Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea's city centre redevelopment 14:45 - Jan 21 with 9933 viewsSwanzay

Swansea Council leader Rob Stewart and Business Minister Edwina Hart will reveal the blueprint for Swansea's city centre redevelopment on Friday morning.

With plans for a new retail and leisure space and improved links between the city centre and the sea, it is one of the most anticipated announcements in Swansea's recent history.

Can we be hopefull of a decent proposal that will regenerate the City or will this be papering over the cracks and the cheaper option?
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 16:16 - Jan 21 with 4215 viewsCopperJack

I imagine due to lack of funding it'll be the cheaper option - a 21st century version of the quadrant covered in that tacky plastic material which seems to be in vogue. Also mentioned that they want to build a new office block where Oceana is to create employment opportunities in the city centre but that it's dependent on funding - I wouldn't hold my breath on receiving any funding from the Cardiff Assembly.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:15 - Jan 21 with 4140 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 16:16 - Jan 21 by CopperJack

I imagine due to lack of funding it'll be the cheaper option - a 21st century version of the quadrant covered in that tacky plastic material which seems to be in vogue. Also mentioned that they want to build a new office block where Oceana is to create employment opportunities in the city centre but that it's dependent on funding - I wouldn't hold my breath on receiving any funding from the Cardiff Assembly.

Exactly. Expect another pile of bullshit to go with all the other regeneration plans that never got off the ground.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:19 - Jan 21 with 4130 viewsLeonisGod

Time will tell. I suspect the leisure and retail stuff closer to the seafront has legs. Can't see the kingsway coming to much though. Even if they find the money, where's the demand. Seem to be plenty of empty offices around already.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:35 - Jan 21 with 4102 viewsDyfnant

They should concentrate on what they already have, LC2 is screaming for a new attraction.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:41 - Jan 21 with 4089 viewsacejack3065

I hope they sort Parc Tawe out. It's like Soviet Russia at the minute.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:43 - Jan 21 with 4081 viewsJackfath

A big fish tank is the answer apparently.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:49 - Jan 21 with 4069 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:43 - Jan 21 by Jackfath

A big fish tank is the answer apparently.

In all seriousness, these giant aquarium things are really very, very good.

The one in London is phenomenally popular, and there is an amazing one in Monterey in California.

I suspect that the development is finally going to happen - the money that is swishing round with the two universities is providing quite a kick start.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:53 - Jan 21 with 4065 viewsLord_Bony

I ll believe it when I see it.

They had a potential 1 billion deal to re develop the Castle Quarter with similar then after years of faffing about they blew it and Hammerson International walked away from the whole thing 3 years ago....all this because of some dozy twits on the council arguing and not moving things forward....

Hope they ve learned a lesson and get this thing started.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:55 - Jan 21 with 4056 viewsacejack3065

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:53 - Jan 21 by Lord_Bony

I ll believe it when I see it.

They had a potential 1 billion deal to re develop the Castle Quarter with similar then after years of faffing about they blew it and Hammerson International walked away from the whole thing 3 years ago....all this because of some dozy twits on the council arguing and not moving things forward....

Hope they ve learned a lesson and get this thing started.

Didn't we miss out on IKEA as well because of the Lib Dems in the council faffing?
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:58 - Jan 21 with 4051 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:41 - Jan 21 by acejack3065

I hope they sort Parc Tawe out. It's like Soviet Russia at the minute.

Really can t understand why they cant get good tenants to fill that place...lazy agents I think...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:03 - Jan 21 with 4031 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:55 - Jan 21 by acejack3065

Didn't we miss out on IKEA as well because of the Lib Dems in the council faffing?

no - Ikea wouldn't come to Swansea because of transport / road distribution issues and they couldn't be sorted (no interest from you know where - oh look who ended up getting the store!). Same as Waitrose - they could never afford to come to Swansea because their distribution model doesn't make sense for only one or two stores in the area. They are relying on Ocado distribution extending West to service them as well or John Lewis itself opening - again they are been promised incentive after incentive to come but won't because they believe (or did do - may have changed) that the surrounding area couldn't support the store - not least because people in Swansea who want John Lewis stuff just travel to Cardiff in only an hour or so or just buy online.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:13 - Jan 21 with 4004 viewsJackfath

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:03 - Jan 21 by londonlisa2001

no - Ikea wouldn't come to Swansea because of transport / road distribution issues and they couldn't be sorted (no interest from you know where - oh look who ended up getting the store!). Same as Waitrose - they could never afford to come to Swansea because their distribution model doesn't make sense for only one or two stores in the area. They are relying on Ocado distribution extending West to service them as well or John Lewis itself opening - again they are been promised incentive after incentive to come but won't because they believe (or did do - may have changed) that the surrounding area couldn't support the store - not least because people in Swansea who want John Lewis stuff just travel to Cardiff in only an hour or so or just buy online.

The only place Waitrose would go into is Mumbles. The rest of Swansea would be priced out. Unless the OAP's drive to it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:16 - Jan 21 with 3992 viewsJackfath

They should make the area a central hub for charity shops, nail bars and tanning salons. Offer incentives for people to come from all over the country to come. Build a large purpose built hotel and club for the sort of people that would like these shops. It would bring money into the city and get us recognition nationwide.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:17 - Jan 21 with 3986 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:49 - Jan 21 by londonlisa2001

In all seriousness, these giant aquarium things are really very, very good.

The one in London is phenomenally popular, and there is an amazing one in Monterey in California.

I suspect that the development is finally going to happen - the money that is swishing round with the two universities is providing quite a kick start.

The one in London is rubbish and overpriced. Swansea can do a hell of a lot better than that.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:18 - Jan 21 with 3980 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:13 - Jan 21 by Jackfath

The only place Waitrose would go into is Mumbles. The rest of Swansea would be priced out. Unless the OAP's drive to it.

The rec is the preferred site I believe.

And they are certainly no more expensive than M&S for food (a lot cheaper actually) and they do fine in Swansea.

There is a lot of people with money in Swansea and surrounding areas these days - they shove up flats costing half a million and above and they all go very quickly.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:33 - Jan 21 with 3937 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:16 - Jan 21 by Jackfath

They should make the area a central hub for charity shops, nail bars and tanning salons. Offer incentives for people to come from all over the country to come. Build a large purpose built hotel and club for the sort of people that would like these shops. It would bring money into the city and get us recognition nationwide.

Dont forget the Vapour shops...they are the next big thing in swansea

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:38 - Jan 21 with 3919 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:17 - Jan 21 by Dr_Winston

The one in London is rubbish and overpriced. Swansea can do a hell of a lot better than that.

I've never been - I just said it was phenomenally popular!!

I have been to the one in Monterey and it's excellent.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:41 - Jan 21 with 3911 viewsLord_Bony

Big difference between Monterey Bay,California and Swansea...we have rain 334 days of the year FACT.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:45 - Jan 21 with 3898 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:41 - Jan 21 by Lord_Bony

Big difference between Monterey Bay,California and Swansea...we have rain 334 days of the year FACT.

of course, but for an aquarium it really doesn't matter much :-)

More people would be attracted to the area for holidays / visits if they knew that there was good stuff to do when it rains and they can't go to the beach. I think it's a good idea and would be very very popular.
Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:47 - Jan 21 with 3884 viewsBanosswan

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 17:58 - Jan 21 by Lord_Bony

Really can t understand why they cant get good tenants to fill that place...lazy agents I think...

It was in the post last week, 10m development starting soon. All the tenants have been told to find other premises.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:54 - Jan 21 with 3864 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:47 - Jan 21 by Banosswan

It was in the post last week, 10m development starting soon. All the tenants have been told to find other premises.

Shame I was thinking of doing something there again...

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:56 - Jan 21 with 3854 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:45 - Jan 21 by londonlisa2001

of course, but for an aquarium it really doesn't matter much :-)

More people would be attracted to the area for holidays / visits if they knew that there was good stuff to do when it rains and they can't go to the beach. I think it's a good idea and would be very very popular.

Would be ideal then in Parc Tawe in one of those big units or two...next to Plantasia..

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 19:08 - Jan 21 with 3822 viewsJackfath

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:56 - Jan 21 by Lord_Bony

Would be ideal then in Parc Tawe in one of those big units or two...next to Plantasia..

What a jewel Plantasia is! Such a brilliant place to go.

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 20:19 - Jan 21 with 3717 viewsmax936

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 18:16 - Jan 21 by Jackfath

You won't need to use the hotel though, you only live up the road mun.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea's city centre redevelopment on 20:43 - Jan 21 with 3674 views50pencehead

Because the majority of council bods are more concerned about 2 things, either 'what's in it for me' or I want to create a legacy to be remembered by ie the Kingsway development 10 yrs ago that has now been proved to be a crock of....

Feet like a Toblerone

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024