League 2 let alone league 1 especially when some of them are debatable such as the Burton goal (The bounce into the keeper and the keeper spilling it into the net).

But hey, lets hope he can practice his finishing in time xD

He didn't need to do more as for most of the season he was either injured or used as a sub due to Hogans incredible start to his professional career. I don't mind George playing this role again next season - Hilly is happy. As for people saying Hillys hands were tied with the contract offer? He's publicly stated he loves the guy so a contract offer would have most probably come anyway.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:44 - May 22 with 1994 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:23 - May 22 by AtThePeake

The guy has played about 50 games for the club and you're picking out a couple of moments here and there to say he has contributed.

I'm not being funny but I'd like to think if I had been playing as often as Donnelly did in the third best side in the division last season I'd have made a couple of good passes and scored a few lucky goals.

Arguments with regards to comparing him to Ashley Grimes etc. are absolutely pointless - is anybody saying we should get Ashley Grimes instead?

Nobody is denying that GD works hard and has a good attitude - the point is there are much better options out there, simple as that.

Just had a look through the PFA transfer list site (possibly my favourite site in the world) for some other options and whilst I understand that the wages of some of these players will be way out of our range, here are just a few options available who I'd take over GD:

Charlie MacDonald
Andy Keogh
Will Hoskins
Billy Paynter
Enoch Showunmi
John Cofie
Scott Spencer

Speaking of which I heard a rumour that we're looking at Shrewsbury winger Jon Taylor from a lad I know who used to go to school with him and he's currently weighing up his options - has another year at Shrewsbury and a couple of other L1 sides are after him apparently.

John Cofie?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 19:18 - May 22 with 1957 viewsrochdale1987

George Donnelly does not have a footballing brain.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 19:46 - May 22 with 1931 viewsR17ALE

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:20 - May 22 by SaxonDale

Since when do you have to have played the game at a decent level to have a reasoned opinion on football? I know several people who have played to a decent standard but would value many of the opinions given on here over theirs.

Exactly. Both Coleman and Barrow had played the game to a decent standard, and couldn't spot decent players - in Barrow's case famously passing up on the chance to sign a very young Lee Trundle, circa 1997, from Chorley saying he would never make it in the game as he was "too slow"! He persisted with the mercury like Leonard instead!!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:02 - May 22 with 1897 views442Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 19:46 - May 22 by R17ALE

Exactly. Both Coleman and Barrow had played the game to a decent standard, and couldn't spot decent players - in Barrow's case famously passing up on the chance to sign a very young Lee Trundle, circa 1997, from Chorley saying he would never make it in the game as he was "too slow"! He persisted with the mercury like Leonard instead!!

And he was bloody told at Chorley by some obviously clued up fans that Trundle would offer us something different.

That should have been enough to sign him. God, Barrow was terrible.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:04 - May 22 with 1890 viewsTVOS1907

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:23 - May 22 by dingdangblue

He didn't need to do more as for most of the season he was either injured or used as a sub due to Hogans incredible start to his professional career. I don't mind George playing this role again next season - Hilly is happy. As for people saying Hillys hands were tied with the contract offer? He's publicly stated he loves the guy so a contract offer would have most probably come anyway.

I very much doubt that in public, Hill's going to state he doesn't like Donnelly.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:25 - May 22 with 1856 viewsChaffRAFC

Go get the ball George, get the ball, gooooooood boy!!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:36 - May 22 with 1835 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:04 - May 22 by TVOS1907

I very much doubt that in public, Hill's going to state he doesn't like Donnelly.

Very true - but he would probably say nothing if that was the case.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:37 - May 22 with 1828 viewspl56

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:04 - May 22 by TVOS1907

True , although even as someone who isn't really a Donnelly fan , I can't escape the conclusion that , in this case , actions speak louder than words . Obviously the exact details of the option trigger are not known , but its a fact that Hill selected the player sufficiently often to justify the exercise of the option , even despite the fact , as already pointed out on this thread , Donnelly suffered injuries and was often on the bench when other options were probably available . In addition we had chance to bring in another and better striking option when Cummins loan was extended in January . These points seem to reinforce the references to statements made about Donnelly's contribution in the manager's eyes .

As often quoted here , we have to trust in Hill's judgment on these matters , so criticism now seems rather non-constructive
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:40 - May 22 with 1819 viewsfinberty

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 18:23 - May 22 by AtThePeake

Charlie MacDonald
Andy Keogh
Will Hoskins
Billy Paynter
Enoch Showunmi
John Cofie
Scott Spencer

'whilst I understand that the wages of some of these players will be way out of our range, here are just a few options available who I'd take over GD.....:

On that basis then, here are a few others:

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Luis Suarez

Yes, GD doesn't score many, but I prefer the industry and graft of a trier than the contemptible non-effort from some of his predecessors. And his movement off the ball creates space for others. If he doesn't know what he's about to do, how the hell is the nearest defender supposed to know?
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:40 - May 22 with 1819 viewsolympicdale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:25 - May 22 by ChaffRAFC

Go get the ball George, get the ball, gooooooood boy!!

Georgie playing the game sometimes can be like watching a dog chase a car, he'll never get it, and even if he did, couldn't drive it.

Life is a game of fate.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:55 - May 22 with 1788 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:40 - May 22 by olympicdale

Georgie playing the game sometimes can be like watching a dog chase a car, he'll never get it, and even if he did, couldn't drive it.

And sometimes he's involved in goals and games that get us promoted.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:57 - May 22 with 1779 views442Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:40 - May 22 by finberty

'whilst I understand that the wages of some of these players will be way out of our range, here are just a few options available who I'd take over GD.....:

On that basis then, here are a few others:

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Luis Suarez

Yes, GD doesn't score many, but I prefer the industry and graft of a trier than the contemptible non-effort from some of his predecessors. And his movement off the ball creates space for others. If he doesn't know what he's about to do, how the hell is the nearest defender supposed to know?

Apart from players from the relegation/pre-Hill 12-13 era, which forwards have we had that didn't put a shift in? The whole team was pretty poor during that time, but it shouldn't affect anything we expect from forwards now.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:03 - May 22 with 1755 views442Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:55 - May 22 by dingdangblue

And sometimes he's involved in goals and games that get us promoted.

Lee Thorpe was involved in helping the team reach the play-offs twice, but I'm glad we didn't keep him at the end of the 08/09 season.

Almost all players have their uses at various times. Individual incidents don't make them good or bad, overall form does.

For the record, Thorpe was ok. 6.5/10.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024