Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England in Pakistan 10:21 - Dec 1 with 5162 viewsCountyJim

Absolutely demolishing the Pakistani bowlers great start
England in Pakistan on 17:00 - Dec 12 with 642 viewsWhiterockin

England in Pakistan on 16:58 - Dec 12 by trampie

A lot of fuss over nothing again by the English, a South Wales village team would have beaten Pakistan the way they played.

You really are getting very, very boring.
England in Pakistan on 17:06 - Dec 12 with 631 viewsfelixstowe_jack

England in Pakistan on 16:57 - Dec 12 by trampie

He is a New Zealander isn't he ?

A bit like half the Welsh football team who failed so abysmally in the World cup.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

England in Pakistan on 17:12 - Dec 12 with 614 viewstrampie

England in Pakistan on 17:00 - Dec 12 by Whiterockin

You really are getting very, very boring.

Oh come on the English are making a big deal over nothing.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

England in Pakistan on 17:41 - Dec 12 with 589 viewstrampie

Pakistan batting last on a pitch that is a few days old and only lose by 20 odd runs is it......hmm

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

England in Pakistan on 18:25 - Dec 12 with 567 viewsSirjohnalot

Very proud to support this English team, happened to be in J ‘Bourg and Barnados in the past when they’ve been there. Incredible achievement for the entire country.
England in Pakistan on 18:34 - Dec 12 with 559 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 17:12 - Dec 12 by trampie

Oh come on the English are making a big deal over nothing.

The English team has also had many welsh players play for them. When I played club cricket, my dream was to play sat Lords. Matey Maynard and Darren Gough were my heroes
England in Pakistan on 18:39 - Dec 12 with 549 viewstrampie

England in Pakistan on 18:34 - Dec 12 by Sirjohnalot

The English team has also had many welsh players play for them. When I played club cricket, my dream was to play sat Lords. Matey Maynard and Darren Gough were my heroes

Not been rude but you do seem a bit naive, i say that because many think that not as many Welsh players have played test cricket as there should have been.

England in Pakistan on 18:52 - Dec 12 with 531 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 18:39 - Dec 12 by trampie

Not been rude but you do seem a bit naive, i say that because many think that not as many Welsh players have played test cricket as there should have been.

I’ve played and watched cricket all my life, watched England both home and abroad and was as season ticket holder with Glam for years, Somerset when I lived there and now Lancashire over the past 20 years.

Most counties will argue they should have had more representation with England, for years Glamorgan were not and are currently not good enough. Hugh Morris and Steve James (Steve James was from Lyndney) should have played more, Crofty played a long time, Maynard (Oldham) had his chance but didn’t have the temperament. Tony Lewis captained England (dad’s claim to fame that they opened Neath Grammar School and Glamorgan seconds batting together)

Adrian Dale was decent but not international class, Steve Watkin was given chances, Adrian Shaw wasn’t bad but with Alec Stewart there, he’d never get a look in, Darren Thomas, Owen Parkin, Cosker all decent county pros. Lefebre was Dutch.

Which other Welsh players should have played more often ?

Bearing in mind the exalted position Hugh Morris held for many years.
Login to get fewer ads

England in Pakistan on 19:00 - Dec 12 with 516 viewsCountyJim

Alan Jones was unlucky because at his time England had fantastic openers he was a bit down the list sad but if you think logically about right at the time.

Alan was my hero growing up
England in Pakistan on 19:03 - Dec 12 with 514 viewsCountyJim

I think I'm right in saying that Alan was the highest scoring England qualified batsman not to get a cap .
England in Pakistan on 19:03 - Dec 12 with 513 viewstrampie

England in Pakistan on 18:52 - Dec 12 by Sirjohnalot

I’ve played and watched cricket all my life, watched England both home and abroad and was as season ticket holder with Glam for years, Somerset when I lived there and now Lancashire over the past 20 years.

Most counties will argue they should have had more representation with England, for years Glamorgan were not and are currently not good enough. Hugh Morris and Steve James (Steve James was from Lyndney) should have played more, Crofty played a long time, Maynard (Oldham) had his chance but didn’t have the temperament. Tony Lewis captained England (dad’s claim to fame that they opened Neath Grammar School and Glamorgan seconds batting together)

Adrian Dale was decent but not international class, Steve Watkin was given chances, Adrian Shaw wasn’t bad but with Alec Stewart there, he’d never get a look in, Darren Thomas, Owen Parkin, Cosker all decent county pros. Lefebre was Dutch.

Don Shepherd took over 2000 first class wickets at an average of 21, the most wickets of any player never to get a test cap.

Alan Jones had more first-class runs than any other player not to receive a Test cap.

Both players Welsh and both players played for Glamorgan, many see it as a scandal.

England in Pakistan on 19:11 - Dec 12 with 492 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 19:03 - Dec 12 by trampie

Don Shepherd took over 2000 first class wickets at an average of 21, the most wickets of any player never to get a test cap.

Alan Jones had more first-class runs than any other player not to receive a Test cap.

Both players Welsh and both players played for Glamorgan, many see it as a scandal.

That’s your premise ?

Alan Jones finished playing in the early 80s and Shepherd, early 70s. That’s is your evidence for some form of anti welsh bias ?
England in Pakistan on 19:11 - Dec 12 with 492 viewsCountyJim

England in Pakistan on 19:03 - Dec 12 by trampie

Don was before my time so can't really comment but see my post about Alan unfortunately it was the wrong time for Alan to many fabulous openers at the time
England in Pakistan on 19:18 - Dec 12 with 480 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 19:00 - Dec 12 by CountyJim

Alan Jones was unlucky because at his time England had fantastic openers he was a bit down the list sad but if you think logically about right at the time.

Alan was my hero growing up

I was lucky growing up seeing overseas players like Viv, Waqur, Matt Elliot. Viv and Waqur were amazing, but I’d never seen anyone like Viv. What a player.
England in Pakistan on 19:19 - Dec 12 with 472 viewsWhiterockin

England in Pakistan on 19:11 - Dec 12 by CountyJim

Don was before my time so can't really comment but see my post about Alan unfortunately it was the wrong time for Alan to many fabulous openers at the time

The back of my mind is something about Shep not being able to bat and at the time he had a lot of competition who could bat as well as being top bowlers.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 19:28]
England in Pakistan on 19:25 - Dec 12 with 451 viewstrampie

England in Pakistan on 19:11 - Dec 12 by Sirjohnalot

That’s your premise ?

Alan Jones finished playing in the early 80s and Shepherd, early 70s. That’s is your evidence for some form of anti welsh bias ?

Don Shepherd is one of the greatest ever county championship bowlers, its widely regarded as a travesty that he never played a test match he was at the top of the county game for years and years, it is why i said to you you was naive in saying many Welsh players had played test cricket for England when people thought the exact opposite, i realise you are young but for decades and decades there was a feeling that if you was Welsh and played for Glamorgan then your chances of getting a test cap was greatly reduced, that was a widely held view, that is not just me saying, but it did seem to be the case back in the day.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 19:29]

England in Pakistan on 19:53 - Dec 12 with 417 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 19:25 - Dec 12 by trampie

Don Shepherd is one of the greatest ever county championship bowlers, its widely regarded as a travesty that he never played a test match he was at the top of the county game for years and years, it is why i said to you you was naive in saying many Welsh players had played test cricket for England when people thought the exact opposite, i realise you are young but for decades and decades there was a feeling that if you was Welsh and played for Glamorgan then your chances of getting a test cap was greatly reduced, that was a widely held view, that is not just me saying, but it did seem to be the case back in the day.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 19:29]

Please don’t patronise me. The same was said in the late 90s with Glamorgan. Even if what you say was true, we’re talking many decades ago, the English selectors may well have had their favourite counties then but the present Test set up is entirely different. This is a side which represents any Welsh and English cricket fan, to say a Welsh village side could’ve won, was, I presume, tongue in cheek
England in Pakistan on 20:00 - Dec 12 with 409 viewstrampie

England in Pakistan on 19:53 - Dec 12 by Sirjohnalot

Please don’t patronise me. The same was said in the late 90s with Glamorgan. Even if what you say was true, we’re talking many decades ago, the English selectors may well have had their favourite counties then but the present Test set up is entirely different. This is a side which represents any Welsh and English cricket fan, to say a Welsh village side could’ve won, was, I presume, tongue in cheek

I'm not patronising you, what I said was a widely held grievance by Glamorgan cricket fans when i used to watch them back in the day.

England in Pakistan on 20:19 - Dec 12 with 394 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 20:00 - Dec 12 by trampie

I'm not patronising you, what I said was a widely held grievance by Glamorgan cricket fans when i used to watch them back in the day.

My point was that even if that was the case, it isn’t now. The English team is class and very inclusive of all counties. If you are Welsh and good enough you’d play
England in Pakistan on 21:20 - Dec 12 with 370 viewsmax936

England in Pakistan on 17:06 - Dec 12 by felixstowe_jack

A bit like half the Welsh football team who failed so abysmally in the World cup.

Bet you loved that.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

England in Pakistan on 21:24 - Dec 12 with 369 viewsmax936

England in Pakistan on 18:52 - Dec 12 by Sirjohnalot

Steve Watkin is a friend of mine and lives close by, lovely chap he is to, still heavily involved with the cricket when he's not playing with cars.

England in Pakistan on 21:33 - Dec 12 with 357 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 21:24 - Dec 12 by max936

Steve Watkin is a friend of mine and lives close by, lovely chap he is to, still heavily involved with the cricket when he's not playing with cars.

Used to see him when I was in Cefn Saeson in the shop up the road from the school. Always said hello to us. Never refused an autograph (around 94-95)
England in Pakistan on 21:56 - Dec 12 with 338 viewsmax936

England in Pakistan on 21:33 - Dec 12 by Sirjohnalot

Used to see him when I was in Cefn Saeson in the shop up the road from the school. Always said hello to us. Never refused an autograph (around 94-95)

I got to know through a friend yrs ago and we remain friends, I worked in his house a couple of yrs ago, job should only have lasted hr half tops, I was there all afternoon helping him with his Landie he was and still is rebuilding

England in Pakistan on 22:13 - Dec 12 with 317 viewstrampie

England in Pakistan on 20:19 - Dec 12 by Sirjohnalot

My point was that even if that was the case, it isn’t now. The English team is class and very inclusive of all counties. If you are Welsh and good enough you’d play

You didn't originally state that, you did not seem to know that a few decades ago it was widely questioned that Welsh Glamorgan players were overlooked to play test cricket.

As for the English team being 'class' they lost 4-0 against Australia last time out.

England in Pakistan on 22:31 - Dec 12 with 304 viewsSirjohnalot

England in Pakistan on 22:13 - Dec 12 by trampie

You didn't originally state that, you did not seem to know that a few decades ago it was widely questioned that Welsh Glamorgan players were overlooked to play test cricket.

As for the English team being 'class' they lost 4-0 against Australia last time out.

We’ll agree to differ that winning 2-0 in Pakistan is an incredible achievement
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024