Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swearing & children at LR 13:57 - Jan 20 with 9169 viewsPinnerPaul

This happened at last home game, but only posting now as we're all a bit happier with life at the moment so i might get some calmer replies!

Guy sits next to me, ST holder and normally comes with his Dad.

On New years day he turned up with a mate, much more animated than usual, suspect they had been celebrating New year!

After 5 mins he shouted "F***" at referee or Karl Henry - can't remember which!

Parents with 6 year old ish child (also S/T holders) took great exception to this. Him and his mate did tone down language a little but were still swearing occasionally all through the match.

At end of game, father of boy took a picture of ST holders seat, with name on , to report I guess!

This was in ER , not family stand.

My thoughts is this boy must have heard F word many time in the first half of the season .

Thoughts? - are people "allowed" to swear in LR? - none of what they said was racist/homophobic etc btw
Swearing & children at LR on 14:06 - Jan 20 with 5089 viewsToast_R

In an ideal world perhaps it would be nice if supporters didnt get wasted and turn up spitting bile. But that's football afterall.

If people don't want to hear men (or women) swearing they have the family stand or rugby.
I've been going to football matches with my dad since I was 7, terraces all sorts. I'm not in an asylum just yet.
Swearing & children at LR on 14:14 - Jan 20 with 5057 viewsDave_Lazy

My thoughts are that he probably hears it in the background or as "white noise" and that is different to having it screamed directly behind you so that you can hear it. My recollection is that he asked the guys politely. The two guys that you are referring to were somewhat worse for wear and had a bottle of alcohol which they mixed in with their soft drink. They left this under the seat at the final whistle.
As someone that sits near to the family you are talking about I endeavour to curtail my industrial language so he doesn't hear it from me. Don't get me wrong, I can swear and misbehave with the best of them.
I feel for the mum and dad as they want him to experience the beautiful game and he enjoys it, yet they try to minimise his exposure to the language that has increased in strength over the last two frustrating seasons that I have been sitting there.
Apart from moving to the so called family stand or not attending games full stop, I wonder what alternatives this family has as they try to minimise the effects it may have on him.
Swearing & children at LR on 14:23 - Jan 20 with 5011 viewspaulparker

taking pictures of peoples seats and reporting them because they occasionally swore
is bang out of order, and proper snide
if it was racist, or they kept using the C word every 5 minutes I can understand
but if it were a few fcuks here and there I don't see a problem, especially after that performance
its football end of the day, not the ballet , when I was a kid you had terrace surges, smoking , fights, swearing, for games against West Ham, Arsenal , Spurs, Chelsea you could smell trouble in the air, its nothing like that these days
no wonder the place has zero atmosphere at the moment

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Swearing & children at LR on 14:26 - Jan 20 with 4995 viewsdaveB

seems a bit over the top to report them, I sit in the family stand with my 6 year old son, he hears swearing and laughs about it when we get home, he knows not to repeat it so no problem at all.
Swearing & children at LR on 14:27 - Jan 20 with 4993 viewsMytch_QPR

The issue is that LR is obviously a tightly packed stadium and there are not separate 'stands' as such in the sense that they all link together.
I sat in the Family Area on New Years day with a mate and his young lad (first game) and, being in the corner, had an earful of a supporter who stood through the entire game in the paddock and was fairly animated language-wise.

It would have been good if a steward had intervened at some stage and pointed out that he was sitting right next to the Family Area and there were young kids there - but that didn't happen.

In short, I don't have the answer but I'd hate to think that the next generation of Rs are being discouraged to attend games because of this sort of situation.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Swearing & children at LR on 14:29 - Jan 20 with 4975 viewsWokingR

As always everyone needs to give a little
The family are probably being a little naïve if they expect to go to football and not hear a bit of swearing. As already pointed out, there is a family section if you want to keep everything child friendly and sanitized.
And if asked, the guys need to tone it down a bit and accept that they are causing offence. No one would expect them to stop completely as these are obviously very frustrating times
Swearing & children at LR on 14:31 - Jan 20 with 4969 viewsNorthernr

If it's massively excessive - constant, loud, cnt, racist, abusive etc - or it's in the family stand then you're probably within your rights to have a word.

If not, you're at the fcking football, get a grip.
Swearing & children at LR on 14:32 - Jan 20 with 4965 viewsgobbles

Swearing & children at LR on 14:26 - Jan 20 by daveB

seems a bit over the top to report them, I sit in the family stand with my 6 year old son, he hears swearing and laughs about it when we get home, he knows not to repeat it so no problem at all.

Depends how frequent and aggressive it was. There is a difference between swearing, for instance, and being up on your feet shouting abuse at someone. The key points is not necessarily the language, but the threat and how that might be scary to a young child.

I remember a few years ago, two guys behind me were just constantly shouting aggressive, sweary abuse at the team and there were kids around. Just as I was getting to the point where I couldn't take it anymore, they were gone. Someone else had complained. Good riddance.
Login to get fewer ads

Swearing & children at LR on 14:33 - Jan 20 with 4958 viewsrrrspricey

What harm does a child hearing swearing actually have on it! Like ToastR my dad started taking me to LR from a young age. I've now been going for 46 years and consider myself to be a reasonably well rounded individual and it's nothing they don't hear in the playground on a daily basis.

Being a football fan evokes extreme emotions. Other than my team scoring, there's absolutely nothing else in this world that would make me jump around like a lunatic hugging strangers but the flip-side of that is extreme anger and associated swearing when things aren't going your way.

To me, if I didn't want my child exposed to this behavior then sit in family stand or don't go and have said that previously when I've been asked to curb my language.
Swearing & children at LR on 14:35 - Jan 20 with 4942 viewsLongsufferingR

For me, it's about thinking of others as well as yourself. I swear at matches as much as anybody (especially recently) but there are no young kids near me. If I'm at an away match and young kids are nearby, I try and keep myself in check.

To say that people not swearing is why the atmosphere at games is poor is ridiculous.
Swearing & children at LR on 14:36 - Jan 20 with 4936 viewsDiscodroids

I myself have been caught up in a game and let the odd f word come right out.Not too much mind you.

When i catch myself on, i look around and Always apologise to any parents with kids and in 99.99 % of cases its accpeted in good grace, and with gratitude in the manner that the apology was delivered.

If it was just a bit of occasional swearing in the heat of the moment than i have no qualms of delivering a fuking arsehole verdict to the bloke who took a picture of the geezers seat. If it was over the top cnting abuse then the bloke is quite right to take the pillocks picture.

but for me, If i wish to be feminized and emasculated , I wont choose w12 and a football match for the occasion to sit there and act like a mute , non emotional German Librarian in pantyhose with my finger on my lips .

There are other Dojo's for that activity.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2016 14:42]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Swearing & children at LR on 14:42 - Jan 20 with 4894 viewsBrightonhoop

Swearing & children at LR on 14:31 - Jan 20 by Northernr

If it's massively excessive - constant, loud, cnt, racist, abusive etc - or it's in the family stand then you're probably within your rights to have a word.

If not, you're at the fcking football, get a grip.

Depends on the context. I grew up with it at LR, not much a parent can do about 15,000 R's singing 'Duncan McKenzies' a w4nker.' As a parent you have to take the rough with the smooth, and the kids are going to hear it in the playground anyway, so long as they understand you as a parent wont accept in the house etc, you really have to just laugh it off.
If it's a couple of coked up tssers you're risking a slap if you say anything, seen it in ER myself and you risk a ban yourself if you retaliate so some knobheads deserve the snide reporting even though I wouldn't so myself.
Most in ER are half decent and moderate behaviour if they see your boy nearby and minimise the language so as always it's just a few Danny Dyer wannabees on coke that spoil it. If someone else reports them I wont miss them.
If someones a persistent weapon you always have the choice to move seats.
Swearing & children at LR on 14:44 - Jan 20 with 4881 viewsHayesender

Fck sake, I don't even realise I'm swearing half the fcking time for Fck sake.

Cnts

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Swearing & children at LR on 14:49 - Jan 20 with 4863 viewsstevec

I'd like to see the lower loft converted into a 'Profanities only' section.

It worked wonders in the early 70's, the look on Terry Neills face as he missed that penalty should go down in Rangers folklore.
Swearing & children at LR on 15:00 - Jan 20 with 4810 viewsloftboy

When the Chelsea coach arrived for the cup game after the Terry,Anton incident,my son who at the time.was 8 was on my shoulders, he called terry a scummy wánker, a new age scum fan in front of me said "he hasn't been brought up very well" I replied "normally I would agree with you mate,but I've also brought him up not to tell lies". In short he's learnt all his language at LR and various away games, its football, its expected, his best effort was on Putney station after the 6-0, a young lad was jumping up and down in his green wellies saying it was the best day of his life, junior called him a 'Tarquin twát"

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Swearing & children at LR on 15:09 - Jan 20 with 4766 viewsdaveB

Swearing & children at LR on 14:32 - Jan 20 by gobbles

Depends how frequent and aggressive it was. There is a difference between swearing, for instance, and being up on your feet shouting abuse at someone. The key points is not necessarily the language, but the threat and how that might be scary to a young child.

I remember a few years ago, two guys behind me were just constantly shouting aggressive, sweary abuse at the team and there were kids around. Just as I was getting to the point where I couldn't take it anymore, they were gone. Someone else had complained. Good riddance.

Oh yeah I think it was was constant and aggressive then my kid would be scared and would put him off coming but hearing a few swear words during the game shouldn't be a problem.
Swearing & children at LR on 15:10 - Jan 20 with 4758 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Of course it's wrong to behave like that in front of children. It just is. And it being football is no excuse.

The questions are:-

1) Does it do any harm? I don't know the answer to this. I brought my sister down when she was a kid and it didn't harm her, but that's hardly scientific, and

2) Do we care? Probably not.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Swearing & children at LR on 15:12 - Jan 20 with 4739 viewsjohncharles

It would be nice if we had stewards who did a little more than occasionally gang up on one poor sod who looked the wrong way. It would be nice if they could have a word in the ear of the occasional nutter screaming abuse continually, abuse that has little to do with the game we're all trying to watch. No need to arrest anyone or throw anyone out of the ground, just a reminder that abuse is over top. It would be reassuring to those around the nutter that the club is in control.
It would be nice but .............

Strong and stable my arse.

Swearing & children at LR on 15:18 - Jan 20 with 4709 viewsQPunkR

Swearing & children at LR on 15:12 - Jan 20 by johncharles

It would be nice if we had stewards who did a little more than occasionally gang up on one poor sod who looked the wrong way. It would be nice if they could have a word in the ear of the occasional nutter screaming abuse continually, abuse that has little to do with the game we're all trying to watch. No need to arrest anyone or throw anyone out of the ground, just a reminder that abuse is over top. It would be reassuring to those around the nutter that the club is in control.
It would be nice but .............

.... fúck 'em all!!
[Post edited 20 Jan 2016 15:29]

QPR - "shit but local"

Swearing & children at LR on 15:20 - Jan 20 with 4707 viewssimmo

I got told to stop swearing in a pub once, it gave me the right hump!

It would be different in the family stand though, I have been in there with my young son and had no bother, if I'd have heard the occasional fck or shit used in context that's fine, but any consistent or unnecessary swearing around my boy and I would definitely have had a word. Drink shouldn't be an excuse there either because if you can't control your potty mouth after drink you shouldn't be in the family section.

Anyway, the last time I accidentally swore in front of my son (he's 8) was when one of the 6 bags I was carrying broke and he said - 'you said a bad word there Daddy, but it's because the bag broke isn't it?. So he said 'it's OK, I won't tell Mummy' - and this kid is a fcking GRASS. But if an 8 year old can distinguish between a frustrated outburst and casual swearing, they can distinguish between people at the football and everywhere else.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Swearing & children at LR on 15:27 - Jan 20 with 4667 viewssimmo

Exactly as DD points out above, I have outbursts quite often and occasionally notice after that there's kids nearby, so always offer a hand up and quick apology. Almost every time I have it's met with 'no worries, mate' or the occasional 'don't worry, he hears worse at home!' type joke response. People expect it and are usually fine, as long as it's not OTT

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Swearing & children at LR on 15:57 - Jan 20 with 4568 viewsCliff

Swearing & children at LR on 15:27 - Jan 20 by simmo

Exactly as DD points out above, I have outbursts quite often and occasionally notice after that there's kids nearby, so always offer a hand up and quick apology. Almost every time I have it's met with 'no worries, mate' or the occasional 'don't worry, he hears worse at home!' type joke response. People expect it and are usually fine, as long as it's not OTT

I've been taking my kids for years, and in fact they've had ST's since we were in the old Div 2. So I know they would have been 7 to 8 and 9 to 10 in their first ST years. Occasionally, with kids, something comes up that stops one of them going to a game, like a mates birthday party. Whenever this happened I offered the seat to a friend of the kid that was going. I always warned them of the type of language and behaviour they might see. One kid was from quite a posher family than mine and I clearly remember her reply which was : "Excellent it will be good for him to see the type of person that resorts to that kind of behaviour!", I watched my P's and Q's that day!
Swearing & children at LR on 15:59 - Jan 20 with 4553 viewsMetallica_Hoop

If you are not in the FS then you can swear.

I moderate my language when back in there and no longer kick the wall as I did when I had a ST there.

Always been swearing at football especially when I used to stand as a child/teen.

If people don't like it they should buy tickets for the family stand.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Swearing & children at LR on 16:11 - Jan 20 with 4498 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks all for the replies, bit spooked that Dave Lazy took such a great interest, must sit pretty near me - eeek!
Swearing & children at LR on 16:13 - Jan 20 with 4489 viewsHayesender

I once got ejected from Highbury for uncontrolled swearing at Gary fcking Chivers.

I think I was well within my rights

Poll: Shamima Beghum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024