Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 23:09 - Nov 16 with 19582 viewsDale92

Seeming we are about a week away from the first test. Think its time to get the thread going as im getting fed up of reading about bURY for the past week. Aussies have announced their squad. Bancroft gets the nod over Renshaw as opener- he only got one century in div 2 last year. Tim Paine is back and so it Shaun Marsh. For the Aussies its hardly forminable and Khajawa is in their.

Meanwhile, are boys are playing a 3rf rate team but seem to be doing ok bar Vince. Overton looks promising and Woakes looks like he ready to take on the challange-vice captain anyone?

We can only expect flat, bouncey pitches. Id wish wed have giving foakes a go with bairstow at 3 in the warm up games. I dont think well ever need 2 spinners in Aus. Would have also liked to see us play a decent team before the 1st test..a NZ A team or something wpuld have helped.

Im going for a series draw.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 23:14]

This is the One, I've waited for

Ashes Thread on 09:11 - Dec 3 with 2167 viewsmacro

Today the bowling has just been too weak. Moeen has been a disaster and the cook, Vince collision sums it all up. It's going to be a long 29 overs
Ashes Thread on 18:30 - Dec 5 with 1985 viewsColDale

Should they pull off the impossible in the morning, would this even surpass Headingly in 81?
Ashes Thread on 19:11 - Dec 5 with 1951 viewsSandyman

Ashes Thread on 18:30 - Dec 5 by ColDale

Should they pull off the impossible in the morning, would this even surpass Headingly in 81?

I think it would, especially as it's on the convicts meadow.
Ashes Thread on 19:42 - Dec 5 with 1943 viewsTVOS1907

The Barmy Army mocking Smith's use of the DRS was particularly amusing.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ashes Thread on 20:24 - Dec 5 with 1912 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes Thread on 19:11 - Dec 5 by Sandyman

I think it would, especially as it's on the convicts meadow.

18 overs with the old ball on what should be a decent track in the first session. Get about 60 runs for only 1 wicket and could be game on. Still Aussies as favourite but should be a great 1st session
Ashes Thread on 20:30 - Dec 5 with 1906 viewsD_Alien

Ashes Thread on 19:42 - Dec 5 by TVOS1907

The Barmy Army mocking Smith's use of the DRS was particularly amusing.

It was, and if they could also practice his exaggerated contortions whilst batting, and gurning when the DRS goes against him, I reckon it'd really get to him

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes Thread on 21:01 - Dec 5 with 1880 viewskiwidale

Considering its in Australia, as remarkable as an England win would be and would rank as one of the best ever nothing could ever surpass or come close to Headingly 81... Mind you if Anderson and Broad share a last wicket 50 partnership all in singles to win the match then I might reconsider.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2017 21:02]

This is not the time for bickering.

Ashes Thread on 04:25 - Dec 6 with 1822 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes Thread on 20:24 - Dec 5 by Nigeriamark

18 overs with the old ball on what should be a decent track in the first session. Get about 60 runs for only 1 wicket and could be game on. Still Aussies as favourite but should be a great 1st session

so much for that plan !!! 3 wickets gone in 50 minutes
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 05:29 - Dec 6 with 1812 viewsdownunder

All over now. By the time Stokes is back to form, it will be too late, so may as well bin that idea as well.
Ashes Thread on 07:34 - Dec 6 with 1791 viewsmingthemerciless

Depressing. I didn't think we'd win but I honestly thought we'd bat better than that.
Ashes Thread on 09:12 - Dec 6 with 1746 viewsdingdangblue

Ashes Thread on 07:34 - Dec 6 by mingthemerciless

Depressing. I didn't think we'd win but I honestly thought we'd bat better than that.

It's looking like this is going to be fairly typical of how the series is going to go. Unless Cook or Root get back to scoring big hundreds we are going to lose 5-0. Our tail can't bat against their speed merchants - they are like rabbits in the headlights! Smith's century won them the 1st test and Marsh this one - we don't look like we've anyone likely to do that.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Ashes Thread on 14:01 - Dec 6 with 1693 viewsNigeriamark

Ashes Thread on 09:12 - Dec 6 by dingdangblue

It's looking like this is going to be fairly typical of how the series is going to go. Unless Cook or Root get back to scoring big hundreds we are going to lose 5-0. Our tail can't bat against their speed merchants - they are like rabbits in the headlights! Smith's century won them the 1st test and Marsh this one - we don't look like we've anyone likely to do that.

It's almost as if some of our batsmen cannot switch fully out of 1 day/20:20 mode when it is back to test matches against good sides. Steve Smith who is decent at the short game then managed in a test match to concentrate for several sessions & bat us out of the first game. Our players seem unable to concentrate on every ball & suddenly have a dart at completely unnessesary deliveries, get out and then the next one does the same
Ashes Thread on 18:25 - Dec 6 with 1634 views1mark1

Ashes Thread on 09:12 - Dec 6 by dingdangblue

Very true. Their tail enders seam to manage our paceman far better, as our attack isn’t as threatening to tail enders, as theirs is.

Very poor that we got blown away so quickly today, as really a decent batting lineup would have reached the target on offer, or at least come very close.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Ashes Thread on 20:42 - Dec 6 with 1591 viewspioneer

Can all comments relating to the topic of this thread, the performance of England's cricketers, now be posted on the thread dealing with tripe?
Ashes Thread on 18:03 - Dec 7 with 1513 viewsEllDale

It's the perennial debate about do you want your top order batsmen to be entertainers or men who dig in and bat all day.
I remember players like Boycott and Ken Barrington being dropped or reprimanded for scoring double centuries "too slowly" but at least they had made sure that the team wouldn't lose!
I think it was Australia in the days of the Waughs who set the trend for big, quick hundreds.
I certainly don't expect test batsmen to be getting out off silly strokes like reverse sweeps or holing out in the outfield going for big shots which aren't really on.
As a matter of interest how many test matches actually last for the full five days now apart from the ones which are affected by the weather?
Ashes Thread on 19:35 - Dec 7 with 1470 viewsBrierls

Ashes Thread on 18:25 - Dec 6 by 1mark1

Very true. Their tail enders seam to manage our paceman far better, as our attack isn’t as threatening to tail enders, as theirs is.

Very poor that we got blown away so quickly today, as really a decent batting lineup would have reached the target on offer, or at least come very close.

"Very poor that we got blown away so quickly today, as really a decent batting lineup would have reached the target on offer, or at least come very close."

Based on what? I can only assume you are familiar with successful Ashes run chases in the 4th innings at Adelaide?
Ashes Thread on 19:47 - Dec 7 with 1456 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes Thread on 19:35 - Dec 7 by Brierls

"Very poor that we got blown away so quickly today, as really a decent batting lineup would have reached the target on offer, or at least come very close."

Based on what? I can only assume you are familiar with successful Ashes run chases in the 4th innings at Adelaide?

... or on successful fourth innings run chases in the history of Test cricket.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ashes Thread on 20:07 - Dec 7 with 1442 viewsD_Alien

Ashes Thread on 19:47 - Dec 7 by TVOS1907

... or on successful fourth innings run chases in the history of Test cricket.

He doesn't 'seam' to

Ashes Thread on 21:17 - Dec 7 with 1401 views1mark1

Ashes Thread on 20:07 - Dec 7 by D_Alien

He doesn't 'seam' to

Christ, I make one odd spelling mistake, possibly down to my phone choosing the wrong “seem”, when posting, and me not spotting it and I get pulled up by the oh so perfect spelling police.

Ashes Thread on 21:29 - Dec 7 with 1395 views1mark1

Ashes Thread on 19:35 - Dec 7 by Brierls

Based on the fact that England had going into the fifth day, plenty of wickets left, our best batman set on 67, in partnership with another decent batsman, with about twenty overs left of an old ball, and the fact that more and more scores in the fourth innings of Test matches are high scores. I stand by what I say, that a decent batting lineup , playing careful Test cricket, with good shot selection, and not trying to finish it quickly, as though it was a Twenty Twenty, could have at the very least got close to the target. From what I have seen, read or heard, there was no indication of it being, any other than a decent wicket, certainly not a bowlers’ paradise.

Ashes Thread on 21:30 - Dec 7 with 1392 viewsD_Alien

Ashes Thread on 21:17 - Dec 7 by 1mark1

Christ, I make one odd spelling mistake, possibly down to my phone choosing the wrong “seem”, when posting, and me not spotting it and I get pulled up by the oh so perfect spelling police.

Christ Mark, you've made that same error at least a dozen times in the past couple of months. Just take it on the chin (a bit like a bouncer from Mitchell Starc) and learn from it, it's not the end of the world. If I hadn't pointed it out ( appropriately enough in a cricket thread) someone else would've done sooner or later, and it being me, you've decided to have a go? Ok.

[Post edited 7 Dec 2017 21:31]

Ashes Thread on 21:51 - Dec 7 with 1367 viewsnordenblue

Ashes Thread on 21:30 - Dec 7 by D_Alien

Christ Mark, you've made that same error at least a dozen times in the past couple of months. Just take it on the chin (a bit like a bouncer from Mitchell Starc) and learn from it, it's not the end of the world. If I hadn't pointed it out ( appropriately enough in a cricket thread) someone else would've done sooner or later, and it being me, you've decided to have a go? Ok.

Leave it out,his probably still a bit pissy about that Calvin thread....
Ashes Thread on 22:22 - Dec 7 with 1343 views1mark1

Ashes Thread on 21:51 - Dec 7 by nordenblue

Leave it out,his probably still a bit pissy about that Calvin thread....

And why would that be?
Since that thread, he has played well, and I have myself praised him on this MB.

Ashes Thread on 22:34 - Dec 7 with 1329 views1mark1

Ashes Thread on 21:30 - Dec 7 by D_Alien

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes. Nice to know that my (many ) errors are being kept tags on. Never realised I made the same mistake more than 12 times 😲. Maybe we could have a MB spelling mistake league. 😀

Ashes Thread on 22:38 - Dec 7 with 1327 viewsmingthemerciless

There's an interesting stat in my paper today.

English batsmen have made many more 50's per match in the last two years than any other team, but fewer 100's per match than most of them. Our players have made 100 fifties but only twenty of those innings have been turned into centuries. Only Bangladesh has a worse conversion rate.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2017 9:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024